Hudson-Odoi - what's wrong with the country

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8740 times

Re: Hudson-Odoi - what's wrong with the country

Post by IanMcL » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:56 pm

RalphCoatesComb wrote:And, they'll be coming to you for another pint ;)
PPI!

Person Pint Incentive!
This user liked this post: RalphCoatesComb

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8740 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:06 pm

Brentford just got a pen/goal, for their striker doing a cartwheel. No contact but the twist and turn and fall was enough for the short sighted one.

Claret
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 655 times

Post by Claret » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:39 pm

I think the line should be drawn whenever a player dives, exaggerates or simulates in any way regardless of whether there was contact. The ref should be allowed to wave play on even if it was a foul.
It really is one of the most pathetic sights in modern football to watch grown men throw themselves to the floor at the hint of a touch.
I can’t belive some people on this message board have been defending Hudson odoi’s dive.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone dsr

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 511 times
Has Liked: 1062 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:46 pm

I can’t believe reading that Lowton had no choice because H Odoi stopped/slowed down in front of him.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:47 pm

We were talking about this in the pub after the game - one of the lads suggesting awarding a penalty to the other team if a player is caught diving to try and get a penalty.
Not the worst idea I’ve ever heard
Mine would be a straight red or even introduce the sin bin - make them spend 20 mins in it. You could use the sin bin for other stuff...works well in rugby. Like Dyche said when it’s just a yellow card players know they can cheat once. H-O got a yellow card on Saturday - so what ? In his position he’s unlikely to get enough yellows to get banned so it’s meaningless and definitely not a deterrent to stop doing it in the next game.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:49 pm

Darnhill Claret wrote:I can’t believe reading that Lowton had no choice because H Odoi stopped/slowed down in front of him.
I'm sure running at speed into someone you wouldn't have your hands by your side....instinct kicks in maybe.

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:50 pm

There was a push - but it was very slight and the player was already simulating his fall at the time.
The foul is the simulation
If Lowts was a push then there will be a penalty at every corner where far more robust pushing takes place
Anyone booked for simulation should not be allowed to be considered for international football for 3 Months that would help sort it

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:51 pm

SalisburyClaret wrote: Anyone booked for simulation should not be allowed to be considered for international football for 3 Months that would help sort it
Not sure that’s much of a deterrent for those who have no chance of getting selected !!

Claret
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 655 times

Post by Claret » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:02 pm

Meanwhile, Ashley Barnes can be a bit embarrassing when defenders challenge for headers and he does that bending forward action and holds the back of his head. Chris Wood on the other hand is a superb example of how to play the game fairly. He never dives or exaggerates even when kicked, pushed or whatever, even if it’s in the penalty area.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Darnhill Claret

Post by Darnhill Claret » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:03 pm

Well, as you can’t tackle from behind, why would you be directly behind an opponent? Smacks of tailgating.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:10 pm

Darnhill Claret wrote:Well, as you can’t tackle from behind, why would you be directly behind an opponent? Smacks of tailgating.
I think you'll see H-O cuts across Him. Now at Arsenal a couple of seasons Back..Kevin Long was static in the Penalty box and was pushed two Handed. Surprise surprise nothing Given.

Darnhill Claret

Post by Darnhill Claret » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:33 pm

Defenders can be quite cute, with quick short arm pushes, which they often don’t get penalised for. Lowts gave him a quick push on the blind side of the ref. Good, if you get away with it, stupid, if you don’t. But let’s not try and excuse it, when we would call for a penalty if that was done to our players.

WadingInDeeper
Been Liked: 155 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by WadingInDeeper » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:55 pm

Claret wrote:I think the line should be drawn whenever a player dives, exaggerates or simulates in any way regardless of whether there was contact. The ref should be allowed to wave play on even if it was a foul.
It really is one of the most pathetic sights in modern football to watch grown men throw themselves to the floor at the hint of a touch.
I can’t belive some people on this message board have been defending Hudson odoi’s dive.
Tonight I saw a young lad, probably about 10, put the ball past a player on the edge of the box, deliberately run into his leg and throw himself to the floor (nothing given). When I was that age, we would have jumped the sliding tackle, and crossed the ball.

How much is what they see in the adult game being repeated at junior level.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:00 am

WadingInDeeper wrote:How much is what they see in the adult game being repeated at junior level.
A lot. I've seen kids as young as 7 take their top off when they score. They have no idea why they are doing it, but do it because they saw some worthless piece of braincell do it on TV so they think they need to do it.

How about... if a pro footballer does it - red card. Not yellow. Red.

Notsosuperstevedavis
Been Liked: 101 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Notsosuperstevedavis » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:08 am

what's going on here is a form of media savvy / political correctness that's crept into our game

Redknapp knows he might have to stand next to HO at some point in the future and look him in the eye. For this to not be awkward - he needs to NOT call him a cheat. So its not a true opinion really.

Now, ask Roy Keane, and I'm sure you'd have got a entirely different answer - he simply doesn't give a ****.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2634 times
Has Liked: 6461 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:16 am

Darnhill Claret wrote:I can’t believe reading that Lowton had no choice because H Odoi stopped/slowed down in front of him.
Darnhill Claret wrote:Well, as you can’t tackle from behind, why would you be directly behind an opponent? Smacks of tailgating.
Spoken by a clear armchair fan who has probably never actually played the sport (or any sport for that matter) to a high enough standard to understand the physics of movement and momentum in a situation like this.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:08 am

Rileybobs wrote:It was said tongue in cheek. But I don’t think you’ll find many Burnley fans who would rather be watching us play in League One and I don’t think you’ll find many Stanley fans who wouldn’t rather be watching their side in the Premier League.
Apologies Riley - missed the irony there. True but many Burnley fans have said on here that they prefer the Championship in a lot of ways, in fact I do. I don't want us relegated of course because I want us to play at the top but take a step down and we play with less fear and the competition is infinitely better. As for Stanley fans I think they'd be terrified at the thought of PL football. :lol:

Spike
Been Liked: 598 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Spike » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:25 pm

Callum Hudson I-Dive
This user liked this post: IanMcL

Darnhill Claret

Post by Darnhill Claret » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:13 am

No, Rick Muller, when I played and I had to recover my position if someone had gone past me, I’d be looking to get into position to get by him, to either make a last ditch tackle, or get beyond other defenders, to become the ‘new’ last line of defence, behind other teammates who would hopefully hold him up. But if I decided I had to stop him at all costs with a disguised short arm push, then I’d just run directly behind him until I got close enough to do that, in a position that hopefully would put the referee behind me. Yes at 67 I’m now an armchair fan, when we play away, or a Turf Moor viewing fan when we are at home. I don’t view with your physics brain, but I know about movement and Odoi knew with his speed he was about to collide with Tarks and took evasive action anticipating the inevitable collision. However Tarks very cleverly removed his leg at the last second and Odoi then sailed through midair with a helping hand from Lowts. The ref made a call, which VAR overruled, ref changed his mind and it seems that the part that Lowts played in the incident was thankfully probably not considered.
But thanks for your understanding of physics, movement and momentum. Your personal sporting history must be a catalogue of amazing achievement over a wide variety of athletics and football and of course lots of other sports which must be greater than anyone else’s unless you can’t think how else anyone could possibly hold an opinion that differs from yours.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2634 times
Has Liked: 6461 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:12 am

Darnhill Claret wrote:But thanks for your understanding of physics, movement and momentum. Your personal sporting history must be a catalogue of amazing achievement over a wide variety of athletics and football and of course lots of other sports which must be greater than anyone else’s unless you can’t think how else anyone could possibly hold an opinion that differs from yours.
For the record:
Swimming - County standard for 9 years
Football - Wiltshire Schools player for 3 years
Field Hockey - various levels through school, college and Uni - UWE first team player for 2 years
Triathalon - completed 3 individual and 2 team events (National Team - event won age group)
Golf - Handicap of 5
Ice Hockey - Played a few games for Junior Swindon Wildcats when the team first formed
Water Polo - hobby
Rugby - never liked it, it hurt too much

I've played and competed at a fairly high level in many sports as you can see but this list of sports in not exhaustive, but does answer your question relating to a wide variety of sports where I have experienced the physics of movement and how I understand momentum as I was trying to allude to previously.

I was only trying to defend Lowton for what some regarded as a push in the back of Hudson-Odoi and I offered my opinion based upon my personal experience. I have never played professional football, but my son got close to doing so (and may still do, he's only 19) and we discussed the incident in depth and we concluded that in the split second as Hudson-Odoi cut back across Lowton there was little Lowton could do to avoid putting his hand out and into the small of his back.

I apologise for my personal attack on you calling you an armchair fan, but that is how you came across and I thought it was the only logical conclusion based upon my experience and what was stated.

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1306 times
Has Liked: 1404 times

Post by Aclaret » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:42 pm

Spike wrote:Callum Hudson I-Dive
Not to be confused with SD saying Touch and Go ( You touch him, he goes over )

Darnhill Claret

Post by Darnhill Claret » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:32 pm

Apology accepted Rick.
Don’t worry, no matter what anyone’s sporting achievements might be, everyone just offers an opinion. All opinions are of equal value. Of course people know why someone might extend an arm to cushion a possible coming together and to avoid a tangle of legs, even an ‘armchair fan’. I was just playing at being ‘devil’s advocate’. We all look at things differently from time to time. I’m proud to consider myself a ‘happy clapper’ so I’m usually having to defend my pro BFC stance, but on the actual happenings within a game I can view it from both a player’s view (either team) (defender or attacker) or a ref’s view. Now that is not always an easy balance to strike. However it becomes a lot easier when lots of posters agree with each other and start to translate their opinions into facts with comments like, ‘must never have played the game’ or ‘typical armchair fan’, etc.

I like that you are an allrounder though. Hope you continue to support your son with whatever sporting ambitions he might have. Not always easy to achieve your full potential if there is no-one supporting you. UTC.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller