Lighting outside Jimmy M stand

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Foreverly Claret
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 160 times

Lighting outside Jimmy M stand

Post by Foreverly Claret » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:16 pm

My wife suffered appalling injuries after tripping over a raised kerb ( God knows why its there ) near the gate at the Brunshaw Rd. end of the Jimmy Mac stand after the game on Saturday..the light on the end of the stand wasn't working which is crazy when thousands of fans are making their way towards Brunshaw Road following a late kick off at this time of year .The St.John's Ambulance people and their doctor were incredible..luckily the first aid room was still open...they made sure she was as comfortable as possible then arranged for the ambulance to A & E .She was operated on in BRH today and will be incapacitated for at least 8 weeks..she has a fractured Kneecap on her left leg and a fractured humerus in her right arm .Big thanks to the young lady who used her Clarets scarf to staunch the blood from the cuts on her face and helped to comfort her.I don't know who you are but you are a gem .Get some bloody lights on next time.

claretnproud
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Re: Lighting outside Jimmy M stand

Post by claretnproud » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:22 pm

Foreverly Claret wrote:My wife suffered appalling injuries after tripping over a raised kerb ( God knows why its there ) near the gate at the Brunshaw Rd. end of the Jimmy Mac stand after the game on Saturday..the light on the end of the stand wasn't working which is crazy when thousands of fans are making their way towards Brunshaw Road following a late kick off at this time of year .The St.John's Ambulance people and their doctor were incredible..luckily the first aid room was still open...they made sure she was as comfortable as possible then arranged for the ambulance to A & E .She was operated on in BRH today and will be incapacitated for at least 8 weeks..she has a fractured Kneecap on her left leg and a fractured humerus in her right arm .Big thanks to the young lady who used her Clarets scarf to staunch the blood from the cuts on her face and helped to comfort her.I don't know who you are but you are a gem .Get some bloody lights on next time.
Sorry to hear about this. I have thought for a long time that the kerb you are referring to is ridiculous given the location. I would be amazed if there have not been several other incidents. Hope you talk to a solicitor about this. Its not good enough at all. Hope your wife fully recovers asap.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:24 pm

Did VAR intervene ?
No, seriously, Forever - that is a horrible thing to happen - the shock as well as the pretty substantial injuries.
I hope your wife makes a speedy recovery and that you and your family can support each other as much as possible.

Have you got some good takeaways near you ? ;)

claretnproud
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by claretnproud » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:27 pm

I dont think its necessarily a lights thing. When moving in a crowd round there all you can see is people. Very easy to turn an ankle on that silly kerb. It needs ripping up and a gradual slope needs to replace it.

claret wizard
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by claret wizard » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:51 pm

I saw your wife being tended to after the game and knew it must have been the stupid kerb. She looked in a bad way and I'm glad to hear that she's recovering, although with horrible injuries.

In a more general point to the club, and following on from many comments on here I suggest they go about getting a much better risk assessment done around the ground. This kerb has been mentioned before, and the crush in the Cricket Field Stand is another obvious area that needs improvement. I hate talking about solicitors but if that is what is needed to get the club to concentrate on fan safety then it should be done.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:53 pm

I'm guessing there will be better lighting for the next match.

The Club lay themselves wide open to litigation in circumstances like this.

Hope your wife is OK Foreverly but, standby for waves of "You've had an accident" calls

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1898 times
Has Liked: 1965 times

Post by Vino blanco » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:54 pm

So, she's touch and go for cooking the Christmas dinner then.

On a serious note, hope she recovers quickly and you look after her.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:57 pm

Glad she's ok... Looked In a very bad way. An accident waiting to happen happened.. Whys the kerb even their? A speedy recovery. Probably a council issue at a guess.

woody
Been Liked: 26 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by woody » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:31 pm

tim_noone wrote:Glad she's ok... Looked In a very bad way. An accident waiting to happen happened.. Whys the kerb even their? A speedy recovery. Probably a council issue at a guess.
It’s not a council issue, it’s on the clubs land . Entirely their responsibility.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:34 pm

Best wishes to your wife Foreverly Claret.

Sounds like a nasty fall. Hope she's on the mend soon.

thelaughingclaret
Been Liked: 291 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Post by thelaughingclaret » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:36 pm

There needs to be a light in that memorial garden. Walking along that path through it towards the end where it joins with the normal pavement and they are some what I presume were once flower beds.
Lighting is also bad round the back of t. Long side where the fenced off area is. The fence block things stick out and with it being dark and crowded it seems like a hazard. Does the club still have a safety officer? Surley we can afford to stick a few lights up

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:38 pm

woody wrote:It’s not a council issue, it’s on the clubs land . Entirely their responsibility.
Ok.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32243 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:24 pm

Firstly and most importantly I’d like to send my best wishes to Foreverly Claret’s wife. I fell over a kerb a couple of weeks ago but the damage was limited to my face but this is far more serious.

I’m not sure I know exactly where this hazard is but others on this thread do. I would assume the club are aware of the accident but they need to know about the circumstances. Cliff Edens is the safety officer although I have heard he is leaving.

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:50 pm

1) I hope the missus gets better soon. Sounds bloody horrific.
2) I'd sue the club. When it comes to safety issues, I just don't think they take things that seriously. A big fat compo claim might open their eyes.

Foreverly Claret
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 160 times

Post by Foreverly Claret » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:53 am

Thanks to all for your constructive observations , sympathy and advice .My wife was operated on yesterday to have her patella wired..it will be at least 8 weeks before she is mobile .The humerus has to heal on its own.Her face will be OK .On my way home from Blackburn yesterday I called at the Turf to see where it happened in daylight and that bit of kerb is a nonsense and its sticking up about an inch and a half so CT I'll mention it to the Club .Thanks once again to all who have posted and helped on the night .By the way I had heard a lot of bad stories about BRH but they have been fantastic so far .

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:03 am

Foreverly Claret wrote:Thanks to all for your constructive observations , sympathy and advice .My wife was operated on yesterday to have her patella wired..it will be at least 8 weeks before she is mobile .The humerus has to heal on its own.Her face will be OK .On my way home from Blackburn yesterday I called at the Turf to see where it happened in daylight and that bit of kerb is a nonsense and its sticking up about an inch and a half so CT I'll mention it to the Club .Thanks once again to all who have posted and helped on the night .By the way I had heard a lot of bad stories about BRH but they have been fantastic so far .
A Long time recovering with the fractured patella... I did mine. ATB with the rehabilitation and all things Legal.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6903 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:04 am

Walked past your wife and she looked in a bad way, glad to hear she's on the mend. I suspect that the kerb and section of road where this happened is council adopted highway though, in which case those suggesting that you sue the club have jumped the gun unsurprisingly. I'm also not sure whether the issue is with lack of lighting but more due to the volume of people meaning that you can't see where you're putting your feet.

The reality is that this is just a normal stretch of road with a raised footpath either side though. This is designed for pedestrians to use the footpath and not the carriageway, although that is unrealistic on matchdays considering the volume of people. Obviously there is a safety concern here though so hopefully the club or the local authority will be able to improve the situation.
This user liked this post: tim_noone