How are we doing so far ?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

How are we doing so far ?

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:24 pm

I had a feeling watford might struggle this season and go down,
I also thought brighton and villa would be joining them.
Hard to tell, but about 1/4 way through now, and we are on 12 pts, had been 7th, now 13th spot.
I imagine we'll be safe, but probably going to have a real fight on our hands as the season progresses. early days I know, and a win could see us back on track very soon. What's the feelings about where we are thus far ? can we finish top half or will it be danger zone ?

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Re: How are we doing so far ?

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:29 pm

I'd class it currently as 'reasonable'. Not great, not terrible. We could have been worse, we could have picked up a couple more points. But, yeah.. it's been reasonable.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3605 times

Post by DCWat » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:29 pm

I think we will be fine this season, hopefully around 10th to 12th. A couple of wins in the next few and we are continuing to keep above the point a game mark.

The league will be clearer in a month or so, I reckon.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:42 pm

At the start of the season I thought that we would finish around 15th place. I still think that.

We don't seem to be as good defensively as we have been in previous seasons, but we are creating more and better goal scoring opportunities than we have before. I suppose that is the nature of 4-4-2, it's hard to get both right.

What I have seen is an overall improvement, and that's the main thing.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:11 pm

As long as we are 17th or higher, the books are balanced and we freeze season tickets the season will be deemed another huge success.

I thought we would be around 14th, and early signs looked like I may have underestimate us, but finally think the teams are shuffling into some sort of expected position.

If we keep ticking a long as we are we should be fine.

Next few games are realistic ones where we should expect to pick up some points, 5-7 points from the next 4 games and we can start planning for another year at the top table I think.
This user liked this post: Chip Harrison

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:16 pm

We’ve just played Leicester and Chelsea. Both strong ‘top’ teams.

We should have had a point at Leicester and that would have positioned us joint 7th.

Sheffield should prove to be an interesting match!

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:24 pm

I think we'll be okay and with luck could have a top half finish. Things have gone a bit pear shaped last two games but Leicester away and Chelsea were never going to be good for us. Factor in the awful decision at Leicester and the two dropped points at Wolves due the the ultra late penalty and we could have 3 more points than we currently have. The next two games are 'winnable' and if we get at least 4 points from them we'll be back on track for a reasonable finish.

No worries (currently) from me.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:25 pm

About where we expected I think. I'd say we're in a group of about 10 teams who are all much of a muchness. Still think we could finish anywhere from 10th to about 16th.

Squarepusher
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by Squarepusher » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:57 pm

Decent start, I'd say. We've only really lost games that I would have expected us to lose. Outside of that, we've won our home games and drawn our away games. I don't really see too much to complain about in terms of the results themselves.

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 507 times
Has Liked: 1038 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:10 am

I’m happy with the quality of football and still think we’ll finish top half, but I know there are no guarantees, so lots of crucial games to play. The sooner we get to 40 points the better. I’m personally surprised how poor Watford have been so far, but like us last season I think they’ll get out of it. Newcastle and Southampton look two of the poorest teams to me so far but I still wouldn’t be certain that either or both will go, but if pushed I’ll say those two plus 1 more, maybe even a surprise.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:26 am

Leicester sickened me, points are so cruicial and we were denied one . we still seem quite solid , not a team who'll get thrashed.

Wembley09
Been Liked: 75 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by Wembley09 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:29 pm

Every season in the Premier League, I always look for 3/4 teams worse than us.
I can't help it, habit.. even the 7th placed finish season up till Xmas I was looking at teams down there. Huddersfield and Fulham last season looked like gonners from before Xmas.. this year Watford and Norwich look like they could be the same.

I think we have had a steady start so far and put in some solid performances. Looking down, Watford look like they could start to get cut adrift.. Norwich have started to leak a lot, which many expected with very little investment from them this summer.

1 spot left, hopefully we will not be concerned with that whatsoever come May.. but anyway hopefully that will be between Southampton/Newcastle.
Fingers crossed for a top 10 finish, but would take just take safety and a good FA cup run right now :D

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:28 pm

We'll not go down that's for sure,we'll pick up enough points from the 6 pointers with the teams in the bottom half,away form is slightly worrying it'd be good to grab our 1st victory on the road this weekend,the longer it goes without a win the more the pressure grows,arguably our points column should be a tad higher,Wolves(a)Leicester(a) spring to mind,but we snatched an injury-time point at Brighton,and also benefitted greatly from Everton going down to 10 men,so it's swings and roundabouts.

The league is so bunched it's crazy,we're only 4 points above Southampton,and yet we're only 3 points off the top 6,the next 4 games will define our season,a good return 6-7 points upwards and the 20 point mark will be in sight,i always feel more secure when we get past 20 points before Xmas,and our home form should ensure survival as long as we rack up plenty of victories over potential relegation rivals.

Norwich and Southampton are leaking goals ATM,and until they solve their defensive woes,it'll be tough for them to get wins at this level.

Liverpool and Chelsea apart we've looked a lot more solid,and we've got players that can nick goals,allied to that we're seasoned at this level now,and know how to grind results out if needed.