General Election Is On

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Re: General Election Is On

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:38 am

RingoMcCartney wrote::lol: :lol:

If that's the case, and I missed it, do the decent thing and either cut n paste it, identify the post number. Or simply do the easiest thing and instead of wasting time ,using the same amount of time and effort, making à post claiming you've already answered my question, just re-type your answer,

Here's the question-

Given you'll be voting for a party that says it will stop Brexit without a referendum. How would you feel if a government subsequently took us out of the EU anyway, without a referendum?
*the dawning realisation that Ringo reads the board that exists in his own mind, not the one that actually exists*

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1354 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:42 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Farage just declared war on the Conservatives.

This could be the most interesting election ever.
Do you ever get the feeling that these prominent 'Brexiters', like Johnson and Farage, don't actually want Brexit to happen? Like they'd prefer to spend their careers talking about it and complaining about why it hasn't happened, rather than it actually happening and then having nothing left to talk about?
This user liked this post: TVC15

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5559 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:43 am

Sounds like he was begging them to form a pact to me.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:46 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:Sounds like he was begging them to form a pact to me.
Guess we will see just how much to the right the Conservatives have got.

If they offer him a pact, then they will lose even more moderate votes and MPs.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:48 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:*the dawning realisation that Ringo reads the board that exists in his own mind, not the one that actually exists*

The amount of time and effort put into the above post would, presumably, be around the same as simply retyping the answer you claim to have given!

:lol:

So , either

1, Just name the number of the post where you believe your answer is.

2 Cut n paste it.

Or

3, Just re-type your updated answer.

The question-

Given you'll be voting for a party that says it will stop Brexit without a referendum. How would you feel if a government subsequently took us out of the EU anyway, without a referendum?

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:51 am

Gauntlet's been laid down,let's see what the response from Boris is,Farage does raise a valid point many seats could be won with a relatively low share of the vote,if 4 parties are vigorously contesting 35% could well under FPTP prove enough to win.

There will seemingly be a leave alliance versus a remain alliance,and traditional loyalties could well fall by the wayside.

Your right whatever the outcome it's going to be interesting.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:53 am

TVC15 wrote:I’m stunned you were stunned tbh.
Just like what happened in America the biggest single reason people voted how they did was their own economic / financial position.
Forget all this crap about getting our sovereignty back - that’s only a factor for some people when money isn’t.
This country would have been nowhere without the migrant population - my guess from their point of view they have as much right as anyone to vote for leave if they believe uncontrolled migration might put their own livelihoods at risk (not my views btw)

Unfortunately I didn’t get the chance to ask him on his reasons , he had to dash off with a delivery.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:54 am

Boris will have to back down otherwise his party is going to be even more embarrassed than the last election. He has nothing to gain and everything to lose, but if he does back down then what does that say about who he answers to?

Whatever happens it's going to be hilarious.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:56 am

wickdkewlclaret wrote:Read Labours policies. It’s hard to not agree with all of them. Torries have done a shite job, no contest.

Quote some and we can have a debate on their merits and likelihood they could ever be implemented.

Could be enlightening.

aggi
Been Liked: 2119 times

Post by aggi » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:59 am

I suspect there's still some more mileage in the Hacker Hopuse/Arcuri grant.

Looking at the application here https://twitter.com/tom_watson/status/1 ... 0933880832" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it's pretty clear that the grant shouldn't have been awarded. The question is just going to be whether this is linked to Johnson or some other dubiousness elsewhere.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:00 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Guess we will see just how much to the right the Conservatives have got.

If they offer him a pact, then they will lose even more moderate votes and MPs.

You keep peddling this far right rhetoric about the Brexit Party.

If you watched it they had two speakers on stage, Ann a lifelong Tory. Claire a Marxist. Two complete opposites, Ann even said such in her speech.
They agree about nothing other than Brexit.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:05 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:You keep peddling this far right rhetoric about the Brexit Party.

If you watched it they had two speakers on stage, Ann a lifelong Tory. Claire a Marxist. Two complete opposites, Ann even said such in her speech.
Which clearly demonstrates exactly why nobody should vote for them in a GE.

aggi

Post by aggi » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:09 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:You keep peddling this far right rhetoric about the Brexit Party.

Would this be Claire who used to work for a publication funded by the right-wing Koch brothers?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:10 pm

The Brexit Party is to the right of the Conservative Party.

Until I see some actual policies, thats is where their support is and that is where they are in electoral terms.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:32 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:The Brexit Party is to the right of the Conservative Party.

Until I see some actual policies, thats is where their support is and that is where they are in electoral terms.
When they held a meeting about British steel. Can be watched on utube.

Their proposals were that certain industries should be classed as protected industries and British steel was one.

To that end it should be UK owned.

A regional bank should be set up and be used to give long term low interest loans for investment into infrastructure, expansion.

It was also proposed that workers should also own a stake in the company.

Short term finance provided by people who are looking for quicker returns than the investment bank.

Would you describe that as left, right or far right thinking?

RMutt
Been Liked: 373 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by RMutt » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:32 pm

aggi wrote:
Looking at the application here https://twitter.com/tom_watson/status/1 ... 0933880832" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it's pretty clear that the grant shouldn't have been awarded..
Crikey, that is an understatement on a stick!

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:34 pm

aggi wrote:Would this be Claire who used to work for a publication funded by the right-wing Koch brothers?

You could be right, I don’t know.

But she certainly tells you in no uncertain terms she is far left.

claret2018
Been Liked: 810 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:40 pm

Coming soon to a cinema near you…..

A made up a story about a ‘foreign’ delivery driver who inexplicably told a customer he voted leave, and the customer’s surprise at this, as he thought all foreigners were coming here to take our jobs and was told that leaving the EU would end this sort of thing.

Starring Benedict Wong as “an Asian”, and Jim Davidson as Lowbankclaret
These 3 users liked this post: Greenmile SammyBoy Swizzlestick

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:44 pm

The election hasn't started too well for Boris, has it?

His deal has been written off as rubbish from all quarters, including those who he thought were allies.

He can't even push his domestic agenda for things such as the NHS, as he'll be accused of selling it off to the Americans.

Putting aside the marginal seats where Labour are in danger of losing them, let's not forget there are many Tory marginals as well where they are in big danger.

It does look increasingly likely that they will lose quite a few seats before they even think about getting an overall majority.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:48 pm

Interesting graph
EISLzZvXsAAHygJ.jpg
EISLzZvXsAAHygJ.jpg (260.52 KiB) Viewed 1318 times

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:06 pm

Lancs,

That’s not a surprise to be fair.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:10 pm

claret2018 wrote:Coming soon to a cinema near you…..

A made up a story about a ‘foreign’ delivery driver who inexplicably told a customer he voted leave, and the customer’s surprise at this, as he thought all foreigners were coming here to take our jobs and was told that leaving the EU would end this sort of thing.

Just to correct a minor thing.
He told the guy taking the orders he voted leave when asked by him.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:13 pm

wickdkewlclaret wrote:Read Labours policies. It’s hard to not agree with all of them. Torries have done a shite job, no contest.

Been on labours website, it still has the 2017 manifesto listed.

There are links to topics, buts it’s mainly waffle with no real statements, and no I didn’t them all just two.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3340 times
Has Liked: 1959 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:22 pm

FOR GOD SAKE CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW THE POLLS ARE LOOKING!!!!!

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:28 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:FOR GOD SAKE CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW THE POLLS ARE LOOKING!!!!!
They're stealing fish
These 5 users liked this post: claret2018 Bordeauxclaret Greenmile longsidepies AndrewJB

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:30 pm

You are in luck

Bizarre how Andy has missed this one!

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/ar ... _vote_2019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: KateR

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:32 pm

Tories to lose but they managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in 2017 with some stupid last minute additions, let's see if BJ and Co managed to learn anything from that.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:35 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:Been on labours website, it still has the 2017 manifesto listed.

There are links to topics, buts it’s mainly waffle with no real statements, and no I didn’t them all just two.

Oh my god. How incompetent that they still have 2017's manifesto on their website a few days after an election was called.

Believe it or not, Lowbank, not all parties can get away with having a manifesto that's as easily written as "Get Brexit done. And stop the foreigners coming here."

Some of us actually expect substance from our parties.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:37 pm

There's no way that BJ is going to ditch his deal to hold hands with Farage. It's just not going to happen and Farage knows this.

aggi

Post by aggi » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:45 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:You could be right, I don’t know.

But she certainly tells you in no uncertain terms she is far left.
My point was more which Claire was it? If it was the terrorist-sympathising (I know that politicians who have potentially supported terrorism is an issue for you) Claire Fox then yes.

RMutt
Been Liked: 373 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by RMutt » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:49 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Interesting graph
EISLzZvXsAAHygJ.jpg
That’s an interesting graphic Lancasterclaret. I suspect Rossendale will be one of the strips of blue amongst the red. Both Rossendale and Burnley are areas where deprivation has increased the most in recent years. I wonder if the people of Rossendale will wake up and see that this government isn’t working for them.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:52 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:There's no way that BJ is going to ditch his deal to hold hands with Farage. It's just not going to happen and Farage know this.

Yeah, i think you're right. Farage will always do what Farage thinks is best for Farage. Maybe Farage is the one who will back down, which should be a red flag to everyone who thinks that Boris intends a No Deal Brexit. But if Farage doesn't get those secret assurances that No Deal will happen he might be hoping to force the issue by winning enough seats to force Johnson into coalition government with him. Johnson would be easily able to accept this because then he can blame someone else for the effects of a No Deal Brexit (by arguing that his deal would've avoided the disaster) while at the same time defending the decision to enter a coalition by arguing that if he hadn't then there wouldn't have been any Brexit at all.

Of course, if Farage does cost the Tories a majority without getting enough BXP seats to form a coalition government, and the Remain parties get to form a government then Farage will be to blame, but by then it wouldn't really matter anyway. If Brexit happens his career is over anyway. If it doesn't happen and it's his fault then his career is over anyway as well. Either way he'll slink off with the millions he's made from dumb AF rubes who supported him all these years.
But if he can enter government with the Tories then his career can continue and he'd be viewed as the saviour of Brexit by those same dumb AF rubes.

He's got nothing to lose.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:53 pm

This is Farage’s last stand imo, he’s again massaging his huge ego threatening to field 500 candidates against Boris .
His BP support looks to be about 3-5 points down and nothing like the “glory” days of UKIP ( which essentially the BP is) of around 15-17% . I personally think Farage has had his peak and the public appetite for “ 100% no deal “ has waned . Boris should be able to fend off BP easily in the Tory heartlands but marginals could be squeaky bum time for BJ

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:56 pm

RMutt wrote:That’s an interesting graphic Lancasterclaret. I suspect Rossendale will be one of the strips of blue amongst the red. Both Rossendale and Burnley are areas where deprivation has increased the most in recent years. I wonder if the people of Rossendale will wake up and see that this government isn’t working for them.
That is the bit I don't get.

I understand the lure of Brexit, but I don't understand how trusting a Conservative Govt brings about the changes that are needed.

For any sort of change, you have to vote for anybody else other than the Conservatives.

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:04 pm

claret2018 wrote:Coming soon to a cinema near you…..

Why was the Benedict Wong character delivering a pizza in an Asian dress in the first place? Was Jim Davidson hosting a cross dressing party?

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:19 pm

What a pathetic coward if he does!

Emily Ashton
@elashton
Nigel Farage just told Radio 2 he doesn't expect Boris Johnson to stand in Uxbridge but "head off to a safer seat somewhere"

KateR

Post by KateR » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:46 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:That is the bit I don't get.

I understand the lure of Brexit, but I don't understand how trusting a Conservative Govt brings about the changes that are needed.

For any sort of change, you have to vote for anybody else other than the Conservatives.

why, when any sort of change can be worse.

by your definition for any sort of change you should have voted Brexit

Can existing Governments not change also? Can there not be improvements via this route?

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:54 pm

KateR wrote:why, when any sort of change can be worse.

Can existing Governments not change also? Can there not be improvements via this route?
Not if the Tories are in power.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:03 pm

KateR wrote:why, when any sort of change can be worse.

Simple really

The Conservatives don't do change.

If they win a majority after ten years of austerity, what do you think they are going to do?

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:03 pm

Spijed wrote:What a pathetic coward if he does!

Emily Ashton
@elashton
Nigel Farage just told Radio 2 he doesn't expect Boris Johnson to stand in Uxbridge but "head off to a safer seat somewhere"
This fake news has already been dismissed, he's already been reselected for Uxbridge.
Attachments
4.PNG
4.PNG (19.69 KiB) Viewed 1126 times

KateR

Post by KateR » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:13 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Simple really

The Conservatives don't do change.

If they win a majority after ten years of austerity, what do you think they are going to do?
Simple really
after years of austerity forced on the world by others they have stated we are coming out of it and purse strings are being released somewhat, NHS, more policing, tougher on crime, things which resonate with many voters. Therefore I see change if they stick to there word and opposition don't thwart them.

However of course there is the camp that thinks BJ is a liar and would therefore never vote Tory, yet at the same time (admittedly reading between lines) this same camp would never vote Tory, so it's immaterial anyway.

I would never vote for this Labour party solely based on the leaders, and I do not trust them at all to run a country.

LibDems I would not vote for based on there Brexit stance and lack of experience.

I have voted Labour, LibDem and Tory in the past, but I vote mainly on what I believe they can do for the country in general and not me or my family, but there is an obvious connection there, I'm a firm believer in that if the country does well it trickles down and the majority do well.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:14 pm

RMutt wrote:That’s an interesting graphic Lancasterclaret. I suspect Rossendale will be one of the strips of blue amongst the red. Both Rossendale and Burnley are areas where deprivation has increased the most in recent years. I wonder if the people of Rossendale will wake up and see that this government isn’t working for them.
You obviously no nothing about Rossendale to call it a deprived area

I have lived in Rawtenstall for the past 3 years and the place is a boom town. Bacup is also finally taking off. House prices in the west of the valley have risen 30% over the last 4 years. Valley folk are a canny lot and they know what side their bread is buttered.
This user liked this post: Dy1geo

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:21 pm

KateR wrote:Simple really
after years of austerity forced on the world by others they have stated we are coming out of it and purse strings are being released somewhat, NHS, more policing, tougher on crime, things which resonate with many voters. Therefore I see change if they stick to there word and opposition don't thwart them.

However of course there is the camp that thinks BJ is a liar and would therefore never vote Tory, yet at the same time (admittedly reading between lines) this same camp would never vote Tory, so it's immaterial anyway.

I would never vote for this Labour party solely based on the leaders, and I do not trust them at all to run a country.

LibDems I would not vote for based on there Brexit stance and lack of experience.

I have voted Labour, LibDem and Tory in the past, but I vote mainly on what I believe they can do for the country in general and not me or my family, but there is an obvious connection there, I'm a firm believer in that if the country does well it trickles down and the majority do well.
The trickle down theory has proved to be a load of rubbish though. The wealthy go out of their way to avoid paying tax and hide their money in dodgy schemes. And then you've got a company like Amazon which makes billions but still pays its workers peanuts and treats its warehouse workers like they're working in some third world sweat shop.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:36 pm

jrgbfc wrote:The trickle down theory has proved to be a load of rubbish though. The wealthy go out of their way to avoid paying tax and hide their money in dodgy schemes. And then you've got a company like Amazon which makes billions but still pays its workers peanuts and treats its warehouse workers like they're working in some third world sweat shop.
You just don't get it, do you? If we reduce Amazon's taxes enough then they might pay them. Clearly they like to pay 0% so we should reduce them to that.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:46 pm

Polling expert Sir John Curtice says it is "unlikely" that the Brexit Party standing in the election would do more harm to Labour than to the Conservatives.

Speaking on BBC Radio 4's World At One, he says opinion polls suggest that most of the Brexit Party's support comes from former Tory voters.

He says: "If you look at those constituencies that the Conservatives want to pick up - the 50 most marginal Labour seats - they are disproportionately Leave seats.

"And they are places where UKIP did well in 2015.

"The odds are that these are therefore places where the Brexit Party can be expected to do particularly well."

Meanwhile, he says that attempts to convince Remain voters to vote tactically against the Conservatives reflects "the fact that the Remain vote is split".

He adds that in constituencies which voted to leave the EU, the majority of Labour voters backed Remain.

"So even there Labour's problem is the Liberal Democrats, not necessarily Nigel Farage," he says.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:05 pm

AndyClaret wrote:This fake news has already been dismissed, he's already been reselected for Uxbridge.

I think registration forms need to be in by 14th November.

Up to then you can change where your going stand, I think.

That was why Farage gave Boris till then to do a deal.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:09 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
So I'm going to sit back, do my work, drink my coffee and watch you post your usual Friday offerings.

Hope all this makes your life better Ringo!
It's funny how the day turned out.

I carried on working, having an occasional coffee, popping in and out of this message board , watching you squirming, wriggling and swerving answering a straight forward, politely asked question!

Not by a massive amount, but it has made my life a little bit better!

:lol:

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:25 pm

Spijed wrote:Polling expert Sir John Curtice says it is "unlikely" that the Brexit Party standing in the election would do more harm to Labour than to the Conservatives.

Speaking on BBC Radio 4's World At One, he says opinion polls suggest that most of the Brexit Party's support comes from former Tory voters.

He says: "If you look at those constituencies that the Conservatives want to pick up - the 50 most marginal Labour seats - they are disproportionately Leave seats.

"And they are places where UKIP did well in 2015.

"The odds are that these are therefore places where the Brexit Party can be expected to do particularly well."

Meanwhile, he says that attempts to convince Remain voters to vote tactically against the Conservatives reflects "the fact that the Remain vote is split".

He adds that in constituencies which voted to leave the EU, the majority of Labour voters backed Remain.

"So even there Labour's problem is the Liberal Democrats, not necessarily Nigel Farage," he says.
He does not sound much of an expert.

Take Burnley normal GE turn out around 40,000. Cooper got 15,000 in 2015 and 18,000 in 2017
Referendum 43,000 14,500 remain and 28,800 leave

If her supporters are mainly remain voters, she has more trouble than I thought.
This user liked this post: burnleymik

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:33 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:He does not sound much of an expert.

Take Burnley normal GE turn out around 40,000. Cooper got 15,000 in 2015 and 18,000 in 2017
Referendum 43,000 14,500 remain and 28,800 leave

If her supporters are mainly remain voters, she has more trouble than I thought.
He wasn't talking about Burnley.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:55 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:He wasn't talking about Burnley.

2015 elecon result

Julie Cooper Lab 14,951 37.6 6.3

3Gordon Birtwistle LD 11,707 29.5 -6.2

2Tom Commis UKIP 6,864 17.3 15.0

0Sarah Cockburn-Price Con 5,374 13.5 -3.1

1Mike Hargreaves * Green 850 2.1 2.1

If that’s not in the top 50 then I think the BP can do better than I thought.