General Election Is On

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Re: General Election Is On

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:40 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:Your mum got a house compulsory purchased and sold at auction in a few weeks and it was in the paper? I don’t want to call complete BS but a link to the report would be good.
Well it’s well before the internet.
Did not say it took weeks as it took months.
However, people who do amazing things get recognised in the end.

Google dame Pamela coward, that’s my mother.

She did amazing things.
Getting a house compulsory purchased ended up being one small thing on her journey.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:42 pm

The day at the palace was amazing Burnley ace.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:55 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:Having been on the streets, Labour voters seem in very short supply, but trying to be balanced, I make sure the BP rosette can be seen through a window so they don’t need to answer. No one has said Lib Dem so far, see above. We are talking to a lot of leavers unsure between BP and Tory.
Now we log everyone who is unsure as unsure. They might log that different. Anyway my current prognosis is it’s going to be bloody close.
Having been there " Lowbankclaret ", I think that there is an element that will tell you that they'll vote for you to get rid of you ...

Unfortunately, some people will say " Bloody canvessers, knocking on my door etc " whilst others will complain, " Nobody even knocked on my door, and asked what I thought ... havn't done for years ! " . The problem is that you don't know who is who !!

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:57 pm

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... am-1145468" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So here is a link Burnley Ace.

Now what’s never gunna be said.

I was doing a quality statistics in engineering qualification when she took over the school.

I did loads of stats that proved I could precinct grades from 9th grade and get results at GCSE almost correct within statistical variation.

I could also show which teachers were improving students and those who were not.

I worked with my Mum to use to stats to bring her school in to the top ten. Simplistic but not going into all the detail.

Now all schools are judged on stats I started,which got my Mums pupils to the great heights it did.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:59 pm

Clarets4me wrote:Having been there " Lowbankclaret ", I think that there is an element that will tell you that they'll vote for you to get rid of you ...

Unfortunately, some people will say " Bloody canvessers, knocking on my door etc " whilst others will complain, " Nobody even knocked on my door, and asked what I thought ... havn't done for years ! " . The problem is that you don't know who is who !!

I agree, but today I worked with a guy who like me has done it for years.

There are lots of people who’s face says more than the words.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:06 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:It depends which of the interviews you heard. He has definitely said if other broadband companies don’t want to assist, they too will be taken over. Don’t take my word for that, I’m sure many news sites recorded it.
I heard that. Definitely what he said. In a previous interview he said we will come to an agreement with them (but he sounded like Don Corleone threatening to put a horse’s head in their bed, he as good as said the words “I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse.”. A very, very sinister man).

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5003 times
Has Liked: 6721 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:14 pm

Good old Diane will sort the Home Office out with a come one come all policy as well as enabling anyone and everyone to stay here.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/general-elect ... 17880.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:26 pm

59E2E588-17F7-497D-B4E7-F94C2158A667.jpeg
59E2E588-17F7-497D-B4E7-F94C2158A667.jpeg (131.56 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
Burnley Ace,

I haven’t reached the dissy heights of being only 1 of seven women in the uk like mum. But she is a special women.

But in my own field I do win awards that are competed for worldwide.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:31 pm

bfcjg wrote:Good old Diane will sort the Home Office out with a come one come all policy as well as enabling anyone and everyone to stay here.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/general-elect ... 17880.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ive read that article and it seems one of the most sensible view on how to approach immigration Ive seen.

- Dont get fixated on targets like the ones the Torys have consistently pledged and missed

- Avoid the disgraceful Windrush scandals

- Create a system thats aim is not to stop people getting in but to create a society in Britain through immigration that reflects and reinforces our values

From your previous postings i've assumed this is meant to be a negative post towards Abbott so if ive got that wrong I apologise otherwise Id love to hear your critique of this article without resorting to childish Daily Mail like cliche's
This user liked this post: Claret-On-A-T-Rex

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5003 times
Has Liked: 6721 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:33 pm

I wish they'd deport you.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:36 pm

You make such a strong case - look after those knuckles

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:53 pm

Top Claret wrote:Tories 44% yr lot 29% so the todays opinion polls say.
Let's hope the good news continues for the sake of our country
You must be Scottish.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:02 pm

CAn I ask where Burnley Ace has gone!!!

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:18 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... am-1145468

I was doing a quality statistics in engineering qualification when she took over the school.

I did loads of stats that proved I could precinct grades from 9th grade and get results at GCSE almost correct within statistical variation.

I could also show which teachers were improving students and those who were not.

I worked with my Mum to use to stats to bring her school in to the top ten. Simplistic but not going into all the detail.

Now all schools are judged on stats I started,which got my Mums pupils to the great heights it did.
F*ckin brilliant, the death of quality education started with diminishing teachers and pupils to mere numbers and statistics and here you are trying to take credit for it.

Not only are you a bullsh*tter and a fantasist but you have so little perception and awareness of the world outside your bubble you dont even realise that the credit you are trying to claim is the opposite of anything to be proud about

If I was your careers adviser I would recommend going into the snake oil business or go door knocking for some tragic corporate entity masquerading as a sham political party

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:31 pm

I would ask you ask the many of my mum pupils who gained degrees from oxford or Cambridge.

A position many of the schools previous pupils could only have dreamed off.

Moving a school from the bottom 50 schools in the uk to the top 50 in the uk and the benefits it gave its pupils

When that’s a bad thing, I cannot comprehend this country.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:38 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Ive read that article and it seems one of the most sensible view on how to approach immigration Ive seen.

- Dont get fixated on targets like the ones the Torys have consistently pledged and missed

- Avoid the disgraceful Windrush scandals

- Create a system thats aim is not to stop people getting in but to create a society in Britain through immigration that reflects and reinforces our values

From your previous postings i've assumed this is meant to be a negative post towards Abbott so if ive got that wrong I apologise otherwise Id love to hear your critique of this article without resorting to childish Daily Mail like cliche's
If we as a country are going to have adequate staffing levels in the NHS,care homes and the hospitality industry to name just 3 things off the top of my head,we need inward migration that's just a fact.

Even the Conservatives have seemingly now abandoned targets,and as you rightly point out they were never met anyway.

Windrush should be a national shame,people who came to the UK by an invite from HMG,when we needed labour in the post-war years,worked for decades paid their taxes and consider themselves British citizens,through no fault of their own they found themselves without the correct paperwork,and the HO acted appallingly despite their blunder in shredding the documents in the first place.

We can't have completely open borders,there does have to be degree of border checks and controls,but quite clearly the current methods aren't working,if the government got to grips with illegal migration and people smuggling,then the public wouldn't be so anti immigration.
This user liked this post: dsr

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:40 pm

Hey your mum might have been a fantastic teacher and an inspiration to many children but thats got nowt to do with your bullsh*t and its a shame her inspiration didnt rub off on you instead of you ending up door knocking for Farage
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:43 pm

tiger76 wrote:If we as a country are going to have adequate staffing levels in the NHS,care homes and the hospitality industry to name just 3 things off the top of my head,we need inward migration that's just a fact.

Even the Conservatives have seemingly now abandoned targets,and as you rightly point out they were never met anyway.

Windrush should be a national shame,people who came to the UK by an invite from HMG,when we needed labour in the post-war years,worked for decades paid their taxes and consider themselves British citizens,through no fault of their own they found themselves without the correct paperwork,and the HO acted appallingly despite their blunder in shredding the documents in the first place.

We can't have completely open borders,there does have to be degree of border checks and controls,but quite clearly the current methods aren't working,if the government got to grips with illegal migration and people smuggling,then the public wouldn't be so anti immigration.
I agree. One of the problems at the Home Office was that the box tickers in the office completely misunderstood (deliberately or otherwise) the point of the targets and the point of wanting to deport illegal immigrants. They decided that if you deport a good hard working taxpayer it counts just the same as if you deport a rabble-rousing preacher of hate - 1 person deported either way - so they chose, as a matter of policy, to go for the easier targets. The ones without international or UK backing, the ones who couldn't afford lawyers, the ones who had never caused any trouble and had no background to deal with trouble when it was thrust upon them.

The Home Office should have been shut down and replaced. It was and is too far gone to fix.
This user liked this post: tiger76

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:48 pm

tiger76 wrote:If we as a country are going to have adequate staffing levels in the NHS,care homes and the hospitality industry to name just 3 things off the top of my head,we need inward migration that's just a fact.

Agreed we should have addressed immigration with the internal controls we had/have and then if this was still a problem we could have then had an informed discussion about the need/merits of potentially leaving the EU to resolve the perceived problems

I think we have very different political viewpoints but I respect how you approach it and argue in good faith and remain objective and im always interested to read your opinions
This user liked this post: tiger76

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:21 pm

I'm assuming, then, you are not of the view that widespread automation is imminent (say, within 15 years)?

I'm not sure (and I really mean 'I'm not sure'). But if it did happen, even to a relatively minor degree, labour shortages probably aren't going to be a problem come 2035.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:22 pm

dsr wrote:I agree. One of the problems at the Home Office was that the box tickers in the office completely misunderstood (deliberately or otherwise) the point of the targets and the point of wanting to deport illegal immigrants. They decided that if you deport a good hard working taxpayer it counts just the same as if you deport a rabble-rousing preacher of hate - 1 person deported either way - so they chose, as a matter of policy, to go for the easier targets. The ones without international or UK backing, the ones who couldn't afford lawyers, the ones who had never caused any trouble and had no background to deal with trouble when it was thrust upon them.

The Home Office should have been shut down and replaced. It was and is too far gone to fix.
But instead the person presiding over this shambles was promoted to Prime Minister.

dsr

Post by dsr » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:32 pm

martin_p wrote:But instead the person presiding over this shambles was promoted to Prime Minister.
Yes. I hoped she would make a better PM than she was a Home Secretary, but she didn't.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:33 pm

dsr wrote:Yes. I hoped she would make a better PM than she was a Home Secretary, but she didn't.
And now you’re hoping Johnson will make a better PM than Foreign Secretary. Don’t make the same mistake twice!

dsr

Post by dsr » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:36 pm

martin_p wrote:And now you’re hoping Johnson will make a better PM than Foreign Secretary. Don’t make the same mistake twice!
It's never a mistake to hope things go well.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:40 pm

dsr wrote:It's never a mistake to hope things go well.
There’s a famous quote about repeating your actions and expecting different results.

dsr

Post by dsr » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:42 pm

martin_p wrote:There’s a famous quote about repeating your actions and expecting different results.
There is indeed. But appointing Johnson via members' vote isn't repeating the action of appointing May by acclamation. So no relevance there.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:42 pm

If it be your will wrote:I'm assuming, then, you are not of the view that widespread automation is imminent (say, within 15 years)?

I'm not sure (and I really mean 'I'm not sure'). But if it did happen, even to a relatively minor degree, labour shortages probably aren't going to be a problem come 2035.
Automaton certainly will change the working landscape in some jobs,but machines can't replace humans in nursing and social care,and these are 2 of the sectors that have labour shortages,and are also reliant on EU nationals,if the government really want to reduce net migration then fine,but in that case they'll have to incentivise youngsters that are undergoing training,and ensure that salaries and conditions are attractive,one of the main reasons NHS staff aren't being retained is they don't feel valued,and they are overworked.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:46 pm

dsr wrote:There is indeed. But appointing Johnson via members' vote isn't repeating the action of appointing May by acclamation. So no relevance there.
And of course Johnson’s name begins with a ‘J’ not an ‘M’ so there’s another difference equally as relevant.
This user liked this post: Lord Beamish

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:50 pm

tiger76 wrote:Automaton certainly will change the working landscape in some jobs,but machines can't replace humans in nursing and social care,and these are 2 of the sectors that have labour shortages,and are also reliant on EU nationals,if the government really want to reduce net migration then fine,but in that case they'll have to incentivise youngsters that are undergoing training,and ensure that salaries and conditions are attractive,one of the main reasons NHS staff aren't being retained is they don't feel valued,and they are overworked.
I wasn't thinking those particular sectors would be automated (if, indeed, anything is significantly automated). More that if automation happens, the workforce will shift towards those areas that are relatively immune to automation. It would seem odd to have immigration to fill care sector roles whilst the available labour pool simultaneously expands as a result of automation in other sectors.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:16 am

Lowbank, while I can't defend Julie Cooper for letting down the leave voters in Burnley, I can say with certainty that she goes on games at the Turf.

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:27 am

Lowbankclaret wrote:
59E2E588-17F7-497D-B4E7-F94C2158A667.jpeg
Burnley Ace,

I haven’t reached the dissy heights of being only 1 of seven women in the uk like mum. But she is a special women.

But in my own field I do win awards that are competed for worldwide.
You will always be a Coward.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:12 am

dsr wrote:I agree. One of the problems at the Home Office was that the box tickers in the office completely misunderstood (deliberately or otherwise) the point of the targets and the point of wanting to deport illegal immigrants. They decided that if you deport a good hard working taxpayer it counts just the same as if you deport a rabble-rousing preacher of hate - 1 person deported either way - so they chose, as a matter of policy, to go for the easier targets. The ones without international or UK backing, the ones who couldn't afford lawyers, the ones who had never caused any trouble and had no background to deal with trouble when it was thrust upon them.

I believe the work that involved searching for people to deport to hit those targets was outsourced to Capita (or one of the others like it).

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:34 am

Last night saw quite a few new polls released, BMG doesn't take into account the Brexit party not standing in Tory seats.
Attachments
EJh5GZyXUAA9I0v.jpg
EJh5GZyXUAA9I0v.jpg (31.93 KiB) Viewed 968 times

Bfcboyo

Post by Bfcboyo » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:11 am

People should avoid voting for our local Sleaze Gord B.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.burnle ... 415931/amp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will now start my campaign against what I believe to be an absolute leach of an MP.

More to follow. With a few surprises.

Bfcboyo

Post by Bfcboyo » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:25 am

Here is one for our resident liberals. Surely the guy cannot win many votes for the party he represents.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/24793 ... policy=826" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:41 am

Lowbankclaret wrote:https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... am-1145468

It’s not her ability as a teacher, more the way in which it took her a few weeks to get a CPO on a property - finding the owner, entering discussions, making the decision (which has a 21 day appeal before a Notice is even sent out), the purchase complete and then the relisting and sale at auction. That is more miraculous than turning a school around.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:46 am

Sounds like more damning revelations heading Boris's way tonight. That American woman Jennifer Arcuri is giving an "exclusive" interview for ITV. Pretty sure it won't do him any favours!

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:09 am

jrgbfc wrote:Sounds like more damning revelations heading Boris's way tonight. That American woman Jennifer Arcuri is giving an "exclusive" interview for ITV. Pretty sure it won't do him any favours!
With regards personal “sexual conduct” it’s strange how it affects some politicians and not other, It seemed to not affect Trump with his base and it helped Berlusconi. I think with Johnson it be the same in that the people who like him won’t be bothered and that those that hate him will be appalled.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:22 pm

Dy1geo wrote:With regards personal “sexual conduct” it’s strange how it affects some politicians and not other, It seemed to not affect Trump with his base and it helped Berlusconi. I think with Johnson it be the same in that the people who like him won’t be bothered and that those that hate him will be appalled.
You could say that about anything regarding Boris; racism, lying, anything: those that like him aren't bothered, those that hate him are appalled.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:32 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:You could say that about anything regarding Boris; racism, lying, anything: those that like him aren't bothered, those that hate him are appalled.
I'm more appalled by the people who vote for him.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:33 pm

Claret-On-A-T-Rex wrote:I'm more appalled by the people who vote for him.
Who will you be voting for?

AndyClaret

Post by AndyClaret » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:35 pm

Corbyn supported Black people "going back home"
Attachments
EJkTxmSWsAYBzaR.jpg
EJkTxmSWsAYBzaR.jpg (857.49 KiB) Viewed 789 times

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:52 pm

Dy1geo wrote:With regards personal “sexual conduct” it’s strange how it affects some politicians and not other, It seemed to not affect Trump with his base and it helped Berlusconi. I think with Johnson it be the same in that the people who like him won’t be bothered and that those that hate him will be appalled.
I think it comes down to the surrounding spin. All the right wing papers have fallen in behind him from the beginning, and I credit them with sidelining Farage so efficiently. They’ve led the attack against Corbyn for over four years now, and this has largely kept Labour policy from reaching peoples’ ears and focused instead on personal attacks on him. Look at how the Leave side of the Brexit debate has been framed from just leaving, to a narrow hard leave (anything else “isn’t what we voted for” we’re told). What most perplexes me is that they appear to have succeeded in painting a party responsible for the biggest fall in living standards since the Napoleonic Wars as the party best able to fix these problems (in any other area of life you’d fire the person). The number of times I’ve seen “20k extra police!” - and thought, if only they hadn’t been axed in the first place? Most of what I see on social media by Tory supporting friends has been a disengagement with issues (whether Tory or other party policy). Just lots of jokes about other parties’ leaders.

This is what I think is the reason for it, but there’s lots of time yet for things to change.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:01 pm

AndyClaret wrote:Corbyn supported Black people "going back home"
This is copied from Natalie Rowe’s Twitter account: “LET ME REMIND EVERYONE. I was at a Party in the early 90’s where #BorisJohnson came up to me making Monkey noises and tried to hand me a Water Melon. If you think that’s he’s fit to be PM then you’re as much of a racist PIG as he is” - did you ever think we’d one day have a PM as awful as we do?

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:23 pm

Given the state of the leadership, we are safer in the EU, where 27 have a go.

AndyClaret

Post by AndyClaret » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:32 pm

AndrewJB wrote:This is copied from Natalie Rowe’s Twitter account: “LET ME REMIND EVERYONE. I was at a Party in the early 90’s where #BorisJohnson came up to me making Monkey noises and tried to hand me a Water Melon. If you think that’s he’s fit to be PM then you’re as much of a racist PIG as he is” - did you ever think we’d one day have a PM as awful as we do?
Here come the Corbyn apologists with their whataboutary.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:32 pm

Don't we all

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:41 pm

There's a significant difference between "going back home" and "sending back home". I can't say I agree with either idea but if you're trying to convince people that Bernie Grant was racist that's probably going to be a difficult sell.

RMutt
Been Liked: 373 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by RMutt » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:57 pm

AndyClaret wrote:Here come the Corbyn apologists with their whataboutary.

It’s not about whataboutery, it’s about balance. Something we’ll never get from the Tory press so we might as well try to get some on here.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:58 pm

Top Claret wrote:Don't we all
They really scare you don’t they.