General Election Is On

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
dsr
Been Liked: 4577 times
Has Liked: 2268 times

Re: General Election Is On

Post by dsr » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:42 pm

dermotdermot wrote:Well that was all rather underwhelming. The host was terrible and quite clearly tried to cut Boris Johnson short on just about every topic he tried to reply to. Even on his final sum up. She just wouldn’t let him finish. Corbyn did his best to impersonate Fred Kite and that was just about it.
They had agreed time limits which Boris pushed to the edge and beyond. I though the host did quite well, actually. Boris gets points for enthusiasm, and for use of the word "lacuna".

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:47 pm

Favourite Johnson clip of the day

https://twitter.com/i/status/1196808298810531842

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:07 am

the ITV usual audience is a mixture of ant and dec or corrie idiots, therefore it had to be portrayed the way it was, the host was fine, just doing her job.
corbyn came across as sincere and whilst not a great speaker, made his points count.
johnson was deliberately talking too long , as if to suggest he had much more to add, whereas he ******* didn't.
Ultimately, the audience will conclude "EEEHH, THEY'RE ALL THE SAME" then n ot even bother voting.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:24 am

It's amazing how many people fall for labours pie in the sky pledges.
So we are going to attract people to work in the NHS now by making them work one day per week more than everyone else?
Free broadband for everyone. We will pay for it by making everyone pay an extra £20 per week tax, but will save everyone £21 per month off their sky bill

They say working class Tories are stupid, but you would have to be really poor and have about 5 years left to live to benefit from a government led by the current opposition

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:42 am

Damo wrote:It's amazing how many people fall for labours pie in the sky pledges.
So we are going to attract people to work in the NHS now by making them work one day per week more than everyone else?
Free broadband for everyone. We will pay for it by making everyone pay an extra £20 per week tax, but will save everyone £21 per month off their sky bill

They say working class Tories are stupid, but you would have to be really poor and have about 5 years left to live to benefit from a government led by the current opposition
That's quite an impressive river of unsubstantiated tabloid rhetoric. Those $hitrags have even managed to convince you that you're smarter than everyone, too! Risky gamble, that, but I admire your confidence.

Here's an interesting titbit; when I type my postcode into the Openreach fibre checker, I get the following message about FTTP broadband: "We don’t have plans to upgrade your area yet. Tell us you’re interested and we’ll update you when things change."

Hmm. Disappointing. No plans? Dark ages for me, it is, then. But nobody cares about me and I'm not asking anyone too, either, so lets look at something we can all relate to: Turf Moor, because why the hell not.

BB104BX...'I am not a robot' captcha...select Harry Potts Way etc etc etc *patiently awaits page loading* (ironic)

On FTTP: "We don’t have plans to upgrade your area yet. Tell us you’re interested and we’ll update you when things change." Harry Potts Way looking set to be stuck in the dark ages, too. Try your own postcode, see what you get. (Or, more likely, don't get.)

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sure, FTTC might be available in more areas, and sure, the market might one day provide extensive coverage of FTTP, but without the state picking up the slack where the market deems full FTTP unprofitable, geographical swathes of the country are, and will continue to be, left behind, unlucky victims of a two-tier market (heavily subsidised by the way, and in some cases by the EU's regional development fund if I'm not mistaken), while full fibre remains bottlenecked into more localised, more profitable areas, only rolling out tediously and pathetically slow, and in more rural areas only ever with tax payer funded subsidy.

Think of FTTP as a network of roads and the idea of massive infrastructure investment makes perfect sense. The more roads there are leading from one place to another, the less stress that is put on any particular geographic area with access to the commodity in question. That commodity (high speed internet) is spread more evenly around a wider area, and in theoretical macroeconomic terms this rebalances an economy, with economic participation dependent on full fibre becoming less concentrated. For instance, FTTP access in smaller towns means smaller technology firms would be able to establish offices outside of cities, thus paying lower rent, thus allowing them to start up with smaller loans and, because of this, it's quite possible, with increased chance of the loans being granted in the first instance. Investment, enterprise, jobs, freedom, all that Tory wordsalad the Tories pretend to care about when it suits them. If nothing else it means schools and hospitals, police stations and local govt buildings out in the sticks can get decent broadband. And if 1Gbps+ FTTP seems too futuristic, needless or luxury, just imagine trying to run a business in 2019 on dial-up. The mind cannot conceive of what our economy will look like 30 years from now, but we can say for a fact that copper coax broadband, and possibly even hybrid, will not be fit for purpose some time before we get there. If the market's logic prohibits the market from dragging the country into the next decade and decades, we the tax payers must for our own good. National infrastructure strategy on full fibre has been pathetically inadequate for a post-industrial country as wealthy and developed as ours.
These 5 users liked this post: Taffy on the wing AndrewJB longsidepies martin_p Lancasterclaret

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3190 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:56 am

Damo wrote:It's amazing how many people fall for labours pie in the sky pledges.

Get out of bed on the wrong side did you?.....Working class Tories are by definition STUPID!
Which kind of Tory are you?.......The rich one laughing at the poor one, or the poor one laughing at himself & saying "at least those immigrants won't get anything........Scrounging bastards etc.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3190 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:00 am

Spiral wrote:That's quite an impressive river of unsubstantiated tabloid rhetoric. Those $hitrags have even managed to convince you that you're smarter than everyone, too! Risky gamble, that, but I admire your confidence.

Here's an interesting titbit; when I type my postcode into the Openreach fibre checker, I get the following message about FTTP broadband: "We don’t have plans to upgrade your area yet. Tell us you’re interested and we’ll update you when things change."

Hmm. Disappointing. No plans? Dark ages for me, it is, then. But nobody cares about me and I'm not asking anyone too, either, so lets look at something we can all relate to: Turf Moor, because why the hell not.

BB104BX...'I am not a robot' captcha...select Harry Potts Way etc etc etc *patiently awaits page loading* (ironic)

On FTTP: "We don’t have plans to upgrade your area yet. Tell us you’re interested and we’ll update you when things change." Harry Potts Way looking set to be stuck in the dark ages, too. Try your own postcode, see what you get. (Or, more likely, don't get.)

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sure, FTTC might be available in more areas, and sure, the market might one day provide extensive coverage of FTTP, but without the state picking up the slack where the market deems full FTTP unprofitable, geographical swathes of the country are, and will continue to be, left behind, unlucky victims of a two-tier market (heavily subsidised by the way, and in some cases by the EU's regional development fund if I'm not mistaken), while full fibre remains bottlenecked into more localised, more profitable areas, only rolling out tediously and pathetically slow, and in more rural areas only ever with tax payer funded subsidy.

Think of FTTP as a network of roads and the idea of massive infrastructure investment makes perfect sense. The more roads there are leading from one place to another, the less stress that is put on any particular geographic area with access to the commodity in question. That commodity (high speed internet) is spread more evenly around a wider area, and in theoretical macroeconomic terms this rebalances an economy, with economic participation dependent on full fibre becoming less concentrated. For instance, FTTP access in smaller towns means smaller technology firms would be able to establish offices outside of cities, thus paying lower rent, thus allowing them to start up with smaller loans and, because of this, it's quite possible, with increased chance of the loans being granted in the first instance. Investment, enterprise, jobs, freedom, all that Tory wordsalad the Tories pretend to care about when it suits them. If nothing else it means schools and hospitals, police stations and local govt buildings out in the sticks can get decent broadband. And if 1Gbps+ FTTP seems too futuristic, needless or luxury, just imagine trying to run a business in 2019 on dial-up. The mind cannot conceive of what our economy will look like 30 years from now, but we can say for a fact that copper coax broadband, and possibly even hybrid, will not be fit for purpose some time before we get there. If the market's logic prohibits the market from dragging the country into the next decade and decades, we the tax payers must for our own good. National infrastructure strategy on full fibre has been pathetically inadequate for a post-industrial country as wealthy and developed as ours.
This!..........

Damo

Post by Damo » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:03 am

Spiral wrote:That's quite an impressive river of unsubstantiated tabloid rhetoric. Those $hitrags have even managed to convince you that you're smarter than everyone, too! Risky gamble, that, but I admire your confidence.

I just checked BB10 4BX and virgin media are offering 39 mbps. Hardly the dark ages is it?
Obviously that's not 1gbps, but if you hang on another 10 years (the timeframe Labour have promised this to be implimented in) I'm sure it will be available. Probably wirelessly. Probably cheaper than the state sponsored stuff we are being promised.
I'd imagine the people of BB10 4BX have little need for 1gbps as it stands currently anyway. Certainly not if the extra cost is going to mean cutting back on the sort of things the average person prioritizes, day to day.
You personally could probably move house if online gaming, or whatever you need 1gbps for is so important

Damo

Post by Damo » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:04 am

Taffy on the wing wrote:Get out of bed on the wrong side did you?.....Working class Tories are by definition STUPID!
Which kind of Tory are you?.......The rich one laughing at the poor one, or the poor one laughing at himself & saying "at least those immigrants won't get anything........Scrounging bastards etc.
Judging by that retort, it's fairly clear which kind of labour voter you are

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10245 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:25 am

One that's got you well and truly sussed ?

Damo

Post by Damo » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:42 am

evensteadiereddie wrote:One that's got you well and truly sussed ?
Angry, judgemental... a man after your own heart eddy
This user liked this post: jrtod61

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:34 am

Damo wrote:I just checked BB10 4BX and virgin media are offering 39 mbps. Hardly the dark ages is it?
Obviously that's not 1gbps, but if you hang on another 10 years (the timeframe Labour have promised this to be implimented in) I'm sure it will be available. Probably wirelessly. Probably cheaper than the state sponsored stuff we are being promised.
I'd imagine the people of BB10 4BX have little need for 1gbps as it stands currently anyway. Certainly not if the extra cost is going to mean cutting back on the sort of things the average person prioritizes, day to day.
You personally could probably move house if online gaming, or whatever you need 1gbps for is so important
You’ve just said Labour’s timescale is realistic and they’ve budgeted too much, so then it can’t be pie in the sky, can it?

When it comes to pie in the sky - Johnson didn’t answer any questions on personal integrity. It was put to him several times how often he’d lied, but he just ignored it. Not even a “sorry, but I got carried away”.

We’ve already seen dead in a ditch come and go, so which of what he said last night will be exposed next?

HarryPottsDesk
Been Liked: 28 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by HarryPottsDesk » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:35 am

It's such a competitive field that it's never easy to pick the stupidest right-winger on this forum, but Damo is definitely one of the front-runners.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:36 am

You’re right, when you make ******** up it doesn’t sound as impressive. In fact if you say Labour will make everyone pay an extra £30 a week tax then it becomes a really poor deal.

Damo

Post by Damo » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:46 am

HarryPottsDesk wrote:It's such a competitive field that it's never easy to pick the stupidest right-winger on this forum, but Damo is definitely one of the front-runners.
Just had a look at your posting history.
Not a fan of right wingers are you?
You are not the bloke a few rows down from me who constantly abused JBG are you?

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:49 am

Both sides are so full of ****.

Its actually quite impressive that Farage and his mob have messed this up so completely that they are only polling at 2%.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:51 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Both sides are so full of ****.

Its actually quite impressive that Farage and his mob have messed this up so completely that they are only polling at 2%.
Given that Lowbank still thinks his party has a good chance in Burnley most of the 2% must be from that one constituency!

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:55 am

This is it. And how the government can create a climate in which business prospers.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2634 times
Has Liked: 6452 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:26 am

Just wow... will this Tory government sink any lower...?

Surely this is against Electoral Law - it is misleading at best and fraud in my opinion...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50482637" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:38 am

So the Tory campaign so far:

- Putting out a fake Kier Starmer video
- under investigation for possibly offering bribes to Brexit Party candidates to stand down
- impersonating a fact checking organisation during a tv debate

And that’s not even mentioning Johnson’s regular lies

aggi
Been Liked: 2119 times

Post by aggi » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:41 am

Rick_Muller wrote:Just wow... will this Tory government sink any lower...?

Surely this is against Electoral Law - it is misleading at best and fraud in my opinion...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50482637" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm sure they will because they are unrepentant about things like this and the doctored Starmer video. Let's be honest, if you have a boss who lies and makes things up you're going to take direction from that.

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:45 am

martin_p wrote:So the Tory campaign so far:

- under investigation for possibly offering bribes to Brexit Party candidates to stand down

aggi wrote:I'm sure they will because they are unrepentant about things like this and the doctored Starmer video. Let's be honest, if you have a boss who lies and makes things up you're going to take direction from that.
and yet people will still vote for this charlatan en-masse because he keeps repeating "lets get Brexit done" in the same way his predecessor kept repeating "brexit means Brexit". the mind boggles.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:50 am

Certainly highlights the problems with modern labour that taking all that into account they will still get dicked by the tories.

Eventually the party will stop blaming everyone and everything else and start looking closer to home

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:04 am

Raab on BBC breakfast ‘Voters don’t give a toss about social media.’

Propaganda the Tories are using wouldn’t look out of place in Stalin’s Russia.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:04 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Certainly highlights the problems with modern labour that taking all that into account they will still get dicked by the tories.

Eventually the party will stop blaming everyone and everything else and start looking closer to home
Classic deflection.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:08 am

jrgbfc wrote:If you think repeating "get Brexit done" over and over again like a broken record is winning a debate then you're obviously easily pleased.
Bit of a damp squib last night,i lost interest halfway through,i do agree Johnson trying to make every subject about brexit was growing tedious.

I'd give the edge to Corbyn,but only by a cigarette paper,Johnson avoided any major gaffes which given his lead in the polls he'll be satisfied with.

I can't see many floating voters being enthused watching that hour of debate,on reflection the minor parties might feel they've dodged a bullet by not being on the stage with Ant & Dec's warm-up act.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:09 am

martin_p wrote:Classic deflection.

Your response is the perfect reply as for why we are where we are today. I take it you don't agree then and think things are fine with the labour party

Cryssys
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Cryssys » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:11 am

I cannot understand why anyone who identifies with the working person could ever vote Tory. The Tories exist to promote and protect the interests of the wealthy and the privileged. Always have done, always will do

Look at who makes up the their membership: 71% male, average age 57 and 33% live in London/south east

Where do the majority of their donations come from? Well President Putin’s ex wife has donated £875K in the last five years including £200K in June, JCB chief Lord Bamford gave £666K in and lets not forget the Russian “businessmen” who between them have donated £3.5M. The biggest donor to the Conservatives was its Israeli born co-treasurer Ehud Sheleg, a Mayfair art gallery director who gave more than £1 million in the period between April 1 and June 30.

Do you think that these donors have the interests of working person at heart? Do you think that Johnson, Gove and Rees Mogg have the interests of the working person at heart?

Anyone who claims to identify with the working person and then votes Tory needs to take a long hard look at themselves.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:11 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Your response is the perfect reply as for why we are where we are today. I take it you don't agree then and think things are fine with the labour party
More deflection! My post was about the Tory Party’s campaign not the Labour Party.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:12 am

martin_p wrote:More deflection! My post was about the Tory Party’s campaign not the Labour Party.

As I said, your response says everything

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:14 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:As I said, your response says everything
So you won’t engage on the points I was making then? Do you think the Tory tactics are acceptable?

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:15 am

Cryssys wrote:I cannot understand why anyone who identifies with the working person could ever vote Tory. The Tories exist to promote and protect the interests of the wealthy and the privileged. Always have done, always will do

Look at who makes up the their membership: 71% male, average age 57 and 33% live in London/south east

Where do the majority of their donations come from? Well President Putin’s ex wife has donated £875K in the last five years including £200K in June, JCB chief Lord Bamford gave £666K in and lets not forget the Russian “businessmen” who between them have donated £3.5M. The biggest donor to the Conservatives was its Israeli born co-treasurer Ehud Sheleg, a Mayfair art gallery director who gave more than £1 million in the period between April 1 and June 30.

Do you think that these donors have the interests of working person at heart? Do you think that Johnson, Gove and Rees Mogg have the interests of the working person at heart?

Anyone who claims to identify with the working person and then votes Tory needs to take a long hard look at themselves.
What makes me think, and I mean really think, is the magnitude of those donations and how much of their wealth they are protecting by making those donations. For someone to donate £1M they must be protecting a much larger amount don't you think...?

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:21 am

The UK is largely seen as a safe haven for Russian money so those donations don't surprise me at all.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:25 am

martin_p wrote:So you won’t engage on the points I was making then? Do you think the Tory tactics are acceptable?

No I don't and the point I have made in the past remains true. If labour were really bothered they would have made a leadership change to someone who would win rather than leaving the clown in charge to lose.

It doesn't matter now what Johnson says or does he will win as it has been handed to him hence the best odds of 1/14.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:36 am

SammyBoy wrote:The UK is largely seen as a safe haven for Russian money so those donations don't surprise me at all.
Sadly this is true.

Bear in mind that the Russians have actually murdered a UK citizen on UK soil and the government did not do enough to punish those responsible.

Enabling a version of the Magnitsky act (spelling) would have hit Russia where it hurts, but would have affected Tory donations.

I'm no fan of either party, but the Conservatives are going full on fake news with Trumpian disregard for facts.

Thats not a good way to go

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:37 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:No I don't and the point I have made in the past remains true. If labour were really bothered they would have made a leadership change to someone who would win rather than leaving the clown in charge to lose.

It doesn't matter now what Johnson says or does he will win as it has been handed to him hence the best odds of 1/14.
It's almost signed sealed & delivered, the other parties have missed a trick really by not wholeheartedly supporting the referendum result, had everybody jumped on the same bandwagon it'd be more closely fought contest, alienating the wishes of the core support doesn't bode well trying to win an election.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:38 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Sadly this is true.

Bear in mind that the Russians have actually murdered a UK citizen on UK soil and the government did not do enough to punish those responsible.

Enabling a version of the Magnitsky act (spelling) would have hit Russia where it hurts, but would have affected Tory donations.

I'm no fan of either party, but the Conservatives are going full on fake news with Trumpian disregard for facts.

Thats not a good way to go
At least Trump never allowed his team to pretend to be something they weren’t on Twitter. This is beyond Trump.

android
Been Liked: 121 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by android » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:49 am

Cryssys wrote:I cannot understand why anyone who identifies with the working person could ever vote Tory. The Tories exist to promote and protect the interests of the wealthy and the privileged. Always have done, always will do

One reason could be the progressive tax changes in recent years. I haven't seen the recently released figures mentioned on here but the income tax paid by the top 1% of taxpayers is now up to 30% of the total compared to 24% in 2008 on the eve of the crisis. Main factors being:
1) Increase in average top rate of income tax from 40% in Labour years to 45% under the Tories
2) Large numbers of lowest earners taken out of income tax altogether with big increase in personal allowance
3) Cuts to pension contribution tax relief for highest earners

Obviously there are plenty of other reasons including national security issues. But fundamentally people obviously need work and a lot of working people probably share my opinion that a Corbyn government would bring high inflation to be followed by high unemployment. High inflation hits the poorest the hardest.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:51 am

Isn't the 2nd one a Lib Dem policy?

Caballo
Been Liked: 421 times
Has Liked: 433 times

Post by Caballo » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:31 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Isn't the 2nd one a Lib Dem policy?

They'd rightly claim responsibility for the rapid growth of personal allowance 2010-15, but the continued growth since, they'd struggle to lay claim too.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:34 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Isn't the 2nd one a Lib Dem policy?
Yes both Lib Dem and Tory. And it's a good one that the tories have delivered on and seem committed to along with increasing the national living wage.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2010 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:39 am

I thought Boris Johnson’s constantly turning the questions was a bit lame TBH. There seems a view that it was about even in the debate in the media last night. Personally I disagree, I thought Jeremy Corbin, handled the event very well. Certainly came across better for me. Obviously the problem remains for all.... it is all very well borrowing money at today’s low rates, but who is supposed to find the money to pay all this debt if and when lending goes back to 30% interest as it has been several times in my lifetime?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:39 am

taio wrote:Yes both Lib Dem and Tory. And it's a good one that the tories have delivered on and seem committed to along with increasing the national living wage.
Its certainly a good one.

Sometimes its important to remember where good ideas come from though.

It doesn't matter to me which party brings in good policies, as long as they are good policies.

Its the ideological driven ones ahead of ones that work that really grind my gears.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:52 am

android wrote:One reason could be the progressive tax changes in recent years. I haven't seen the recently released figures mentioned on here but the income tax paid by the top 1% of taxpayers is now up to 30% of the total compared to 24% in 2008 on the eve of the crisis. Main factors being:
1) Increase in average top rate of income tax from 40% in Labour years to 45% under the Tories
2) Large numbers of lowest earners taken out of income tax altogether with big increase in personal allowance
3) Cuts to pension contribution tax relief for highest earners

Obviously there are plenty of other reasons including national security issues. But fundamentally people obviously need work and a lot of working people probably share my opinion that a Corbyn government would bring high inflation to be followed by high unemployment. High inflation hits the poorest the hardest.
And the poor haven’t been hit the hardest after 9 years of austerity? What about cuts to social care, education, increase in food banks, increase in homelessness etc.

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:18 pm

Amjad Bashir suspended for anti semitism, Tory candidate.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:23 pm

Suella Braverman is doing well digging a hole for herself here.

She didn't understand the bit about Twitter, she's admitted that the 20,000 more police officers is only correcting their mess up in the first place, and says 34 of the 40 hospitals (after a fact check!) won't be here for 10+ years. Basically, what we knew, but it's nice to see them try and wriggle out of something which is fact.

Cryssys
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Cryssys » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:27 pm

Post deleted due to incorrect figures.

Having a bad hair day
Last edited by Cryssys on Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:47 pm

46% of the UK population don’t pay any income tax, so it would need to be those paying £40 so everyone can have it for free.
Unless we all pay a £20 broadband tax to receive free broadband.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:51 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:46% of the UK population don’t pay any income tax, so it would need to be those paying £40 so everyone can have it for free.
Unless we all pay a £20 broadband tax to receive free broadband.
Yes, but 2 x a made up figure = another made up figure

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:51 pm

martin_p wrote:Given that Lowbank still thinks his party has a good chance in Burnley most of the 2% must be from that one constituency!

It is interesting that the polls are so low. At a guess it’s an establishment attempt to drive Brexit party votes to the Tories and it’s probably working.
However it’s not the percentage we are seeing knocking on doors.
At a guess currently it’s going to be. Tory win.