General Election Is On

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2633 times
Has Liked: 6445 times

Re: General Election Is On

Post by Rick_Muller » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:58 pm

Boris crashed and burned there IMO

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:03 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
1.PNG
1.PNG (13.21 KiB) Viewed 1954 times
4.PNG
4.PNG (12.37 KiB) Viewed 1954 times
2.PNG
2.PNG (14.66 KiB) Viewed 1954 times

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:05 pm

Aww! Diddums, Andy.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:07 pm

Didn’t see it, but from the reaction on here maybe the Tories in the audience were too embarrassed to speak!
This user liked this post: Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:10 pm

[quote="AndyClaret"][/quote]
Dry your eyes mate
These 3 users liked this post: Lord Beamish martin_p Greenmile

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:13 pm

Bloody Tory snowflakes whingeing about the make up of the studio audience.
This user liked this post: Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:18 pm

Greenmile wrote:Enjoy your lunch. Hope your afternoon is better than the car-crash of a morning you’ve had on here.
Hi Greenmile, I mis-read your post from earlier today. Wow, based on comments re "4 Leaders QT" where a few of them have been credited with "car crashes" I feel honoured that you've awarded me the same accolade. Thank you. My pleasure! ;)

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:19 pm

No matter the question time.

The Labour vote has car crashed in Burnley.

There seems to be a reluctance to come to terms with this fact.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1881 times
Has Liked: 839 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:21 pm

AndyClaret wrote:How many dollies dig Corbyn get ?
Has Corbyn cut these services?

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:28 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:No matter the question time.

The Labour vote has car crashed in Burnley.

There seems to be a reluctance to come to terms with this fact.
Lowbank:

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/co ... es/burnley" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:33 pm

Spijed wrote:Lowbank:

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/co ... es/burnley" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shame the same site has a torie majority as overwhelming favourite. Scary times.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:35 pm

4 Leaders QT - great tv. Well done, Fiona, hosting a 2 hour tv session. That has got to be some hard work.

My views: Jofra Archer and Jimmy Anderson (when fit) would have been proud of the opening bowling. I congratulate the BBC on opening aggressively with all 4.
1) JC - he wasn't expecting those bouncers. JC is used to speaking at campaigns, where everyone is on his side. "Oh, Jerememey Corrrebyyyynnn." I was surprised that JC was asked about Bolivia. I felt JC would have preferred he wasn't. We now know he will be "neutral" if he get's the chance for a (Brexit) second referendum. And the "early years" is possibly/probably first 2 years of JC gov't before IndyRef2.
2) Nicola Sturgeon - obviously experienced, but we don't vote SNP unless we live in Scotland, so Nicola is just a "visiting dignitary." No chance of winning, so nothing to lose. Nicola knows this, so less pressure.
3) Jo Swinson - tough, really tough. "Why did you claim you could be next PM?" And Jo knows that she can't be - so, nothing more than "I'm liberal."
4) Boris Johnson - he's got his 8 years as London mayor to be his claim to leadership and delivery. Of course, many want to argue against this. The guy with the Russian dossier should have dropped it after his second attempt - nothing to be gained from continuing his heckle - and Boris was happy to let him continue to heckle.

I'll let others draw their own conclusion.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 2894 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:38 pm

Greenmile wrote:You don’t think someone earning £50-80k is well off?
That’s a different threshold than someone earning £45k. £80k in London is not well off, it’s nice but it’s not enough that you aren’t careful
This user liked this post: Anonymous

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4254 times

Post by Greenmile » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:14 pm

Paul Waine wrote:Hi Greenmile, I mis-read your post from earlier today. Wow, based on comments re "4 Leaders QT" where a few of them have been credited with "car crashes" I feel honoured that you've awarded me the same accolade. Thank you. My pleasure! ;)
You’re welcome.

I see you’re so proud that you carried on with the same approach this evening.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

dsr
Been Liked: 4571 times
Has Liked: 2263 times

Post by dsr » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:24 pm

tiger76 wrote:I liked Boris's answer to this :?:

Johnson on Waspi women
The questioner on trust was actually coming from the perspective of one of the Waspi women - a group deeply upset about pension age changes.

They want those changes reversed and compensation offered.

"I do sympathise deeply with the Waspi women... but it is very expensive to come up with the solution you want," Boris Johnson replies.

"I cannot promise I can magic up that money for you - it is not possible to satisfy all the demands of the Waspi women."
It's a lot more tolerant than my answer would have been. I know exactly why they want men to retire at an older age than women even though women live longer than men. But a politician wouldn't dare give that answer!

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:57 pm

Great format btw

But all four came across really badly

Which is good to see, but doesn't help shift the idea that we've got some pretty poor politicians in charge at the moment
This user liked this post: Dy1geo

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:58 pm

Paul Waine wrote:Let me amend it for you, Lancs. ;)
Or here is a novel idea.

Just admit you said something daft

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1641 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:05 pm

The most fascinating part of QT for me was Swinson getting near silence to most answers and groans to others. She was totally destroyed. This was 1 mile away from the massive Lib Dem stronghold of Sheffield Hallam, Clegg’s former seat, briefly occupied by the odious Jared O Mara.

Hallam is 65% Remain, but I am starting to wonder if Johnson can take it. If he does, he will win a landslide. One thing’s for sure, he is certain of one vote in Hallam, mine.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:08 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:The most fascinating part of QT for me was Swinson getting near silence to most answers and groans to others. She was totally destroyed. This was 1 mile away from the massive Lib Dem stronghold of Sheffield Hallam, Clegg’s former seat, briefly occupied by the odious Jared O Mara.

Hallam is 65% Remain, but I am starting to wonder if Johnson can take it. If he does, he will win a landslide. One thing’s for sure, he is certain of one vote in Hallam, mine.
Swinson answered the questions

Pretty novel I thought.

Might catch on.

Mala591
Been Liked: 684 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Post by Mala591 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:13 pm

We are now in a unique situation ( democratic populism? ) where the average British voter is more 'politically intelligent' than the politicians and their political advisors.

It's the Westminster bubble on steroids.

Most surreal.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:14 pm

Mala591 wrote:We are now in a unique situation ( democratic populism? ) where the average British voter is more 'politically intelligent' than the politicians and their political advisors.

It's the Westminster bubble on steroids.

Most surreal.
No way you've got that from the level of debate on here!

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:24 pm

Lib-Dems now considering legal action against the BBC for allowing Jo Swinson to take part in tonight's debate.
These 6 users liked this post: tiger76 Rick_Muller Paul Waine AndyClaret Caballo longsidepies

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:29 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:The most fascinating part of QT for me was Swinson getting near silence to most answers and groans to others. She was totally destroyed. This was 1 mile away from the massive Lib Dem stronghold of Sheffield Hallam, Clegg’s former seat, briefly occupied by the odious Jared O Mara.

If the Tories take Hallam i'll be gobsmacked,they are starting from 3rd,and surprisingly in this election both the BP and UKIP are contesting the seat.

Added to that it's a student heavy electorate,and the Lib Dems have been campaigning strongly,as they rightly note O'Mara's antics haven't done Labour any favours here,in fact this is one of the few seats in which an outright revoke strategy could pay dividends for Swinson,her problem is there isn't more than about 20/25 seats with similar demographics.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2633 times
Has Liked: 6445 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:30 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Swinson answered the questions

Pretty novel I thought.

Might catch on.
Don’t tell me you’re truly that blinkered Lancaster... I really wanted Jo Swinson to succeed, but she failed miserably tonight.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:30 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Lib-Dems now considering legal action against the BBC for allowing Jo Swinson to take part in tonight's debate.
That made me :lol:
Last edited by tiger76 on Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:32 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Or here is a novel idea.

Just admit you said something daft
Or, maybe I just posted something you don't agree with, but that's ok.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:39 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Swinson answered the questions

Pretty novel I thought.

Might catch on.
Well, yes, Jo Swinson answered all the questions - like a teenager called in to the headmistress's office to explain why she'd not done her homework. Or, to give it a football angle: like Pochettino called in to explain the start to the season by Levy. ;)

Swinson came across the least experienced of the 4 - which, of course, she is. But, she also showed that she already knows that she's losing badly - through the policy choices she's made. That's the realities, I'm afraid.

Who do you think will be leading LibDems this time next year?
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:44 pm

tiger76 wrote:If the Tories take Hallam i'll be gobsmacked,they are starting from 3rd,and surprisingly in this election both the BP and UKIP are contesting the seat.

Added to that it's a student heavy electorate,and the Lib Dems have been campaigning strongly,as they rightly note O'Mara's antics haven't done Labour any favours here,in fact this is one of the few seats in which an outright revoke strategy could pay dividends for Swinson,her problem is there isn't more than about 20/25 seats with similar demographics.
Based on 4 Ls QT, it doesn't look like LibDems will be getting many student votes. Swinson was asked about student loans and 6% interest rates. Given the "student tax" approach that LibDems wanted - including no repayments if you don't earn enough - the 6% interest rate is more likely one of LDs "bright ideas" than it is their coalition partners. Just my hunch, of course.

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:08 am

The reason that QT was good was because it was in Sheffield, a city full of genuine, hard working and sincere people without too many random interventions from attention seekers. The audience was the winner rather than any of the politicians, although I thought Sturgeon was easily the most comfortable in her skin. Your passionate pro Tory stance Crosspool will always be unfathomable to me knowing the great guy I know you to be, but at least I know there’s one Tory in the Uk who has some compassion - I’m yet to see that trait in ANY current Tory MP, let me know if you can point me to one. I think it’s the worst set I’ve seen in my lifetime (for balance, it’s also the worst labour front bench).
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:28 am

tiger76 wrote:If the Tories take Hallam i'll be gobsmacked,they are starting from 3rd,and surprisingly in this election both the BP and UKIP are contesting the seat.

I agree, though I know the Tory candidate who is a lifelong local businessman who supports many local charities and public sector bodies. He is a very clever, articulate and decent guy (but lost to O’Mara in 2017 which shows you the mentality of many voters).

Ultimately though, Hallam is one of the most wealthy and educated constituencies in the country. It is not hard to imagine them feeling Corbyn is a danger and stopping him is far more important than reversing Brexit (which many also want).

While Swinson bombed though, the main problem tonight for her was that the audience was clearly biased in favour of Labour and the SNP. Swinson and Johnson hardly got a clap as they walked on, if the audience was balanced they would have. Having supporters clapping you makes a big difference to the “feel” of these things. I suspect that in hindsight the two performed credibly under enemy fire and didn't suffer the calamity that Theresa May did in 2017. The polls won’t change much I predict.

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:37 am

Cubanclaret wrote:The reason that QT was good was because it was in Sheffield, a city full of genuine, hard working and sincere people without too many random interventions from attention seekers. The audience was the winner rather than any of the politicians, although I thought Sturgeon was easily the most comfortable in her skin. Your passionate pro Tory stance Crosspool will always be unfathomable to me knowing the great guy I know you to be, but at least I know there’s one Tory in the Uk who has some compassion - I’m yet to see that trait in ANY current Tory MP, let me know if you can point me to one. I think it’s the worst set I’ve seen in my lifetime (for balance, it’s also the worst labour front bench).
You haven’t read many of my posts good sir, I am only voting Tory (for the second time in six elections) to get Brexit delivered and to keep Corbyn out of Number 10 - and possibly because I believe he will fund the north quite significantly as a one off.

My politics sit more naturally with the SDP, centre left economically (working people focus) and centre right socially (family and community focus). I posted the link to their New Declaration (aka manifesto) last night.

p.s. compassionate Tory MPs - picking those who I have had at least a 10 minute one to one conversation with this year, I would say Steve Baker (great guy), Ben Bradley and, yes, Boris Johnson (the conversation was before he became PM). I’m not easily hoodwinked and I do believe those three all care deeply about poorer people (cannot confirm if they have it as their HIGHEST priority, I’m not a complete mindreader).

wickdkewlclaret
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by wickdkewlclaret » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:44 am

If anyone can vote Tory after watching that, there is no helping you.

Oh.. and **** your Brexit.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:09 am

"Actress" from hard left propaganda film, I Daniel Blake allowed in Question Time audience.
Attachments
4.PNG
4.PNG (320.27 KiB) Viewed 1618 times

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4254 times

Post by Greenmile » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:29 am

“Hard left propaganda film” :lol: :lol:
These 2 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret Claret-On-A-T-Rex

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1354 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:20 am

I thought both Swinson and Johnson came across terribly for pretty much the same reason. They (and their parties) have both been in government over the course of the last decade, and they have no answers or explanations for why the country is currently in the absolute state it's in. They're both tainted by their own records and there's no getting away from it.

Corbyn's Labour on the other hand have been out of office for a long time now, and are offering something genuinely different and refreshing, and the Lib Dems and Tories can't match it. If people are fed up with the status quo and want change, he's offering it. Maybe a lot of people will vote for that.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:09 am

Rick_Muller wrote:Don’t tell me you’re truly that blinkered Lancaster... I really wanted Jo Swinson to succeed, but she failed miserably tonight.
Not at all

All four leaders have big issues that they can't really reconcile, and all four failed miserably to answer them adequately.

But she attempted to answer the questions, which is a plus.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:11 am

Paul Waine wrote:Or, maybe I just posted something you don't agree with, but that's ok.
Nope

It was rubbish, which is why you got jumped on.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:13 am

Paul Waine wrote:Well, yes, Jo Swinson answered all the questions - like a teenager called in to the headmistress's office to explain why she'd not done her homework. Or, to give it a football angle: like Pochettino called in to explain the start to the season by Levy. ;)

Swinson came across the least experienced of the 4 - which, of course, she is. But, she also showed that she already knows that she's losing badly - through the policy choices she's made. That's the realities, I'm afraid.

Who do you think will be leading LibDems this time next year?
Almost like you don't understand how Lib Dem policy is decided Paul.

But that can't be right can it?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:15 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:I agree, though I know the Tory candidate who is a lifelong local businessman who supports many local charities and public sector bodies. He is a very clever, articulate and decent guy (but lost to O’Mara in 2017 which shows you the mentality of many voters).

Ultimately though, Hallam is one of the most wealthy and educated constituencies in the country. It is not hard to imagine them feeling Corbyn is a danger and stopping him is far more important than reversing Brexit (which many also want).

While Swinson bombed though, the main problem tonight for her was that the audience was clearly biased in favour of Labour and the SNP. Swinson and Johnson hardly got a clap as they walked on, if the audience was balanced they would have. Having supporters clapping you makes a big difference to the “feel” of these things. I suspect that in hindsight the two performed credibly under enemy fire and didn't suffer the calamity that Theresa May did in 2017. The polls won’t change much I predict.
It's in Sheffield, that well known SNP stronghold

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:16 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:You haven’t read many of my posts good sir, I am only voting Tory (for the second time in six elections) to get Brexit delivered and to keep Corbyn out of Number 10 - and possibly because I believe he will fund the north quite significantly as a one off.

My politics sit more naturally with the SDP, centre left economically (working people focus) and centre right socially (family and community focus). I posted the link to their New Declaration (aka manifesto) last night.

p.s. compassionate Tory MPs - picking those who I have had at least a 10 minute one to one conversation with this year, I would say Steve Baker (great guy), Ben Bradley and, yes, Boris Johnson (the conversation was before he became PM). I’m not easily hoodwinked and I do believe those three all care deeply about poorer people (cannot confirm if they have it as their HIGHEST priority, I’m not a complete mindreader).
How many years do you really think it will take to negotiate our departure from the EU?

Burnley have more chance of winning the Premier league than Boris Johnson has of sporting out a trade agreement with the EU

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:25 am

Turns out the audience was stacked as per Houses of Parliament.

So a grand total of 2 Lib Dems in the room.

So vast majority of audience is Lab or Con.

Heathclaret
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 179 times

Post by Heathclaret » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:45 am

Boris Johnson caring deeply about poor people is, probably, the funniest thing I’ve read for a long time.

Not easily hoodwinked? Does he have to walk around wearing an “IDGAF about the poor” t- shirt for you to see the real Tory hiding inside?
This user liked this post: Greenmile

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:56 am

It was excellent btw because it showed the leaders and the audience honed in on their weaknesses.

Sturgeon - independence ahead of anything else, with a Conservative esq cavalier attitude to what happens afterwards

Corbyn - desperate not to be asked about Brexit, so he was and came across as exactly how he didn't want to (ie trying to come across as neutral and you can't be neutral on this)

Swinson - no doubt revoking Article 50 outright is divisive and it showed, and the coalition is hard to justify

Johnson - racism and trust

Course, you could argue that we could really do with a positive type debate, but we saw those sorts of things at the various manifesto launches.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:30 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Nope

It was rubbish, which is why you got jumped on.
To borrow quotes from a couple of people we saw on tv last night:

"That doesn't make you bad."

"I have a different opinion and that doesn't make me bad."

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:32 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Almost like you don't understand how Lib Dem policy is decided Paul.

But that can't be right can it?
Nope, not a clue how LibDems end up where they are.

I've a feeling Jo Swinson is thinking pretty much the same this morning. ;)

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:41 am

Paul Waine wrote:To borrow quotes from a couple of people we saw on tv last night:

"That doesn't make you bad."

"I have a different opinion and that doesn't make me bad."
It was rubbish.

Four or five posters instantly laughed in your face.

You want to pretend its because we are all lefties and we automatically attack anything that isn't lefty, that is 100% up to you.
This user liked this post: Greenmile

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:43 am

Paul Waine wrote:Nope, not a clue how LibDems end up where they are.

I've a feeling Jo Swinson is thinking pretty much the same this morning. ;)
And Johnson did well?

And Sturgeon did well?

And Corbyn did well?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:47 am

Worth mentioning again

- Leaving the UK with a deal that leads to a hard brexit is divisive

- having a policy where we renegotiate another deal and have another referendum is divisive

- having another referendum with remain not on the ballot paper is divisive

- having another referendum with remain on the ballot paper is divisive

- revoking article 50 is divisive

Whichever brand of politics you follow, then any result will be divisive.

No one has even attempted to explain now you heal the divisions in the country, which suggests to me that no one really is interested.

For me, if its going to be divisive anyway, then we might as well do the way that at least safeguards the economy and doesn't mean that we treat millions of people who live and work here as 2nd class people.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:58 am

Dy1geo wrote:I quite like the idea of a green investment bank, their policies on council house building, trying to abolish the needs for food banks and trying to rid our streets of the homeless. Believe in Nationalising the railway’s.

Against privatisation of the utilities, Royal Mail as I feel they will become inefficient and not turn out to be the income producers that Labour are budgeting for. I am against raising the dividend tax rate from 7.5% to 20% as I feel it will affect small businesses. I am against raising Corporation tax rates as in the highly mobile business environment there is a danger companies will change domicility and we could end up losing Revenue.

Whilst I admire the policy of freezing the state pension at 66 I am realistic to know that given that the ratio of working people to pensioners is lowering each year it is not sustainable.

On a general note given the scale of borrowing needed the fear is that if the market’s went against us our debt interest payments could rise to such a level that cuts would have to be made that would affect the poorest in society.
Thanks for the response.

Royal Mail was state owned just a few years ago and made a profit, so I’m not worried that these organisations will end up as bloated bureaucracies just through nationalisation. In fact I see the nationalisations as enabling wider business. Without ripoff utilities, business will see expenses fall. With improved train service they’ll see employees arrive on time. And with better internet connections, business opportunities will open up. If the internet had been privatised and pay as you click from the beginning, there would be no Google now.

The right wing press make much of the cost, though I think they’re more concerned with their owners being taxed more, but once the money is raised it doesn’t just disappear. It circulated through the economy. Better that money is spent on welfare and travels through the economy than it goes straight into an offshore bank account and sits there.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:01 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:It was rubbish.

Four or five posters instantly laughed in your face.

You want to pretend its because we are all lefties and we automatically attack anything that isn't lefty, that is 100% up to you.
and you want to play the "bad boy" - that's fine. ;)

What is this "laughed in your face" stuff? Where has all this social media angst come from?

Are you at Watford today, Lancs?