General Election Is On

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Re: General Election Is On

Post by Spijed » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:47 pm

Out of interest, are those interviews filmed one after the other, thus no candidate can find out what anyone else said beforehand?

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:51 pm

Granny WeatherWax wrote:Obviously you can’t see the wood from the trees either.

I love cryptic stuff, I really do, however I will have to admit that what you post is way beyond me

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:52 pm

Spijed wrote:You think Boris will be any better?
Even momentum admit that he was massacred.
Attachments
7.jpg
7.jpg (67.8 KiB) Viewed 1483 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (52.65 KiB) Viewed 1483 times

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1182 times
Has Liked: 418 times

Post by Darthlaw » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:52 pm

Looking at it Spijed, I doubt it.

Given Neil’s style though, they don’t get the chance to deflect to the opposition before he shuts them down. Probably currently the best political journalist going, for that reason.

Plus, Corbyn really should have known what was coming I.e. budget, AS, willingness to authorise a hit, etc etc. He just didn’t seem prepared.

Just as Johnson is going to get pinged for lying, looking after the rich, racist comments, etc, etc.
These 2 users liked this post: KateR elwaclaret

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:54 pm

Spijed wrote:Out of interest, are those interviews filmed one after the other, thus no candidate can find out what anyone else said beforehand?
Seeing as Brillo started off with the Chief Rabbis comments from today i'd say that it was filmed earlier today.

Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:55 pm

KateR wrote:I love cryptic stuff, I really do, however I will have to admit that what you post is way beyond me
Maybe you’ll understand this

Do you think it’s ok to continue to tell blatant lies in order to try and win a referendum / election?

KateR

Post by KateR » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:58 pm

Spijed wrote:You think Boris will be any better?

I don't, it really does highlight what many think in terms of the poor standard of leaders and many politicians in terms of what is available to actually make a meaningful choice, I would like to think it was better years ago. However in reality maybe not if they had to face this kind of limelight and interrogation in to what they previously said and did along with there present stance and manifestos

Yet am sure the public will decide what really matters to them individually in terms of who was worse than others and who you can possibly trust, allowing one to make a meaningful vote

KateR

Post by KateR » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:06 pm

Granny WeatherWax wrote:Maybe you’ll understand this

Do you think it’s ok to continue to tell blatant lies in order to try and win a referendum / election?

we have done this one to death, and if you believe JC and co then good luck to you, let me know how it works out for you, perhaps you should vote for NS and then you will know exactly what you're voting for in the main.

I truly believe they all lie so you have to sift the lies to see what you get left with in terms of choices, I don't berate JC and others, however you jump to the great conclusion about what all tory voters must be, do you think it's ok to do that to millions, to call them names because they happen not to agree with you? Name calling like that is childish in itself nah nah n nah ha

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10237 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:06 pm

KateR wrote:Great joke, my sides are splitting laughing, so now I'm also ignorant because you say so, great reply, be quiet, yes sir anything you say sir, and you tell me to grow up. You're a laugh a minute you are.

No, you're ignorant because you jumped to a conclusion regarding my post. You have an agenda, good for you, but don't get all sulky when your screw up is pointed out to you.
Very chivalrous of your buddies to stick up for you, such a comfort I'm sure. I'm asking you to be quiet rather than have a go at someone who, you think, has a different opinion to you. You assumed so and that was enough for you. You seem to be under the impression I care what the political parties are doing or saying. That's where the growing up bit comes in - learn from your stupidity and move on.
"You're a laugh a minute you are." Ouch, so brutal.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1643 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:08 pm

Neil relentlessly homed in on Corbyn’s four achilles heels, and, to mix my metaphors, holed him below the waterline. The four are:

1. Antisemitism
2. Brexit neutrality (obviously to try to retain Leave voters)
3. WASPI women (obviously to try to win over a few million female voters after the PM’s question on Friday)
4. Danger to national security.

All four were devastating. Any one should sink a campaign. That it won’t shows us how polarised things have got.

p.s. I look forward to the Johnson one too, but apart from trust I don’t see the landmines lurking.

p.p.s. Particularly devastating was the evidence that if just a few thousand high earners leave the country the tax plan is in pieces.

KateR

Post by KateR » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:11 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:No, you're ignorant because you jumped to a conclusion regarding my post. You have an agenda, good for you, but don't get all sulky when your screw up is pointed out to you.
Very chivalrous of your buddies to stick up for you, such a comfort I'm sure. I'm asking you to be quiet rather than have a go at someone who, you think, has a different opinion to you. You assumed so and that was enough for you. You seem to be under the impression I care what the political parties are doing or saying. That's where the growing up bit comes in - learn from your stupidity and move on.
"You're a laugh a minute you are." Ouch, so brutal.

keep digging that hole, am laughing to much to type properly, comedians, you've got to love them.

Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:19 pm

KateR wrote:we have done this one to death, and if you believe JC and co then good luck to you, let me know how it works out for you, perhaps you should vote for NS and then you will know exactly what you're voting for in the main.

I truly believe they all lie so you have to sift the lies to see what you get left with in terms of choices, I don't berate JC and others, however you jump to the great conclusion about what all tory voters must be, do you think it's ok to do that to millions, to call them names because they happen not to agree with you? Name calling like that is childish in itself nah nah n nah ha
Name calling? Calling someone a liar for er telling tells is hardly the crime of the century.

It’s utterly disgusting how Hancock and co can try and use our NHS as bargaining chip and lie left right and centre about it given it’s of significant political importance.

O, and you never answered the question.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:31 pm

KateR wrote:keep digging that hole, am laughing to much to type properly, comedians, you've got to love them.

You certainly do. Just keep your gob shut in future until you're clear what's happening. Your blind faith in the Tories and your blind hatred of Labour is all too clear. Good for you.
Just don't lump me in with your stupid point-scoring, I'm really not that fussed.

KateR

Post by KateR » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:36 pm

Granny WeatherWax wrote:Name calling? Calling someone a liar for er telling tells is hardly the crime of the century.

It’s utterly disgusting how Hancock and co can try and use our NHS as bargaining chip and lie left right and centre about it given it’s of significant political importance.

I did answer your question, I will try again, they all lie, why single one party or person out? You have worked out it's a lie, no one is arguing with that, I have stated many times BJ lied, I am not defending that.

I was trying to point out your mass name calling against every tory voter, which is in effect not true and therefore you yourself are being derogatory and clearly telling a lie, hopefully you can understand why I might think this. Next you'll be telling me all Americans are fat and loud

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6363 times
Has Liked: 8705 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:38 pm

Spijed wrote:Even Nicola Sturgeon struggled and she is light years ahead of any other leader in terms of debating.
Just watched the Nicolz Sturgeon interview, as some poster, on here, said she was chewed up and spat out, which have never seen before.

Nicola was very strong indeed, despite a list of very detailed, number crunching Qs. She was very well prepared and held here own and argued back, querying the correctness of the Qs with knowledge.

I had just watched Mr C, who was well Mr C.
Neil won that one, although it was not anything about the manifesto,which was a bit poor from Neil.

Johnson and Swinson won't stand a chance, although Swinson will be fed easier Qs, by our Libdem man.

Johnson will just say, well, well, well Andrew, I say, let's just get this done, by our one nation Conservatives. What do you mean, you are not talking about Brexit? Have you seen my photo op pics?

KateR

Post by KateR » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:39 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:You certainly do. Just keep your gob shut in future until you're clear what's happening. Your blind faith in the Tories and your blind hatred of Labour is all too clear. Good for you.
Just don't lump me in with your stupid point-scoring, I'm really not that fussed.

Funny, you're definitely getting better and better at this, I can clearly see you're not fussed at all, now you're also reading my mind, comedy and magic, it's a wonderful show you are putting on, please don't stop.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2904 times

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:44 pm

Granny WeatherWax wrote:Name calling? Calling someone a liar for er telling tells is hardly the crime of the century.

No party would dare risk the backlash of smashing the NHS even if they desperately want to. Negotiations are very different from policy. If America wants to talk about selling drugs, it gets us in... they can huff and puff as much as they want, while they are at it we are demonstrating everything else that both parties get out of it... it will be in America’s favour, who can blame them.... but it WILL NOT be at the expense of the NHS... or more importantly being seemed to be damaging the NHS... it would be political suicide to present it if not to parliament, to the nation.

aggi
Been Liked: 2116 times

Post by aggi » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:48 pm

Granny WeatherWax wrote:So you think it’s alright for them to continue to tell blatant lies in order to try and win the election?
Well that's lowbank's usual policy to date so I'd assume he's fine with it.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:49 pm

KateR wrote:Funny, you're definitely getting better and better at this, I can clearly see you're not fussed at all, now you're also reading my mind, comedy and magic, it's a wonderful show you are putting on, please don't stop.

I'm not at all fussed about politics, I'm fussed about you wading in and talking ******** and then getting all hissy when you're told you're wrong. You seem to have accepted that so fair enough. The comedy/magic deflection stuff merely confirms that.

Not sure where the mind-reading comes in .............. :?

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:00 pm

Granny WeatherWax wrote:So you think it’s alright for them to continue to tell blatant lies in order to try and win the election?
Oh see Labour telling the truth like never

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:03 pm

aggi wrote:Well that's lowbank's usual policy to date so I'd assume he's fine with it.

I think I posted several links that contradicted my own thoughts the other day.

Always happy to be re-educated.

Thing is I am always asked to provide links and proof where’s as the rest can spout crap with no back up or challenge.

KateR

Post by KateR » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:08 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:I'm not at all fussed about politics, I'm fussed about you wading in and talking ******** and then getting all hissy when you're told you're wrong. You seem to have accepted that so fair enough. The comedy/magic deflection stuff merely confirms that.

Not sure where the mind-reading comes in .............. :?

I am here to help you where I can, and boy do you need help!.

You managed to make statements about my hatred for Labour and I believe in my love of all things Tory, that's the jist of what I read anyway. All this with no interest in politics, yep I have clearly accepted all what you said, ignorant, stupid, got to keep my gob shut, all the usual banter and fun that we have here. Are you wearing Joker make up while you're typing tonight, just a thought. Ohh yea, forgot about me getting all hissy to, next you'll be educating me on how all women get like that, due to PMS or something of the sort

KateR

Post by KateR » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:16 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:Oh see Labour telling the truth like never

You are clearly missing the point silly boy :) Labour are obviously not held to those same standards, only the Tories tell lies, at the behest of the worlds second chief lie teller, but he is catching up fast with his mentor across the pond according to many.

labour get excused from it, maybe because it is not lies, they just tell things they believe that many others don't believe, that is not lying, that is having an opinion but being wrong because you know no better.

this board is like a micro ecosystem of Britain and so very divided, but I think everyone seems to believe in there own version of reality, I wish I could take the blue pill and go back into the safe comfort of the Matrix away from all this, yet someone has to fight against the dark side, which has been held at bay for 11 years or so.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2904 times

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:21 pm

As a famous Jock wit once said,

Don’t vote for anyone you wouldn’t be willing to sit and have a pint with. Good a reason as trying to listen what ANY of them say at the moment.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:30 pm

I’m fine with saying that I have been a labour supporter all my life....but that interview tonight was a complete clusterf-uck.
Corbyn is not a liar in my view - whereas Boris has been proven to have lied politically and in his private life many many times.
One of the main reasons I can say Corbyn is not a liar is because he rarely answers the actual question he is being asked.
To be unprepared as he was tonight when it was so obvious what he was going to be asked is worse than embarrassing - it’s pushing on negligent.
The only good thing to come out of this election (for me anyway) is that Corbyn will be sent for a long long trip on the Trans Siberian Railway.
Hopefully Labour will then rebuild quickly as it will not be long before Boris implodes.
This user liked this post: Damo

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:32 pm

KateR wrote:I am here to help you where I can, and boy do you need help!.

You managed to make statements about my hatred for Labour and I believe in my love of all things Tory, that's the jist of what I read anyway. All this with no interest in politics, yep I have clearly accepted all what you said, ignorant, stupid, got to keep my gob shut, all the usual banter and fun that we have here. Are you wearing Joker make up while you're typing tonight, just a thought. Ohh yea, forgot about me getting all hissy to, next you'll be educating me on how all women get like that, due to PMS or something of the sort

Your last sentence tells us all we need to know about you.

Never mind, have a lovely night.

xxx

KateR

Post by KateR » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:39 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:Your last sentence tells us all we need to know about you.

Never mind, have a lovely night.

xxx

I will thank you xxx

just out of interest, does the statement "tells us all we need to know about you" refer to all the different people/personalities residing in your body/mind, or is it another mass statement you are making for every reader of this thread, I'm just interested, that's all. :) xxx

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:41 pm

TVC15 wrote:To be unprepared as he was tonight when it was so obvious what he was going to be asked is worse than embarrassing - it’s pushing on negligent.
Even Nicola Sturgeon came out of her interview last night very badly, and she's arguably the best around at these sort of things.

I don't think anyone can come out of a AN interview very well.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:43 pm

An old Jewish man talking about anti-Semitism in the Labour Party: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JEX5OGmXLz4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:50 pm

Spijed wrote:Even Nicola Sturgeon came out of her interview last night very badly, and she's arguably the best around at these sort of things.

I don't think anyone can come out of a AN interview very well.
But Corbyn's interview was an absolute car crash. It's hard to see how it could have gone any worse for him. Torn to pieces while also showing a complete inability to answer questions.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:50 pm

I think the problem with this debate is there are too many posters living in fear that this election is going to end their hopes that Brexit will be stopped.

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:51 pm

Kate, I don't think the Conservatives will do that much to redress the chronic underfunding of public services because their record in that area is such a poor one. The situation now is so bad that it demands a radical solution and I just can't see that the Conservative Party will do that. They dumped the burden of paying for the financial crisis onto the poorest people because they wouldn't raise taxes in a way that would have meant that the richest people also made a contribution. Why would they change now? It's not the way that the Conservative Party thinks or operates.

Added to which of course is the question of Boris Johnson's integrity. He is simply not an honest person. I don't know why, but in his case mendacity seems to be an instinctive, knee-jerk reaction when faced with any difficult issue.
This user liked this post: TVC15

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:59 pm

taio wrote:showing a complete inability to answer questions.
And that is Boris Johnson in a nutshell!

It's well known he has absolutely no grasp of any details. I suspect that's why his advisors have got him to say "Get Brexit Done" at every opportunity.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:04 pm

That’s all politicians.

Petrified of being honest.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:05 pm

I personally think that the Tories deserve to lose this election. I would be confident that this would happen but for the public's determination and desire not to have the Referendum result overturned, and the genuine fear of a Jeremy Corbyn government.
The Tories should pay for what they have done to the most vulnerable in our society. It has been disgraceful and any decent opposition would make them pay.
Will the young voters have the same impact as the older voters in the Referendum? I don't know. They will need to be more involved than they have been at any time in my lifetime

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:11 pm

Spijed wrote:And that is Boris Johnson in a nutshell!

It's well known he has absolutely no grasp of any details. I suspect that's why his advisors have got him to say "Get Brexit Done" at every opportunity.
I was specifically referring to the two things together ie torn apart despite not answering the questions. It was a desperately poor interview by Corbyn. Corbyn was underprepared, had no grasp of detail and came across as a novice when trying but failing miserably to dodge the questions.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:15 pm

Bordeaux, I think we are all petrified to be honest in reality today , and in my opinion that is because of the way our society has evolved.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4835 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:59 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:.

p.s. I look forward to the Johnson one too, but apart from trust I don’t see the landmines lurking.
Will be interesting to see if Neil interrupts Johnson more or less than the SEVENTY~two interruptions he made during Corbyn’s 28 and a half minute interview!!!!
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Inchy
Been Liked: 1334 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Inchy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:05 pm

I am fed up of the amount of support this Tory government are getting off decent traditional labour voting people just because they don’t want to see Corbyn in government.

If you don’t like Corbyn then good! I don’t particularly like him either. I don’t particularly believe a lot of his policies will work either. Does that mean I am going to stick up for Boris when he tells lies? Does it mean I will stick up for a Tory government when they force people to starvation? Does it mean I will stick up for the Tories when they make the poorest suffer and the richest prosper?

Does it B0ll0CKS!

If people don’t like this labour rabble I can totally understand but if people support this Tory mob like they are going to be the second coming then I really question their morality. This is a horrific government.
If people want to vote Tory to avoid what they perceive an even worse labour government then fair enough. But let’s not pretend that this Tory lot are decent. They are incompetent at best and evil at worst
Last edited by Inchy on Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These 2 users liked this post: Joe Buck AndrewJB

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:06 pm

Just watched the Andrew Neil interview and it is surely a spoof. God bless Corbyn

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:10 pm

There is no such thing as a traditional Labour voter. The decline of industry and Blair saw to that.
The same way as the tap room no longer exists.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:13 pm

No doubt about it Neil is downright rude and he’s an obnoxious arrogant man with a massive chip on his shoulder.
But...he would not have to interrupt JC as many times as he did if he had answered the questions he was being asked.
He won’t be allowed to let the others off the hook so they will be in for a tough time too - but it’s not it’s a big surprise that Neil is going to be like this and that he will also be armed with statistics.
So turn up prepared and don’t give him the chance to jump on you by not answering the question or even worse lying.

I still can’t get over how bad Corbyn performed. It takes some doing to look worse than Boris in interviews - lets hope Boris crumbles and shows his true colours

Edit
Btw Inchy - hell will freeze over before I vote Tory. That will never ever happen.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:24 pm

Let's get one thing straight. Andrew Neil did not keep interrupting Corbyn.
Corbyn thought he was on Question Time where Fiona Bruce allows these politicians time to waffle without answering the question. Not just Question time by the way but it's the obvious example.
Neil is a political heavyweight and like the few of his ilk , he will give any politician who doesn't give a straight answer a very hard time.
I look forward to how Johnson deals with him.
These 2 users liked this post: Darthlaw GodIsADeeJay81

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:25 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:That’s all politicians.

Petrified of being honest.
I would say all politicians are afraid of losing the narrative of what they advocate, rather than the truth - which in many respects is subjective to the pre-set assumptions of the voter. Interviewers attempt to pull apart the narrative of the politician, to confirm the pre-set assumptions of the voters opposed to that politician. This is seen in our society as a "proper interrogation" - which, when you think of it, is a the natural consequence of our adversarial system, and a sad thing. It could be more positive.

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1182 times
Has Liked: 418 times

Post by Darthlaw » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:25 pm

jdrobbo wrote:Will be interesting to see if Neil interrupts Johnson more or less than the SEVENTY~two interruptions he made during Corbyn’s 28 and a half minute interview!!!!
22 occasions relate to the Back and forth relating to how Labour will pay for the Waspi women promise. On 10 occasions he either tries to explain the promise or specifically responds to the question “how will you pay” with “can I tell you why?”

Seems simple enough, answer the question - don’t get interrupted.

For that reason, Johnson will be bricking it.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:28 pm

I notice JRM has been hidden away by the Tories. Probably worried the answer he would give if he was asked if he had any sympathy for the victims of the Grenfell Tower disaster.

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:31 pm

jdrobbo wrote:Will be interesting to see if Neil interrupts Johnson more or less than the SEVENTY~two interruptions he made during Corbyn’s 28 and a half minute interview!!!!
I agree.

People seem split on Twitter about whether Neil is a legend or a waste of an interview with constant interruptions. I personally go with the former because these politicians are all taught evasiveness by their media advisors nowadays.

Despite the interruptions (arguably to stop JC going off on a tangent) Neil covered enormous ground. At least six major topics. I enjoyed it, and I hope Johnson and Swinson are given as tough a grilling.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:36 pm

So you think it's a sad thing to put a potential leader of our country on the spot Andrew. In my opinion that is so 'wet lettuce'

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:37 pm

Both their interviews next Tue and Wednesday

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:38 pm

Elizabeth wrote:There is no such thing as a traditional Labour voter. The decline of industry and Blair saw to that.
The same way as the tap room no longer exists.
Actually, that is a really good comment.

And a sad one.

There are a lot of people who feel unrepresented (and I mean over ten million).

The big gap is for a party that is slightly left of centre, with big money put into public services funded by a democratic capitalist system fairly taxed, socially conservative and slightly nationalistic (the latter two mean it was never New Labour). That’s the SDP, but they are only tiddlers nowadays. I would vote for them but they don’t stand a candidate up in my constituency.

I actually think there are a lot of decent blue collar conservatives wanting to send the Tories down that road - but I sense the party are too ingrained with posh types to allow that to happen. The parties may resist, but the people don’t stop being the people, and sooner or later they will have someone to vote for who thinks like them.