Remembering Eli

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Remembering Eli

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:21 am

I know there will be less posters who will now remember him but 13 years ago today we lost arguably our best and funniest poster when Eli passed away suddenly.

My thoughts today with Yvonne (otherwise known as ‘Er Indoors) and his two sons Simon & Bryn.

You are still so badly missed by those of us who were around at the time.

Tony - apparently a member of the Top Brass.
These 17 users liked this post: spadesclaret MG70 Paulclaret Goddy turfytopper Holtyclaret dougcollins BOYSIE31 elwaclaret bfcjg groove IanMcL Wembley09 dandeclaret Herts Clarets jedi_master Belgiumburnley

bf2k
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Re: Remembering Eli

Post by bf2k » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:48 am

ClaretTony wrote:I know there will be less posters who will now remember him but 13 years ago today we lost arguably our best and funniest poster when Eli passed away suddenly.

My thoughts today with Yvonne (otherwise known as ‘Er Indoors) and his two sons Simon & Bryn.

You are still so badly missed by those of us who were around at the time.

Tony - apparently a member of the Top Brass.
Bloody hell 13 years ago? Sadly missed off here.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:05 am

Sending love to Eli’s family. A fantastic man, who was a great inspiration to me. His profound words of wisdom were always appreciated.

For note, the West Yorkshire Luvvies are still going strong.

J

Yanquiclaret
Been Liked: 54 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Post by Yanquiclaret » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:20 am

13 years bloody hell time marches on.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1747 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:48 am

A minutes applause on the 13th minute for the next home game then?

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:56 am

I always used to enjoy reading the contributions from the poster eli. Witty, insightful and knowledgable with a very dry humour. Then a photo was published on the old site of posters outside the Bridge pre game, possibly Palace at home first game of the season? And then the penny dropped. Eli was none other than David Evans.

I had known David for as long as I could remember, he lived 5 doors up from us in Nelson. Simon and Bryn went to the same school as me and my mum was and still is good friends with Yvonne. It was a sad day 13 years ago when I received a phone call informing me that David had died the previous evening. He is missed as a great bloke, top poster and I know as a father and husband.

I believe his parting shot was to inform the board he was having a short holiday, after buying a lead for his travel kettle from Distortion Dave's emporium and a warning for any Scousers reading that his house wouldn't be empty.

I will raise a glass later in memory of eli. UTC

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 815 times
Has Liked: 527 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:08 am

I remember joining the old board in around 2004-5 and thinking Blimey! There are other Burnley fans out there.

Eli being one .

May he continue to rest in peace <3

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:16 am

Herts Clarets wrote:I always used to enjoy reading the contributions from the poster eli. Witty, insightful and knowledgable with a very dry humour. Then a photo was published on the old site of posters outside the Bridge pre game, possibly Palace at home first game of the season? And then the penny dropped. Eli was none other than David Evans.

I had known David for as long as I could remember, he lived 5 doors up from us in Nelson. Simon and Bryn went to the same school as me and my mum was and still is good friends with Yvonne. It was a sad day 13 years ago when I received a phone call informing me that David had died the previous evening. He is missed as a great bloke, top poster and I know as a father and husband.

I believe his parting shot was to inform the board he was having a short holiday, after buying a lead for his travel kettle from Distortion Dave's emporium and a warning for any Scousers reading that his house wouldn't be empty.

I also knew David long before he became Eli through NCC with him and Simon and being at school with Bryn, where Yvonne also taught. I read his posts having no idea who had actually written them (although in hindsight, it was easy to put the two and two together).

A very funny man who also had a hobby of making prank calls to the Radio Lancashire phone in.

ALP
Been Liked: 1464 times
Has Liked: 387 times

Post by ALP » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:52 am

Eli was a brilliant member of the boards with plenty of wit and humour; where or where have those years gone?

Rest in Peace Eli, a true Claret who should never be forgotten.

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:16 am

13 years ago, crikey time flies, RIP Eli!

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:21 am

Only met him once before a match, and he mocked me for wearing sandals. He made me laugh a lot on the old board. Thoughts are with his family.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:58 am

A lot of things I remember about him and if I could have a wish then it would have been to have known him longer than I did.

He used to tease jdrobbo on this board, before they got to know each other, so when jdrobbo split up with his then girlfriend I thought I'd better warn eli so phoned him. He said that jdrobbo must be devastated so he would have (in his words) a ceasefire. A couple of weeks later, I got a call from him. He just asked: "Is it now safe to resume hostilities?"

Herts is correct - his last real post was to let us know he was going on holiday and had just been to distortiondave's emporium to get a new plug on his travel kettle because you need a good brew inside you at the start of the day. He said he would be back for the Hull game and warned that if there were any Scousers reading the post that the house would not be left unoccupied.

He didn't return for the Hull game and he wasn't on the Southend game a few days later either, so I phoned him and 'Er Indoors told me that he hadn't been well and was asleep. That led to a load of messages on the board and he did post once more to thank people for their good wishes and he was particularly pleased to have received one from reb who he referred to as the First Lady.

And then, on the morning of 31st October, I received a text from Herts to tell me he'd passed away. What a sad, sad day that was.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:09 am

And the one picture I can find - I used it in an article when we heard of his passing and suddenly a number of posters put two and two together and realised they knew Eli. The pint glasses are strategically placed; he was going through the tactics ahead of the game.
eli.jpg
eli.jpg (25.69 KiB) Viewed 4721 times
This user liked this post: turfytopper

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:27 am

I never knew Eli,sounds like a lovely guy,it's so nice that posters remember him....RIP Eli.

Herts Clarets

Post by Herts Clarets » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:00 am

A couple of memorable exchanges with eli:

On the morning England won the Rugby World Cup, 2003 I think, there was a Clarets Mad v Central Lancs Clarets 5 a side game at Thompson Centre. I played and spent a large portion of the game either kicking or having kicked out of me, several shades of manure. I could barely walk at the end and having forgotten my shin pads had lumps and bruising down both my shins. After showers we retired to the Bridge where eli noted that I had said I didn't much care for rugby. Correct was my reply. Don't you think some of those tackles you put in would have been more at home on a rugby pitch than a 5 a side court.....

He was having a discussion with Firmo and there was mention of Panglossian Hippy types. You're an educated man eli, you should be familiar with Voltaire. Aye I am, replies eli, it's on the back road between Skipton and Keighley

In 2003, before I knew the real identity of eli, I announced on the old board that on the day of the Watford home game, I would be unavailable for selection as I was getting married in Devon and would miss the next 2 weeks as I was boarding a plane across the Atlantic to honeymoon in Hawaii. Do you think that's wise asked eli, you can't be leaving before we have reached the 50 point mark for the season.

And one I quoted a couple of weeks back that always tickled me. When I see the word clique, it always draws me back to one of the funniest things I have read on the old site. Long standing posters will know the author...

"Interesting word is clique. You will find it in the dictionary between climax and clitoris"
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:01 am

I have to say I didn't know him but my older brother did. Was he a teacher/headteacher in Rossenale and also a former Lancs league cricket umpire? Anyway, best wishes to his family and friends at this time.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:06 am

Silkyskills1 wrote:Was he a teacher/headteacher in Rossenale and also a former Lancs league cricket umpire?
He was a maths teacher - believe he started at the school in Bacup between the football and cricket grounds and then elsewhere in Rossendale before ending his teaching career at Gawthorpe. He played Lancs League cricket for both Bacup and Nelson, once playing in a game against the great Gary Sobers who played for Todmorden as sub pro. He later was a Lancs League umpire, a job he carried out, I'm told, with the same humour as he showed on this board. He was also an after dinner speaker on the cricket circuit and his advert in the Cricketer magazine would carry the phrase: "Can even make Yorkshiremen laugh."

The day he played against Sobers
http://lancashireleague.com/Scorecards/27/27524.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jollyjack
Been Liked: 107 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by jollyjack » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:09 am

Some of the banter on the early messageboards was pure gold. Then Premier League started to eat into everything. Remember Firmo and the London Clarets, does he have a new alter ego on here these days? Lets make an effort to keep the board in the spirit of HC, Eli, Firmo, Herts, CT etc, a place of merciless ridicule!
These 2 users liked this post: Goddy clansman

Herts Clarets

Post by Herts Clarets » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:10 am

Didn't he claim a draw in that game, as he didn't get Sobers out but DP Evans finished not out. I also seem to remember him saying that Sobers clattered a six that hit the scoreboard and eli claimed for a one handed catch on the rebound, as per playground cricket rules.....

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:16 am

Was he from Rossendale,looking at his picture he looks familiar,anyone know how old he was?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:44 am

Steve1956 wrote:Was he from Rossendale,looking at his picture he looks familiar,anyone know how old he was?
I think he was 64 when he passed away. Yes, he was a Bacup lad I think.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:45 am

Herts Clarets wrote:Didn't he claim a draw in that game, as he didn't get Sobers out but DP Evans finished not out. I also seem to remember him saying that Sobers clattered a six that hit the scoreboard and eli claimed for a one handed catch on the rebound, as per playground cricket rules.....
Very much claimed a draw because neither of them got the other out. He also said that he and the number ten conjured up a run out because, by then, Sobers was bamboozling them with his slow left arm stuff.

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:32 am

I remember first meeting Eli, when he was Mr Evans at Haslingden Secondary Modern, at trials for Rossendale Schoolboys Under 14’s. He was hard to impress, I was the only representative from my school and we had never met before. So as Clayton Claret, meeting up with Eli years later, it took us a little while before we realised that we knew each other from back in the day. However we struck up a more equal friendship, Eli was 10 years my senior, and he would often confide in me on stuff that was not fit for consumption on a message board. He was very funny, laughed a lot and loved to have a dig at the more pompous characters that he met. I remember he wasn’t impressed when Cotterill tried to embarrass an audience member who had asked him a question that had probably struck a nerve. Other members of this board might better remember what Cotterill said, but it was along the lines of, ‘so what do you know about football coaching’? Kind of, ‘my dick is bigger than your dick’.

J50
Been Liked: 19 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by J50 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:47 am

Herts Clarets wrote:I always used to enjoy reading the contributions from the poster eli. Witty, insightful and knowledgable with a very dry humour. Then a photo was published on the old site of posters outside the Bridge pre game, possibly Palace at home first game of the season? And then the penny dropped. Eli was none other than David Evans.

Here he is. 4th and a half from the right... that's me on the right with sunglasses, and my son in front of me who is now 20 :shock:

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:05 pm

J50 wrote:Here he is. 4th and a half from the right... that's me on the right with sunglasses, and my son in front of me who is now 20 :shock:

What was Teddy Sherringham doing in the Bridge....black tshirt.
This user liked this post: J50

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:06 pm

13 years ago?? Ho has that gone so fast

Like many I never met him but the posts he made, made you feel like you did.

The posts between himself and the other posters like jdrobbo, reb & the others, really did make it feel like you was down the pub and it was fitting that the board was renamed in his honour

MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Post by MRG » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:16 pm

13 years? Where the hell has that gone. I have been a member of the board (including the previous one) under various guises since 2002. Time just flies by. There’s some real characters come and gone over those years

Goddy
Been Liked: 189 times
Has Liked: 689 times

Post by Goddy » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:06 pm

MRG wrote:13 years? Where the hell has that gone. I have been a member of the board (including the previous one) under various guises since 2002. Time just flies by. There’s some real characters come and gone over those years
Reminded me whatever happened to the likes of Distortiondave and Firmo. I was just reading 'Stan The Man' the other day and lots of Firmo references in that, too.....

As for Eli, I never had the pleasure but from all the reminders of his old posts/comments and warmth towards him from posters, I really wish I had......

ClaretCliff
Been Liked: 187 times
Has Liked: 135 times

Post by ClaretCliff » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:18 pm

Well we can't have an Eli thread without a mention of his classic "Postcards from t'Egypt". I still smile whenever I think of BurnleyBabe's first postcard when she went to Manchester Airport to fly to Egypt. She was supposedly confused whether to go to Departures or Arrivals - and plumped for Arrivals as they had just arrived at the airport. Brilliant.

I remember seeing him umpiring at Bentgate, and must have seen him previously playing there. Also seem to remember him from school in Haslingden. Didn't realise he was Eli until I spoke to him in the Bridge.

A lovely man.
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:33 pm

Brilliant Cliff, I'd forgotten the arrivals one.

Eli thought he was safe posting about burnleybabe while she was in Eeeejipt but her daughter went on the internet out there and saw it all. He did a similarly fantastic thread in 2006 when we went to the pre-season in Italy. If only I'd kept them.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6716 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:56 pm

Can't believe it is thirteen years. His postcard threads were brilliant.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:06 pm

I remember a devastated CT making a point of telling me we had lost Eli, at Luton v Burnley.

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:18 pm

He was a class act all round. The patented lists are now a valuable addition on this site.

Wembley09
Been Liked: 75 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by Wembley09 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:21 pm

I'd only been posting on ClaretsMad for about a year and halft back then, but I remember his posts and the shock of his loss at the time.
Respect to Tony and others for keeping his memory alive.

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:33 pm

Sadly today sussex clarets have cremated one of their original members. Jim Baker god rest your soul.
A remarkable man who had nothing but a love of his family, his motorbikes, his service to the police force and Burnley football club.
I first met this true claret in our first season in the premier league when I set up a supporters group to help us exiles get to games with company and convient meeting points.
Jim was the life and soul of the party with a pint or two in his hands.
Thankfully I was able to say goodbye today. He will never be forgotten.
RIP Jim, legend, gentleman and a claret

Got to say claret and blue ties were the order of the day.
These 2 users liked this post: Wembley09 IanMcL

Wembley09
Been Liked: 75 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by Wembley09 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:39 pm

dpinsussex wrote:Sadly today sussex clarets have cremated one of their original members. Jim Baker god rest your soul.
A remarkable man who had nothing but a love of his family, his motorbikes, his service to the police force and Burnley football club.
I first met this true claret in our first season in the premier league when I set up a supporters group to help us exiles get to games with company and convient meeting points.
Jim was the life and soul of the party with a pint or two in his hands.
Thankfully I was able to say goodbye today. He will never be forgotten.
RIP Jim, legend, gentleman and a claret

Got to say claret and blue ties were the order of the day.
RIP fellow Claret

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:46 am

Thanks everyone for the comments yesterday. Shows how much he’s still missed.

gsyclaret
Been Liked: 163 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by gsyclaret » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:15 pm

Steve1956 wrote:What was Teddy Sherringham doing in the Bridge....black tshirt.
That's my nephew Lee , I am 4th from the left.

Herts Clarets

Post by Herts Clarets » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:17 pm

DP EVANS.png
DP EVANS.png (864.47 KiB) Viewed 3563 times
DP EVANS 2.jpg
DP EVANS 2.jpg (81.93 KiB) Viewed 3563 times
2 faces that you may recognize....

ClaretTony