ARTICLE: Seven years and up there with the great Harry Potts

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32239 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

ARTICLE: Seven years and up there with the great Harry Potts

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:04 am

Just a few words on our manager's seventh anniversary - and for those who know me, they will understand how highly I rate him given I can compare him to Harry Potts.

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/seven-years ... arry-potts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These 7 users liked this post: clansman wilks_bfc longsidepies Burnleyareback2 IanMcL Suratclaret KateR

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1156 times
Has Liked: 1282 times

Re: ARTICLE: Seven years and up there with the great Harry Potts

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:37 pm

Really good tribute. Agree with the comparison to Potts which is high praise indeed.

Funny how Kevin Long was sub for his first game in charge and still is. :D

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:54 pm

when Vokes had to do a striptease for Kieran Trippier

Wonder if this is this the lapdance that is often referred to when talking of the punishment wheel they have

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:00 pm

Great article and great manager. The only thing that worries me is the quote from Mee saying 'he wanted to rub off on the lads'. Mee isn't too good with words is he?
Seriously when we signed him as manager I (probably along with many others) said 'who?' I wondered what the club were playing at after we had just lost Howe (another great manager). I think a lot of people laughed (out of disbelief), but as Piers Morgan said after watching Subo 'they're not laughing now'.
I think with all the money in football now and the big clubs just getting bigger and richer, with all the stupidly wealthy owners and the lion's share of TV money going their way Burnley, and clubs like us (is there actually anybody quite like us?), are bucking the trend. For our size we are, from our perspective, going through a golden era similar to City. Not literally of course but it would be interesting to see what Gladiola could do with our funds.
I criticised Dyche last season (mainly for his attitude to Europe, which I still don't agree with) but in the end I wouldn't want anyone else in charge of our club. He just needs to change his thinking on cup competitions. ;)
This user liked this post: Marty Dobson

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1273 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:41 pm

That's quite a claim there in the title of the article.

Seven years and, on the whole, seven successful years means I have every respect for the work done by Sean Dyche here. Most importantly the BoD will be more than satisfied with his contribution over those years, financially he has delivered everything and more the Board can have hoped for and expected.

However, to compare Dyche's achievements to those of Harry Potts is way over the top, not only in terms of levels of success but also in the manner and style in which those successes were achieved. Praise Dyche by all means, but let's keep that praise in proportion. If we really have to rank our managers, and its not something I'm keen on doing, I'd have Sean Dyche some considerable way behind John Haworth and even further behind Harry Potts.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:48 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:However, to compare Dyche's achievements to those of Harry Potts is way over the top.
No one holds Potts in higher esteem than I do. You might think it is way over the top, I'd suggest anything but over the top.
These 4 users liked this post: Cirrus_Minor Rowls Hibsclaret Lonsdaleclarets

Royboyclaret

Post by Royboyclaret » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:53 pm

ClaretTony wrote:No one holds Potts in higher esteem than I do. You might think it is way over the top, I'd suggest anything but over the top.
And, of course, that's fine. It's your opinion, but it's certainly not mine.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:09 pm

You didn't say it was your opinion, you said my headline was way over the top.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:12 pm

houseboy wrote:Seriously when we signed him as manager I (probably along with many others) said 'who?'
We had him on our list of possibles and a lot of that was based on the praise he was receiving from the Watford fans during the previous season. He'd done a remarkable job there with precious little money around. He's still a very popular visitor at Vicarage Road.

bodge
Been Liked: 725 times
Has Liked: 474 times

Post by bodge » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:16 pm

An astonishing 7 years, he's achieved things no Claret dreamt of when he was appointed, the club has been transformed.

In terms of Potts, no one can argue with his record but the disparity in budget that SD has had to contend with compared to those we are fighting against puts him right up there for me surely as one of Burnley's greatest managers.

Royboyclaret

Post by Royboyclaret » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:17 pm

ClaretTony wrote:You didn't say it was your opinion, you said my headline was way over the top.
I did say your headline was way over the top, and I'm more than happy to stand by that statement. The success that Potts brought to the club, and more importantly the style in which he did it, is several levels above anything that Sean Dyche has achieved thus far.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:22 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:I did say your headline was way over the top, and I'm more than happy to stand by that statement. The success that Potts brought to the club, and more importantly the style in which he did it, is several levels above anything that Sean Dyche has achieved thus far.
Fine, but it is impossible now for any manager to achieve for Burnley what Potts did and remember, we were on our way down to the third division with him as manager in 1979. Harry brought glory to our town and club by managing the title winning side. It was bloody difficult then for a club like ours to win the league but it is downright impossible now.

Whatever expectations there were when Dyche walked in, he's exceeded them by a ridiculous amount and should be considered up there with our greatest ever managers. John Haworth, of course, carried out a different kind of role altogether. He had previously been the secretary of Accrington Stanley and his role at Burnley would have been similar in many respects.

But if it is the headline you are objecting to then maybe you haven't read the article and why I've linked them.
This user liked this post: Burnleyareback2

Royboyclaret

Post by Royboyclaret » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:38 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Fine, but it is impossible now for any manager to achieve for Burnley what Potts did and remember, we were on our way down to the third division with him as manager in 1979. Harry brought glory to our town and club by managing the title winning side. It was bloody difficult then for a club like ours to win the league but it is downright impossible now.

Whatever expectations there were when Dyche walked in, he's exceeded them by a ridiculous amount and should be considered up there with our greatest ever managers. John Haworth, of course, carried out a different kind of role altogether. He had previously been the secretary of Accrington Stanley and his role at Burnley would have been similar in many respects.

But if it is the headline you are objecting to then maybe you haven't read the article and why I've linked them.
Of course I've read the article and repeat that I've every respect for what Dyche has achieved here, thus far.

John Haworth, as manager not secretary, masterminded the FA Cup win, the First Division league championship and brought players to the Club like Tommy Boyle, Bert Freeman and Bob Kelly who were some of the most talented players of that era.

Harry Potts' achievements at Burnley over many years have been well documented on here and need no repeating.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:40 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:Of course I've read the article and repeat that I've every respect for what Dyche has achieved here, thus far.

John Haworth, as manager not secretary, masterminded the FA Cup win, the First Division league championship and brought players to the Club like Tommy Boyle, Bert Freeman and Bob Kelly who were some of the most talented players of that era.

Harry Potts' achievements at Burnley over many years have been well documented on here and need no repeating.
I'm fully aware Harry's achievements are well documented, and by myself too. Nobody thinks more highly of Harry than I do. But surely you can see that it is now impossible to achieve what Harry did at a club like ours and his record is absolutely incredible while you have taken the headline out of context.

John Haworth was also secretary of the club, that's what the job was then.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:45 pm

Nothing is impossible.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:48 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:Nothing is impossible.
It's not - but I'd say that it is very, very unlikely to win the league with Burnley in today's football.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:49 pm

It is but a pipedream, however pipedreams keep me coming to the turf, it's all a bit pointless otherwise. The premier league was once a pipedream.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:51 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:It is but a pipedream, however pipedreams keep me coming to the turf, it's all a bit pointless otherwise. The premier league was once a pipedream.
You are spot on, you have to dream. That's what I've been doing for much of the last seven years to be honest. It's been incredible.
This user liked this post: gandhisflipflop

Goodclaret
Been Liked: 543 times
Has Liked: 1506 times

Post by Goodclaret » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:52 pm

I've only supported Burnley for 32 years so Dyche is the one and only for me. What a manager he is. What a person he is. What he has done for us is just amazing and when people have tried to think we can do better I really do despair. I really hope he is with us for many, many more years.
These 3 users liked this post: Burnleyareback2 ClaretTony tim_noone

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:12 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:Of course I've read the article and repeat that I've every respect for what Dyche has achieved here, thus far.

I think we should Live in the moment.. Potts Had is day and did well.No nothing whatsoever about John Haworth.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:17 pm

'Having said that, the very same fan was wanting his departure two years earlier, suggesting that it was time the club moved forward and appointed a foreign manager'

A Yorkshireman? Get real! :D

I also think Mr Dyche has been fantastic for Burnley beyond the possible. Several miracles and 7 years on, we still hold him in the greatest esteem.

Many on here will know that I was no fan of Eddie Hout as a Burnley manager. Mr Potts gave a very young IanMcL a tour of Turf Moor, on my first ever visit, whilst returning from a Scottish holiday, with my parents, so I hold him up as Mr Burnley. Mr Dyche strikes me as a man who would do the same, when confronted by a star in the eyes young visitor.

I am proud to be part of Sean Dyche's Claret and Blue army.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:34 pm

Bring back a maximum wage, which we can meet, and i’d back Dyche to make us champions.
These 2 users liked this post: houseboy dsr

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:07 pm

The game is so different now that it is hard to compare just like with great players. However, what Dyche has done at Burnley is bordering on genius imo. The season before last we were in the top 4 at around Christmas (can’t remember exactly) and we went to Arsenal at the end of the season with a faint chance of finishing a league campaign above them...in modern football for a small town club that is something I was pinching myself about at the time, almost dreamlike in fact.

I’d say a comparison between Dyche and Harry is excellent and you could put a sheet of paper between them tbh.

As for not taking Europe seriously, do me a favour.....

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 787 times

Post by Suratclaret » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:33 am

Have to agree that the comparison of Potts and Dyche is perfectly reasonable despite all the changes that have taken place within football...and in society for that matter.
I'm not as old as Royboyclaret and don't remember John Haworth so I can't really compare him with the other two. What Harry Potts achieved was amazing although, of course, it was a much more level playing field then compared to today. Like Dyche, Potts cultivated a close and strong team ethic with a relatively small squad and it has to be remembered that there were no substitutions either tactical or because of injuries unlike today. Potts made Burnley into one of the countries best teams over several seasons.
Dyche also places great emphasis on a strong team ethic and is managing a team in an era where television money from home and abroad dominates the game and where transfer fees have reached ridiculous levels. He has produced a team cable of competing in the Premier League on a budget smaller than some clubs in lower divisions.
Both managers by their actions recognized the need for stability at the club and that paid dividends for Potts and is doing so for the present manager.
Whatever the future of our great club, both these managers deserve all the accolades they have received.
My only regret is that when Potts was manager, I lived only a short distance from the turf where as now I'm several thousand miles away!

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:28 am

Roy being Roy again zzzzzz

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:45 am

The alternatives to Dyche 7 year ago still make me shudder

ecc
Been Liked: 1394 times
Has Liked: 1272 times

Post by ecc » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:01 am

I think we'll only fully realise what SD has done for us once he's gone.
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretTony Silkyskills1

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:10 am

Local cricketer wrote:The alternatives to Dyche 7 year ago still make me shudder
Shudder is one thing but you only have to review the list to realise we really did find the golden ticket on that one...absolutely chalk and cheese with the rest of the list and that’s before you consider ones that weren’t on the list that most would have preferred to Sean...

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:14 am

I wondered what we were doing at the time and we seemed to be interviewing far too many candidates. But we got it absolutely right.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:16 am

Hibsclaret wrote:The game is so different now that it is hard to compare just like with great players. However, what Dyche has done at Burnley is bordering on genius imo. The season before last we were in the top 4 at around Christmas (can’t remember exactly) and we went to Arsenal at the end of the season with a faint chance of finishing a league campaign above them...in modern football for a small town club that is something I was pinching myself about at the time, almost dreamlike in fact.

I’d say a comparison between Dyche and Harry is excellent and you could put a sheet of paper between them tbh.

As for not taking Europe seriously, do me a favour.....
Hey Hibs I thought this was a great post but the last line let's it down a bit. He didn't take it seriously, never in a million years. You don't go into a European game minus two thirds of the team that got you into it if you're taking it seriously. I still think the disillusion of the players left out of those games was partly the cause of our bad start to the season, I really do. Dyche is a genius manager and long may he reign at the Turf but we all KNOW for certain he doesn't like cups.
This user liked this post: Bop

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:20 am

ecc wrote:I think we'll only fully realise what SD has done for us once he's gone.
I'm not sure about that bud. I think we all know what he has done, and when he does leave he will leave a legacy that may well see the next manager carry it on, who knows? We seem to be generally pretty good at getting the right man for the job (Laws excepted) so who knows where the next man might take us? Hopefully though we won't need to find out for a long time yet.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:57 pm

houseboy wrote:Hey Hibs I thought this was a great post but the last line let's it down a bit. He didn't take it seriously, never in a million years. You don't go into a European game minus two thirds of the team that got you into it if you're taking it seriously. I still think the disillusion of the players left out of those games was partly the cause of our bad start to the season, I really do. Dyche is a genius manager and long may he reign at the Turf but we all KNOW for certain he doesn't like cups.
Don’t agree sorry.

You need to factor in that players were in pre season earlier than usual, he had the odd major injury (I.e Pope) to contend with whilst getting all the squad fit. If you want to see how a bigger squad coped look at Wolves in the first few games of the season. You then factor in all the travelling etc. and we still deserved to get to the group stage. So yes he did take it seriously....

Whether he is as bothered with the other cups you may have more of a point but we gave Europe a good shot...
This user liked this post: houseboy

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:51 pm

To think we also interviewed Paul Ince. There's an alternative universe I do not want to see.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:33 pm

Potts v Dyche
1) Potts managed at a time when wages were the same at most clubs until 1961
2) Our youth policy was one of the first so we could attract lots of young promising players -the youth policy when Sean arrived was apparently bobbins
3) The playing field was far less tilted than now
4) Potts took over an established First Division club with a state of the art training ground v Sean took over a mediocre Championship club with a dilapidated training ground and made us thus far a Premier league outfit and rejuvenated our training ground
The big difference then and now is 3) making Sean's achievements superior but I agree that Potts' team entertained far more, although perhaps his failure to use some of our reserves in March/April 62 cost us the league

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 666 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:45 pm

At some point i think the club will put a statue of Dyche outside the ground like Newcastle have done with Bobby Robson. He is that good

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:41 am

His band his lyrics.....

Shake me into the night
And I'm an easy lover
Take me into the fight
And I'm an easy brother
And I'm on fire

(Yes, he's on fire 8-) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nteNxQEV4U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:29 am

I think it's nigh on impossible to compare for all the reasons set out above. If we had to sum up I think it would simply be that it is harder now for Sean than it ever was for Harry but you can't take away from Harry that the team under him punched so much above their weight it was amazing. Unless the situation with money changes in football (and hopefully eventually sense will prevail) Sean will never achieve what Harry achieved because it is virtually impossible, he's attempting to strike a match on jelly, but in some ways he has done better because what he has done is turn us into an established PL club at a time when all the cards are against us. I'd like to see a statue of them both outside the ground - shaking hands and gently smiling.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:38 am

I mentioned on a different thread last week that those 'heady' days of the 60's as a schoolboy watching the Clarets roll over all comers is something I will always cherish. My son and daughter have experienced the ' Dyche years' with the same relish. Of course they only hear from me( regularly) how good those 'Potts days' were but as so many have mentioned already it is totally unfair to draw comparisons for the obvious reasons. I have to admit that at the end of his first season all three of us had doubts about Sean Dyche; the last three /four months were dire at times. A point at home to Bolton on the first day of his first full season was gratefully accepted by me but then the season progressed and it dawned on us,certainly by Xmas time, that mediocrity wasn't going to be enough for this man and of course the rest is history. It will never be perfect here; is there anywhere it is? Seven years of Sean Dyche,though, has been perfectly acceptable and both my children and myself can agree on that one.