Derby sack Richard Keogh

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1979 times

Re: Derby sack Richard Keogh

Post by Tricky Trevor » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:06 pm

Wembley09 wrote:
Lawrence, 25, Bennett, 23, and Keogh, 33 — a backseat passenger in the former's car who suffered a career-threatening knee injury in the collision — were returning home from a heavy drinking session that followed a day of bowling and a team-bonding dinner.

As I said higher up. In court neither of them were even twice the legal limit. So I’d suggest the “heavy drinking session” and the vomiting might be exagerrations.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:09 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:As I said higher up. In court neither of them were even twice the legal limit. So I’d suggest the “heavy drinking session” and the vomiting might be exagerrations.
The vomitting was filmed and all over twitter and snapchat from Huddlestons official account

Wembley09
Been Liked: 75 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by Wembley09 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:10 pm

The vomiting was filmed like said above, I watched it the day after.

Mason Bennett was being sick in the toilet at the same pub he later drove from.

Wembley09
Been Liked: 75 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by Wembley09 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:13 pm

This is what Tom Huddlestone posted that night to his twitter (this was before the accident)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFK-DnJLebs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:28 pm

Hes 33 career over 15months out injured
The other 2 are youngsters and worth money thats why they didnt get sacked

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 944 times

Post by jdrobbo » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:37 pm

A free agent in time for Halloween...
This user liked this post: Lord Beamish

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Nonayforever » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:48 pm

Wembley09 wrote:
Lawrence, 25, Bennett, 23, and Keogh, 33 — a backseat passenger in the former's car who suffered a career-threatening knee injury in the collision — were returning home from a heavy drinking session that followed a day of bowling and a team-bonding dinner.
In clips uploaded on the Snapchat account of 32-year-old midfielder Tom Huddlestone — who will replace Keogh as Derby skipper — Bennett had been filmed downing drinks in a pub and, in other clips, vomiting in a urinal and insisting 'I've had more than three' pints of Peroni.

Lawrence and Bennett decided to drive home having 'ignored the opportunity to be driven home using cars laid on by the club.'
They were arrested at the scene and charged after the crash involving Lawrence's Range Rover, which was pictured crumpled up after careering into a lamp post, and a Mercedes GLC.

Keogh was left unconscious at the scene in the back of the Range Rover before the emergency services discovered him.
Later the pair (Lawrence and Bennett) appeared back at the scene to check on their teammates wealthfare, fearing they had left him to die.

Striker Mason Bennett, 23, and teammate Tom Lawrence, 25, were both charged with drink driving following the collision.
Keogh had been travelling in Lawrence’s Range Rover when it crashed into the back of Bennett's car before ending up wrapped around a lamppost.
He was later found by emergency crews unconscious, with his teammates later coming back to 'rescue him' after initially both running away from the scene.
The team bonding went well then.
These 2 users liked this post: Middle-agedClaret Wembley09

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:59 pm

Wembley09 wrote::D haha no, his training gear etc. I can't remember who it was who said it, sure it was Tom Huddlestone.. as not all players left with the transport the club had providided.. but the others didn't drink drive home either.

Found this from an article of the night with a quick google search:

In clips uploaded on the Snapchat account of 32-year-old midfielder Tom Huddlestone — who will replace Keogh as Derby skipper — Bennett had been filmed downing drinks in a pub and, in other clips, vomiting in a urinal and insisting 'I've had more than three' pints of Peroni.

Lawrence and Bennett decided to drive home having 'ignored the opportunity to be driven home using cars laid on by the club.'
They were arrested at the scene and charged after the crash involving Lawrence's Range Rover, which was pictured crumpled up after careering into a lamp post, and a Mercedes GLC.

Keogh was left unconscious at the scene in the back of the Range Rover before the emergency services discovered him.
Later the pair (Lawrence and Bennett) appeared back at the scene to check on their teammates wealthfare, fearing they had left him to die.

A source said: “Tom came driving really quickly behind him (Mason). He was going so fast he smashed into the back of Mason’s car which span and flipped round.
"Tom’s car then carried on and crashed into a lampost on the other side of the road.
“Richard was in the back of the car which had all of Tom’s stuff in it. So Richard was sat on loads of kit with no room on the back seat and his legs were up and on the side.
"His knees were to the side too. And they smashed into the car. He’s f***ed himself...he smashed his face up as well."

Striker Mason Bennett, 23, and teammate Tom Lawrence, 25, were both charged with drink driving following the collision.
Keogh had been travelling in Lawrence’s Range Rover when it crashed into the back of Bennett's car before ending up wrapped around a lamppost.
He was later found by emergency crews unconscious, with his teammates later coming back to 'rescue him' after initially both running away from the scene.
It was Bradley Johnstone who all that came from. He had a phone conversation taped explaining the incident
This user liked this post: Wembley09

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:09 pm

The other two passengers were Marriott and Waghorn

RogerBest
Been Liked: 107 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by RogerBest » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:22 am

I would think all three are in breach of contract.

Richard Keogh can no longer perform the services he is contractually obliged to, through his own recklessness, so there is no point in retaining him.

The other two still can so Derby have chosen to retain them.

I think this sounds quite reasonable.

the_fat_shearer
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by the_fat_shearer » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:33 am

To be honest, they all deserve sacking but I would be surprised if Keogh didnt try to sue them for wrongful dismissal due to discrimination.

As others have said, they are sacking him because of his age and injury. Sure, he probably deserves to be sacked and is in breach of contract but when they keep the other two on who are younger and not injured, it's clear discrimination. Yes he was injured due to his stupidity but you could argue that the other players who were driving were more responsible for his injury.

Like i said, they all deserve sacking but we all know that the footballing world is, unfortunately, different.

lesxdp
Been Liked: 112 times
Has Liked: 1662 times

Post by lesxdp » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:02 am

Bennett and Lawrence were fined six weeks' wages by the club and were ordered to carry out 180 hours of unpaid work, given a 12-month community order and banned from driving for two years by Derby magistrates' court.

"As we have said from the outset, the club will not tolerate any of its players or staff behaving in a manner which puts themselves, their colleagues, and members of the general public at risk of injury or worse, or which brings the club into disrepute," they said.

These two statements copied from BBC Sport page show what I would say is the unfairness of the punishment from Derby. Loss of earnings for six weeks or total loss of earnings!! Clearly some bias in the decision making

Danieljwaterhouse
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 350 times

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:13 am

thatdberight wrote:He will be under an obligation in his contract not to behave recklessly in a way that could endanger his ability to play. He didn't fulfil that obligation. He could probably have been sacked then. Derby offered a compromise. He turned it down. Derby did what any reasonable employer would do.

The other two were lucky and didn't end up unable to play so Derby could only fine them under the usual scale of fines.
This is the answer to the question.

Danieljwaterhouse
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 350 times

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:17 am

the_fat_shearer wrote:To be honest, they all deserve sacking but I would be surprised if Keogh didnt try to sue them for wrongful dismissal due to discrimination.

As others have said, they are sacking him because of his age and injury. Sure, he probably deserves to be sacked and is in breach of contract but when they keep the other two on who are younger and not injured, it's clear discrimination. Yes he was injured due to his stupidity but you could argue that the other players who were driving were more responsible for his injury.

Like i said, they all deserve sacking but we all know that the footballing world is, unfortunately, different.
His age isn’t a factor. By the time he’s able to play again his contract has run out. The only way he could argue a protected characteristic (age) is if the club and his representatives had started conversations about a new contract Prior to the incident. Unless Derby’s legal advice are also drunk I am sure the capped payouts at a tribunal will be the cheapest way out. He’s clearly in breach of contract. The other two players are able to fulfil their contracts and are saleable assets to the company. I’d still expect both to be moved on in the summer.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:21 am

jdrobbo wrote:A free agent in time for Halloween...
He won’t even need to buy a mask...
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:24 am

Lord Beamish wrote:He won’t even need to buy a mask...
Or gory limbs.

yosserhughes
Been Liked: 36 times
Has Liked: 363 times

Post by yosserhughes » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:43 am

I'm sure that Keogh will be payed loss of earnings through the drivers insurance plus compensation for his injuries suffered in the accident.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2145 times
Has Liked: 3063 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:15 am

ClaretTony wrote:Because they are able to work under the terms of their contract. Not sure how on earth Derby will get away with sacking the one who wasn't driving for gross misconduct though because he wouldn't take a pay cut.
I'd imagine there is an inherent added failure on his part as captain. Whether that role is detailed in his contract and so legally relevant is for more legally-minded people to assess, as no doubt they will at a tribunal

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3845 times
Has Liked: 2066 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:50 am

The other two lads accepted their punishment.

Keogh had the choice to reduce his contract as he wouldn't ever play for them again as a punishment.

He refused, took a gamble on them having to pay out his full contract. He has lost for now.

mikeS
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:25 pm

It’s the Derby Way.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3952 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:38 pm

yosserhughes wrote:I'm sure that Keogh will be payed loss of earnings through the drivers insurance plus compensation for his injuries suffered in the accident.
According to reports wasn't wearing a seat belt, so that may jeopardise any case he has against the driver, though I'm not certain of the legal position here.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:17 pm

I think Wayne Rooney might have something to do with this.
Rumour is he has insisted in his contract that nobody can be slower or have less hair than him - so Keogh has to go.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:21 pm

Haven’t read the full thread but this could have sent out a positive message and show there are morals in football. They won’t get a fee for him and have cut their losses. The two worth a fee have been kept on by them. Money talks again.

GodIsADeeJay81
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:29 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:According to reports wasn't wearing a seat belt, so that may jeopardise any case he has against the driver, though I'm not certain of the legal position here.
It's never stopped people claiming whiplash despite not wearing a seatbelt.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:34 pm

thatdberight wrote:He will be under an obligation in his contract not to behave recklessly in a way that could endanger his ability to play. He didn't fulfil that obligation. He could probably have been sacked then. Derby offered a compromise. He turned it down. Derby did what any reasonable employer would do.

The other two were lucky and didn't end up unable to play so Derby could only fine them under the usual scale of fines.

he was a passenger in a car, regardless of the dumb ass decision to get in the car with Lawrence I'm not sure how that can warrant being sacked for rejecting an adjusted contract. Derby's lawyers obviously think so, it will be interesting to see what happens with this case

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3139 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:37 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:It's never stopped people claiming whiplash despite not wearing a seatbelt.
Isn't it the driver's responsibility to see that all passengers have their seat-belts on?

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6903 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:39 pm

Is it Keogh’s responsibility to know the alcohol levels of his driver?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:55 pm

boatshed bill wrote:Isn't it the driver's responsibility to see that all passengers have their seat-belts on?
Yup, but people can clip the seatbelt in before they sit in the car.....

I've seen numerous accidents where the inside of the windscreen has been cracked by someone's head..

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:03 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Yup, but people can clip the seatbelt in before they sit in the car.....

I've seen numerous accidents where the inside of the windscreen has been cracked by someone's head..
I've just checked, it seems that it would be the passenger's responsibility to use the belt.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:08 pm

boatshed bill wrote:I've just checked, it seems that it would be the passenger's responsibility to use the belt.
So going back to the post I made, it seems that Keogh may have a problem making a claim for injuries against the driver's insurance.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:17 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:So going back to the post I made, it seems that Keogh may have a problem making a claim for injuries against the driver's insurance.
Quite possibly.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:32 pm

Rileybobs wrote:Is it Keogh’s responsibility to know the alcohol levels of his driver?
https://www.slatergordon.co.uk/media-ce ... k-drivers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If he's going to claim on the drivers insurance for injuries sustained then he could face a reduction in the amount if he knowingly got into a car with a drunk driver.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:32 pm

boatshed bill wrote:Quite possibly.
Good. Three millionaires play out their privileged position by acting illegally, dangerously and anti-socially to the potential danger of uninvolved bystanders. Any negative outcome for them, including the hardly life-changing loss of contract for Keogh are entirely of their own making.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:19 pm

thatdberight wrote:Good. Three millionaires play out their privileged position by acting illegally, dangerously and anti-socially to the potential danger of uninvolved bystanders. Any negative outcome for them, including the hardly life-changing loss of contract for Keogh are entirely of their own making.
I agree entirely, but the legal and moral basis for terminating Keogh's contract whilst merely giving their younger "assets" a slap on the wrist is highly dubious.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:26 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:I agree entirely, but the legal and moral basis for terminating Keogh's contract whilst merely giving their younger "assets" a slap on the wrist is highly dubious.
Perhaps. We'll see. I've certainly seen employees treated differently for the same disciplinary offence because the impact and outcome were different and that was OK.

levraiclaret
Been Liked: 428 times
Has Liked: 1460 times

Post by levraiclaret » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:38 pm

Is it normal for someone to be on full pay for 9 months whilst they are unable to perform their duties due to illness or injury? The most I have seen is 3 months.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:55 pm

levraiclaret wrote:Is it normal for someone to be on full pay for 9 months whilst they are unable to perform their duties due to illness or injury? The most I have seen is 3 months.
For footballers, yes it is. Usually they're work-related injuries though.

There might be a case though if an injury or illness is the result of extracurricular negligence, but my understanding is that he wasn't the driver so how negligent could he have really been?

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1979 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:23 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:According to reports wasn't wearing a seat belt, so that may jeopardise any case he has against the driver, though I'm not certain of the legal position here.
According to earlier reports he was sat on top of a car full of Lawrences gear. He might have been unable to fasten the seat belt.
Not a defence just pointing it out.

Lord Beamish
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:03 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:According to earlier reports he was sat on top of a car full of Lawrences gear. He might have been unable to fasten the seat belt.
Not a defence just pointing it out.
He was sat on the roof?

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:40 am

The Times, Friday 1-Nov:

Derby County sacked captain Richard Keogh as he did not wear seatbelt

Richard Keogh was sacked by Derby County for not wearing a seatbelt in a car accident that led to the arrest of two of his team-mates.

The Times has learnt of the specific details surrounding the sudden termination of the long-serving Derby’s captain’s contract after he was seriously injured in the crash in September.

Derby have not dismissed Tom Lawrence and Mason Bennett despite both players pleading guilty to drink-driving in the wake of an accident that left Keogh with a serious knee injury.

The 33-year-old is expected to be on the sidelines for 15 months and the circumstances that have led to a decision that has been condemned by other players have now emerged.

Keogh was sacked after refusing to accept a pay cut from £29,000 a week to £3,000 a week while he was out injured. Derby detailed a number of reasons why he was guilty of “gross misconduct” to explain the sacking of the central defender, who was made club captain the day after he signed from Coventry City in 2012.

Among them, The Times has been told, was his failure to wear a seatbelt to ensure his safety in a moving vehicle.

Derby have said that he has 14 days to appeal against the decision and Keogh, with the assistance of his advisers, is now consulting an employment lawyer. Sources close to the player claim that he is stunned by the club’s refusal to pay for his medical rehabilitation.

The same sources also claim that he has been a loyal servant to Derby, having never previously had any disciplinary problems with the Sky Bet Championship club. Derby stand to save about £2.5 million by sacking Keogh, who made 356 appearances for the club, as he has the remainder of this season and next on his contract.

Keogh, who has won 26 caps for Ireland, was left unconscious after Lawrence crashed into a lamppost on the A6 near Allestree, Derby, on September 24 after a team dinner.

Lawrence and Bennett both later pleaded guilty to drink-driving, but escaped with club fines of six weeks’ wages — in addition to Derby magistrates’ court ordering the players to carry out 180 hours of unpaid work, giving them a 12-month community order and banning them from driving for two years.

In a statement Derby said that they had “completed the disciplinary hearing regarding Richard Keogh in respect of his involvement in the events of Tuesday, 24 September” and that his contract had been “terminated with immediate effect”.

“As we have said from the outset, the club will not tolerate any of its players or staff behaving in a manner which puts themselves, their colleagues, and members of the general public at risk of injury or worse, or which brings the club into disrepute,” Derby said.

The treatment of Keogh has shocked some fellow professionals. Jeff Hendrick, the Burnley midfielder, and Harry Arter — who both played alongside Keogh for Ireland — have spoken out in his defence.

Arter, the midfielder on loan at Fulham from Bournemouth, tweeted: “So the one left unconscious in the car and not arrested gets sacked.”

Hendrick, who played with Keogh at Derby for four years, retweeted Arter’s post and said: “Agree. Talk about kicking a man (the captain) while he is down instead of helping him through this physically and mentally tough time.”

The club are also waiting to hear whether it will face disciplinary action from the Football League if it is deemed they have breached financial regulations.

Derby are among a number of clubs who have been accused by rivals of exploiting a loophole in the rules that has allowed them to buy their stadium to make themselves compliant.

The Football League have ordered an independent valuation of the club’s Pride Park Stadium.

Derby have consistently denied breaching any regulations.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:48 am

Harry Arter standing up for him. Like Trump weighing in for Boris, it's exactly the endorsement you don't need.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:59 am

thatdberight wrote:Harry Arter standing up for him. Like Trump weighing in for Boris, it's exactly the endorsement you don't need.
Its wage cut from £29,000 per week to £3,000 per week that is an eye opener.

Maybe footballers do have clauses in their contracts requiring them not to do things - away from the game - that could result in them being unfit to play. So, maybe no footballers heading to the ski slopes when they don't have a game.... Maybe it also applies to not wearing seat belts when travelling in a car. Of course, it may be that it's how their club, their employer, interprets gross misconduct.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:18 pm

Forcing him to struggle along on 12 grand a month.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:19 pm

Paul Waine wrote:Its wage cut from £29,000 per week to £3,000 per week that is an eye opener.

Maybe footballers do have clauses in their contracts requiring them not to do things - away from the game - that could result in them being unfit to play. So, maybe no footballers heading to the ski slopes when they don't have a game.... Maybe it also applies to not wearing seat belts when travelling in a car. Of course, it may be that it's how their club, their employer, interprets gross misconduct.
Footballers can be banned from doing certain things by their clubs/contracts.

Carlo Cudicini wasn't allowed to ride Motorbikes.
He chose to ignore that and ultimately had an accident on a motorbike when at Spurs.