Petrol or diesel

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Re: Petrol or diesel

Post by IanMcL » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:02 pm

dsr wrote:Fast charging will certainly happen - either battery changing or by new charging systems, who knows. But charging will have to speed up (and prices come down) if electric cars are to compete with petrol.
My council and others, provide free chargers. Asda and Waitrose too. McDonalds in Burnley. Not fast but useful.
My super charging is free too, so my trips to Burnley, with imposed breaks for charging, are safe and free.
No service like other cars. No car tax at present. Might even get bus lane use, I hear! Large initial outlay but enjoying every minute.
This user liked this post: Taffy on the wing

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1030 times
Has Liked: 3187 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:43 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Sounds good. The bastards were ringing the bell singing Halloween songs while baby was in bed last night.
Just leave it running for half an hour, warm it up like.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:22 pm

Taffy on the wing wrote:Just leave it running for half an hour, warm it up like.
I will time it with their ecig smoking.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2632 times
Has Liked: 6443 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:42 pm

IanMcL wrote:My council and others, provide free chargers. Asda and Waitrose too. McDonalds in Burnley. Not fast but useful.
My super charging is free too, so my trips to Burnley, with imposed breaks for charging, are safe and free.
No service like other cars. No car tax at present. Might even get bus lane use, I hear! Large initial outlay but enjoying every minute.
I wish I had the initial outlay to get myself a Tesla car and then Powerwall with solar panels but it is just so prohibitively high at the moment so my 75mpg diesel Civic is what I drive

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 777 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:46 pm

IanMcL wrote:My council and others, provide free chargers. Asda and Waitrose too. McDonalds in Burnley. Not fast but useful.
Enjoy it whilst its free as it won't last

chorleyhere
Been Liked: 206 times
Has Liked: 257 times

Post by chorleyhere » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:18 pm

For those just wanting to try out an EV get a second hand one with a 5 year battery guarantee. As with ALL vehicles it's the buyer from new that takes the real hit on depreciation. However some some EVs are fetching almost new prices second hand (KIA eNIRO)

chipbutty
Been Liked: 134 times
Has Liked: 132 times

Post by chipbutty » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:51 pm

Caballo wrote:I've recent experience with a C-class merc estate which driven spiritedly returned 68mpg over 40k miles. Non plug in mild hybrid.
My wife has a Honda Civic Sport Diesel. 1.6 I think. It easily does 60 plus MPG on decent journeys and averages around 58 on all journeys including crappy school run type visits.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:34 am

Wokingclaret wrote:Enjoy it whilst its free as it won't last
I have an older vehicle, so lifetime free. That's why I sank my funds last year.

I was getting a bit 'noddy' during those long 50mph zones on the M6 and wondered how long I could keep coming. The adaptive cruise and autopilot keeps me safe and apt less tired.

I get enforced breaks (like now) too!

Sat charging in Northampton. Had to pick the boss up! Ha!

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:35 am

chipbutty wrote:My wife has a Honda Civic Sport Diesel. 1.6 I think. It easily does 60 plus MPG on decent journeys and averages around 58 on all journeys including crappy school run type visits.
It is a huge outlay, I agree. Less on the Tesla Model 3 now.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:08 pm

So looks like Bristol will be banning diesel even though a modern diesel car is cleaner and more efficient than petrol...

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/empoweri ... spartanntp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8485 times
Has Liked: 18204 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:13 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:As per title looking for advice on next car purchase which to opt for.

Always had diesel. And thought next purchase would be cut and dry. But had mixed feedback on cost of diesel now and in future. Cost of petrol coming down. Future diesel taxes. And resale value of vehicle etc.

Do a lot of miles, and a lot of motorway driving. So diesel SEEMS most logical. But been suggested might not be as cut and dried as it always has been. Thanks in advance...

Don't want electric. or Hybrid.
Before dissing Electric contact IanMcL... He is coping with high mileages by planning ......

We have both petrol and deisel ...

2018 1.2 Citroen C3 auto petrol (ave 40mpg)
&
2016 3.0 Jag XFS auto diesel (ave 40mpg)

The diesel uses "adblue" so currently meets emmissions for most places...

I am still fancying an Electric vehicle ... but think it will be a few years yet... letting the infrastructure grow... but most of our driving is under 40 mile radius so it might be sooner rather than later.
Last edited by Bosscat on Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:14 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:So looks like Bristol will be banning diesel even though a modern diesel car is cleaner and more efficient than petrol...

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/empoweri ... spartanntp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Diesels are only cleaner and more efficient if used on regular long journeys.
Short driving isn't any good for a new diesel engine and will often make it inefficient and more harmful gasses will appear from the back of it.
DPF's aren't really designed for shorter journeys, with more stop starts etc.

Banning them in cities is a good idea really, because the average motorist doesn't have the first idea of what's required to keep their diesel running efficiently.

The average motorist still thinks 10w/40 engine oil is suitable for a modern engine but it hasn't been the primary option for 20 years or so now.
The same motorists also think every garage is out to rip them off and want the cheapest, crappiest filters fitted which will also result in their car being inefficient.

Far to many garages are also guilty of fitting the cheapest filters they can to maximize profits but it's also having an effect on the environment doing that.

Caballo
Been Liked: 421 times
Has Liked: 433 times

Post by Caballo » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:30 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:So looks like Bristol will be banning diesel even though a modern diesel car is cleaner and more efficient than petrol...

Sometimes it's better to be seen to be acting, than actually achieving.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:09 pm

Caballo wrote:Sometimes it's better to be seen to be acting, than actually achieving.
It's a start. When has the first step of a journey ever achieved something on its own?

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2632 times
Has Liked: 6443 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:18 pm

Only banning private cars, not the buses though which is a surprise as the last time I drove though Bristol the bus I followed was belching clouds of fumes as it was going along. Would be good to see councils across the country leading by example and moving onto clean energy for public transport.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1640 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:25 pm

Bosscat wrote: I am still fancying an Electric vehicle ... but think it will be a few years yet... letting the infrastructure grow... but most of our driving is under 40 mile radius so it might be sooner rather than later.
I did the maths on the Tesla and was shocked.

On an average mileage a £40,000 Tesla will save over £2,000 annually at the pumps. Factor in lack of brake wear due to the engine doing much of the braking, and the reduced servicing needs, the car will be cheaper than a petrol or diesel equivalent if kept for a few years or more. As a company car with the zero emissions tax benefits it is superb because it saves 20% in corporation tax all in year 1 and it adds only a little tax for the driver.

I was a bit sceptical before the testdrive with just an Ipad for a dashboard but it worked really well and accelerated quicker than a Porsche I drove on the track last year. The boot space is massive too.

Looking forward to it when it arrives next month.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets IanMcL

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:29 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:I did the maths on the Tesla and was shocked.

On an average mileage a £40,000 Tesla will save over £2,000 annually at the pumps. Factor in lack of brake wear due to the engine doing much of the braking, and the reduced servicing needs, the car will be cheaper than a petrol or diesel equivalent if kept for a few years or more. As a company car with the zero emissions tax benefits it is superb because it saves 20% in corporation tax all in year 1 and it adds only a little tax for the driver.

I was a bit sceptical before the testdrive with just an Ipad for a dashboard but it worked really well and accelerated quicker than a Porsche I drove on the track last year. The boot space is massive too.

Yep a lot of the Tesla does add up. But for me personally wouldn't work (right now).

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:08 pm

Very much safer too!

As said, when I am at traffic lights and the car next to me is inching forward and revving in eagerness to please its driver, it is great fun to sit calmly and when the lights change, silently zoom forward in a flash, and look back to see they are off the line!

I am easily pleased. I don't speed, so they do eventually go past and invariably look across. Ha!

Caballo

Post by Caballo » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:25 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:It's a start. When has the first step of a journey ever achieved something on its own?
It is a start, it's the usual broad brush approach I have issue with. The latest euro6 diesels are producing less emissions than the current crop of petrol cars.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:35 pm

Caballo wrote:It is a start, it's the usual broad brush approach I have issue with. The latest euro6 diesels are producing less emissions than the current crop of petrol cars.
Only if driven in the right conditions and as I've pointed out, a lot of them aren't...

dsr
Been Liked: 4570 times
Has Liked: 2259 times

Post by dsr » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:36 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:I did the maths on the Tesla and was shocked.

'Average' mileage of 15,000 miles or more. At the current price of about £1.25 per litre, based on 40 mpg, you need to drive 14,545 miles to cost £2,000 p.a. in petrol. Add a few more because electricity isn't free, and you have a pretty high average.

A decent second hand car costs about £5k. (At any rate, I have had 5 in 30 years and none of them cost more than £5k, and all have been reliable.) That's about £22,000 capital cost of my car. I'd need to save a heck of a lot in servicing to make a £40k purchase worthwhile - or else run it for 60 years!

There may be lots of reasons to drive a Tesla, but saving money won't be one of them.

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:02 am

dsr wrote:'Average' mileage of 15,000 miles or more. At the current price of about £1.25 per litre, based on 40 mpg, you need to drive 14,545 miles to cost £2,000 p.a. in petrol. Add a few more because electricity isn't free, and you have a pretty high average.

A decent second hand car costs about £5k. (At any rate, I have had 5 in 30 years and none of them cost more than £5k, and all have been reliable.) That's about £22,000 capital cost of my car. I'd need to save a heck of a lot in servicing to make a £40k purchase worthwhile - or else run it for 60 years!

There may be lots of reasons to drive a Tesla, but saving money won't be one of them.
Driving mainly in a very hilly city in a 3 litre diesel and that 40mpg becomes 25mpg very easily. I tend to get 32mpg driving to the Turf. That’s why my maths add up. Everyone should factor in their own circumstances. I have had my car for 12 years and would plan to have the Tesla the same length, like a fine wine it will get better with age (software updates).

Clearly buying old cars second hand will be the cheapest (and most polluting) option.

But for those who want to buy or lease a new saloon or SUV car, the maths on buying the cheaper Teslas outright beats most of them hands down. Get it on credit or lease, and it won’t. It won’t be as advantageous if I didn’t buy it through my business either, especially now the government taxes even basic rate taxpayers just for withdrawing our (already taxed) money from the business. So I accept the logic doesn't work for everyone but it will for some.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:07 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:Driving mainly in a very hilly city in a 3 litre diesel and that 40mpg becomes 25mpg very easily. I tend to get 32mpg driving to the Turf. That’s why my maths add up. Everyone should factor in their own circumstances. I have had my car for 12 years and would plan to have the Tesla the same length, like a fine wine it will get better with age (software updates).

Clearly buying old cars second hand will be the cheapest (and most polluting) option.

But for those who want to buy or lease a new saloon or SUV car, the maths on buying the cheaper Teslas outright beats most of them hands down. Get it on credit or lease, and it won’t. It won’t be as advantageous if I didn’t buy it through my business either, especially now the government taxes even basic rate taxpayers just for withdrawing our (already taxed) money from the business. So I accept the logic doesn't work for everyone but it will for some.
Whats the longevity and life expectancy of a tesla. Never considered one. And doubt I will buy one right now. But may be a wildcard I wasnt considering.

As i say dont think it would suit my circumstances but...

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:00 am

Caballo wrote:It is a start, it's the usual broad brush approach I have issue with. The latest euro6 diesels are producing less emissions than the current crop of petrol cars.
Tough ****. We need a broad brush now since we've ****** about so long in actually doing something. This "broad brush" will make diesel cars less attractive options for commuters making them go for cleaners options. And it sets the path for petrol cars to be next, eventually.

I don't give a **** if they could have been more precise about which diesels they ban, they all need to go eventually.

Caballo

Post by Caballo » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:54 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:Tough ****. We need a broad brush now since we've ****** about so long in actually doing something. This "broad brush" will make diesel cars less attractive options for commuters making them go for cleaners options. And it sets the path for petrol cars to be next, eventually.

I don't give a **** if they could have been more precise about which diesels they ban, they all need to go eventually.
Standard!

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:22 am

Caballo wrote:Standard!
Is that a concession to the point i made, or are we already at the stage where you justify not trying to counter the point i made because i used too many asterisks?

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:18 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Whats the longevity and life expectancy of a tesla. Never considered one. And doubt I will buy one right now. But may be a wildcard I wasnt considering.

As i say dont think it would suit my circumstances but...
8 years on batteries and powertrain.
4 years/50k for rest. Roadside assistance included and 'over the air'. Lots can be done via your software, to get going again.

My 50k has just been reached, so signed up for breakdown cover at £60. Over the sir still available. Breakdown would get me to service centre.

No service done. Just tyres.
Very spacious! Big inside, large boot and empty front!
Just motors and battery. The rest is....what do we expect of a vehicle? At present, that's a car lookalike.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:39 am

IanMcL wrote:8 years on batteries and powertrain.
4 years/50k for rest. Roadside assistance included and 'over the air'. Lots can be done via your software, to get going again.

My 50k has just been reached, so signed up for breakdown cover at £60. Over the sir still available. Breakdown would get me to service centre.

No service done. Just tyres.
Very spacious! Big inside, large boot and empty front!
Just motors and battery. The rest is....what do we expect of a vehicle? At present, that's a car lookalike.
Its those figures that mainly put me off. Just not practical right now.

I am sure in the next five years things will be different. And in ten years people will probably wonder wtf we were doing with polluting engines for so long.

But at the minute those charge times aren't suitable. I could probably make do with a 300 mile range (which is probably more like 200). But not when it takes so long to repower.
Attachments
tesla.PNG
tesla.PNG (22.63 KiB) Viewed 1872 times

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:44 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Its those figures that mainly put me off. Just not practical right now.

I am sure in the next five years things will be different. And in ten years people will probably wonder wtf we were doing with polluting engines for so long.

But at the minute those charge times aren't suitable. I could probably make do with a 300 mile range (which is probably more like 200). But not when it takes so long to repower.
These are the Model 3 figures - I think it necessitates having a 7kw charging point at home but then a night’s charging would cover most of us for the next day at 27 miles added for each hour of charging. Apologies for formatting - posting in a rush on ipad.

I’m going to live with a 3 pin plug for 6 months while in a rental during my house renovation. Let’s see how it goes.

Charging method Typically found at Charging time* Range/hour**
Empty to full
3-pin plug Home 24 - 33 h 9 - 10 m/h
3.7kW Home / Work 15 - 21 h 15 - 16 m/h
7kW Home / Work / Public Locations 8 - 11 h 27 - 29 m/h
22kW Work / Public Locations 5 - 7 h 43 - 46 m/h

20%-80% full
50kW Public Locations 40 - 60 min 98 - 105 m/30 min
150kW Public Locations 20 min 210 - 301 m/30 min

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:55 pm

Most folk charge at home over night and when on a journey, use the superchargers, which are fast.

7kw charges at 22mph. 10 hours = 220 added to what was in the tank. In warm weather it will be a lot less loss than cold.
230 in worst situation gets me to Stoke (170m) with 30+ left in the tank.

Supercharge, have wee, sandwich, drink and put match thread on and I am away and refreshed.

dsr
Been Liked: 4570 times
Has Liked: 2259 times

Post by dsr » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:12 pm

IanMcL wrote:Most folk charge at home over night ...
Which makes them useless for people who don't have a drive and/or garage. They won't supercede petrol cars unless and until they make recharging take 5 minutes or so (or unless they drive the less-rich people off the road).