Zip Merging

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Re: Zip Merging

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:44 pm

houseboy wrote:But if they all go at the same speed doesn't that somewhat negate the 'zipping' (what a good word by the way)?

*This is an interesting argument but we aren't getting anywhere. (See what I did then?) :lol: :lol: :lol:
True it is an absolute pointless discussion but just what messageboards were made for. Think i'll just zip it on this topic now but dont worry I'll give you a wave as I come speeding past you in the empty lane :D :D
This user liked this post: houseboy

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:13 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:But if you all hadn't moved into the inside lane to early and stayed in the outside lane until the roadworks they would never be an empty lane.

What you are doing by going slowly in the empty lane is what would happen naturally without you if everyone just filled up both lanes
Devils_Advocate wrote:I am not sure where you are going with these accusations on my character :D :D :D

Seriously though if everyone fills both lanes and they are both going at the same speed there is absolutely no opportunity for anyone to sneak up the outside and push in
Surely this all means you are in complete support of those that the OP rages against? They're achieving exactly what you recommend: filling up all the lanes and equalising the speed between them, thus providing the perfect conditions for deano's graphic to work.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 293 times

Post by deanothedino » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:02 pm

If it be your will wrote:Provided the tailback is not so long it's blocking the previous junction, it makes absolutely no difference what length the queue is. I'm not interested in a queue's length, just the time required to get through it. Merging early reduces this.
Apart from the fact inevitably it will eventually reach the previous junction and people who approach the back of it won't know why anyone is queuing and go round it...

You then post a link supporting what I say.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2619 times
Has Liked: 6416 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:49 am

A question for all those who like to queue early and then block the other lanes. How far away from the merge do you like to queue? 200 yards? 800 yards? 1 mile...?

Just asking to find out when overtaking becomes being rude...

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:24 am

Once it becomes obvious there is a queue forming, it's rude to then attempt to gain an unfair, advanced place in that queue. Think of any queue, passport control or whatever, yes, in the mess it's perfectly possible to gain a few places, and sort of half pretend you didn't really mean to, but really you know when you're doing it. Everybody knows. It's really obvious.

And remember, no one is really 'blocking' anything - they're not parking up - they're merely equalising the speed differential between the lanes in order to allow an orderly, fair, and safe merge to occur.

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:41 am

To me it's analogous to fluid mechanics...

If you consider a pipe (road) with a fluid (vehicles) flowing through it approaching a narrowing of the pipe (roadworks), it is definitely not quicker to get some of the fluid (vehicles) to stop to one side of the pipe (left lane of road) leaving a void to the other side of the pipe (right lane of road) - the quickest way for all the fluid (vehicles) to pass through the narrowing (roadworks) is to occupy all of the available pipe (road) and not for some of the fluid (vehicles) to stop or block the other fluid (vehicles) from using their artificially created void (empty right lane).

Of course fluid has no manners and isn't necessarily British - so queuing isn't a problem...

I hope that makes sense :D

BFCmaj
Been Liked: 391 times
Has Liked: 2106 times

Post by BFCmaj » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:50 am

If everybody was a lot more courteous on the roads in general and let people in then traffic would flow more freely.
These 2 users liked this post: Rick_Muller lesxdp

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:52 am

BFCmaj wrote:If everybody was a lot more courteous on the roads in general and let people in then traffic would flow more freely.
I'll certainly agree with that :)

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:17 am

Rick_Muller wrote:To me it's analogous to fluid mechanics...

If you consider a pipe (road) with a fluid (vehicles) flowing through it approaching a narrowing of the pipe (roadworks), it is definitely not quicker to get some of the fluid (vehicles) to stop to one side of the pipe (left lane of road) leaving a void to the other side of the pipe (right lane of road) - the quickest way for all the fluid (vehicles) to pass through the narrowing (roadworks) is to occupy all of the available pipe (road) and not for some of the fluid (vehicles) to stop or block the other fluid (vehicles) from using their artificially created void (empty right lane).

Of course fluid has no manners and isn't necessarily British - so queuing isn't a problem...

No one is doubting the science Rick. It is, as you suggest, probably a British thing. If the traffic in one lane is stationary, they should not be left to rot, as the other lane gains all the advantage.

Unless the 2 lanes are moving (which they are sometimes), there is an issue.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

BFCmaj

Post by BFCmaj » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:04 pm

IanMcL wrote:No one is doubting the science Rick. It is, as you suggest, probably a British thing. If the traffic in one lane is stationary, they should not be left to rot, as the other lane gains all the advantage.

Unless the 2 lanes are moving (which they are sometimes), there is an issue.
Then surely it’s an education thing. If people were aware of the correct rules, there wouldn’t be a problem. The problem isn’t with the people merging lanes where the cones are, its the people refusing to let them in that’s the problem.
This user liked this post: deanothedino

fzr162
Been Liked: 25 times

Post by fzr162 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:22 pm

There is a simple solution to this if it boils your p**S so much, ride a motorbike and filter to the front.
This user liked this post: lesxdp

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:41 pm

Stay in whichever lane you like. That's what the lorries are doing. But once you're zooming past a line of near-stationary vehicles, you know you're just pushing in. No graphic or pipe analogy will ever disguise that!

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:15 pm

If it be your will wrote:Stay in whichever lane you like. That's what the lorries are doing. But once you're zooming past a line of near-stationary vehicles, you know you're just pushing in. No graphic or pipe analogy will ever disguise that!
The point is that if all those who got over to the left early instead tried to get as close to the front as possible there would be no room to zoom down the right because the void of the right hand lane would not exist. If it be your will (do you like what I did there ;)) to get over to the left as early as possible you really shouldn't have any justification to moan or try to block those who understand fluid dynamics and will zoom down your right. The problem only actually exists because there are some people who choose to get over early.

...and yes, I know I am pushing in front of those who dont understand fluid dynamics - their choice not mine :D

At least acknowledge that there is logic in this argument even if you don't agree with it.
This user liked this post: BFCmaj

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:42 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:The point is that if all those who got over to the left early instead tried to get as close to the front as possible there would be no room to zoom down the right because the void of the right hand lane would not exist. If it be your will (do you like what I did there ;)) to get over to the left as early as possible you really shouldn't have any justification to moan or try to block those who understand fluid dynamics and will zoom down your right. The problem only actually exists because there are some people who choose to get over early.

...and yes, I know I am pushing in front of those who dont understand fluid dynamics - their choice not mine :D

At least acknowledge that there is logic in this argument even if you don't agree with it.
Okay, I'll tell you what, we'll compromise. I'll promise to stay in my lane (even if it is the one that ultimately becomes obstructed) thereby not pulling over too early and filling that lane too quickly. But so as not to push in, I'll make sure I don't overtake anyone. And like you say, if everyone did this, it would all work perfectly. Then we can all while away our time thinking about fluid dynamics without anyone having to get angry.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:04 pm

Fluidity of movement sounds very much like a severe case of https://youtu.be/ozKLHFxAvAo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or even https://youtu.be/TXGNuJ6wIes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

deanothedino

Post by deanothedino » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:07 pm

If it be your will wrote:
And remember, no one is really 'blocking' anything - they're not parking up - they're merely equalising the speed differential between the lanes in order to allow an orderly, fair, and safe merge to occur.
Or unsafely causing an obstruction because of some weird construct in their mind that everyone is pushing in.
These 2 users liked this post: Rick_Muller BFCmaj

deanothedino

Post by deanothedino » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:09 pm

BFCmaj wrote:Then surely it’s an education thing. If people were aware of the correct rules, there wouldn’t be a problem. The problem isn’t with the people merging lanes where the cones are, its the people refusing to let them in that’s the problem.
Yep and that stems from the view that if it be your will holds that everyone is pushing in. They aren’t, they are using all of the available road like they are supposed to.
These 2 users liked this post: Rick_Muller BFCmaj

BFCmaj

Post by BFCmaj » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:51 pm

If it be your will wrote:Okay, I'll tell you what, we'll compromise. I'll promise to stay in my lane (even if it is the one that ultimately becomes obstructed) thereby not pulling over too early and filling that lane too quickly. But so as not to push in, I'll make sure I don't overtake anyone. And like you say, if everyone did this, it would all work perfectly. Then we can all while away our time thinking about fluid dynamics without anyone having to get angry.
The only reason people are getting angry when this happens is because they aren't following the rules of the road.

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:58 pm

Priority is taking the licenses away from middle lane drivers, sorting this out comes after prison sentences for drivers who have to brake to look at a car having a tyre fitted on the hard shoulder.
This user liked this post: lesxdp

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:35 pm

This has been a great thread! I can hardly wait for the next chance I get to do this now!

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:50 pm

basically, some people are decent and considerate, but the majority of other road users are ****, therefore it is warfare out there, and always will be. we aren't a nation of queue lovers as is widely reported, we mostly detest the vermin who ignore signs and speed up and expect to push in. zip merging ! no *******chance.
This user liked this post: Jakubclaret

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:53 pm

BFCmaj wrote:The only reason people are getting angry when this happens is because they aren't following the rules of the road.
Some people don't give a s**t about the rules of the road, sorry to be blunt but it's true, the only time some people will obey the rules of the road is when they see traffic police or a speed camera ect, people just want to get to A or B as soon as possible with the minimum amount of fuss, years ago I can remember my driving instructor telling me he's never encountered so many selfish drivers within the UK & when driving on the continent people are more considerate, I think there's too many vehicles on the road creating some of these problems.

deanothedino

Post by deanothedino » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:33 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:Some people don't give a s**t about the rules of the road, sorry to be blunt but it's true, the only time some people will obey the rules of the road is when they see traffic police or a speed camera ect, people just want to get to A or B as soon as possible with the minimum amount of fuss, years ago I can remember my driving instructor telling me he's never encountered so many selfish drivers within the UK & when driving on the continent people are more considerate, I think there's too many vehicles on the road creating some of these problems.
Which continent? Can’t have been Europe as most countries I’ve experience there have roads filled with psychopaths. And if you think we’re bad... get yourself on some of the interstates in America and get ready to really experience lawless driving.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:22 am

deanothedino wrote:Which continent? Can’t have been Europe as most countries I’ve experience there have roads filled with psychopaths. And if you think we’re bad... get yourself on some of the interstates in America and get ready to really experience lawless driving.
Not sure to be honest, it’s just something I remembered I never questioned, at the time probably too busy with clutch control on a hill start, 1 of the manoeuvres you may have to demonstrate on your test, glad I passed when I did I believe it’s harder now on the theory with increasing the question bank, at the time I think it was 35 plus the hazard perception which was a doddle.

1fatclaret
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 100 times

Post by 1fatclaret » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:13 pm

deanothedino wrote:You're just making the queue longer by merging earlier, it's no faster. It is more efficient to use the whole road available and merge in turn (zip merge) to reduce the tailback.

Brits in general have a poor grasp of zip merging.

If everyone actually knew how to zip merge no one would stop moving to allow it to happen.

The difference between the graphic and real life, is that in the graphic, every car is waiting its turn. In real life, people are trying to “advance” their position. The trucks and other drivers that deliberately prevent this, are making the zip merging work as it should, by making sure everyone waits their turn.

deanothedino

Post by deanothedino » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:05 pm

1fatclaret wrote:The trucks and other drivers that deliberately prevent this, are making the zip merging work as it should, by making sure everyone waits their turn.
They really aren't.

"Everyone waiting their turn" would involve all lanes being used until they are unavailable and alternating turns to move over as per the gif. People deliberately preventing people doing this are driving like tossers by sticking to the bumper in front of them and successfully "advancing" their position.
Jakubclaret wrote: glad I passed when I did I believe it’s harder now on the theory with increasing the question bank, at the time I think it was 35 plus the hazard perception which was a doddle.
Makes you wonder why there's so many bad drivers around doesn't it...

1fatclaret
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 100 times

Post by 1fatclaret » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:19 pm

deanothedino wrote:They really aren't.

"Everyone waiting their turn" would involve all lanes being used until they are unavailable and alternating turns to move over as per the gif. People deliberately preventing people doing this are driving like tossers by sticking to the bumper in front of them and successfully "advancing" their position.

Yes, they really are. If the first car to be in the right hand lane when the lane closure sign appear, stays level with the car to his left, then he moves over in turn. The subsequent cars follow suit. That’s how fluid dynamics work.

If the first car acts like a **** and barrels up the outside and then forces his way over, the inside lane has to brake, this then causes a ripple effect backwards in the inside lane. That’s also how fluid dynamics works.
These 2 users liked this post: Swizzlestick lesxdp

deanothedino

Post by deanothedino » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:57 pm

1fatclaret wrote:Yes, they really are. If the first car to be in the right hand lane when the lane closure sign appear, stays level with the car to his left, then he moves over in turn. The subsequent cars follow suit. That’s how fluid dynamics work.

If the first car acts like a **** and barrels up the outside and then forces his way over, the inside lane has to brake, this then causes a ripple effect backwards in the inside lane. That’s also how fluid dynamics works.
How about those who don't 'barrel' down the outside lane and just continue to make steady progress before merging? Oh wait, they can't do that because the bell next to them is riding the person in fronts bumper while sat in a queue that has been made worse by all those who love to get over 2 miles before the obstruction.

Now since you clearly are a huge fan of fluid dynamics lets explain why people blocking the road because they don't want anyone to 'jump the queue' is stupid. You have three lanes. In the left lane you have queuing traffic. In the middle lane you have Mr Helpful in his lorry trying to stop people push in. In front of him you have a load of empty road up to the obstruction. A fluid wants to fill that empty road, so it will look for a way around. There's a gap in the right hand lane, so the blocked fluid will go round the guy in his lorry before moving back into the middle lane up to the obstruction and then will look to merge in the left lane. Unfortunately this is when those who have been queuing in the left lane for however long decide that person can't possibly merge into that lane so they ride the bumper in front until eventually the car in the middle lane forces a gap by making someone break.

However, if everyone just continues to drive using all three lanes leaving one car length between each other the traffic will flow towards the obstruction before each lane merges in turn to the next by a slight decrease in speed to extend that gap like the gif I posted. That is why the gif doesn't feature a lorry 400 yards back crawling along trying to hold everyone up.

If in your scenario the car speeds up because he sees the lane closure sign, then he is indeed a cock. However if he just continues to drive as he was then he is doing the right thing, regardless of what the car to his left is doing because ultimately once the empty road is taken up all of the traffic will slow to the speed appropriate for each lane and as long as the left most lane continues to allow a car in to the lane every other car, the system will work.

It is really, really simple.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:37 pm

deanothedino wrote:They really aren't.

They say you learn to drive after you've passed your test when you are by yourself, I disagree once you've passed you tend to pick bad habits up, whereas when you are with your instructor you are more precise indicating at junctions, more cautious with your speed ect, overall on your guard.

Walton
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 242 times

Post by Walton » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:07 pm

The police clamped down on the Vivary Way queue jumping a few years ago. https://www.pendletoday.co.uk/news/crim ... -1-7133119

There are a number of repeat offenders I used to see every day, one 07 reg Honda Civic cuts in very dangerously on a daily basis, but I now take a different route home and it shaves a good 10 minutes off. Beats queueing in traffic which gets needlessly held up by people having to slam their brakes on because knobheads don't know which lane is which and cut in to gaps which don't exist.

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:36 pm

Walton wrote:The police clamped down on the Vivary Way queue jumping a few years ago. https://www.pendletoday.co.uk/news/crim ... -1-7133119

There are a number of repeat offenders I used to see every day, one 07 reg Honda Civic cuts in very dangerously on a daily basis, but I now take a different route home and it shaves a good 10 minutes off. Beats queueing in traffic which gets needlessly held up by people having to slam their brakes on because knobheads don't know which lane is which and cut in to gaps which don't exist.
You do know this is irrelevant because it has nothing to do with merge in turn or zip merging don’t you?

Walton

Post by Walton » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:27 am

Rick_Muller wrote:You do know this is irrelevant because it has nothing to do with merge in turn or zip merging don’t you?
Posts 6, 15 and 17 all referred to this road. I stopped looking once I'd found three references within the thread because I didn't want to waste any more time justifying why my post was relevant within this thread.

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:34 am

Walton wrote:Posts 6, 15 and 17 all referred to this road. I stopped looking once I'd found three references within the thread because I didn't want to waste any more time justifying why my post was relevant within this thread.
Apologies, I was quite abrupt and you are correct in reference to that road. Please forgive my curt response as I misunderstood why you posted what you did.
This user liked this post: Walton

Walton

Post by Walton » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:53 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:Apologies, I was quite abrupt and you are correct in reference to that road. Please forgive my curt response as I misunderstood why you posted what you did.
As was I, and without the specific local knowledge you might not have put two and two together as Vivary Way is often mixed up with North Valley Rd, but essentially they're treated as one and the same.

Round here I'm only familiar with the zip merge near Rawtenstall, and a very short one on the roundabout near the Thatch and Thistle going towards Barrowford. They both seem to work well from my experience, with problems only arising with the Rawtenstall one if someone screams down the outside at a pace which makes it unsafe to zip

UTC
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller