Sheffield United v Burnley - Player Ratings

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Re: Sheffield United v Burnley - Player Ratings

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:41 pm

Warning signs were there very early on when they achived overlaps at will on both flanks.

But end of the day, we just didn't turn up at all and you will get thumped at this level if you do that.

Pope 6 - no chance with any of them, and a couple of good stops in the 2nd half
Lowton 4 - as poor as I've seen him
Mee 4 - a 300th game to forget
Tarks 5 - silly pass for the 3rd
Pieters 3 - all over the place
Hendrick 5
Westwood 4 - passing really bad. And won nothing
Cork 5
McNeil 4
Jay 5
Barnes 4 - this isn't the Barnes we've had for a couple of seasons. Well out of form and missed our best chance

Subs
Taylor 6
Brady 5
Vydra came on as we left so I can't mark him

Hopefully a one off, but that was as one sided as us v Norwich was.

Scott Arfield's Swag
Been Liked: 16 times

Post by Scott Arfield's Swag » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:33 am

Pope 4
Lowton 3
Tarkowski 4
Mee 3
Pieters 3 
Hendrick 3
Westwood 3
Cork 4
McNeil 3
Barnes 3
Rodriguez 4

Taylor 5
Brady 3

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:34 am

Horrendous first half, although we could have had 2 soft pens. If it had been a diff ref (one who could see) and a favoured team, nailed on. Never for us. Chris Wood must still be scratching his head how his 'touch' at Leicester stopped his goal. Jay Rod gets a real 'tap' and nothing.

2nd half more endeavour and chances.

Overall all get a 5.

Could have been lower, none higher. All did something right as well as mistakes.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:33 am

Congratulations Sheff Utd on your first home league win of the season. Masterclass by Wilder with his tactical nous.

Pope 5-Left terribly exposed by those in front of him. That said, today I really missed Heaton's leadership qualities.
Lowton 3-Our No1 weakest position but he was left terribly exposed by Hendricks lack of positioning IMO.
Tarkowski 5-Very poor game by his standards but still our best defender by a country mile.
Mee 3-Shocking and where are the leadership qualities?
Pieters 3-Positioning very suspect. Again I was staggered when Taylor didn't start.
Hendrick 3-If he's chosen to play wide he should stay wide, created too many holes for them to capitalise on.
Westwood 4-Huffed and puffed. Not his fault he's playing in a midfield outnumbered by the opponents.
Cork 5-Same as Westwood but at times Corky appears physically lacking and laboured.
McNeil 3-Been poor all season except last week when I thought he'd turned a corner. Needs a break for his own good.
Rodriguez 5-Looked a little lightweight at times but he did try and create.
Barnes 3-Surpised he started after last week but he appears very ineffective without Wood along side him. Fluffed our best chance again.

Taylor 6*-Only positive of the afternoon and surely ever stubborn SD will start him next week.
Brady 3-Always looks one tackle short of another lay off and I thought it had happened again. Came on too late.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:10 am

Pope 4
Lowton 3
Tarkowski 5
Mee 4
Pieters 3
Hendrick 4
Westwood 4
Cork 5
McNeil 3
Rodriguez 4
Barnes 3

Taylor 6
Brady 4

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:15 am

ashtonlongsider wrote:Congratulations Sheff Utd on your first home league win of the season. Masterclass by Wilder with his tactical nous.

They beat arsenal last week, however you're right it was a masterclass, but nothing new, people rave about Howe, but this guy has done just as well from just as low down, with several clubs with not a lot of money.
His sides usually have a good balance, keep it very tight, but play some really good unique stuff.
Last edited by MACCA on Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:30 am

MACCA wrote:They beat arsenal last week, however your tight it was a masterclass, but nothing new, people rave about Howe, this guy has fone just as well from.just as low down, with several clubs with not a lot of money.
His sides usually have a good balance, keep it very tight, but play done really good unique stuff.
Thanks for putting me right. It makes it a little better :D

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 997 times
Has Liked: 2007 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:58 am

"Hendrick 3-If he's chosen to play wide he should stay wide, created too many holes for them to capitalise on"

The problem is our current midfield two that means Hendrick inevitable gets dragged inside and out of position to help out and fill holes in the middle

Greeny
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Greeny » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:30 am

Don’t understand why when the team had some momentum, Cork drops straight back in after injury. Then surprise surprise (not) the wheels come off against Chelski + The Blades. He is a lightweight but Sean is obviously a fan. Not a good mix + doesn’t bode well.

All 4’s except Taylor - 7

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:40 am

Greeny wrote:Don’t understand why when the team had some momentum, Cork drops straight back in after injury. Then surprise surprise (not) the wheels come off against Chelski + The Blades. He is a lightweight but Sean is obviously a fan. Not a good mix + doesn’t bode well.

All 4’s except Taylor - 7
We beat Everton and gave Leicester a good game with Westwood and Hendrick in the middle of the park. As you say not sure why Cork waltzes straight back in.

Blyclaret
Been Liked: 207 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Blyclaret » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:23 am

Will not rate the players as they have been instructed to play this Dyche system.
As a lot of people blaming the players.
Its the managers we should be rating.

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:27 am

Pope 5
Pieters 3
Tarkowski 3
Mee 4
Lowton 3
McNeil 5
Westwood 4
Cork 4
Hendrick 4
Barnes 4
Wood 4

Taylor 5

Poor all round but we move on.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:38 pm

Pope 5 (I'm querying that 3rd goal?)
Lowton 4
Tarks 4 (2 cock ups in 2 weeks. Get back to bloody basics!)
Mee 5
Pieters 3
Cork 4
Westwood 4
Hendrick 4
McNeil 5 (He never stops trying tbh and teams don't like his energy or his trickery running at them, even when they're 3 goals up)
Barnes 4 (I'm a fan, but fairs fair and he's been absolutely cr*p for several games now)
Jayrod 3

Taylor 6 (His enthusiasm to try to wrestle the shirt back is like a breath if fresh air)
Brady 4 (never going to make an impression - but at least we weren't treated to Lennon!!!)
Vydra 5 (Another player trying hard to grab a starting shirt and it showed, but ultimately he made no difference in the appalling all round showing!)

Well done Sheff U. Yesterday was clearly no fluke as they're doing very well in the league thanks very much and they're doing it with a small budget, keen and untapped and largely unknown talent and a number of well chosen journeymen. Sound familiar?? Course they were helped by us being absolutely awful all over the pitch. After last week I said it was clear that if Wood isn't fit Jayrod and Barnes together are clearly not going to work, but no surprise we tried it again and were absolutely toothless. Our midfield chased shadows for 90 odd minutes and never found any time or space of their own and our defence (I use the term loosely) was exposed time and time again and looked slow and cumbersome, not helped by Tarkowski thinking he should be playing for Brazil and cocking up for the second week running. In isolation it's a blip, but despite playing well at Leicester we've now lost 3 on the spin and next week starts to look critical, even if it's just for a "performance" that doesn't smack of relegation fodder!!!
PS. I stayed to the end (just in case someone starts a thread!! :))

maidenover
Been Liked: 70 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by maidenover » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:48 pm

Pope 5
Lawton 3
Tarkowski 4
Mee 4
Pieters 3
Hendrick 4
Westwood 4
Cork 5
McNeil 3
Rodriguez 5
Barnes 4

Taylor 6 MoM
Brady 4

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:44 pm

MACCA wrote:They beat arsenal last week, however you're right it was a masterclass, but nothing new, people rave about Howe, but this guy has done just as well from just as low down, with several clubs with not a lot of money.
His sides usually have a good balance, keep it very tight, but play some really good unique stuff.
Just to add that they alo beat Crystal Palace 1-0 in their first home match. They beat Arsenal and us in the last two home games and have lost their other three games to Leicester, Liverpool and, surprisingly, Southampton.

the_magic_rat
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by the_magic_rat » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:21 pm

Pope 5

Lowton 4
Tarkowski 4
Mee 4
Pieters 4

McNeil 5
Westwood 5
Cork 5
Hendrick 5

Barnes 6
Rodriguez 5

Taylor 6
Brady 5

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2562 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:02 pm

jrgbfc wrote:We beat Everton and gave Leicester a good game with Westwood and Hendrick in the middle of the park. As you say not sure why Cork waltzes straight back in.
Because JBG got injured, so Hendrick went back out wide and Cork came back into the centre.

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:19 pm

I was embarrassed to meet up with my Blades supporting friends after watching that. I thought we’d probably lose but the lack of competitive edge and the ease of the home side’s victory was desperate. Hard to believe we could be so far off the pace. Credit to Blades though, I strongly fancied them to stay up, but actually I could see them finishing top 10, which would be remarkable:
Pope 6
Lowton 3
Tarks 3
Mee 3
Pieters 3
McNeil 4
Westwood 4
Cork 4
Hendrick 3
Barnes 3
Rodriguez 4

Taylor 6*

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:45 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:Because JBG got injured, so Hendrick went back out wide and Cork came back into the centre.
Lennon must be a good shout for playing on the right, with Hendrick in the middle.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2490 times
Has Liked: 761 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:50 pm

Spijed wrote:Lennon must be a good shout for playing on the right, with Hendrick in the middle.
Disgusting comment. Do you not think the ginger genius knows what he’s doing?

I’m shocked he’s being questioned. Some fans need to get a grip

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:10 pm

I see Lowton got 7 votes on the Man of The Match page. I am presuming they were blind drunk rather than blind. Unless of course they were all by his family who were probably in attendance.