Post match comments?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Re: Post match comments?

Post by agreenwood » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:37 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Crap

Only a complete imbecile would suggest that Dyche would not have told his players what to do about Sheff United tactics.

What actually happened is that Lowton and Pieters had terrible games, Hendrick and McNeil were a way away from their best and because they were bad on positioning, passing and basically just everything, Sheff Utd ran riot down both flanks.

All three goals were from Burnley mistakes, the 2nd and 3rd in particular being really, really basic
Surely team selection comes under the “tactics” heading? Some of those who started yesterday had been rank bad the week before. Persisting with out of form players to the detriment of the team is a poor tactical decision.

He gets a lot more right he gets wrong, but neither of our full backs and at least one of the central midfielders haven’t been great for a few weeks now.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:42 am

agreenwood wrote:Surely team selection comes under the “tactics” heading? Some of those who started yesterday had been rank bad the week before. Persisting with out of form players to the detriment of the team is a poor tactical decision.

He gets a lot more right he gets wrong, but neither of our full backs and at least one of the central midfielders haven’t been great for a few weeks now.
Taylor should be in, no question but I think the rest have been fine to okay (Lowtons mistake on sat was out of character for him this season to be fair, and Cork/Westwood okay as well)

I was unfortunate enough to pick this one as my first away game of the season, and my impression from the game wasn't our tactical shape, it was just how rank bad we were.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:43 am

Off the top of my head...

Everton (h) 2-1
Watford (a) 1-2
Huddersfield (a) 1-2
Fulham (h) 2-1
Bournemouth (a) 3-1

All victories from losing positions.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3139 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:09 am

Our passing across the back, reminiscent of our play under the anti-christ, AKA Eddie Howe, is causing us plenty of trouble. Slow, predictable and easy to pick us off.
I also doubt that we are achieving the same levels of work-rate that we did 2 years ago.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:10 am

MACCA wrote:We have the same approach, with the same instructions,
and play the same tactics every week regardless off opposition.

Why would he blame himself?

He is yet to out think or deliver a tactical masterclass to any opposition manager in this league.

That's not in his skillset

Not a dig, just the way he works, which has been very successful. A stick to what you know and works for you type scenario .
We may have the same basic formation but tactics certainly differ from game to game. Against arsenal and Norwich for instance we played a much higher press than against other teams in order to put pressure on them knocking it around at the back. The Athletic has had some good articles illustrating this.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1234 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:21 pm

jrgbfc wrote:To suggest we outplayed Arsenal for 45 minutes is pushing it a bit.
I wish someone was pushing you a bit....off a very high bridge

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:30 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:I wish someone was pushing you a bit....off a very high bridge
Bit touchy are we? Looks like the penny has finally dropped with Dyche so hopefully that's the last we'll see of your man Pieters for a while.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:08 pm

jrgbfc wrote:Bit touchy are we? Looks like the penny has finally dropped with Dyche so hopefully that's the last we'll see of your man Pieters for a while.
Ha, if you knew anything you'd know that Pieters is not Hibs man, not even close.

Hibs has always preferred Taylor.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:33 pm

Genuine appraisal of yesterday in my opinion.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:31 pm

CharlieinNewMexico wrote:I'm sorry, that's just absolute bobbins. We've had all week (season) to look at video and know that Lowton and Pieters are going to get absolutely overloaded because they send their wide men AND centre halves down the flanks. So we just blame Lowton and Pieters? That's your idea? Both of them were absolutely gash, but this thing about the manager and staff being untouchable simply has to come to an end. The three of them were on the touchline having a conflab about what to do after 15 minutes like it had never occurred to them!

no, wrong ! and where did i just single those two out ?

its like you're responding to a different post.
The same manager and staff have overseen many great victories in this league over a prolonged period, are you just conveniently forgetting that ? and referring to any of our players as you describe them is quite poor to be honest.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:54 pm

ksrclaret wrote:Okay, they didn’t outnumber us everywhere, we still had more in defence vs their forwards, not that it helped.

However they always had more men than us in midfield, down the flanks and in their defence vs our forwards. But that wasn’t a surprise to us, even Jack Cork admitted he knew it was coming pre match, but everyone just let it happen.

We might have coped if we’d have been our usual standard of giving a toss, but that’s all we’d have done - coped.
And that is what we do in games like this, we cope

Today the effort, desire, skill, passing, decisions....

All way off first half, and when we had the real chance at the start of the 2nd, Barnes missed one that he normally gobbles up.

Its a bad day, it happens.
This user liked this post: k90bfc