Realistic transfer targets in January

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
IWOODLOVETT
Been Liked: 495 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Re: Realistic transfer targets in January

Post by IWOODLOVETT » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:37 pm

Whilst I’ll gladly bow to the manager’s opinion I’m not convinced that DD is the answer to our prayers as some others think. Chelsea are clearly desperate to off-load a player that failed to make sort of impact over the significant time that he has been with them.
His last games of note which got him an England call-up were for the rampant, attack minded Leicester team where he played alongside Kante in midfield and where the lightning fast Mahrez and Vardy turned his through ls into worldies.

mkmel
Been Liked: 1271 times
Has Liked: 2249 times

Post by mkmel » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:37 pm

taio wrote:Agree - we've done ok so far despite yesterday's poor performance. The league table is tight but we're 14th currently and most supporters would take that come the end of the season.

And we have already played 5 out of the top 6 .....

And lost all 5 mind you

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:06 pm

[quote="Stayingup"][quote="Top Claret"]All is not lost yet Frank. We have only had two poor performances all season to date. I fully expect Sean to make the changes over the next couple of games to stop the rot[/quote

What changes exactly?[/q

We dont have the personal to make more than a couple of changes and we don't need to.

Both full backs most certainly need changing though
This user liked this post: Stayingup

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11047 times
Has Liked: 5656 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:06 pm

MACCA wrote:Eze QPR

Young, big, strong, box to box, scores and creates.

Ticks all the boxes and with only 18 months left on his contract.
With Warburton SD mate, and them having Wells off us, it could put us in poll position.

1 thing I think we all agree we need is to bring the age of the squad down, and we need a midfielder or 2.
agree on Eze 100%

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3161 times
Has Liked: 6750 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:17 pm

IWOODLOVETT wrote:Whilst I’ll gladly bow to the manager’s opinion I’m not convinced that DD is the answer to our prayers as some others think. Chelsea are clearly desperate to off-load a player that failed to make sort of impact over the significant time that he has been with them.
His last games of note which got him an England call-up were for the rampant, attack minded Leicester team where he played alongside Kante in midfield and where the lightning fast Mahrez and Vardy turned his through ls into worldies.
Agree 100%

I also think Eze fits the bill for us, we need a stronger physical presence in midfield.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:40 pm

Given our current frailties I would be tempted to give a couple of the youth players a go.

N’Guessan, Richardson, Koiki, Benson - we might discover the next McNeil if they are given a chance.

Apart from that 100% agree with Eze and Bowen. They are both top young talents but I imagine we will have to break our transfer record for either.

Centre Mid has to be priority for the upcoming window. As other posters have highlighted - cork and Westwood are great for Burnley but I agree with sentiment that they would struggle to start on a regular basis for any other premier league team.

I’m not sure an ageing Drinkwater is the answer either.
Dyche and Rigg have a defining couple of windows approaching. Let’s hope they succeed.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1488 times
Has Liked: 1847 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:02 pm

Marley Watkins at Brentford.Oli Norwood(again)a pacy wideman rightsided and another cm

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:53 pm

JohnDearyMe wrote:Interesting, didn't hear about that. Wonder if it was the transfer fee or wages that were the barrier then for the board?
Article from September 2019.....

Dyche knows that he will never be handed a war chest to go on a spending spree at Turf Moor and is fully versed in the challenges of working within the Burnley budget.

"It is always interesting trying to get money because that is a challenge," said Dyche who said that some targets identified in the summer were out of Burnley's price range.

"There have been a number of situations (over the summer) that we have been aligned with but we just haven't been given the resources to get it over the line," he said. "I am used to that and it is not new to me.
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

AshevilleNCClaret
Been Liked: 196 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by AshevilleNCClaret » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:58 pm

This might be wishful thinking but i think another go at victor camarassa might be worthwhile. Hes had 1 appearance on loan and dont think he will get in palace's starting XI. He would definitely slot in our starting lineup for me.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:23 am

So basically nothing we have a chance of signing.

Helmshore Claret
Been Liked: 32 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by Helmshore Claret » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:52 pm

Someone who is FIT enough to be considered for the matchday 18 and preferably 'tea-total.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3603 times
Has Liked: 1032 times

Post by jedi_master » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:11 pm

Ben Pearson from Preston is someone I have said we should have been signing for two years.

Could probably have had him for around £8m, would undoubtedly be £12-15m now, whether PNE would be willing to sell with the start they have had is another matter. Good player, aggressive (sometimes too much so, check his disciplinary record), good age and for me stands out at that level.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:28 pm

If we're going to keep shopping in this country hopefully we at least target some younger lads who are hungry and will improve, rather than the likes of Lennon and Crouch who are past it and coming for one last payday.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:11 pm

Hull have quite a few players who are out of contract in 2020, but the club have a 1 year option on most of them. Their current policy is also quite clear. If a player isn't willing to commit long term to the club they aren't getting any game time this year. Players in that position will be looking to move.

It seems like I'm in the minority, but I don't think Bowen would be a good signing for us. It is easy to look at his enviable goal scoring record and appreciate his wand of a left foot. However, he doesn't track back, offers little defensively and he drifts into the centre so frequently that he might as well be a striker.

The problem is that every time he goes in search of a scoring opportunity the team loses its shape which can cause real problems. When you combine that with his defensive irrelevancy it could be argued that he is partly responsible for the team conceding as many goals as he scores.

When we play Dwight on the right I'm always a little concerned. Fantastic player that he is when we put him on the right wing he is far less effective. He loses vital moments cutting back to get the ball onto his heavily favoured left peg or we lose our shape as he cuts deep into the middle.

Bowen is a luxury we can't afford to carry and Dwight can do a similar job. Personally, I would prefer a more rounded right winger if we add one in the next window. Out of the Hull players I would go for Robbie McKenzie if he is cheap.

Hull will definitely be looking to shift Henrikson, but I think that we should be looking to do better for our midfield.

I don't think we have a chance of signing Phillips. He won't leave Leeds when they are in contention for promotion and they wouldn't sanction his departure if he wanted to. At least not for the money we could afford to pay. Chasing after him late in the last window was nonsensical. The other clubs who were interested worked out early on that he wasn't going to move and shifted their focus onto other players. He might move in the Summer window, if Leeds hold true to form and bottle it, but it won't be to us.

The same reasoning applies to Maehle who we were rumoured to be chasing in the last window. He was another player that we had no chance of signing.

The likelihood of Genk selling their only real right back for less than £10m, late in the window, prior to competing in the Champions League was hugely unrealistic. We would have had to put in a bid of £15m-£20m to even make them stop and think. Everyone knows about him and while Southampton might not have the funds to bid on him in the next window plenty of clubs who are far richer than us do. If Genk are actually open to cashing in on him then he will go somewhere else, possibly Palace who have bags of cash to spend in the next window after selling their first choice right back Wan-Bissaka.

The click bait sites linked us to Ben " Mr Red Card " Pearson today. He is quite a good player when he manages to stay on the pitch for the full 90 minutes. I wouldn't gamble on him though and like one or two other players we could look at he is in a promotion chasing squad so his club will be reluctant to sell him in the next window. Then again, he has only picked up 4 yellow cards so far this season so they might welcome the chance to get rid of him for an inflated fee before he reverts to form.

If we are going to bring anyone in during the next window I think we will have to look further afield than the domestic market. Not because foreign players are better or cheaper, but simply because of the way things are unfolding in the Championship this season. I mentioned Eze as one of my picks in the last window, in respect to a swap deal for Wells, but that was while he was still hovering under the radar a little. He is gaining prominence by the day and QPR, who are currently just outside the playoff places, would want a pretty penny for him now.

The comments from Sean about targets being out of our price range were worrying, because it is part of the recruitment teams job to identify targets that ARE within our price range. Anyone can pick out a bunch of really good players that we can't afford, that aren't likely to be sold or unlikely to come here. However, all it does is waste valuable time, effort and resources. We might as well put Messi on our target list if chasing after unrealistic signings is what we are about.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:11 pm

AndyClaret wrote:Bentley was still pushing the "we don't have a European scouting network" line yesterday.
That is pathetic.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:14 pm

jrgbfc wrote:Is he not a bit young for us?
Who Dyche? probably about right.

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:18 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:That is pathetic.
To be fair you only have to look at his twitter feed to see the guy is an absolute chopper.

If what he is saying is true then it’s only a matter of time before we are back in the championship. If we aren’t prepared to look at more favourable markets now then we never will be in the near future unless a new board/management are in place.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:18 pm

I cant actually think of many if any British (based) players that we could / should or would be in for be it cost, style or character.

Dawson has gone to Watford (and shown how bad a signing he always would have been).

John O'Shea to boost the irish contingent along with Charlie Adam, Joe Allen and Ryan Shawcross to top up or Stoke collection.

Really need to be looking at young and / or overseas talent. And get value for money.

Our next out of the blue Andre Gray moment would be nice. But I cannot see it especially in January.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:19 pm

Right_winger wrote:To be fair you only have to look at his twitter feed to see the guy is an absolute chopper.

If what he is saying is true then it’s only a matter of time before we are back in the championship. If we aren’t prepared to look at more favourable markets now then we never will be in the near future unless a new board/management are in place.
100% agree on the second point. (First point don't do twotter)

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:30 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:I cant actually think of many if any British (based) players that we could / should or would be in for be it cost, style or character.
Completely agree, that is my assessment of things as well, but I could list a number of foreign players that we should be at least considering for the next window. I don't think any of them would be overly expensive, the chance of them being up for a move could be considered fairly good and the next window would be our best chance of signing them.

....... but our European Scouting isn't up to speed :(

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:41 pm

Right_winger wrote:If what he is saying is true then it’s only a matter of time before we are back in the championship.
Considering only the so-called 'Big six' clubs, plus Everton haven't been relegated in recent times then that's stating the bleeding obvious.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:32 pm

I refuse to believe that after 4 years at this level and all the money we've made we have no European scouting network. Has to be Bentley talking rubbish as per.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:13 pm

It’s perhaps time to up what we are prepared to pay, whilst targeting a substantial profit down the line. That should be our model / aim, alongside a few wise heads.

Kalvin Phillips has bags of potential and would likely make us a big profit, as Maddison will with Leicester. There are and have been a good few examples of players who might have offered both a short to medium term reward on the pitch followed by a big profit.

Zayek, Robertson, Maddison, Phillips plus others we’ve had no link (tenuous or otherwise with). It’s being prepared to push for some of these types of players, with a more long term aim, that I think should be the next step for us, but it is of course something of a calculated gamble.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:18 pm

Kalvin Phillips was never coming here or close to coming here.
This user liked this post: Richardsbfc

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:29 pm

Let's just enjoy christmas first, because all the speculation is meaningless, and nothing much ever happens.

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:06 am

If we sign anyone it will some old clogger from the championship who will “do a job” ie a Crouch type transfer. That’s how we roll under Dyche.

Richardsbfc
Been Liked: 66 times
Has Liked: 84 times

Post by Richardsbfc » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:14 am

Florian Neuhaus ...

In all seriousness, Bowen is someone that I like. Would like to see him in a clarets shirt. Similar type of player to Hendrick with more attacking threat. Wonder if the slight unrest at Derby could see us go back in for that Bogle, saw quite abit if him last season and thought he had quite a bit of potential.

How’s Harper at West Brom doing? He would certainly add some steel alongside some youth in the CM.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:55 am

Right_winger wrote:If we sign anyone it will some old clogger from the championship who will “do a job” ie a Crouch type transfer. That’s how we roll under Dyche.
If that's the case why are we still in the Prem after four seasons?

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:43 am

Jakubs Tash wrote:Article from September 2019.....

Dyche knows that he will never be handed a war chest to go on a spending spree at Turf Moor and is fully versed in the challenges of working within the Burnley budget.

"It is always interesting trying to get money because that is a challenge," said Dyche who said that some targets identified in the summer were out of Burnley's price range.

"There have been a number of situations (over the summer) that we have been aligned with but we just haven't been given the resources to get it over the line," he said. "I am used to that and it is not new to me.

Shame he has wasted soo much which never gets mentioned.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:45 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:Shame he has wasted soo much which never gets mentioned.

Aye it never gets mentioned, not even by you on any transfer thread ever

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:49 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:Shame he has wasted soo much which never gets mentioned.
It gets mentioned by you all the time !

And as far as I am aware when you and others are asked to name other teams in the premier league who have “wasted” less than us in the last 5 or 6 years and had our success there is never an answer (aside from Sheff United and Norwich who have only just gone up)

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:53 am

So why is he allowed to quote we have no money every window - I wish Garlick would respond in the paper with a reply

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:55 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:So why is he allowed to quote we have no money every window - I wish Garlick would respond in the paper with a reply

Can you show a direct quote where he has said " we have no money this window" or are you a liar

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:01 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:So why is he allowed to quote we have no money every window - I wish Garlick would respond in the paper with a reply
You make stuff up to reinforce your own view.
SD has never said that and Garlick has spoken about our financial position regularly.
A lengthy explanation on our accounts and why we do what we do would be wasted on you - as it has on all the other hundreds of threads you bring this up. Doesn’t matter what anyone says to you or tries to explain it you just ignore it and carry on slagging off the club.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:01 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Can you show a direct quote where he has said " we have no money this window" or are you a liar

Oh come on its every window - we are little burnley who cant compete but still spunk what we do have away with ease

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:02 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:Oh come on its every window - we are little burnley who cant compete but still spunk what we do have away with ease

Is that a no then ?

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:09 am

We'll need to re-sign Drinkwater or bring in another midfielder, and given form, there's a strong case for looking for a new full back - particularly if we could bring one in with real pace to give us a different dimension.

In terms of profile of those signings, nothing wrong with looking for up and coming signings. But they definitely don't tend to give us value for money, and I imagine we'll find better value looking for players who are slightly further on in their careers but who have stalled a bit for whatever reason. Cork, Westwood, Drinkwater, Rodriguez all great examples of this sort of signing in recent times and it's where the value is in the current market.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:10 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Is that a no then ?

You look them up if you are so bothered as they are there and even a quote above in this thread but take those specs off.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:15 am

AshevilleNCClaret wrote:This might be wishful thinking but i think another go at victor camarassa might be worthwhile. Hes had 1 appearance on loan and dont think he will get in palace's starting XI. He would definitely slot in our starting lineup for me.
He’s on a 1 year loan deal & they’ve got the option to buy.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:16 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:You look them up if you are so bothered as they are there and even a quote above in this thread but take those specs off.
If you think that quote from SD says we have no money then you need help

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:28 am

TVC15 wrote:If you think that quote from SD says we have no money then you need help

And then the same quote will be rolled out on 1st feb - we cant compete :shock:

Like someone stated above why since our first promotion 10 years ago has nothing been done about our foreign scouting - its laughable if it wasnt true but it is true.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:32 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:And then the same quote will be rolled out on 1st feb - we cant compete :shock:

Like someone stated above why since our first promotion 10 years ago has nothing been done about our foreign scouting - its laughable if it wasnt true but it is true.
Yet we are having our most successful period in 60 years - strange isn’t it ?
The other thing that is even stranger is how someone who dislikes the club as much as you obviously does decides to spend his own money and time watching Burnley (if you do actually bother going to the games)

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:41 am

TVC15 wrote:Yet we are having our most successful period in 60 years - strange isn’t it ?
The other thing that is even stranger is how someone who dislikes the club as much as you obviously does decides to spend his own money and time watching Burnley (if you do actually bother going to the games)
I just get fed up with the same bull every window when the money we have wasted could really have benefited the club and also why we never capitalised on finishing 7th and stood still.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:36 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:I just get fed up with the same bull every window when the money we have wasted could really have benefited the club and also why we never capitalised on finishing 7th and stood still.
Capitalising on finishing 7th?

What did you think we could achieve? Getting into the Champions league?

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:39 am

Spijed wrote:Capitalising on finishing 7th?

What did you think we could achieve? Getting into the Champions league?

No signing a better calibre of player :roll:

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:54 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:No signing a better calibre of player :roll:
And without rich owners how can we pay the fees AND start paying players far better wages?

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:17 am

Spijed wrote:And without rich owners how can we pay the fees AND start paying players far better wages?

By stop signing players who are not playing or are too old and no sell on value - top of my head with fees and wages you are talking about £50 million - do you get my drift yet ???

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:24 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:By stop signing players who are not playing or are too old and no sell on value - top of my head with fees and wages you are talking about £50 million - do you get my drift yet ???
What you are asking for has never ever been achieved by any other club in the history of football.

You are hoping for a transfer policy that simply cannot work.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:27 am

Spijed wrote:What you are asking for has never ever been achieved by any other club in the history of football.

You are hoping for a transfer policy that simply cannot work.

No all i am asking is a sensible one

Walters
Wells
Crouch
Drinkwater
Gibson
Vydra
Pieters
Jay

Add all these up and wages is a hell of a lot of money and we are no better for them being at the club after a massive outlay.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:32 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:By stop signing players who are not playing or are too old and no sell on value - top of my head with fees and wages you are talking about £50 million - do you get my drift yet ???
I know let’s win games rather than lose them and score goals not concede them
That’s about the level of debate you are offering up.

There is not a club who does not make “mistakes” in the transfer market.
So even if your £50m is correct for wages and transfer fees that is still a fraction of the half a billion plus Dyche has generated in sky money from the transfer strategy he has used - plus another £40m or £50m profit on player sales.

If you really want to add something to the debate tell us all a club in this league who has had less costly mistakes than SD has during his time in charge.