VAR At Everton

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Re: VAR At Everton

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:11 pm

Rileybobs wrote:What about grounds that don’t have a big screen?
Relegate them if the grounds aren't up to standard
This user liked this post: Bordeauxclaret

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1938 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:11 pm

Relegate them.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:16 pm

I wanted VAR, but it’s just getting worse.
How can these people be so incompetent. VAR is becoming a joke.

Watched on Sky and his leg looks ok after Sons tackle but they stop it before the next contact. Really sad but not a red.

DomBFC1882
Been Liked: 462 times
Has Liked: 2398 times

Post by DomBFC1882 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:17 pm

Which premier league club doesn't have one? Not being arsey its just a genuine question

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:18 pm

DomBFC1882 wrote:Which premier league club doesn't have one? Not being arsey its just a genuine question
Liverpool for one.
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:18 pm

I've just had a brainwave!

Stuff VAR, all we need is audience participation like a game show.
Thumbs up if it's a pen, down if not.

TV gold, that! :D :D

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:21 pm

DomBFC1882 wrote:Which premier league club doesn't have one? Not being arsey its just a genuine question
Liverpool and Man Utd are the only two clubs not to have one.
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1938 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:22 pm

Definitely relegate then then.
These 3 users liked this post: Tall Paul cricketfieldclarets tiger76

bobinho
Been Liked: 4069 times
Has Liked: 6535 times

Post by bobinho » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:30 pm

I was convinced yesterday that Tarks wasn't getting booked due to the body language of the referee.... he made no movement whatsoever to his pocket until the very last minute. Nearly a minute passed without anything happening at the incident site. Then he reached for the card. The cynical might say the event was being looked at during the delay and the ref was receiving instructions thru his earpiece. :shock:

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:32 pm

Cynical or paranoid?

bobinho
Been Liked: 4069 times
Has Liked: 6535 times

Post by bobinho » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:37 pm

Paranoia if you are directly involved, yes. If you aren't - and I assume you aren't - then looking at it from the outside and assuming something is happening we aren't aware of would make it cynicism.

So i'll stick with cynical.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18093 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:39 pm

Tell them to get one or be thrown out of the league :D

We had to spend multi millions on extra corner stands to meet regulations (totally correct too) and all the media infrastructure for Sky and TV coverage and the (bloody awful in my opinion) flashing Advertising hoardings around 3 sides of the ground.

So why shouldn't those without big screens not be made to have them too :D :D :D .......

Just thinking aloud like not criticising your comment Riley m8 ;)

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:40 pm

MACCA wrote:And its cost spurs 2 points minimum
Not really as Everton shouldve had a stone wall pen

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:42 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I don't watch rugby but it can't work like cricket because all decisions in cricket are objective. How the football authorities believe technology is suitable for subjective decisions is beyond me. It's just passing it from one referee's opinion to another's.
I said this from day one. And many didnt agree at the time. Its proved to be the farcical game and 'experience' ruining technology I knew it would be.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:46 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:Am I alone in thinking the ball came of Minas shoulder and not Allis arm.
That had to be Taylors reasoning but later in the game Sky showed an angle where you could clearly see Allis shirt ripple as the ball deflected off it.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:12 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:I said this from day one. And many didnt agree at the time. Its proved to be the farcical game and 'experience' ruining technology I knew it would be.
Spoken to MDWat a lot about VAR. He was very much against it initially but I said I’d reserve judgement, but then simple fact is that it’s a complete mess and is damaging the game.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5201 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:17 pm

One of the reasons we've got it is cos of managers like Dyche, fans like on here and the pundits constant blaming and scapegoating of refs whenever decisions dont go their way.

We reap what we sow im afraid
This user liked this post: JohnMcGreal

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:18 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:I wanted VAR, but it’s just getting worse.
How can these people be so incompetent. VAR is becoming a joke.

Watched on Sky and his leg looks ok after Sons tackle but they stop it before the next contact. Really sad but not a red.

Said this last week it’s the same incompetent refs still making mistakes even with the advantage of replays. Sure they enjoy being part of the ‘show’ and have one eye on that cosy seat in the sky sports studio when they retire.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:25 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:One of the reasons we've got it is cos of managers like Dyche, fans like on here and the pundits constant blaming and scapegoating of refs whenever decisions dont go their way.

'managers like Dyche'

Can you offer up names of managers you consider to be exempt?

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:31 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:'managers like Dyche'

Can you offer up names of managers you consider to be exempt?
I would say all managers at some point and most manager a lot of the time although I do see some managers who come a lot more gracious about decisions. I dont see all the other managers nearly enough to be sure either way but I see Dyche every week and he constantly bleats about poor decisions from refs so much so that he has been highlighted in the media at times as a bit of a moaner when it comes to refs

He comes across absolutely top notch in pretty much all other aspects of his personal and professional persona but in this area he is an A grade whinger

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:36 pm

I’ve thought for a while that the PL are deliberately trying to discredit VAR because they dont want it, and as the weeks go by the more I’m convinced.

Say what you like about “subjective decisions” but it worked far, far better than this at the World Cup. The problem is in the way the PL have chosen to implement it, not with VAR per se.
These 2 users liked this post: Rick_Muller Colburn_Claret

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1745 times
Has Liked: 344 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:52 pm

Var has shown I don’t know the rules of the game - everything from handballs, dangerous tackles to contact in the penalty area.

Different decisions every week, yet justified by a different rulings.

The game has suddenly become all technical and the only people how can now enjoy it are referees and experts. It’s not for me anymore.
This user liked this post: Wo Didi

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:56 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:Var has shown I don’t know the rules of the game - everything from handballs, dangerous tackles to contact in the penalty area.

Different decisions every week, yet justified by a different rulings.

The game has suddenly become all technical and the only people how can now enjoy it are referees and experts. It’s not for me anymore.
I think that, if the truth came out, you would find that officials do not enjoy the unnecessary interference which has been forced on them through media and fan pressure. Referee's decision used to be final and was accepted whether you liked it or not, the advent of VAR has taken this away and it will get worse when FIFA introduce their next wonderful changes!

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:06 pm

Today there was a handball, nobody appealed - VAR deliberated over it for 3 mins. It looked like a handball to me, that was my opinion after seeing the replays... anyway VAR decided because both players were challenging the ball so it wasn’t a penalty that no one asked for and killed the momentum of the Everton attack

Overall it was totally pointless.
This user liked this post: Wo Didi

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:21 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:One of the reasons we've got it is cos of managers like Dyche, fans like on here and the pundits constant blaming and scapegoating of refs whenever decisions dont go their way.

The answer is to improve the quality of the officials, no need for VAR if they get it right
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:23 pm

'gracious about decisions'

I'm guessing that's when they've probably won the game. If you see Dyche as responsible for the calamitous VAR that is your prerogative but I'm still not clear who the 'high profile' managers are that don't 'whinge' after a game that they haven't won.

mkmel
Been Liked: 1270 times
Has Liked: 2234 times

Post by mkmel » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:31 pm

Was it in the German League that they tried VAR found it wasn't beneficial and then kicked it into touch?

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:58 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:'gracious about decisions'

I'm guessing that's when they've probably won the game. If you see Dyche as responsible for the calamitous VAR that is your prerogative but I'm still not clear who the 'high profile' managers are that don't 'whinge' after a game that they haven't won.
Was blaming managers along with fans and along with VAR so dont get too excited about Dyche being mentioned in a negative context as its not the end of the world

Dyche was just an example and to me a good one because in every other aspect of the game he comes across so well but has constantly whinged about refs decisions.

Two managers who come to mind who Ive nver really seen bang on about refs are Wagner and Howe. Im sure theyve had a moan from time to time but not to the level that Dyche and some of the other managers do

Anyhow my point was way beyond the subject of Dyche and was the people whinging about Var need to look at themselves and the way Refs have been treated over the last 10 plus years to find out the rason we are in this mess

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:58 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Was blaming managers along with fans and along with VAR so dont get too excited about Dyche being mentioned in a negative context as its not the end of the world

Dyche was just an example and to me a good one because in every other aspect of the game he comes across so well but has constantly whinged about refs decisions.

Two managers who come to mind who Ive nver really seen bang on about refs are Wagner and Howe. Im sure theyve had a moan from time to time but not to the level that Dyche and some of the other managers do

Anyhow my point was way beyond the subject of Dyche and was the people whinging about Var need to look at themselves and the way Refs have been treated over the last 10 plus years to find out the rason we are in this mess
Poch always seems gracious in defeat to me even when var or other decisions go against him

There was that time he was radged against us but even then he apologised.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:07 pm

Just watched the Alli clear handball on Motd2 and see no reason why that was not given as a pen, except Tottingham Hotspur are one of the chosen.

Discrave a d demonstrates that there is a VAR secret society m, whose task is to maintain the top 6,cat all costs.

Swan Dyche - you thought it would bring fairness. Sadly, it has enhanced corruption.

If that had been Ben Mee's arm, a clear penalty.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:07 pm

Couldnt agree more.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:11 pm

'don't get too excited about Dyche being mentioned in a negative context as it's not the end of the world'

Indebted for the advice but at 67 years of age I'm aware the future's uncertain and the end is always near(well, Jim Morrison said so). I genuinely have no idea why VAR was introduced or even what it is supposed to achieve but I can't think that anyone as low down the 'pecking order' as a post match interviewee in today's football world could.muster such influence.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:18 pm

It doesn’t matter if there is no big screen... the refs just need to go and look at the monitor screen which is at the side of the pitch. Ridiculous that they aren’t doing that as opposed to leaving it to seemingly partially sighted idiots in the Stockley Park bunker.In the World Cup it happened regularly so I just don’t get it.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:32 pm

'it has enhanced corruption'

Even yesterday at Brammal Lane and our horrendous display it.was perfectly clear.that Hooper intended to win the favour of.the home supporters from the off. Some poor referees about but that won't improve till grass roots football becomes a.safer place to officiate.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:09 am

The refs are checking each others decisions so too much human failing coming into this.
Take that bit out of it and I think it would start to lead to more consistency.
Of course it's not the only thing that can be improved but it would be a good start.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12358 times

Post by Leisure » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:13 am

claptrappers_union wrote:Var has shown I don’t know the rules of the game - everything from handballs, dangerous tackles to contact in the penalty area.
Said the very same thing earlier today!

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 438 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:40 am

Agreed. The Premier League ought to have been stronger on this, and introduced lengthy touchline bans and fines for managers who try to bully referees through the medium of post-match interviews. Dyche has been one of the worst for this in recent years, up there with the likes of Hughes and Mourinho.

Let the refs referee the games, recognise the fact that they're all doing their best, and that they get the vast majority of decisions correct. Sometimes a bad call will go against you, sometimes it will go in your favour. That's football, and it's been that way since day dot.

VAR was brought in to fix something that wasn't really broken to start with, and has ended up making things worse. It's time for it to go, and time for managers to wind their necks in when they don't get the result they want.
This user liked this post: Devils_Advocate

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1090 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:32 am

Pimlico_Claret wrote:I know it's first season but it's turning into a complete farce. It will stop people going on if they don't sort it out quickly.
But it’s not it’s first season. It’s been up and running around the world for 4 or 5 years now. Did the fa not look at other leagues and work out how to get it right. It’s just ruining the game. I’ve stopped watching other games now. I just watch Burnley games. To be totally honest, VAR is fast killing my love of the game.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:28 pm

I hope Sean Dyche is aware of this new rule - where defenders are allowed to handle the ball if there are jumping up with another player.

Helmshore Claret
Been Liked: 32 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by Helmshore Claret » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:26 pm

FCBurnley wrote:Horrible injury compounded by horrible refereeing. And now Everton score which we don’t want
Is this this not the ref who we Burnley fans rate highly? He handed the initiative to Everton ; this is the sort of injustice which was meant to eliminated by the use of VAR . There was so much time for the correct decision to be made and Atkinson's initial reaction was the right one(a 'soft' yellow for Son).Let's keep VAR for offsides and for good or ill, let the ref do the rest.