Thoughts on how to protest VAR

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Texanclaret16
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Thoughts on how to protest VAR

Post by Texanclaret16 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:50 pm

Reading about VAR at Everton’s game following the Texans super win at Wemberrrrly first time I’ve been since Sheff Utd all those years back funny how we played them this week.... anyway onto more pressing matters

Someone mentioned on that thread about a full league protest got me thinking what could fans do to show there disapproval of VAR with so many games now on at different times a co ordinated protest would be hard but just a thought and I wouldn’t know where to start with this but.....

New Year’s Day or Boxing Day nearly all games kicking off at the same time how about all home clubs and supporting away fans don’t enter the ground until the 5th min yes missing the start of the game but with all the live coverage on BT and sky and Amazon would certainly make a stand if the tv coverage showed empty stands....

Others thoughts post on here see what people think is the best way to proceed.

MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Re: Thoughts on how to protest VAR

Post by MRG » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:55 pm

Grow up

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18093 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:59 pm

End this rubbish thread now :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:03 pm

We could all brick the screen.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:30 pm

Being in the elite group known as the super fans, I will not miss the first 5 minutes of the game.

I didnt spend 4 hours locked in a stadium in Athens against my will, to then miss 5 minutes of a game at the Turf by choice!

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:53 pm

Clear contender for stupidest thread of the year...

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:53 pm

I always miss the first 5 mins, I'm busy drinking my pint.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:01 pm

Its not as daft an idea as most are suggesting. Especially when its killing the game as we know it.
These 3 users liked this post: Pimlico_Claret MT03ALG dsr

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1745 times
Has Liked: 344 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:40 am

Missing the first 5 minutes doesn’t benefit anyone.

Booing the Premier League anthem as the players do the wanky handshake nonsense - that will cause attention. The Premier League won’t like that as that footage goes out worldwide
These 2 users liked this post: Rick_Muller IanMcL

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 507 times

Post by Claretforever » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:13 am

I see the “it’ll never work so we mustn’t try” crew are out in force. Most people appear to be against VAR than for it. The fans have to show their disapproval in some way, and the best way is when a game is on TV to the world. I’m not sure people would stay out of their seats so long though? Maybe just the entire ground booing every time the ref goes to VAR for a decision. That might catch on, especially if fans do it even when the decision is for their team.
This user liked this post: MT03ALG

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2619 times
Has Liked: 6416 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:23 am

I'm firmly in the camp of VAR technology is a good thing - the implementation using officials who have big team bias is what is wrong along with the necessity to "protect" the on field referee's decision. Rugby do it right, as demonstrated in the World Cup Final on Saturday.

EDIT - perhaps the Premier League should recruit VAR officials from abroad, those who wont have big team bias, and have experience of how it should work.
These 2 users liked this post: Hibsclaret Bosscat

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:29 am

I don't agree with the OP's sentiments but i'm not sure why the post is getting such a hostile response from some people.
This user liked this post: MT03ALG

DomBFC1882
Been Liked: 462 times
Has Liked: 2398 times

Post by DomBFC1882 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:36 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:I don't agree with the OP's sentiments but i'm not sure why the post is getting such a hostile response from some people.
I agree with you for once Turtle :lol:

Texanclaret16

Post by Texanclaret16 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:40 am

Good to see those who hate VAR and hate my idea (everyone has a right to a opinion) coming up with ideas and thoughts of there own....

That was meant to be the purpose of the thread to have people’s thoughts on what could be done as a collective group of fans by all clubs. My idea may be $hit but at least it was an idea.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:45 am

claptrappers_union wrote:Missing the first 5 minutes doesn’t benefit anyone.

Booing the Premier League anthem as the players do the wanky handshake nonsense - that will cause attention. The Premier League won’t like that as that footage goes out worldwide
Sounds good. But every team on the continent boos the champions league tune. Doesn't make a jot of difference. Especially when they all want to be in it!

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:46 am

Texanclaret16 wrote:Good to see those who hate VAR and hate my idea (everyone has a right to a opinion) coming up with ideas and thoughts of there own....

That was meant to be the purpose of the thread to have people’s thoughts on what could be done as a collective group of fans by all clubs. My idea may be $hit but at least it was an idea.
Nothing. Because the people in charge don’t give a flying fish about the fans and never will as long as they are generating millions through TV rights deals and foreign ownership back handers.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:47 am

Perhaps we could import some refs from other leagues. Who have no bias whatsoever.

Or even better. Train up and make it appealing for ex pros to become officials. Pay them what they pay players. There is enough money to do so.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:54 am

A protest is reasonable, however, it is not possible for a stadium of people to enter at the same time. It would take many minutes, as everyone is trying to do the same movement. Many would be able to fill the concourse but many would be doing the turnstile crawl.

How about.....
All fans at all grounds, do the Poznan at a given time, like we do claps for folk?

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:40 pm

Texanclaret16 wrote:Good to see those who hate VAR and hate my idea (everyone has a right to a opinion) coming up with ideas and thoughts of there own....

Dont attend is the only way to make people sit up and take note.
Whether thsts leaving at HT, or not attending at all.

People could always turn their backs to the pitch and boo when a VAR decision is being made.

Sadly I dont think anything the fans do would help change it

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2619 times
Has Liked: 6416 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:51 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Perhaps we could import some refs from other leagues. Who have no bias whatsoever.

Or even better. Train up and make it appealing for ex pros to become officials. Pay them what they pay players. There is enough money to do so.
there's actually some logic to employing and training people who aren't or haven't been involved in the game to be VAR officials. The remit for the decisions should be objective and they should be trained as such. I'd love to have a go at it to be fair, where can I apply...?

EDIT - found this https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/17/how-to-b ... e-9426347/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sausage
Been Liked: 637 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by Sausage » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:52 pm

Get a massive banner with the following message:

Football - Killed by VAR

1888-2019

RIP

Texanclaret16

Post by Texanclaret16 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:22 pm

MACCA wrote:Dont attend is the only way to make people sit up and take note.
Whether thsts leaving at HT, or not attending at all.

People could always turn their backs to the pitch and boo when a VAR decision is being made.

Sadly I dont think anything the fans do would help change it
Does that mean the real fans have lost the game then if so it’s a sorry state of affairs but might be right.

Looking through other comments I think if it was to be a protest it would have to be by all clubs and do the same sky would screen it as they love anything that’s causing controversy within reason...

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:23 pm

I have a better idea. Let VAR get out of Beta mode and improve.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:37 pm

Texanclaret16 wrote:Does that mean the real fans have lost the game then if so it’s a sorry state of affairs but might be right.

Looking through other comments I think if it was to be a protest it would have to be by all clubs and do the same sky would screen it as they love anything that’s causing controversy within reason...
Well the top 7 or 8 wouldn't be bothered really as its them it mainly benefits, then what percentage of the rest can really be arsed?

Fans don't want to rid the game of cheats, so what hope is there for a stand against the odd suspect decision over the weekend.

People say use ex players pundits etc for VAR, but watching MOTD is just as bad, they make it up depending on which team/player the decision is for or against.

Same as referees, fans, pundits, players and managers, everyone has the favourites and preferences.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:57 pm

You'd have more impact getting the armchair fans to turn off for 5 mins, as they're the ones that VAR is aimed at.

Best of luck.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Nonayforever » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:47 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:You'd have more impact getting the armchair fans to turn off for 5 mins, as they're the ones that VAR is aimed at.

Best of luck.
This is the main reason the ref's don't go towards the touchline TV monitor. That would be of an interest to the armchair fan as it's an action that could be worth watching. That action would distract from the 2 X 30 second ads that are going to start appearing on TV & computer screens.

rufus lumley
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by rufus lumley » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:01 pm

Luddites required you will have to serve a 2 year prison sentence but will go down in history as a saviour of the beautiful game.

chekhov
Been Liked: 804 times
Has Liked: 1513 times

Post by chekhov » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:13 am

MACCA wrote:Well the top 7 or 8 wouldn't be bothered really as its them it mainly benefits, then what percentage of the rest can really be arsed?
I’m sorry I don’t get this ‘big team bias’. What about Firmino’s disallowed goal against little club Villa? And where is the statistical evidence?
I think it is just the small club mentality that everyone is against us cos no one likes us etc.
VAR is sh1t by the way.
This user liked this post: Darnhill Claret

Acting Claret
Been Liked: 95 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by Acting Claret » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:27 am

Sausage wrote:Get a massive banner with the following message:

Football - Killed by VAR

1888-2019

RIP

Football only began in 1992.
These 2 users liked this post: Rick_Muller Buxtonclaret

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:00 pm

chekhov wrote:I’m sorry I don’t get this ‘big team bias’. What about Firmino’s disallowed goal against little club Villa? And where is the statistical evidence?
I think it is just the small club mentality that everyone is against us cos no one likes us etc.
VAR is sh1t by the way.
There is no statistical evidence. However, the evidence of my own eyes tell me that if we were wearing a Man U or Liverpool shirt at Sheffield and had the 3 shouts for a penalty that we had either 1, 2 or all 3 would have been given, certainly not none. That would be by the ref on the field actually giving the decision in the first place or the non decision being overturned by the VAR.

The same thing with Wood’s ‘foul’ at Leicester and the assault on Barnes in the other home game at the Jimmy Mac end. It is also feasible that a Man U or Liverpool player does not get penalised for the Wolves pen.

Apart from all that there is no big team bias.

How many points this can cost us by the end of the season is anyone’s guess. I naively thought that decisions like the Watford and Manu offsides last season and the Saints assault on Barnes type issues would be ironed out this season but it’s actually worse.

You could argue that we have already dropped 2 points at Wolves, a point at Leicester and either 1 or 3 points at Sheffield if we get the second minute pen that changes the entire game. I can’t remember anything in our favour that has cost other teams points yet....
These 3 users liked this post: Rick_Muller chekhov Buxtonclaret

chekhov
Been Liked: 804 times
Has Liked: 1513 times

Post by chekhov » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:12 pm

Interesting points Hibs. However though I wasn’ t at Sheffield to witness how rubbish we were I would suggest that you are stretching the argument to say that we were done out of points.

ChorltonCharlie
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:44 pm

Big team bias is a funny one. Think there’s plenty of evidence so far this season that big teams are also the victim of some bizarre decisions that arguably with VAR should have gone a different way. Until they actually get consistency in how VAR is working, it’s going to be difficult to say whether there really is unconscious bias. Also worth noting how biased we are as fans, and are quick to forget where we came out on the side of the decision. Westwood’s challenge in the Brighton game was one of those where I’m sure many Brighton fans are still saying he should have been sent off and 3 points to them.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:36 pm

ChorltonCharlie wrote:Big team bias is a funny one. Think there’s plenty of evidence so far this season that big teams are also the victim of some bizarre decisions that arguably with VAR should have gone a different way. Until they actually get consistency in how VAR is working, it’s going to be difficult to say whether there really is unconscious bias. Also worth noting how biased we are as fans, and are quick to forget where we came out on the side of the decision. Westwood’s challenge in the Brighton game was one of those where I’m sure many Brighton fans are still saying he should have been sent off and 3 points to them.
Westwood’s was never a sending off. As for Coleman for Everton who could easily have gone earlier than he did. There’s nobody has more claret and blue specs than me but I don’t even remember the Brighton fans doing that one to death and considering they had Joey Barton hung, drawn and quartered the other season I suspect that tells you all you need to know. Either way sendings off do not always equate exactly to results where penalty and goal decisions affect the match outcome directly

ChorltonCharlie
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:40 pm

It was reckless challenge. I didn't scour the Brighton forums to see what they thought. My point was merely that some would say that VAR could have come to a different conclusion, just like the challenges of Coleman and Adams against us. All bar one of the ones you mention that could have gone our way are subjective and I've seen people argue the case both ways. The only one that did seem to definitely be wrong that VAR didn't correct is Barnes against Norwich, and that didn't affect the outcome of the game.

Petersa
Been Liked: 201 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by Petersa » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:12 pm

The biggest problem that seems to have come out of all this is the diving which has now got beyond a joke and is far worse this season. The Everton Spurs game on Sunday was a disgrace mainly, though not exclusively, due to Everton. Mr Silva did it at Watford and has taken it to Everton, proving to me at any rate that this is coached and practised. Richarlison I lost count at 8 the number of blatant incidents he was involved in. Andre Gomes is another, although I would not have wished the fate that befell him as retribution.
The refs are are under ridiculous pressure with this behaviour and will make mistakes because of it l am genuinely sympathetic to them over this. VAR or not unless something is done soon the game is doomed. Why can't clubs be charged retrospectively for failing to control their players
Pundits have spent hours this season talking about the new goalkick law but I can't remember anything about diving. Almiron at Newcastle has I think been booked 3 times this season for diving why is nothing done or even mentioned by Sky etc.
However if you converse about football to anyone diving comes up in seconds and people are heartily sick of it.
VAR I don't think is too bad the Burnley decisions at Leicester and Wolverhampton did incense me admittedly but VAR I suppose will only kick in on the marginal decisions anyway.
To refer to an earlier poster though can someone organise a protest about the nonsense before every game. Anthems and kids everywhere! I'm surprised players don't have have a valid childminders certificate these days. As someone who saw his first match at Turf Moor nearly 60 years ago I just want to watch the football.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18093 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:11 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:I don't agree with the OP's sentiments but i'm not sure why the post is getting such a hostile response from some people.
Well I never I find myself ageeeing on something with Exploding Tortoise wonders never cease (checks outside window :shock: to see if a couple of Pigs are circling the house at 300 feet..... in a biplane)

Edit my earlier post saying end the ridiculous thread was not a hostile criticism of the OP's sentiments if the Odious Tortoise tries to say it was :D :D which it probably will

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:35 am

Work out a better computer program.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:12 am

FactualFrank wrote:I have a better idea. Let VAR get out of Beta mode and improve.
i have a better idea, let them test the beta in the Scottish league to iron (bru) out the issues. Then, when they've stopped ruining the game re-introduce it

edit: I also like BOT's idea of bricking the screen :D