European car hire

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

European car hire

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:30 am

Can anyone recommend someone to use? Just about to book with Europcar but then read some horrendous reviews on trustpilot…

Only hired in America before and that was fine with no issues or hidden costs.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Re: European car hire

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:53 am

Where you going bud? I know in Spain now they changed the law so that you have to register a credit card with them (not a bank card) to even get one. Don't know if it is a Europe wide law. I've had difficulties recently because I no-longer have a credit card.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:55 am

houseboy wrote:Where you going bud? I know in Spain now they changed the law so that you have to register a credit card with them (not a bank card) to even get one. Don't know if it is a Europe wide law. I've had difficulties recently because I no-longer have a credit card.
Cyprus. Will probably be more rules there as we are going to visit the North. May end up doing public transport for that though.

I think it is common but unsure if its law with cards. Also have to pay a big deposit (or pay a daily waiver of around £12).

Mayoclaret
Been Liked: 219 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Mayoclaret » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:06 am

Just a thought but in terms of paying a large daily premium for "excess cover" with the Hire Company - there area number of insurance companies who offer annual "excess cover" for around £50 for the year. Have done this on advice of family and friends and saved a fortune as a regular hirer. I nearly always use Enterprise and would never hire with Hertz (long story!)
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets evensteadiereddie

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:11 am

houseboy wrote:Where you going bud? I know in Spain now they changed the law so that you have to register a credit card with them (not a bank card) to even get one. Don't know if it is a Europe wide law. I've had difficulties recently because I no-longer have a credit card.
Spain car hire companies are just RIP off merchants.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:29 am

Mayoclaret wrote:Just a thought but in terms of paying a large daily premium for "excess cover" with the Hire Company - there area number of insurance companies who offer annual "excess cover" for around £50 for the year. Have done this on advice of family and friends and saved a fortune as a regular hirer. I nearly always use Enterprise and would never hire with Hertz (long story!)
Thanks for the headsup. Will look at that.

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 309 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:32 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Cyprus. Will probably be more rules there as we are going to visit the North. May end up doing public transport for that though.

I think it is common but unsure if its law with cards. Also have to pay a big deposit (or pay a daily waiver of around £12).
I usually just travel supermarket it go with the cheapest. Used Gold cars Hertz and various others. Probably done it a dozen times and never had any issues.

Not sure they actually take a big deposit, but just need a credit card with a grand limit on it.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1979 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:50 am

See if this helps.
https://www.autoeurope.com/driving-information/cyprus/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:54 am

Winstonswhite wrote:I usually just travel supermarket it go with the cheapest. Used Gold cars Hertz and various others. Probably done it a dozen times and never had any issues.

Not sure they actually take a big deposit, but just need a credit card with a grand limit on it.
No they just hold the money. Its the reviews on europcar thats put me off them. Obviously need to be smart and video / photo the car with date and timestamps.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:29 pm

Mayoclaret wrote:Just a thought but in terms of paying a large daily premium for "excess cover" with the Hire Company - there area number of insurance companies who offer annual "excess cover" for around £50 for the year. Have done this on advice of family and friends and saved a fortune as a regular hirer. I nearly always use Enterprise and would never hire with Hertz (long story!)
I'd agree with this. I use Questor but there are a few other options out there. Generally worth it if you're hiring for more than about 5 days a year as the annual insurance is about the same as 5 days of the insurance that the car hire company will push.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:29 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Cyprus. Will probably be more rules there as we are going to visit the North. May end up doing public transport for that though.

At least they drive on the left so that's easy. :D
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets IanMcL

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:48 pm

IanMcL wrote:Spain car hire companies are just RIP off merchants.
Ordinarilly I would agree but we found an amazing little place on a back street in Fuengirola (we weren't staying there we were about 20 miles away but that was the nearest decent size town for hire). It's called Inmo Coches and the young guy there was brilliant (with his long hair he looked like he'd just fallen out of a rock band). We couldn't find a car anywhere due to the time of year but he said they had one coming in in about two hours so we went off and came back later. The car wasn't much to look at but mechanically was sound. 90 Euros for 2 weeks and they even took us back to Malaga airport for free at the end. I had forgot my licence as well and he asked if I had anyone at home. To cut a long story short my daughter Snap-chatted a copy of my driving licence which he printed out and gave to me saying that was legally fine. I've kept their number on my phone ever since.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1486 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:55 pm

Go on the area you're looking at on Google maps and search car hire. Click on them and read the reviews.

Used some "local" ones before with good reviews with everything included for about a quarter of the price of big named companies

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:04 pm

Check the small print about what’s needed when you pick it up.

We got one with goldcar which is part of eurocar.

Thought I got a good deal booking in the UK

When I got to a Tenerife they wanted £1100 deposit on my credit card or £350 fully comp insurance. I paid the insurance as I guessed they would be checking for every scratch to claim against me.

When I got to the car it would have been hard to know if I had scratched it was dented and scratched on nearly every panel.

I have booked next year with CICAR.
More expensive up front but I know they are not going to rip me off when I get there. There’s is the normal 300 euro deposit.

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1036 times
Has Liked: 965 times

Post by MrTopTier » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:09 pm

Try Alamo car hire.

Not sure about the North/South issue as we did not head over there.

Still cards, with a 850 euro deposit or 12 euro a day waiver.

barracuda
Been Liked: 20 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by barracuda » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:00 pm

Based on my experiences – I don’t see variation being down to the company. More by location or individuals. I’ve used Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz, Sixt and all been fine. I go purely on the deal being offered. The only place I’ve had poor service and problems has been Manchester Airport Rental Village – with 3 of those companies I mention giving me grief. Good experience in Europe apart from that. So reckon you will be ok in Cyprus whichever you choose

Btw – when you book, join that company’s membership scheme. Even if it's one off booking, there’s a good chance of getting a car upgrade - or at the very least a half decent smile when you check in

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:08 pm

barracuda wrote:Based on my experiences – I don’t see variation being down to the company. More by location or individuals. I’ve used Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz, Sixt and all been fine. I go purely on the deal being offered. The only place I’ve had poor service and problems has been Manchester Airport Rental Village – with 3 of those companies I mention giving me grief. Good experience in Europe apart from that. So reckon you will be ok in Cyprus whichever you choose

Btw – when you book, join that company’s membership scheme. Even if it's one off booking, there’s a good chance of getting a car upgrade - or at the very least a half decent smile when you check in
thanks. fair comment on the location bit. The bad reviews were predominantly for Europcar UK.

chipbutty
Been Liked: 134 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by chipbutty » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:58 pm

Definitely take out your own insurance. As mentioned above uestor, my doesn't work! Or icarhireinsurance.com.
Pay around £50 for 12 months and if you have a bump, or they say you have scratched the vehicle, you pay ion your credit card and claim back on your insurance. I`ve used these policies for about 5 years with no problems

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:19 am

MrTopTier wrote:Try Alamo car hire.

Not sure about the North/South issue as we did not head over there.

Still cards, with a 850 euro deposit or 12 euro a day waiver.

Was there about four years ago. If you're heading off to, say, Famagusta - a resort in the Turkish area - you have to reinsure your car at the border. It was about 15 Euros if I recall correctly. Well worth it, though, a fascinating trip and a great insight into the crazy world of politics and warfare.

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 559 times
Has Liked: 1393 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:41 am

Another recommendation for Googling the local hire car operations and also for taking out the annual excess insurance; we've been with insurance4car hire for the last two or three years (We probably hire cars 10-12 times a year, perhaps 2-3 months in total s it really is a bargain) the couple of times that we've had a claim they've refunded us the cost without quibble. We also feel that the picky at times seemingly fraudulent damage charges levied by the car hire companies that we've heard about are invariably levied on people who don't have either the hire company's daily insurance, or their own annual insurance. Oh, if you are going with one of the big players, then check their online price before enquiring at their local office; we've had several instances where they've wanted twice & 3x times the price that they are offering cars for through the comparison/booking sites. If it happens, just walk out, book/pay for it at the nearest internet cafe, then walk back in and collect the keys; the crazy thing being that the comparison site must be taking a cut too, so they're actually getting even less!

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:27 pm

If you need a Taxi in Paphos, Taxi4U, run by Mario is reliable, punctual and reasonably priced. Tel No 00357 99 030 826 E Mail mariosandreou107@gmail.com. Mention your a Burnley fan, he might remember me. He supports Olympiakos, like they all do in the South. Taxis are available all around the centre, but as some in Burnley, they don’t look like locals and see you as a tourist, for easy pickings.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:47 pm

Bfc wrote:If you need a Taxi in Paphos, Taxi4U, run by Mario is reliable, punctual and reasonably priced. Tel No 00357 99 030 826 E Mail mariosandreou107@gmail.com. Mention your a Burnley fan, he might remember me. He supports Olympiakos, like they all do in the South. Taxis are available all around the centre, but as some in Burnley, they don’t look like locals and see you as a tourist, for easy pickings.
Thats appreciated thanks. Sounds like my olympiakos amd red star shirts need packing.