Lewis Hamilton.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Lewis Hamilton.

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:50 am

I really don't get it. Why is Lewis Hamilton so unpopular generally? He is one of our greatest ever sporting heroes without a doubt and yet he seems to be generally disliked, even on this site this morning there is no (as far as I can find) mention of his amazing 6th world championship. This man is a living legend and yet people seem to pour scorn on him or even ignore his achievements. Only one man in the history of Formula One has a better record and Hamilton may equal that next year. And is young enough to excel it eventually.

I am definitely missing something here.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Re: Lewis Hamilton.

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:56 am

If formula 1 is a sport then all drivers are amateur sportsmen.
This user liked this post: Lord Beamish

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:59 am

Maybe because he chosen to make his home Switzerland to avoid taxes
Maybe because he comes across as arrogant
Maybe because the sport is so dominated by how good your car is that people don’t see the differential between drivers as they do in other sports where it’s much clearer and far less reliant on the equipment etc

Not sure really - from my point of view I just don’t like the sport.

No doubt his achievements are amazing when you look at the history of the sport and where he now stands in the all time list but is there a sport that has changed as much as motor racing in terms of technology or other changes in safety etc ? I can’t think of one and that makes comparison of his achievements to even 10 or 20 years ago even more difficult....let alone to the likes of Senna, Lauda or the drivers back in the 1960s.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6363 times
Has Liked: 8707 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:10 am

We see him after a race and that is an adrenalin filled moment.

We do not see the every day chap.

He does not come across as personable in those moments.

His achievement is phenomenal.

We will be knighted, eventually.

I thought he lived in Monaco?

Perhaps he doesn't really live anywhere.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2633 times
Has Liked: 6448 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:19 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:If formula 1 is a sport then all drivers are amateur sportsmen.
the same analogy for anyone kicking a tin can down the road applies to football...

For the record, F1 drivers are some of the fittest individuals there are on the planet - they have to be because of the forces their body is exposed to whilst driving. I know your comment was tongue in cheek though, and it did make me chuckle a little :)

Caballo
Been Liked: 421 times
Has Liked: 433 times

Post by Caballo » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:21 am

Immensely talented fella, could possibly end his career as the best ever, though I'd argue that Surtees' achievement was greater but times were different then.

RMutt
Been Liked: 373 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by RMutt » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:23 am

I reckon I can trump your Lewis Hamilton with Jonathan Rea.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:28 am

I think hes just a bit droll.

Not an F1 fan per se but an incredible achievement.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:30 am

The problem with F1 is that races can be quite boring with many cars that reach the first corner first going on to win the race.

There is little excitement with lack of overtaking, thus little for the crowds to get excited about.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2596 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:37 am

You can't tell people to be enthused about a sport. If you like watching cars race around and think Lewis Hamilton is great, that's cool. Don't get mad if most people aren't that fussed though.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2461 times
Has Liked: 1992 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:46 am

He already is the greatest of all time. Schumacher should have had the title taken off him when he deliberately crashed Damon Hill out of the title race.
I don’t get this apathy/hatred either, the same with Andy Murray, it’s a British disease to decry champions. Lard arses sat in front of their tvs slagging of superstars for putting their everything into being winners.
As said higher up the thread they are some of the fittest athletes out there. This was regularly proved on the old Superstars tv show.
These 4 users liked this post: houseboy cricketfieldclarets Imploding Turtle tiger76

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:56 am

I like tennis and I like Andy Murray and appreciate he is one of the greatest British sportsman of all time (if not the greatest). I also like Murray a lot as a person.
People don’t like Murray are either because they don’t like tennis or this silly English v Scotland rivalry.

I appreciate Hamilton is very good at what he does - just don’t like him or the sport. There are many many F1 fans who have no interest in football or any sport - there is no right of wrong here
....and comments about lard arses sat in front of their TV is just daft. I’m still playing football every week aged 53 and I have zero interest in Hamilton or F1....but I have no beef whatsoever with people who love the sport.

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:12 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:This was regularly proved on the old Superstars tv show.
they really need to bring this back - awesome TV show from my childhood. I know they tried to resurrect it previously but they need to try again.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:24 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:they really need to bring this back - awesome TV show from my childhood. I know they tried to resurrect it previously but they need to try again.
Great show but can you imagine insurers allowing their million pound a month footballers to risk taking the sort of tumble Keegan did from his bike back in the day.
These 2 users liked this post: Rick_Muller houseboy

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:54 pm

NottsClaret wrote:You can't tell people to be enthused about a sport. If you like watching cars race around and think Lewis Hamilton is great, that's cool. Don't get mad if most people aren't that fussed though.
I'm not really a fan and rarely watch it but I just believe in credit where it is due. I don't really like rugby that much but I wanted England to win on Saturday.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:56 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:they really need to bring this back - awesome TV show from my childhood. I know they tried to resurrect it previously but they need to try again.
Agreed.

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:58 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:Great show but can you imagine insurers allowing their million pound a month footballers to risk taking the sort of tumble Keegan did from his bike back in the day.
they could attract retired pro's for the show though from all sporting disciplines. It could be a medal of honour for their sport to represent the rest of them :D

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 1517 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:30 pm

You're trying hard with this post to trigger that guy who doesn't like him so you can shout "racist" to improve your social credit score aren't you. After some more free rides on the mass transit?
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:40 pm

tarkys_ears wrote:You're trying hard with this post to trigger that guy who doesn't like him so you can shout "racist" to improve your social credit score aren't you. After some more free rides on the mass transit?

Unless i'm missing something I believe you're the first one to mention racism here.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6488 times
Has Liked: 2911 times

Post by Steve1956 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:46 pm

He will beat Schumacher' s records with ease,and to be fair I can never remember Lewis having to resort to cheating to win any of his titles....unlike Schumacher

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by LeadBelly » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:07 pm

I have no great interest in motor sport but sometimes watch the first few laps and last few laps of Grad Prix- if there's nowt much else doing on the Sundays that they're on tv.
Hamilton seems to be an outstandingly good driver and has maintained that level for a run of years with probably more success to come, I cant see how anybody would think he isnt brilliant at what he does.
As a person he seems OK and doesnt really court controversy, maybe a bit bland but at least he doesnt appear to be an ego on legs and slagging off other people. His recent leanings towards being an eco-warrior are ridiculous though given his profession.

I cant see any good reason why anybody wouldn't like him but there are more likable UK sportsmen and women around (few, if any, more successful though).

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 977 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:13 pm

Lost any interest in Lewis Hamilton when he stated that he was moving to Switzerland primarily to avoid the media gaze and then promptly started dating a Pussycat Doll.

Has recently been sounding off about going vegan to Save The Planet whilst acknowledging that Formula 1 Racing involves countless numbers of Air Miles transporting teams and cars all around the globe.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18215 times

Post by Bosscat » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:57 pm

Where he lives...
What he eats...
Who he sleeps with...
His politics...
His tax exile status...

ALL MEAN F' ALL.... jesus wept

Lewis Hamilton is the best driver since Michael Schumaker :D :D :D and the best british driver since Jackie Stewart hung up his F1 driving gloves

House is spot on with the OP

Close the thread

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:01 pm

Bosscat wrote:Where he lives...
What he eats...
Who he sleeps with...
His politics...
His tax exile status...

ALL MEAN F' ALL.... jesus wept

Lewis Hamilton is the best driver since Michael Schumaker :D :D :D and the best british driver since Jackie Stewart hung up his F1 driving gloves

House is spot on with the OP

Close the thread
There's a big difference between respecting someone and liking them. He comes across as a tosser of a person, but he's successful. The OP questioned why people don't like him which I think is obvious with how he is.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:17 pm

tarkys_ears wrote:You're trying hard with this post to trigger that guy who doesn't like him so you can shout "racist" to improve your social credit score aren't you. After some more free rides on the mass transit?
^^^^^^^^Triggered Racist Alert^^^^^^^^

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:22 pm

I have watched F1 since the 80’s. Senna, Prost, Mansell. Mansell used to muscle that car round. I remember Patrese complaining the Williams were giving Mansell better equipment. Mansell promptly jumped in his car and was still two seconds a lap quicker in Patrese’s car.
I had a break for a couple of years when Ratsenburger was killed on the Friday and then Senna on the Sunday. That put me off for a while.
But those drivers used to get out of the car exhausted as they were driving flat out.

I still watch today but they are managing fuel, managing tyres and it’s not really racing like it was.

On Lewis, I get it, he has made a few PR gaffs.

Tries dressing like a gangster dripping in gold at times. He is a talented driver who can drive a car when in clean air very fast, but a racer, not as good as a lot of people.

What many people may not know is many of the current world champions owe that to Adrian Newey, they have been world champions in cars he designed. Mercedes and Lewis have been the first for long time who have beaten his cars.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:27 pm

Adrian Newey
OBE
Adrian Newey 2011 Sebastian Vettel in Yokohama.jpg
Newey in 2011
Born 26 December 1958 (age 60)
Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, England
Nationality British
Alma mater Repton School
University of Southampton
Employer Red Bull Racing
Known for Formula One aerodynamicist
Adrian Newey, OBE (born 26 December 1958) is a British Formula One engineer. He is currently the chief technical officer of the Red Bull Racing Formula One team.
Newey has worked in both Formula One and IndyCar racing as a race engineer, aerodynamicist, designer and technical director and enjoyed success in both categories. Considered one of the best engineers in Formula One, Newey's designs have won numerous titles and over 150 Grands Prix. With ten Constructors' Championships he has won more than any other designer and is the only designer to have won constructors' titles with three different Formula One teams, while six different drivers have won the Drivers' Championship driving Newey's designs. After designing championship-winning Formula One cars for Williams F1 and McLaren, Newey moved to Red Bull Racing in 2007, his cars winning the Formula One drivers' and constructors' championships consecutively from 2010 to 2013.[1] Newey designs also won the 1985 and 1986 CART titles.[2]

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:32 am

I've always assumed those that dislike him are those that aren't really interested in the sport, or fans of his rivals.

In my opinion he's very likeable, without ego like much of the Mercedes team despite their immense success.
As for his race craft, he certainly isn't renowned at all for being a clean air driver.. That award should go to the likes of Button, Rosberg or Vettel.

He is the best there is with overtaking in the sport.
If you are the best, you get the best car and if you are fast in the best car you stay out of trouble. You can't win unless you're in the best car, I'm not sure anyone has ever managed otherwise.. Not in the last 20 years anyway.

Driving now may not mean you get blisters from shifting a broken gear stick but that doesn't mean it's any less demanding. There was technology used in the past that aided drivers more such as active suspension and traction control.

Nigel Mansells championship winning car had active suspension so I don't get how someone can think racing those days was harder.

As for avoiding tax, who exactly with similar kind of money doesn't do that?

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2320 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:02 am

nobody has a clue who the best fast car driver is.

until everyone gets the opportunity to drive one of the things round a racetrack...rather than the tiny number that have done.

hamilton is just the best of a small handful of likeminded ndividuals.