Ignorance of Hidden Disabilities - Paddy McGuinness

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Re: Ignorance of Hidden Disabilities - Paddy McGuinness

Post by IanMcL » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:22 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:I've followed this thread with interest but I don't recall anyone claiming that you need to have a blue badge to use the disabled toilets.
:D

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:00 pm

There are far too many Blue Badges given out. They should be for mobility only. I say this as a partially deaf person (I wear two hearing aids) who actually qualifies for one and I won't take one because being deaf DOESN'T BLOODY STOP ME FROM WALKING. I'm fit and active and work out 3 times a week with damn heavy weights but I qualify for a blue badge. How wrong is that? Also my wife works for social services and the amount of money wasted on mobility cars that are used mainly by healthy relatives is beyond scandalous. And why do many parking places say blue badge holders free? They can park virtually anywhere and many of them are better off than people working (not all of course but many are).

The whole disability awards system needs to be looked at closely and seriously revamped. I believe totally in helping those who need it and if it weren't for the scams we could give the ones who really need it more.
This user liked this post: Top Claret

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:04 pm

FactualFrank wrote:You should know by now, I don't think you're exactly the most intelligent person on the planet.

And I don't wish to repeat myself, so you can either take it on board or disagree. I really don't care. What you've just said, as always, is a heap of shite.
Shocking post.

ChorltonCharlie
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:48 pm

houseboy wrote:There are far too many Blue Badges given out. They should be for mobility only. I say this as a partially deaf person (I wear two hearing aids) who actually qualifies for one and I won't take one because being deaf DOESN'T BLOODY STOP ME FROM WALKING. I'm fit and active and work out 3 times a week with damn heavy weights but I qualify for a blue badge. How wrong is that? Also my wife works for social services and the amount of money wasted on mobility cars that are used mainly by healthy relatives is beyond scandalous. And why do many parking places say blue badge holders free? They can park virtually anywhere and many of them are better off than people working (not all of course but many are).

The whole disability awards system needs to be looked at closely and seriously revamped. I believe totally in helping those who need it and if it weren't for the scams we could give the ones who really need it more.
Whilst it's good that you don't take one for the sake of it, it's a shame that despite having a disability of your own you don't empathise with others who may find that their non-mobility based disability does mean that a blue-badge helps them manage that disability. There's good examples in this thread of why hidden disabilities qualify for blue badges.
These 3 users liked this post: Jakubs Tash BertiesBeehole Rick_Muller

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:53 pm

ChorltonCharlie wrote:Whilst it's good that you don't take one for the sake of it, it's a shame that despite having a disability of your own you don't empathise with others who may find that their non-mobility based disability does mean that a blue-badge helps them manage that disability. There's good examples in this thread of why hidden disabilities qualify for blue badges.
Excellent post ChorltonCharlie.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:01 pm

ClaretDiver wrote:Are you serious??? My ex had a massive stroke and could only walk about 5 steps...needed a wheelchair and we were denied!!

A stroke in most circumstances these days is temporary and with the right care the person can live a next to normal life. A disability is a life long event in which case the badge should be issued

Top Claret

Post by Top Claret » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:05 pm

ChorltonCharlie wrote:Whilst it's good that you don't take one for the sake of it, it's a shame that despite having a disability of your own you don't empathise with others who may find that their non-mobility based disability does mean that a blue-badge helps them manage that disability. There's good examples in this thread of why hidden disabilities qualify for blue badges.
Their are also plenty of examples in this thread why blue badges shouldn't be dished out willy nilly, has in Housboys case

Fretters
Been Liked: 1034 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by Fretters » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:15 pm

houseboy wrote:There are far too many Blue Badges given out. They should be for mobility only. I say this as a partially deaf person (I wear two hearing aids) who actually qualifies for one and I won't take one because being deaf DOESN'T BLOODY STOP ME FROM WALKING. I'm fit and active and work out 3 times a week with damn heavy weights but I qualify for a blue badge. How wrong is that? Also my wife works for social services and the amount of money wasted on mobility cars that are used mainly by healthy relatives is beyond scandalous. And why do many parking places say blue badge holders free? They can park virtually anywhere and many of them are better off than people working (not all of course but many are).

I imagine plenty of partially deaf people would want to avoid walking through a car park where they'd struggle to hear approaching vehicles.

The thing that really boils my blood is folk abusing the parent and child spaces :oops:

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:18 pm

Thanks for the reply and you are right to a point, it's just that I don't actually see myself as disabled, I think that is the problem. Why does anyone who is not mobility disabled need to have a parking spot at the front door of a shop? I must admit due to time constraints that I haven't read every post on this so apologies if there have been examples. The situation with mobility vehicles I raised is also a difficult one. Example: the people my wife works with are adults with learning difficulties and some have mobility problems and some have not, but most are rightly eligible for a mobility car and that is fine, no problem because many of these people can be a danger to themselves in public places, which means they have a blue badge, again that is fine. The problem arises, and it is not infrequent, that although the carers/parents have mobility vehicles they send the person concerned to the day centre in transport provided and then use the car for themselves instead of bringing the person in. One even ran a business from the back of an adapted vehicle but used the transport to send the person in, and actually complained one day when the transport couldn't make it.

I fully support helping the people who need it, no-one more so than me, but the level of abuse in the disability system needs looking at in order to make sure that the ones who do need it get it, and plenty of it.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:20 pm

My wife got dog's abuse for parking in disabled slot with her blue badge as over 10 yards she was great. The problem then was the rest to get from A to B. Thankfully her hip replacement ended the need for the blue badge. Some incredibly fit looking people have dreadful mobility problems. As ever there are those who abuse these things including parking in parent and child areas with 14 year old kids on hand.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:21 pm

Factual Frank has done right off the alt-right deepend recently. Full of hatred nowadays.

ClaretDiver
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by ClaretDiver » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:38 pm

Top Claret wrote:A stroke in most circumstances these days is temporary and with the right care the person can live a next to normal life. A disability is a life long event in which case the badge should be issued
You have no idea! Such an ignorant comment!

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:46 pm

In America the majority of blue badge holders are obese. Impossible to know if they are disabled .

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:27 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:Not sure on Spain, I get very annoyed when I'm struggling for parking & I see all the unoccupied disability spaces in the supermarket (everywhere) even at night I won't use them, do we need so many free spaces not being used, I'm sympathetic to people who genuinely have disabilities, it does make you wonder if lazy people who can't be arsed to walk are getting them undeservedly.
I know for certain you have never applied for one. My son suffers a rare genetic brain disorder. He cant walk 100 yards. He is 8 but has a mental age of around 2 with a bonus interest in running straight towards moving cars. He has seizures and autistic like meltdowns. You cant imagine how much evidence we needed to provide to get his blue badge. If people are misusing the badge of a relative then they should be ashamed but the thought that lazy people get blue badges is ridiculous.

1HappyClaret
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Post by 1HappyClaret » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:29 pm

Just to clarify that a mobility car can be used without the disabled person being in it if it benefits the disabled person. This means that a parent who has a disabled child can use the car to do the shopping or other tasks that will benefit the child. They also can have business insurance on them if the parent has to travel between sites for work purposes. This is because it is deemed to a benefit to the child because it is how the family earns income to support the family.

Be careful before you judge people using mobility cars.
These 2 users liked this post: cloughyclaret Longside

Longside
Been Liked: 9 times
Has Liked: 40 times

Post by Longside » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:31 pm

I have a heart condition, that means my heart is not beating correctly, therefore not pushing oxygen around my body correctly, To look at I'm able body, but I cannot walk more than 20 yards without needing to stop for air, I use a blue badge is that ok?

Top Claret

Post by Top Claret » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:36 pm

I have a motorised wheel chair I wish to get shut off. Yours free of charge, brand new 3 years ago

Top Claret

Post by Top Claret » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:43 pm

Longside wrote:I have a heart condition, that means my heart is not beating correctly, therefore not pushing oxygen around my body correctly, To look at I'm able body, but I cannot walk more than 20 yards without needing to stop for air, I use a blue badge is that ok?
To bloody right you are. My father in law is like you he is 81 and has a pace maker and a defibrillator fitted. He like you is very proud and has only the last few months received his blue badge

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:44 pm

andyh wrote:I know for certain you have never applied for one. My son suffers a rare genetic brain disorder. He cant walk 100 yards. He is 8 but has a mental age of around 2 with a bonus interest in running straight towards moving cars. He has seizures and autistic like meltdowns. You cant imagine how much evidence we needed to provide to get his blue badge. If people are misusing the badge of a relative then they should be ashamed but the thought that lazy people get blue badges is ridiculous.
I'm sorry to hear about your son & regarding the application to get a blue badge I'm not sure about it as I don't have 1 & hopefully I'll never need 1, my main gripe was really to do with all the free disability bays not being used when people are struggling for parking.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:21 pm

1HappyClaret wrote:Just to clarify that a mobility car can be used without the disabled person being in it if it benefits the disabled person. This means that a parent who has a disabled child can use the car to do the shopping or other tasks that will benefit the child. They also can have business insurance on them if the parent has to travel between sites for work purposes. This is because it is deemed to a benefit to the child because it is how the family earns income to support the family.

Be careful before you judge people using mobility cars.
You aren't saying that an able-bodied person can use the disabled spaces just because he or she has a disabled child at home. Are you?

1HappyClaret
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Post by 1HappyClaret » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:23 am

No they can’t use the disabled bays when the disabled person is not with them and when using them the disabled person cannot stay in the car. I was saying that a motability car can be used without the disabled person in it.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:02 am

1HappyClaret wrote:No they can’t use the disabled bays when the disabled person is not with them and when using them the disabled person cannot stay in the car. I was saying that a motability car can be used without the disabled person in it.
I see. Thanks.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2314 times
Has Liked: 2692 times

Post by fatboy47 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:05 am

i always use the disabled bog if its open (and not in use).

lots of leg room..cleaner than the regular stalls..lots of room to stretch out/read the paper/check phone/amuse oneself/make discreet phone calls etc.....no stench or noise from adjacent stalls or unsolicited attention from shifty middle-aged men...sink to spruce up before leaving.

not sure why anyone wouldnt use them before the regular jakes tbh.