The 20's

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Post Reply
cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 18104
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 6921 times
Has Liked: 9744 times

The 20's

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:11 pm

Hard to believe in less than two months it will be the 20's - 'again'. Scary to think some posters on here possibly may have been around in the last 20s. And some of us definitely have family who were.

Its actually equally scary to think its 20 years since the turn of this century.

What has changed in those 20 years that we take for granted and that kids now wouldn't believe we didn't have in 1999?

The internet was already around but I will start with smartphones...

What has changed in that 100 years? An even scarier question...

jrgbfc
Posts: 4057
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:30 pm
Been Liked: 1006 times
Has Liked: 100 times

Re: The 20's

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:28 pm

I still think of the 90s as not that long ago! Scary to think it's over 20 years.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Burnley1989
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:19 am
Been Liked: 489 times
Has Liked: 560 times

Re: The 20's

Post by Burnley1989 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:36 pm

Scares me to death! I’ve sat with my phone in my hand all night watching TV, going to make that a New Years resolution to knock social media etc on the head throughout the week completely.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

FactualFrank
Posts: 19075
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:46 am
Been Liked: 5328 times
Has Liked: 9103 times
Location: Leeds

Re: The 20's

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:37 pm

Will we all be able too see things clearer?

Royboyclaret
Posts: 2348
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 12:57 pm
Been Liked: 805 times
Has Liked: 310 times

Re: The 20's

Post by Royboyclaret » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:38 pm

The 1920/21 season didn't exactly start well.......we lost the first three league games.

Then went on a 30 game unbeaten run before finishing as First Division Champions under the brilliant captaincy of Tommy Boyle.
Last edited by Royboyclaret on Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 3 users liked this post: Rick_Muller cricketfieldclarets Ashingtonclaret46

Imploding Turtle
Posts: 20121
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:12 am
Been Liked: 5482 times
Has Liked: 2540 times
Location: Burnley, Lancs

Re: The 20's

Post by Imploding Turtle » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:38 pm

jrgbfc wrote:I still think of the 90s as not that long ago! Scary to think it's over 20 years.
It's not.

Imploding Turtle
Posts: 20121
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:12 am
Been Liked: 5482 times
Has Liked: 2540 times
Location: Burnley, Lancs

Re: The 20's

Post by Imploding Turtle » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:38 pm

Yet. :P

ElectroClaret
Posts: 10482
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:07 pm
Been Liked: 2772 times
Has Liked: 1438 times

Re: The 20's

Post by ElectroClaret » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:43 pm

Blue Monday by New Order is 36 years old. :|
More than a third of a century.

For me, stats like that put things into perspective.
These 2 users liked this post: Rick_Muller Holtyclaret

Rick_Muller
Posts: 4821
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:53 am
Been Liked: 2157 times
Has Liked: 5192 times
Location: -90.000000, 0.000000

Re: The 20's

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:46 pm

How does it feel...?
These 2 users liked this post: ElectroClaret cricketfieldclarets

tim_noone
Posts: 13307
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:12 pm
Been Liked: 3380 times
Has Liked: 11827 times

Re: The 20's

Post by tim_noone » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:00 pm

ElectroClaret wrote:Blue Monday by New Order is 36 years old. :|
More than a third of a century.

For me, stats like that put things into perspective.
Debbie Harry is in her 75th year and pushing 95 in 20 years time.....omfg!
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Pimlico_Claret
Posts: 1091
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:08 am
Been Liked: 503 times
Has Liked: 585 times

Re: The 20's

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:04 pm

tim_noone wrote:Debbie Harry is in her 75th year and pushing 95 in 20 years time.....omfg!
But you still would :P
These 4 users liked this post: FactualFrank tim_noone cricketfieldclarets basil6345789

FactualFrank
Posts: 19075
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:46 am
Been Liked: 5328 times
Has Liked: 9103 times
Location: Leeds

Re: The 20's

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:06 pm

Pimlico_Claret wrote:But you still would :P
:lol:

claretburns
Posts: 903
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:27 pm
Been Liked: 161 times
Has Liked: 87 times
Location: Halifax

Re: The 20's

Post by claretburns » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:10 pm

Some 18 year olds weren't alive when 9/11 happened, this I heard at work last week made me feel old.

Imploding Turtle
Posts: 20121
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:12 am
Been Liked: 5482 times
Has Liked: 2540 times
Location: Burnley, Lancs

Re: The 20's

Post by Imploding Turtle » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:11 pm

claretburns wrote:Some 18 year olds weren't alive when 9/11 happened, this I heard at work last week made me feel old.
Some 18 year olds when 9/11 happened aren't alive today.

tim_noone
Posts: 13307
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:12 pm
Been Liked: 3380 times
Has Liked: 11827 times

Re: The 20's

Post by tim_noone » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:33 pm

Pimlico_Claret wrote:But you still would :P
Barring Mondays yes....

dsr
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:47 pm
Been Liked: 2896 times
Has Liked: 1255 times

Re: The 20's

Post by dsr » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:51 pm

Elvis Presley celebrates his 85th birthday in January. It's 20 years since he retired from working in that chip shop! :o
These 3 users liked this post: houseboy Bosscat Clarets4me

cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 18104
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 6921 times
Has Liked: 9744 times

Re: The 20's

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:02 pm

claretburns wrote:Some 18 year olds weren't alive when 9/11 happened, this I heard at work last week made me feel old.
:o

Here’s another. Dwight McNeil wasn’t born when we signed Glen Little.
These 2 users liked this post: Holtyclaret basil6345789

mdd2
Posts: 4036
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:47 pm
Been Liked: 1182 times
Has Liked: 529 times

Re: The 20's

Post by mdd2 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:21 pm

Still got TB and rickets!!

Hipper
Posts: 2683
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:33 pm
Been Liked: 551 times
Has Liked: 401 times

Re: The 20's

Post by Hipper » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:40 pm

Some 18 year olds weren't around when Kennedy was assassinated.

FCBurnley
Posts: 3933
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:56 pm
Been Liked: 871 times
Has Liked: 473 times

Re: The 20's

Post by FCBurnley » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:58 pm

My Dad would have been 100 on Feb 28th 2020. He was born at 11.55 pm on Feb 28 in a leap year ! Huge Clarets fan.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Holtyclaret

Bfc
Posts: 644
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:28 am
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Re: The 20's

Post by Bfc » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:13 pm

FCBurnley, I can still picture your dad Les, like it was yesterday. My dad would’ve been 100 later this month.
This user liked this post: FCBurnley

gandhisflipflop
Posts: 2074
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:05 pm
Been Liked: 702 times
Has Liked: 514 times
Location: Costa del Padihamos beach.

Re: The 20's

Post by gandhisflipflop » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:43 pm

My grandad would have been 100 on may 30th 2020, a day before my birthday. Some of the comments regarding the timescales on here is frightening. I remember 9/11 as clear as day, and still think it was only a few years ago.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

houseboy
Posts: 5495
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1591 times
Has Liked: 1263 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: The 20's

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:11 pm

mdd2 wrote:Still got TB and rickets!!
Hope you get better soon.

houseboy
Posts: 5495
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1591 times
Has Liked: 1263 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: The 20's

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:15 pm

It's 35 years since I joined my main band - most of the venues we played don't exist now. The real scary thing is that if I live long enough in another 35 years I'd be 100. FFS who started this thread? ;)

Bosscat
Posts: 8284
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:51 am
Been Liked: 2499 times
Has Liked: 6620 times

Re: The 20's

Post by Bosscat » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:44 pm

FCBurnley wrote:My Dad would have been 100 on Feb 28th 2020. He was born at 11.55 pm on Feb 28 in a leap year ! Huge Clarets fan.
My Dad would have been 103 on 5th October... we lost him age 68 in 1985 to cancer.... lost Mum in 2013 aged 91 .... Losing Dad to Lung Cancer (a great incentive to quit smoking) and a brother to Bowel Cancer (only 57)...

Both of these prompted both me and my other Brother (who now comes to Burnley with me) to say boll**ks to working and retire early (luckily I have a decent pension pot to utilise :D and thanks to the changes in pension rules... it made it possible....) he quit age 55 and me at 58 years old..... so we might enjoy at least a few years of retirement :D

Both my Mum and Dad saw the changes in travel that had shrunk the world immensely.

My Grandmother on my Mums side had come to England to be with my Grandfather in 1912 by Sea (a journey of several months at the time....) Granddaddy had travelled to New Zealand in 1908 and met and married my Grandmother before returning to the UK to complete his theology degree and become a vicar.
You can hardly imagine how it must have felt to the pair of them, separating like that as newlyweds to spend almost 2 years and 12000 miles apart..... letters taking months to arrive etc etc

Mum and Dad both travelled to New Zealand to see relatives they had never met in the early 80's after Dad retired ... thankfully he got to do the things he wanted in his 2 years of reasonably healthy retirement.

Dad always used to tell me when I was a young boy, how he used to laugh at thoughts of men in going into space and flying around the world in the comic books and stories of the time... he loved the fact he had lived to see men walk on the Moon.... Eventually he actually flew to the other side of the World... he talked about that trip untill the day he died.

Yes the generation before mine had seen amazing things happen in the world in Technology etc etc that we all take for granted now.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 18104
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 6921 times
Has Liked: 9744 times

Re: The 20's

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:51 pm

houseboy wrote:It's 35 years since I joined my main band - most of the venues we played don't exist now. The real scary thing is that if I live long enough in another 35 years I'd be 100. FFS who started this thread? ;)
If its any consolation I thought you were closer to my age :shock:

cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 18104
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 6921 times
Has Liked: 9744 times

Re: The 20's

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:54 pm

Bosscat wrote:My Dad would have been 103 on 5th October... we lost him age 68 in 1985 to cancer.... lost Mum in 2013 aged 91 .... Losing Dad to Lung Cancer (a great incentive to quit smoking) and a brother to Bowel Cancer (only 57)...

Both of these prompted both me and my other Brother (who now comes to Burnley with me) to say boll**ks to working and retire early (luckily I have a decent pension pot to utilise :D and thanks to the changes in pension rules... it made it possible....) he quit age 55 and me at 58 years old..... so we might enjoy at least a few years of retirement :D

Both my Mum and Dad saw the changes in travel that had shrunk the world immensely.

My Grandmother on my Mums side had come to England to be with my Grandfather in 1912 by Sea (a journey of several months at the time....) Granddaddy had travelled to New Zealand in 1908 and met and married my Grandmother before returning to the UK to complete his theology degree and become a vicar.
You can hardly imagine how it must have felt to the pair of them, separating like that as newlyweds to spend almost 2 years and 12000 miles apart..... letters taking months to arrive etc etc

Mum and Dad both travelled to New Zealand to see relatives they had never met in the early 80's after Dad retired ... thankfully he got to do the things he wanted in his 2 years of reasonably healthy retirement.

Dad always used to tell me when I was a young boy, how he used to laugh at thoughts of men in going into space and flying around the world in the comic books and stories of the time... he loved the fact he had lived to see men walk on the Moon.... Eventually he actually flew to the other side of the World... he talked about that trip untill the day he died.

Yes the generation before mine had seen amazing things happen in the world in Technology etc etc that we all take for granted now.
Amazing story. Especially about the letters and waiting. This generation couldnt wait 5 minutes :shock:

FCBurnley
Posts: 3933
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:56 pm
Been Liked: 871 times
Has Liked: 473 times

Re: The 20's

Post by FCBurnley » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:53 pm

Bfc wrote:FCBurnley, I can still picture your dad Les, like it was yesterday. My dad would’ve been 100 later this month.
Gonna have a party on his Birthday. Its nice that you can remember him. I remember your Mom Jean ? more than your dad. Hope you are well.

houseboy
Posts: 5495
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1591 times
Has Liked: 1263 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: The 20's

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:46 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:If its any consolation I thought you were closer to my age :shock:
Dare I ask CC?

tim_noone
Posts: 13307
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:12 pm
Been Liked: 3380 times
Has Liked: 11827 times

Re: The 20's

Post by tim_noone » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:52 pm

houseboy wrote:Dare I ask CC?
85.....

cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 18104
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 6921 times
Has Liked: 9744 times

Re: The 20's

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:56 pm

tim_noone wrote:85.....
:lol: :lol:

cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 18104
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 6921 times
Has Liked: 9744 times

Re: The 20's

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:56 pm

houseboy wrote:Dare I ask CC?
I wasn't alive when you started your band :shock:

houseboy
Posts: 5495
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1591 times
Has Liked: 1263 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: The 20's

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:00 pm

Bosscat wrote:My Dad would have been 103 on 5th October... we lost him age 68 in 1985 to cancer.... lost Mum in 2013 aged 91 .... Losing Dad to Lung Cancer (a great incentive to quit smoking) and a brother to Bowel Cancer (only 57)...

Both of these prompted both me and my other Brother (who now comes to Burnley with me) to say boll**ks to working and retire early (luckily I have a decent pension pot to utilise :D and thanks to the changes in pension rules... it made it possible....) he quit age 55 and me at 58 years old..... so we might enjoy at least a few years of retirement :D

Both my Mum and Dad saw the changes in travel that had shrunk the world immensely.

My Grandmother on my Mums side had come to England to be with my Grandfather in 1912 by Sea (a journey of several months at the time....) Granddaddy had travelled to New Zealand in 1908 and met and married my Grandmother before returning to the UK to complete his theology degree and become a vicar.
You can hardly imagine how it must have felt to the pair of them, separating like that as newlyweds to spend almost 2 years and 12000 miles apart..... letters taking months to arrive etc etc

Mum and Dad both travelled to New Zealand to see relatives they had never met in the early 80's after Dad retired ... thankfully he got to do the things he wanted in his 2 years of reasonably healthy retirement.

Dad always used to tell me when I was a young boy, how he used to laugh at thoughts of men in going into space and flying around the world in the comic books and stories of the time... he loved the fact he had lived to see men walk on the Moon.... Eventually he actually flew to the other side of the World... he talked about that trip untill the day he died.

Yes the generation before mine had seen amazing things happen in the world in Technology etc etc that we all take for granted now.
Lovely post Boss.
Quotes from my Dad:
What’s this rubbish? - when I was watching Monty Python.
What’s this rubbish? - ..........................The Prisoner.
What’s this rubbish - ........................... just about anything.
Nothing, just think what you’ll get if you do something wrong - when asked why he’d just whacked me round the head.
If anyone tries to bully you hit them, you might lose the battle but you’ll win the war - best advice he ever gave me.
Don’t be so bloody soft - whenever he thought I was being.
Hardly a day passes that I don’t miss him. He died at the age I am now (actually about 6 months younger).
These 3 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Bosscat Clarets4me

Cirrus_Minor
Posts: 2190
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:20 pm
Been Liked: 541 times
Has Liked: 513 times

Re: The 20's

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:03 pm

Next year my dad will have been born 100 years ago.

Funkydrummer
Posts: 6000
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:50 pm
Been Liked: 2192 times
Has Liked: 1485 times
Location: Burnley

Re: The 20's

Post by Funkydrummer » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:07 pm

My dad was 92 yesterday, bless him.

Mum will be 90 in January, bless her.

Looks like I may have a while to go yet, hopefully.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Bosscat

cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 18104
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 6921 times
Has Liked: 9744 times

Re: The 20's

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:08 pm

Grandmother is 89 sounds like she is a spring chicken!
This user liked this post: Funkydrummer

mikeS
Posts: 936
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:21 am
Been Liked: 288 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Re: The 20's

Post by mikeS » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:55 pm

Bought my first mobile phone -a Nokia in July 1999. In those days it was just a phone, and everyone in the house shared at it. whenever one of us left the house, the phone went along with them. Ah happy days.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Royboyclaret
Posts: 2348
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 12:57 pm
Been Liked: 805 times
Has Liked: 310 times

Re: The 20's

Post by Royboyclaret » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:16 pm

On further examination the 1920's was a more than interesting decade in BFC's history. We began as Champions of Division One in 1920/21, ended being relegated in 1929/30 and in between had our record home attendance of 54,775 in 1924, sold one of our most famous ever players Bob Kelly to Sunderland for a massive fee back then of £6,500 in 1925 and saw the demise of the legendary half-back line of Halley, Boyle & Watson.

The Turf itself has changed dramatically in these 100 years but the original Brunshaw Road Stand was already there as was the terracing at the Cricket Field End, but the Longside and Bee Hole End were still petty much ash covered.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Hipper
Posts: 2683
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:33 pm
Been Liked: 551 times
Has Liked: 401 times

Re: The 20's

Post by Hipper » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:36 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Hard to believe in less than two months it will be the 20's - 'again'. Scary to think some posters on here possibly may have been around in the last 20s. And some of us definitely have family who were.

Its actually equally scary to think its 20 years since the turn of this century.

What has changed in those 20 years that we take for granted and that kids now wouldn't believe we didn't have in 1999?

The internet was already around but I will start with smartphones...

What has changed in that 100 years? An even scarier question...
I know we've always had our worries - for me the threat of a nuclear holocaust was the main one in the 60s and 70s - but that was at least theoretically under our control. Now though we are facing something we have no control over - Climate Change. Now that is scary.

I'm fortunate though in that I've had some sort of life at 66 years old. The people I sympathise with are the likes of Macca's daughter - see her here:

http://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboar ... =2&t=42968" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What future are we leaving for her?
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 18104
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 6921 times
Has Liked: 9744 times

Re: The 20's

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:32 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:On further examination the 1920's was a more than interesting decade in BFC's history. We began as Champions of Division One in 1920/21, ended being relegated in 1929/30 and in between had our record home attendance of 54,775 in 1924, sold one of our most famous ever players Bob Kelly to Sunderland for a massive fee back then of £6,500 in 1925 and saw the demise of the legendary half-back line of Halley, Boyle & Watson.

The Turf itself has changed dramatically in these 100 years but the original Brunshaw Road Stand was already there as was the terracing at the Cricket Field End, but the Longside and Bee Hole End were still petty much ash covered.
Royboy, I don't know how or even why you know everything you do but this forum is much better for it!

cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 18104
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 6921 times
Has Liked: 9744 times

Re: The 20's

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:34 pm

Hipper wrote:I know we've always had our worries - for me the threat of a nuclear holocaust was the main one in the 60s and 70s - but that was at least theoretically under our control. Now though we are facing something we have no control over - Climate Change. Now that is scary.

I'm fortunate though in that I've had some sort of life at 66 years old. The people I sympathise with are the likes of Macca's daughter - see her here:

http://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboar ... =2&t=42968" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What future are we leaving for her?
I hear that. But I for one am actually optimistic about the future. For two reasons.

1 - Technology is rapidly improving on a near daily basis. So we should have the technology to help address many of the issues we face
2 - I am really positive about the youth coming through today. They get a lot of stick (every generation of youth does) but I think they want to and will make a huge difference to the future and wont accept some of the **** we have done to the world!

basil6345789
Posts: 1490
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:22 pm
Been Liked: 274 times
Has Liked: 1160 times

Re: The 20's

Post by basil6345789 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:05 am

mdd2 wrote:Still got TB and rickets!!
And leprosy has been back in Burnley for at least 10 years.

cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 18104
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 6921 times
Has Liked: 9744 times

Re: The 20's

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:07 am

basil6345789 wrote:And leprosy has been back in Burnley for at least 10 years.
When did we sign him?

tim_noone
Posts: 13307
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:12 pm
Been Liked: 3380 times
Has Liked: 11827 times

Re: The 20's

Post by tim_noone » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:31 am

Cirrus_Minor wrote:Next year my dad will have been born 100 years ago.
My Nanna was Born in the 1800s I knew her well...it's probable I have and will have family member Spanning 4 centuries that I've known get your heads round that!! :shock:
Last edited by tim_noone on Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Bullabill
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:40 am
Been Liked: 122 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Re: The 20's

Post by Bullabill » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:08 am

We sat around worrying that the 'Millenium Bug' was going to be a huge disaster and bring chaos to the world. Now we have to worry about global warming.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Clarets4me
Posts: 3121
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:31 pm
Been Liked: 1483 times
Has Liked: 632 times
Location: Ightenhill,Burnley

Re: The 20's

Post by Clarets4me » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:46 am

tim_noone wrote:My Nanna was Born in the 1800s I knew her well...it's probable I have and will have family member Spanning 4 centuries.get your heads round that!! :shock:
Might need to check your maths there, we've all got family members going back centuries ....

I know what you mean ..... my Grandmother was born in 1895, and died 6 months short of her 100th birthday. She met my son ( born 1986 ), so if he lives to be 90, ( he's a clean living lad ! ), and his great grand-children meet him in 2076, then they'll have known someone, who met a person born 181 years previously. It's like a child today meeting a relative who knew his Grannie, born in 1838, the year after Queen Victoria ascended the throne !!

Extraordinary !!

tim_noone
Posts: 13307
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:12 pm
Been Liked: 3380 times
Has Liked: 11827 times

Re: The 20's

Post by tim_noone » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:07 am

Clarets4me wrote:Might need to check your maths there, we've all got family members going back centuries ....

I know what you mean ..... my Grandmother was born in 1895, and died 6 months short of her 100th birthday. She met my son ( born 1986 ), so if he lives to be 90, ( he's a clean living lad ! ), and his great grand-children meet him in 2076, then they'll have known someone, who met a person born 181 years previously. It's like a child today meeting a relative who knew his Grannie, born in 1838, the year after Queen Victoria ascended the throne !!

Extraordinary !!
No maths involved....4 centuries is my Lot.

Post Reply