Thessaloniki ... anyone been ?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Thessaloniki ... anyone been ?

Post by Stalbansclaret » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:35 pm

Going there for the weekend when it’s the international break. If anyone on here has been it’s just the usual request for any Inside tips on what to do, where to drink, where to eat etc.
This user liked this post: Pstotto

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Re: Thessaloniki ... anyone been ?

Post by SGr » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:31 pm

Yes went before Athens in the Europa League last year.

Kept strictly near the waterfront and was only there a day but I visited the White Tower - which is the main museum, quite interesting and relatively inexpensive.

Quite a lot of places to eat and drink around that area - for drinks I went to a place called Rover (I know). Bit of a mix between pub and cocktail joint, enjoyed it. There are several such bars in the backstreets near Rover, couple of Irish themed places naturally as well.
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

karatekid
Been Liked: 1103 times
Has Liked: 316 times

Post by karatekid » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:03 pm

Stay away from the Irish bars and British style pubs and treat yourself to a visit to a Greek taverna. Soutzoukakia and a bottle of Alpha beer is the way to go. Yiamos.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:59 pm

I want flew there for the Istanbul game. Nice little city. A weekend at this time of year will be long enough. Nice down the front with some cool bars and the boat trips around the bay are free you just pay for your drinks.

Some of the food in the back street areas was incredible. Highly recommended.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:34 pm

karatekid wrote:Stay away from the Irish bars and British style pubs and treat yourself to a visit to a Greek taverna. Soutzoukakia and a bottle of Alpha beer is the way to go. Yiamos.
This.

Why go abroad to drink or eat in British/Irish style pubs? Might as well stay in your local Spoons.

Find a good taverna, away from the obvious tourist traps, and sample the local cuisine. I'll have a meze platter starter followed by lamb kleftiko and a decent bottle of chilled Retsina, please.
These 2 users liked this post: karatekid Pstotto

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:43 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:This.

Why go abroad to drink or eat in British/Irish style pubs? Might as well stay in your local Spoons.

Find a good taverna, away from the obvious tourist traps, and sample the local cuisine. I'll have a meze platter starter followed by lamb kleftiko and a decent bottle of chilled Retsina, please.
While it’s not my cup of tea personally. Also understand why some people do that. Many go for the weather, blue skies and cheap ale. And aren’t bothered for the culture.

Not my idea of a holiday but...
This user liked this post: Billy Balfour

Billy Balfour

Post by Billy Balfour » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:01 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:While it’s not my cup of tea personally. Also understand why some people do that. Many go for the weather, blue skies and cheap ale. And aren’t bothered for the culture.

Not my idea of a holiday but...
A while back, I remember reading about an East Lancs couple who went running to the local press because their Benidorm hotel had too many Spanish people staying in it.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:48 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:A while back, I remember reading about an East Lancs couple who went running to the local press because their Benidorm hotel had too many Spanish people staying in it.
:lol: brilliant

See it as a blessing these pubs exist. Means you dont have to bump into that sort 8-)
This user liked this post: Billy Balfour

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:59 pm

Yeah but it's about 30-odd years ago - I think it may have changed. :lol: Travelled from there to Belgrade on what was laughingly called an international express train. Possibly the worst few hours of my life that didn't include illness or death.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:01 pm

For a second then I thought it was our midfielder target for January.
This user liked this post: houseboy

jackie1971
Been Liked: 10 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by jackie1971 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:21 pm

If you like Greek food you will be in your element in Thess., some of the best food anywhere in Greece ! Plenty of fast food places ( gyros, Bougatsa etc ) , loads of cafe bars. Ladadika area best for food and bars, touristy yes but also lots of locals aswell. I would tend to avoid The Dubliner pub ( nothing wrong with it ) and head for The Pub ( Rock Bar ) and Stones Bar on the next alleyway , Egypt Street I think. The bars on the seafront are good but I thought a bit pricey. Head for Bit Bazaar of you can find it, just off Olympou Street. During the day it is a courtyard full of second-hand shops that transforms into a courtyard full of small tavernas at night , Tripia Potiria being the best one. Basic Greece at its best !! Everywhere you go are young , beautiful people 8-) , being a university town.

Lots to see , depending on your interests. Do try to go up to Ano Poli, the old town. Gorgeous views from the old city walls up there. Museums, monasteries ancient monuments aplenty, scattered in amongst the newer buildings. Trip Advisor is a good place to start looking for bars etc near to you.

Where are you staying ?
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:03 pm

jackie1971 wrote:If you like Greek food you will be in your element in Thess., some of the best food anywhere in Greece ! Plenty of fast food places ( gyros, Bougatsa etc ) , loads of cafe bars. Ladadika area best for food and bars, touristy yes but also lots of locals aswell. I would tend to avoid The Dubliner pub ( nothing wrong with it ) and head for The Pub ( Rock Bar ) and Stones Bar on the next alleyway , Egypt Street I think. The bars on the seafront are good but I thought a bit pricey. Head for Bit Bazaar of you can find it, just off Olympou Street. During the day it is a courtyard full of second-hand shops that transforms into a courtyard full of small tavernas at night , Tripia Potiria being the best one. Basic Greece at its best !! Everywhere you go are young , beautiful people 8-) , being a university town.

Lots to see , depending on your interests. Do try to go up to Ano Poli, the old town. Gorgeous views from the old city walls up there. Museums, monasteries ancient monuments aplenty, scattered in amongst the newer buildings. Trip Advisor is a good place to start looking for bars etc near to you.

Where are you staying ?
Agree on the food. Just gone to find some pictures but only got this rest are backed up. Will dig out. But this little streetfood bar was among the best kebabs ive ever had.

Gyros , chips and a mythos. Heaven.
Attachments
Screenshot_20191105-165926_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20191105-165926_Instagram.jpg (479.3 KiB) Viewed 1587 times

Burtonwoodclaret
Been Liked: 82 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by Burtonwoodclaret » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:42 pm

jackie1971 wrote:If you like Greek food you will be in your element in Thess., some of the best food anywhere in Greece ! Plenty of fast food places ( gyros, Bougatsa etc ) , loads of cafe bars. Ladadika area best for food and bars, touristy yes but also lots of locals aswell. I would tend to avoid The Dubliner pub ( nothings wrong with it ) and head for The Pub ( Rock Bar ) and Stones Bar on the next alleyway , Egypt Street I think. The bars on the seafront are good but I thought a bit pricey. Head for Bit Bazaar of you can find it, just off Olympou Street. During the day it is a courtyard full of second-hand shops that transforms into a courtyard full of small tavernasatmospheric city at night , Tripia Potiria being the best one. Basic Greece at its best !! Everywhere you go are young , beautiful people 8-) , being a university town.

Where are you staying ?
I totally endorse everything that Jackie91 is saying. Thessaloniki is a very atmospheric city; well worth looking up the history .
Some of the religious buildings have been Islamic in the Ottoman Empire period , and at other times Christian. The holocaust took its tole on this city , There is a very moving Holocaust memorial and among the many museums the Jewish Museum is quite special. If you like a good novel about a place, then The Thread.by Victoria Hislop is a great read and a real insight into what has shaped modern day Thessaloniki.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:24 pm

Don’t forget. Nil michopoulos came from PAOK Salonica.

Billy Balfour

Post by Billy Balfour » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:29 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote::lol: brilliant

See it as a blessing these pubs exist. Means you dont have to bump into that sort 8-)
I'm liking your logic here.

longside72
Been Liked: 184 times
Has Liked: 224 times

Post by longside72 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:34 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:I want flew there for the Istanbul game. Nice little city. A weekend at this time of year will be long enough. Nice down the front with some cool bars and the boat trips around the bay are free you just pay for your drinks.

Some of the food in the back street areas was incredible. Highly recommended.
Was there with cricketfield and agree with all he says , we had an interesting bus trip to istanbul :roll:

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:00 am

longside72 wrote:Was there with cricketfield and agree with all he says , we had an interesting bus trip to istanbul :roll:
You never came back :? :lol:

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:29 am

My grandad was there in 1915... There's a family connection, I'm the King of Thrace.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 2693 times

Post by fatboy47 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:49 am

was there around 1980 when some outdated unserviced jet i was on struggled to get off the little runway at skiathos..so eventually at 3rd attempt took off with almost no fuel and landed at thess to fill up.

tense...but u can at least be confident the runway is long enough

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:07 am

fatboy47 wrote:was there around 1980 when some outdated unserviced jet i was on struggled to get off the little runway at skiathos..so eventually at 3rd attempt took off with almost no fuel and landed at thess to fill up.

Nice airport now with a good area outside for food and drink before you fly

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:08 am

fatboy47 wrote:was there around 1980 when some outdated unserviced jet i was on struggled to get off the little runway at skiathos..so eventually at 3rd attempt took off with almost no fuel and landed at thess to fill up.

I've done that runway at Skiathos,I think,is it the one go through two mountains at either side and on to a runway that looks as long as Harry Potts way?

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:28 am

Belatedly .... because I launched this thread and then forgot all about it... thanks for the contributions, especially jackie1971. Going tomorrow for 3 days ...love Greek food so should be in heaven by the sound of things. We are staying in an Airbnb very close to Aristotlou Square ( spelt wrong I think..apologies) right in the middle of the town close to the waterfront.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:35 am

Enjoy an Amstel & Greek salad in some waterfront taverna,my favourite scenario when ever I've been in Greece.

jackie1971
Been Liked: 10 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by jackie1971 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:42 am

I'm sooooo jealous !!!!!!!!!!
Enjoy :D

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8432 times
Has Liked: 18099 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:45 am

Steve1956 wrote:Enjoy an Amstel & Greek salad in some waterfront taverna,my favourite scenario when ever I've been in Greece.
I prefer olive oil on my greek salad... I suppose theres no accounting for taste is there ;)

I am waiting for

A ---‐- Knob!!!------ Reply :lol: :lol: :lol:
This user liked this post: Steve1956

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:49 am

Couldn't do it in 5
As I logged out I couldn't log back in quick enough to like my own post :)
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Reckoner
Been Liked: 124 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by Reckoner » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:54 pm

Steve1956 wrote:Enjoy an Amstel & Greek salad in some waterfront taverna,my favourite scenario when ever I've been in Greece.

Yes you can't beat a weak Dutch lager when you to Greece

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:03 pm

Reckoner wrote:Yes you can't beat a weak Dutch lager when you to Greece
Correct fella,when I first started going to Greece around 1980... Amstel was the only beer around and after a hard days sunbathing it hit the spot. :roll: