Stoppage time

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Stoppage time

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:51 pm

Why do we still have this nonsense? Why not just pause the official game clock whenever there's a referee stoppage for bookings, red cards, penalties and whatnot?
These 2 users liked this post: Tricky Trevor Taffy on the wing

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Re: Stoppage time

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:52 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Why do we still have this nonsense? Why not just pause the official game clock whenever there's a referee stoppage for bookings, red cards, penalties and whatnot?
There was a logical explanation befofe. But i agree. Would stop most of the time wasting.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:54 pm

Works perfectly well in rugby league and Yawnion

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2687 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:54 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Why do we still have this nonsense? Why not just pause the official game clock whenever there's a referee stoppage for bookings, red cards, penalties and whatnot?
Simple answer TV. ie the paymasters.
There is no way they would allow games to massively extend.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2275 times
Has Liked: 2154 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:56 pm

HunterST_BFC wrote:Simple answer TV. ie the paymasters.
Do what the Americans do and have adverts during the games stoppages :o :lol: ;)

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:57 pm

HunterST_BFC wrote:Simple answer TV. ie the paymasters.
But if stopping the game clock for situations that are *supposed* to incur stoppage time anyway, then if the current system was working the game wouldn't be extended.

It'd get rid of the controversy, and we could even have a clear end to the game defined too, like in "Yawnion" where the game continues beyond the 80th minute while the ball remains in play.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:10 pm

Its what this leads to. We stop the clock so there's no time wasting but then we lose momentum cos teams p*ssing about and not rushing wont be seen as much of a problem. Then small breaks in play become the norm and then somewhere down the line we are getting towards timeouts and ad breaks for the TV stations.

Sure in its simplest form now it can look a reasonable idea but you have to think a bit further ahead and the direction these kind of tweaks will take us
These 3 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Rick_Muller 4:20

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:14 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Its what this leads to. We stop the clock so there's no time wasting but then we lose momentum cos teams p*ssing about and not rushing wont be seen as much of a problem. Then small breaks in play become the norm and then somewhere down the line we are getting towards timeouts and ad breaks for the TV stations.

Sure in its simplest form now it can look a reasonable idea but you have to think a bit further ahead and the direction these kind of tweaks will take us
You can still book players for time wasting, or penalise them with revocation of things like free kicks if they take too long.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:15 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:But if stopping the game clock for situations that are *supposed* to incur stoppage time anyway, then if the current system was working the game wouldn't be extended.

It'd get rid of the controversy, and we could even have a clear end to the game defined too, like in "Yawnion" where the game continues beyond the 80th minute while the ball remains in play.
Will this impact on Early leavers?
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:17 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:You can still book players for time wasting, or penalise them with revocation of things like free kicks if they take too long.
Course you can but the emphasis will reduce and overtime I think it will become less of an issue. At the same time it will play into the hands of the money men running the game.
This user liked this post: 4:20

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:20 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:You can still book players for time wasting, or penalise them with revocation of things like free kicks if they take too long.
Not for holding it in corners though. Which obviously they can do

Also teams will still slow down at subs to kill momentum

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:21 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Course you can but the emphasis will reduce and overtime I think it will become less of an issue. At the same time it will play into the hands of the money men running the game.
I don't care about the effect on the money men running the game.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:24 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:I don't care about the effect on the money men running the game.
Strange comment. Its got nothing to do with the effect on them, its the opportunity it can give them to push the game in a direction that will have a negative effect on us the fans
This user liked this post: 4:20

Barry_Chuckle
Been Liked: 586 times
Has Liked: 203 times

Post by Barry_Chuckle » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:27 pm

BFC would lose the fee off GM fitted furniture Ltd, we'd never vote for it.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:28 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Not for holding it in corners though. Which obviously they can do

Also teams will still slow down at subs to kill momentum
They do that anyway, and it has the same effect anyway. This idea isn't intended to prevent time wasting directly, it's intended to disincentive it.

If adding 30 seconds per sub was accurate then replacing that with simply stopping the game clock instead would make no difference to the amount of actual football played. What is would do is, as i said, disincentivise time wasting more than stoppage time disincentivises it, and it would be more accurate than adding stoppage time.

One point about slow walking substitutes though, if a player knows that a substitution is going to add a fixed amount of time to the stoppage time (and he wants to waste time) then he can take as long as he wants over that time and know that only 30 seconds will be added. It also means that he will definitely milk it since why spend 10 seconds jogging off the pitch if it's going to add 30 seconds anyway. May as well walk.
So i'm unmoved by the 'momentum' argument.

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1091 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:08 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:They do that anyway, and it has the same effect anyway. This idea isn't intended to prevent time wasting directly, it's intended to disincentive it.

If adding 30 seconds per sub was accurate then replacing that with simply stopping the game clock instead would make no difference to the amount of actual football played. What is would do is, as i said, disincentivise time wasting more than stoppage time disincentivises it, and it would be more accurate than adding stoppage time.

One point about slow walking substitutes though, if a player knows that a substitution is going to add a fixed amount of time to the stoppage time (and he wants to waste time) then he can take as long as he wants over that time and know that only 30 seconds will be added. It also means that he will definitely milk it since why spend 10 seconds jogging off the pitch if it's going to add 30 seconds anyway. May as well walk.
So i'm unmoved by the 'momentum' argument.
But I thought substituted players are meant to leave the field via the nearest touch line now? A rule I’ve yet to see implemented. Or was this not brought in?

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:11 pm

RammyClaret61 wrote:But I thought substituted players are meant to leave the field via the nearest touch line now? A rule I’ve yet to see implemented. Or was this not brought in?

I think that was injured players being subbed, but you might be right.

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3750 times
Has Liked: 7520 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:26 am

I think it's important we retain at least a bit of nonsense in the game.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:57 am

tim_noone wrote:Will this impact on Early leavers?

Not sure, but we could then have another made up table on "where we should be" regards expected stoppages for, and expected stoppages against.

I'm all for it.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:57 am

How did the ref in the Chelsea v Ajax match come up with 4 mins?
5 second half goals, 2 red cards, VARs and substitutions.