Climate Change - Again

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Hipper
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Climate Change - Again

Post by Hipper » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:55 pm

'Despite 40 years of global climate negotiations, with few exceptions, we have generally conducted business as usual and have largely failed to address this predicament. The climate crisis has arrived and is accelerating faster than most scientists expected. It is more severe than anticipated, threatening natural ecosystems and the fate of humanity. Especially worrisome are potential irreversible climate tipping points and nature's reinforcing feedbacks (atmospheric, marine, and terrestrial) that could lead to a catastrophic “hothouse Earth,” well beyond the control of humans. These climate chain reactions could cause significant disruptions to ecosystems, society, and economies, potentially making large areas of Earth uninhabitable.'

https://academic.oup.com/bioscience/adv ... 88/5610806" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Click on 'Viewpoint' and then click on 'World Scientists’ Warning of a Climate Emergency'.

Perhaps you might consider this when you vote in the next elections.
Last edited by Hipper on Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: Imploding Turtle

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Re: Climate Change - Again

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:04 am

I dont believe anything any of the main parties say or do.

I dont believe any of them have morals or ethics.

I dont think much if anything will change for the better with either in charge.

If I do vote it will be for a non mainstream party that I believe has the interests of the planet and our youths future and interests in mind. So may actually for once read tbis political thread with interest...

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:08 am

Anyone claiming to be liberal, and not voting green is a virtue signaller

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:13 am

we are a tiny island, lobbing a few cans and plastic bottles in a coloured bin is futile, the real dirty countries aren't interested .
choosing a tinpot uk party wont save anything.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone blsclaret

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:02 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:we are a tiny island, lobbing a few cans and plastic bottles in a coloured bin is futile, the real dirty countries aren't interested .
Ok boomer
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:15 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:Ok boomer
writing the word boomer might sound snappy and concise to you, but it is meaningless to me. if you cant communicate with real words, and coherent structure **** off.
These 3 users liked this post: houseboy Stayingup MG70

blsclaret
Been Liked: 23 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by blsclaret » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:46 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:we are a tiny island, lobbing a few cans and plastic bottles in a coloured bin is futile, the real dirty countries aren't interested .
This.
Also, when will all aeroplanes be grounded instead of burning tonnes of fuel ?
When will rain forests be truly protected ?

The World has to change to change The World.

CardyTheClaret
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by CardyTheClaret » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:36 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:writing the word boomer might sound snappy and concise to you, but it is meaningless to me. if you cant communicate with real words, and coherent structure **** off.
I’m not sure if you’ve noticed that IT can only disagree by being abusive now. Hypocrite.
This user liked this post: ChrisG

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:51 am

CardyTheClaret wrote:I’m not sure if you’ve noticed that IT can only disagree by being abusive now. Hypocrite.
This is a lie. I can give a very detailed reply but you'll only see the asterisks. Snowflake.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:38 am

If the Green Party can't get a decent number of seats now then they'll never do it.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2590 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:49 am

It's actually the 9th largest island in the world, with the sixth biggest economy.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:20 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:This is a lie. I can give a very detailed reply but you'll only see the asterisks. Snowflake.
Hi IT. You were doing okay with this post in defending yourself until you added the word 'snowflake', which kinda destroyed your whole argument and proved him right.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:30 am

I don't expect the boomers or the generation below that (no idea what that is to be fair) to change their lifestyle until its too late.

And the argument that just because China and the US dump loads, we shouldn't bother is ******** as well.

Someone has to make a start somewhere, it might as well be you.

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1599 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:36 am

I disagree. Firstly, it's not a few cans and bottles....it's millions.

The individual can take lead on climate change.

Start at home. Reduce waste, turn down or off the heating when it's not really needed, drive a more fuel efficient car, drive a little slower, heat proof your home, only buy the food you need. Grow your own vegetables. Reduce the number of flights you take or go to closer destinations.

So many things each of us can do, at home and at work. The really good thing is we will save money at the same time.

Millions of individuals making life changes will have an effect. If companies and governments follow then it might be possible to limit the temptation increase.

Sadly, I think the lack of change has already taken us past the point of stopping climate change. Climate change is accelerating. The poles are melting, sea levels will rise, weather will continue to become more extreme, the population will keep rising and eventually the atmosphere will collapse. :(
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:06 am

I'm sure that most will have now seen the pictures of smog ridden New Delhi. There and China and a few other countries really need to clean up their acts. We do of course and plastic pollution is an epidemic, but these action groups really need to put pressure on the aforementioned countries governments.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:08 am

Stayingup wrote:I'm sure that most will have now seen the pictures of smog ridden New Delhi. There and China and a few other countries really need to clean up their acts. We do of course and plastic pollution is an epidemic, but these action groups really need to put pressure on the aforementioned countries governments.
Pretty sure that the reality of what is happening to them will get them changing things massively.

China is absolutely an horrific polluter, but the amount of solar panels and electric vehicles they are churning out dwarfs anything we are doing.

CardyTheClaret
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by CardyTheClaret » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:13 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:Snowflake.
Bingo.

BFC Gold
Been Liked: 80 times
Has Liked: 38 times

Post by BFC Gold » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:43 am

Anyone who still believes in the climate change myth, need only look as far as the likes of Piers Corbyn for confirmation of this globalist scaremongering lie. Please wake up and look up the correct, unbiased, independent and non globalist unfunded research and then take a deep breath......

willsclarets
Been Liked: 680 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:19 pm

It's difficult for us as individual citizens to curb the biggest culprit of emissions, which is burning fossil fuels for electricity for heat. We can play our part, but industry and government lead to lead the way in powering the grid which is carbon neutral. It's hard for us to change industrial practice and waste disposal practices. We can recycle, but it's hard for us to change the way global manufacturers package their goods. Political pressure is big of course, but there's a lot of lobbying and corporate power that's difficult for the individual to change.

The biggest single change we can make I would argue, and dictate ourselves, is how we eat and what we eat. With a bit of effort it's fully in our control, and collectively would make a massive difference. Eating much less meat and dairy (if any at all) is cheaper, healthier and once you get into it veg, pulses, nuts, potatoes, pasta and fruits (with the odd bit of cheese, I can't give it up completely) is great to cook with. Try Ottolenghi's recipes if you haven't, he's magic. Now I know there are problems with industrial farming with some of these non-meat products. The way almonds are farmed in California for example, is ridiculous. But overall the freshwater useage, carbon emissions, deforestation impacts and grain production associated with rearing animals is a far bigger problem. And we get to vote with our mouths. There are 70 billion animals reared for human consumption every year, 60% of freshwater is used for agricultural purposes (60%!) and nearly a third of all land not covered in ice, is covered with land used for farming. It's just not sustainable.

I sound all preachy, and my dad would say "nonsense, i'll eat meat if I want. I like meat". And it is down to the individual, but even if you do eat meat could you eat it once a week? Twice even? It doesn't have to be a burden, it can be bloody delicious with a bit of effort.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Sproggy
Been Liked: 665 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by Sproggy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:20 pm

It's the fault of the asthmatics.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50215011

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:22 pm

willsclarets wrote:It's difficult for us as individual citizens to curb the biggest culprit of emissions, which is burning fossil fuels for electricity for heat. We can play our part, but industry and government lead to lead the way in powering the grid which is carbon neutral. It's hard for us to change industrial practice and waste disposal practices. We can recycle, but it's hard for us to change the way global manufacturers package their goods. Political pressure is big of course, but there's a lot of lobbying and corporate power that's difficult for the individual to change.

The biggest single change we can make I would argue, and dictate ourselves, is how we eat and what we eat. With a bit of effort it's fully in our control, and collectively would make a massive difference. Eating much less meat and dairy (if any at all) is cheaper, healthier and once you get into it veg, pulses, nuts, potatoes, pasta and fruits (with the odd bit of cheese, I can't give it up completely) is great to cook with. Try Ottolenghi's recipes if you haven't, he's magic. Now I know there are problems with industrial farming with some of these non-meat products. The way almonds are farmed in California for example, is ridiculous. But overall the freshwater useage, carbon emissions, deforestation impacts and grain production associated with rearing animals is a far bigger problem. And we get to vote with our mouths. There are 70 billion animals reared for human consumption every year, 60% of freshwater is used for agricultural purposes (60%!) and nearly a third of all land not covered in ice, is covered with land used for farming. It's just not sustainable.

I sound all preachy, and my dad would say "nonsense, i'll eat meat if I want. I like meat". And it is down to the individual, but even if you do eat meat could you eat it once a week? Twice even? It doesn't have to be a burden, it can be bloody delicious with a bit of effort.
I find meat ridiculously over rated. Actually I can not even stress enough how overrated it actually is. I’m no vegetarian but apart from the odd bacon, sausage butty meat is off my agenda. Make any curry, wrap, chilli, pasta dish with vegetables replacing meat and there is no comparison in my opinion.

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:11 pm

what a thick species we must be, knowing how much damage we have been doing to the solitary place we exist, and collectively just carelessly hell bent on polluting the hell out of it,probably right up to the point of no return. Every other life form sharing the planet with us does no harm, but the so called highest form of life with the big brains, ruins it for ever. madness.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:49 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Pretty sure that the reality of what is happening to them will get them changing things massively.

China is absolutely an horrific polluter, but the amount of solar panels and electric vehicles they are churning out dwarfs anything we are doing.
There just happens 3 billion Chinese which dwarfs our population. But the Chinese will only churn out the things you mention with two things in mind. Profit and wotrld domination.

The point is why are the protest groups not targeting the big emmisions producers. Our record in reducing emmissions is quite good.

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:00 pm

the uk is tiny, nothing we do will make a jot of difference, even if everybody here was on board with cleaner environments, as long as geographical giants like china and india continue to stick two fingers up to the scientists, then the delicate balance we need to survive will be lost . no two ways about it, their governments are idiots.And they should be seen as responsible, but there's nothing that can be done to alter their stupidity.

Cryssys
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Cryssys » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:29 pm

Damo wrote:Anyone claiming to be liberal, and not voting green is a virtue signaller

Eh?

What you on?

Cryssys
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Cryssys » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:40 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:If the Green Party can't get a decent number of seats now then they'll never do it.
They will probably get over a million votes nationwide but under the FPTP system they will be lucky to get one MP.

In 2015 they got 3.6% (1.1 million votes) of the total votes cast but only one MP. Where's the democracy in that?

For the record I have never, nor ever will, vote for the green party because it's a wasted vote.

Your simple view as stated above is exactly that; simple.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:55 pm

Dyched wrote:I find meat ridiculously over rated. Actually I can not even stress enough how overrated it actually is. I’m no vegetarian but apart from the odd bacon, sausage butty meat is off my agenda. Make any curry, wrap, chilli, pasta dish with vegetables replacing meat and there is no comparison in my opinion.
Agree.

Would I give up meat permanently? No way. But indont believe we are meant to eat as much as we do and the mass produced stuff is madness. But appreciate that pwople buy and eat what they can afford. That said a healthy, tasty veg meal can cost pittance.

Currys
Pasta
Stir fry
Soups

All taste as good if not better veg only. In fact the more veg curries I eat the more i realise how crap chicken ones can be.