Ben Gibson

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
brexit
Been Liked: 234 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Re: Ben Gibson

Post by brexit » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:34 pm

Maybe gibsons time wil be on saturday when we play 3-5-2 :D

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:07 pm

I'd say it's pretty clear Ben Mee was stalling on signing. Why else would it have dragged on all summer? Most likely scenario is his agent spent all summer touting him round, there was no interest whatsoever so he decided to resign with us.

Holtyclaret
Been Liked: 342 times
Has Liked: 1558 times

Post by Holtyclaret » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:08 pm

It is absolutely amazing that Tarks nor Mee have been injured/suspended since Gibson signed. In that respect Gibson’s been extremely unlucky. Nice to know he’s in the wings though (like Vydra).
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:29 pm

Tarks might be lucky to keep his place Saturday. ;)

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1986 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:34 pm

I have no problem if Gibson stays fit on the wings, he is doing his job. I have no problem SD signing him. He was unlucky he came in at the worst possible moment, don’t think we can judge him.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:16 pm

I actually think there was an expectation that we'd be much more involved in Europe and he would have been playing those games to give others a rest. Plus, 2 centre halves who never get suspended or injured in over a year is pretty bizarre, but he's proved to be insurance we ended up not needing.......yet!!

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:04 pm

Not even in matchday squad now our joint record signing along with vydra another big money buy ???

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:20 pm

Think it's clear him and Vydra both need to move on for the sake of their own careers. Must be a pretty soul destroying experience for them.
This user liked this post: BOYSIE31

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:31 pm

Sean Dyche said there wasn't much between Gubson and Long, and with Brady and Peiters in the bench, he may have felt Long was a better option on the bench to add some balance.

But yes, he needs to move on, he was on the cusp of the England team and talked about as the next up and coming CB.
He's certainly got good distribution, but something isnt quite right , probably not helped with the captain being his competition for the shirt.

If he didnt get a chance last season when were were rank bad, he will never get a chance.

Cash in, get a younger under study, then use the excess cash to strengthen midfield.
This user liked this post: Giftonsnoidea

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:34 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:No need to spend and could have gone elswhere - he has started 1 game in the league in a season and a half - by the way i think he is a quality player who should now be given a chance - if its not this saturday then its never going to happen and im not talking about covering for injuries either.
Please tell us all how you knew that when we signed him. And follow it up with the next lotto numbers.

And why would he have started yesterday when we were obviously going to play 4-4-2 now that Wood was back, and both Mee and Tarks had no injury news? Where were you going to play him exactly?

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:34 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Please tell us all how you knew that when we signed him. And follow it up with the next lotto numbers.

And why would he have started yesterday when we were obviously going to play 4-4-2 now that Wood was back, and both Mee and Tarks had no injury news? Where were you going to play him exactly?

I was glad of the 2 changes yesterday but tarks has given 2 goals away in the last few games remember and Mee not been brilliant so just thought this would be his chance - never going to happen so need to sell both in jan.

4/14/18/23/34/46 - 21

Blyclaret
Been Liked: 207 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Blyclaret » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:43 pm

Gibson was bought as back up for Mee. Given a good wage.
As was Keane and Tarkowski before him.
And was told as much before he signed.
So nothing to see here.

Lord_Bob
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 67 times

Post by Lord_Bob » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:47 pm

Feel really, really sorry for the lad. Never going to get a game and a potential England career derailed (at least temporarily, hopefully not permanently).

Why did we sign him if we already had Long, and Dunne getting good reviews at the time, and it had nothing to do with the Mee contract situation? Makes no sense. A club like ours spending 15M for a squad player / back up? Why?
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone cricketfieldclarets

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:57 pm

Lord_Bob wrote:Feel really, really sorry for the lad. Never going to get a game and a potential England career derailed (at least temporarily, hopefully not permanently).

Why did we sign him if we already had Long, and Dunne getting good reviews at the time, and it had nothing to do with the Mee contract situation? Makes no sense. A club like ours spending 15M for a squad player / back up? Why?
I'd imagine they didn't think Long/Dunne were good enough, should Mee/Tarks have had a lengthy injury and it could have well been the difference between staying up or going down.

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:35 pm

I thought we bought him because Ben Mee wouldn’t sign a contract, then Mee signed and were now stuck with a very expensive sub that never plays. As said he’s never going to get in the team unless there’s an injury to Mee or Tarks. Might be best to sell for 10m + if we can)and get a midfielder that can push cork and westwood as prices are going up all the time.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:40 pm

Giftonsnoidea wrote:I thought we bought him because Ben Mee wouldn’t sign a contract, then Mee signed and were now stuck with a very expensive sub that never plays. As said he’s never going to get in the team unless there’s an injury to Mee or Tarks.
Long didn't look good enough to me to come in and replace either of them for any length of time so we still needed someone like Gibson, regardless.
These 2 users liked this post: Dark Cloud Bosscat

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:42 pm

As I said on another similar thread, the fact that neither Mee or Tarks has been injured or suspended in absolutely ages is pretty bizarre, especially for central defenders and whilst SD is probably extremely chuffed about it, he certainly wouldn't have predicted it. Also, we were entering Europe with every hope/expectation of playing regularly on Thursdays all over the place and I'm sure Gibson was signed very much with that in mind. As it was we didn't progress, so all in all it's been (fairly expensive) insurance we haven't needed (yet!!) But I'm glad we've got it tbh.
These 4 users liked this post: Bosscat nil_desperandum Holtyclaret Stalbansclaret

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:47 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:As I said on another similar thread, the fact that neither Mee or Tarks has been injured or suspended in absolutely ages is pretty bizarre, especially for central defenders and whilst SD is probably extremely chuffed about it, he certainly wouldn't have predicted it. Also, we were entering Europe with every hope/expectation of playing regularly on Thursdays all over the place and I'm sure Gibson was signed very much with that in mind. As it was we didn't progress, all in all it's been (fairly expensive) insurance we haven't needed (yet!!) But I'm glad we've got it tbh.
I agree totally.

There appears to be quite a lot of people taking hindsight into consideration here. Like they knew neither Mee/Tarks were going to be injured and therefore they come to the conclusion that Gibson was a waste. And a club in the Premier League, rightly, made sure they had insurance.

You insure your house on the chance it gets burned down, flooded etc. Gibson was insurance. The fact that he hasn't been needed much is absolutely irrelevant. That doesn't actually come into play because it's after the event.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Giftonsnoidea

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:49 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Long didn't look good enough to me to come in and replace either of them for any length of time so we still needed someone like Gibson, regardless.
Maybe but it seems we have spunked our budget on a player that never plays, bit of a catch 22 for Dyche I reckon

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:51 pm

Giftonsnoidea wrote:Maybe but it seems we have spunked our budget on a player that never plays, bit of a catch 22 for Dyche I reckon
This is my point. Nobody knew he wasn't going to play. Now had Mee been ruled out for 6 months with a broken leg, posters would be saying, "Great move by Dyche bringing him in" - but just because we've been fortunate with neither being injured, we have now wasted our budget?

It doesn't work like that.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:52 pm

Some posters really struggle with the concept of a squad.
These 5 users liked this post: FactualFrank JohnDearyMe Rileybobs Siddo Stalbansclaret

Giftonsnoidea

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:54 pm

FactualFrank wrote:This is my point. Nobody knew he wasn't going to play. Now had Mee been ruled out for 6 months with a broken leg, posters would be saying, "Great move by Dyche bringing him in" - but just because we've been fortunate with neither being injured, we have now wasted our budget?

It doesn't work like that.
Not a waste but it seems there is a log jam now where we don’t know who to buy for midfield and we have no centre mid cover again. I think one more midfielder coming in that can contest for a place and the Gibson dilemma is irrelevant and good strength in depth. The lad must be bored shitless tho can’t get a game at all.

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:59 pm

Having said all that, it still doesn't stop me feeling more than a bit sorry for the lad. Yes he's picking up a small fortune every week, but he's highly rated, clearly up to PL standard and is potentially England material and yet some of his best years could be spent sitting on the bench or in the stands and that must be extremely frustrating for him. If we do let him move on at some point though, I wouldn't want him going to one of our direct rivals, but that's probably hard if not impossible to manipulate AND we'd then want to take out more insurance!

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:17 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:Having said all that, it still doesn't stop me feeling more than a bit sorry for the lad. Yes he's picking up a small fortune every week, but he's highly rated, clearly up to PL standard and is potentially England material and yet some of his best years could be spent sitting on the bench or in the stands and that must be extremely frustrating for him. If we do let him move on at some point though, I wouldn't want him going to one of our direct rivals, but that's probably hard if not impossible to manipulate AND we'd then want to take out more insurance!
Absolutely, I imagine he's frustrated. That's football and that's how it goes with most squad players. They are there to either come on as an impact sub or be there if a player gets injured.

There's always the chance that him and SD have spoken and he knows he'll get his chance, just as Tarks got his chance, and Taylor has got his chance, and McNeil came in and got his chance. We're only 1 injury away from someone like him playing an entire season.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6900 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:52 pm

Giftonsnoidea wrote:Not a waste but it seems there is a log jam now where we don’t know who to buy for midfield and we have no centre mid cover again. I think one more midfielder coming in that can contest for a place and the Gibson dilemma is irrelevant and good strength in depth. The lad must be bored shitless tho can’t get a game at all.
How don’t we have centre mid cover? We have Westwood, Cork, Hendrick and Drinkwater.

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:23 pm

Amazing thread. When we signed him people on here had been in meltdown that we didn’t have CH cover.

Now we have cover it’s a problem for us.

Gibson will be relying on the CH conveyor belt, 1 will be sold then he will get his chance.

Giftonsnoidea

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:50 am

Rileybobs wrote:How don’t we have centre mid cover? We have Westwood, Cork, Hendrick and Drinkwater.
Drink water is miles away from starting and one injury to any of those and were playing people completely out of form (Lennon) JBG injured. Brady not a centre mid so no I don’t think we have any decent cover in the centre. Hendrick has always been miles better on the right so we definitely do need another centre mid, can’t see DD getting fit to push for a place. Happy to be proven wrong.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:03 am

Dyche made the mistake of having four centre halves in the squad, and four central midfielders. How reckless.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:00 am

Blyclaret wrote:Gibson was bought as back up for Mee. Given a good wage.
As was Keane and Tarkowski before him.
And was told as much before he signed.
So nothing to see here.

Bloody expensive back up when we have no money to spend elswhere

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:05 am

FactualFrank wrote:I agree totally.

There appears to be quite a lot of people taking hindsight into consideration here. Like they knew neither Mee/Tarks were going to be injured and therefore they come to the conclusion that Gibson was a waste. And a club in the Premier League, rightly, made sure they had insurance.

You insure your house on the chance it gets burned down, flooded etc. Gibson was insurance. The fact that he hasn't been needed much is absolutely irrelevant. That doesn't actually come into play because it's after the event.

That looks ok but get another up and coming player who is the next to step in (which might be Dunne) but dont go splashing 15 million and a joint record buy at that to play 1 league game as we had Long.

So 27 million plus wages gone on him and Vydra but when we get the same "we have no money" next summer - it does not wash with me and questions should be asked if we are a tight ship.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:07 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:Bloody expensive back up when we have no money to spend elswhere
Even more so when you think we have missed out on players due to price tag and/or wages.

For their cost to contribution, Vydra and Gibson have been expensive mistakes.
Around a 25m outlay with combined wages north of 60k per week isn't one we afford to be sat on the bench at very best. I bet they've rarely been on the bench together either.

I'm not saying other clubs don't make bigger mistakes, but we regularly hear how we cant stretch the budget or wages, when in truth the aforementioned players and Hart have cost us a hell of a lot of money when in truth wasn't needed and has been a costly mistake after finishing 7th.
These 2 users liked this post: BOYSIE31 cricketfieldclarets

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:08 am

Giftonsnoidea wrote:Maybe but it seems we have spunked our budget on a player that never plays, bit of a catch 22 for Dyche I reckon

3 players

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:13 am

MACCA wrote:Even more so when you think we have missed out on players due to price tag and/or wages.

For their cost to contribution, Vydra and Gibson have been expensive mistakes.
Around a 25m outlay with combined wages north of 60k per week isn't one we afford to be sat on the bench at very best. I bet they've rarely been on the bench together either.

I'm not saying other clubs don't make bigger mistakes, but we regularly hear how we cant stretch the budget or wages, when in truth the aforementioned players and Hart have cost us a hell of a lot of money when in truth wasn't needed and has been a costly mistake after finishing 7th.

They has been a lot of mistakes and every club do make them but you would think with our budget we cannot afford to make these big mistakes and i would add Drinkwater /Crouch / Walters / Wells / Hart / Lennon to that as well

Certain people on here would think we have had no money to spend when in truth a hell of a lot has been wasted but will not say a bad word about the club.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2619 times
Has Liked: 6417 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:30 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:Bloody expensive back up when we have no money to spend elswhere
We've built our success on a defensive framework, of course we'll invest heavily in that department. We've proven over and over that if we lose an attacking option we can cope and score from other areas of the pitch. We've also proved that when the defence is off form we lose.

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:33 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:They has been a lot of mistakes and every club do make them but you would think with our budget we cannot afford to make these big mistakes and i would add Drinkwater /Crouch / Walters / Wells / Hart / Lennon to that as well

Certain people on here would think we have had no money to spend when in truth a hell of a lot has been wasted but will not say a bad word about the club.
Think most leave you to say the bad words about the club! Rest probably quite happy with how things have been going!

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:33 am

Giftonsnoidea wrote:Drink water is miles away from starting and one injury to any of those and were playing people completely out of form (Lennon) JBG injured. Brady not a centre mid so no I don’t think we have any decent cover in the centre. Hendrick has always been miles better on the right so we definitely do need another centre mid, can’t see DD getting fit to push for a place. Happy to be proven wrong.
I would expect Drinkwater to be on the bench in 2 weeks time at Watford.

4 central midfielders to choose from is sufficient cover. We can’t afford to carry more than 2 players for each position.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:36 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:They has been a lot of mistakes and every club do make them but you would think with our budget we cannot afford to make these big mistakes and i would add Drinkwater /Crouch / Walters / Wells / Hart / Lennon to that as well

By “certain” people you mean those who understand basic financial accounting ?
I don’t know anyone who hasn’t been critical about the club at some point or another. The difference is some fans have perspective (you might need to look up the word). Most fans don’t spend the whole time criticising the clubs and constantly finding negatives.
Most fans are enjoying the most successful 6 or 7 years since the 1960s.
Most fans can enjoy a great performance like Saturday without still banging on about things that they think are wrong with the club

We are just lucky that you don’t represent “most” fans.

During the international break do yourself a favour and go and ask someone to give you a lesson on reading our accounts - when you see how healthy our position is it might stop you from constantly worrying “we can’t afford” to make mistakes.
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:52 am

Rileybobs wrote:I would expect Drinkwater to be on the bench in 2 weeks time at Watford.

4 central midfielders to choose from is sufficient cover. We can’t afford to carry more than 2 players for each position.

Drinwater will not kick a ball for the club in the league

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:57 am

TVC15 wrote:By “certain” people you mean those who understand basic financial accounting ?
I don’t know anyone who hasn’t been critical about the club at some point or another. The difference is some fans have perspective (you might need to look up the word). Most fans don’t spend the whole time criticising the clubs and constantly finding negatives.
Most fans are enjoying the most successful 6 or 7 years since the 1960s.
Most fans can enjoy a great performance like Saturday without still banging on about things that they think are wrong with the club

We are just lucky that you don’t represent “most” fans.

During the international break do yourself a favour and go and ask someone to give you a lesson on reading our accounts - when you see how healthy our position is it might stop you from constantly worrying “we can’t afford” to make mistakes.

stop talking crap - the club is skint

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:02 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:stop talking crap - the club is skint
You are that stupid aren’t you.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:07 am

Shall we explain it in language you are more used to.

If Jonny get £1 spending money and only spends 50 pence on sweets is he :
A) skint
B) got 50 pence left

If Jonny does the same for a few weeks in a row is he :
A) still skint
B) etc etc

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:11 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:Drinwater will not kick a ball for the club in the league
Really? If Dyche has no intention to play Drinkwater then why didn't he terminate the loan?

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2619 times
Has Liked: 6417 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:11 am

Jonny has diabetes and shouldn't be buying sweets
These 2 users liked this post: TVC15 BOYSIE31

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:13 am

I knew I should have said lentils !
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:19 am

:roll:
TVC15 wrote:You are that stupid aren’t you.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:22 am

BOYSIE31 wrote::roll:
If only you would have chosen maths in your year 9 options and not the emoji btech.

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:41 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:stop talking crap - the club is skint
Evidently skint which is why Barnes and Wood rejected the new contract offers last week.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:09 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:Evidently skint which is why Barnes and Wood rejected the new contract offers last week.

I have nothing against giving these two a new contract as will be cheaper than the next Vydra but Barnes will be 33 and Wood 30 with Jay also 30 now.

Where is the youth ??

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:14 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:I have nothing against giving these two a new contract as will be cheaper than the next Vydra but Barnes will be 33 and Wood 30 with Jay also 30 now.

Where is the youth ??
Why are you worrying about 3 years from now? Isn’t that what Dyche is paid to do? You do seem to moan just for the sake of it.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:14 pm

In the youth team.