ARTICLE: Big win against champions Wolves as TV war looms

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32530 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

ARTICLE: Big win against champions Wolves as TV war looms

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:50 am

It was definitely a good day for us in the 1959/60 championship season

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/big-win-aga ... -war-looms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: Buxtonclaret

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1282 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Re: ARTICLE: Big win against champions Wolves as TV war looms

Post by Royboyclaret » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:30 pm

This was a key result and performance that had supporters believing that anything was now possible. I remember walking back to the car and Dad saying that this could be a very special team. How right he was.

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by Suratclaret » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:38 pm

I remember the game mainly because we were standing next to a family from Wolverhampton ( no segregation in those days) and it turned out that they were very friendly with one of my dad's cousins. They were very complimentary about Burnley and thought we would be,along with Wolves, in with a good shout of winning the championship.
Some well known names in the Wolves team...Eddie Clamp didn't believe in taking prisoners. I'm not sure but think Billy Wright had retired? Peter Broadbent was a very good player and it was surprising he didn't play more games for England.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32530 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:40 pm

Suratclaret wrote:I remember the game mainly because we were standing next to a family from Wolverhampton ( no segregation in those days) and it turned out that they were very friendly with one of my dad's cousins. They were very complimentary about Burnley and thought we would be,along with Wolves, in with a good shout of winning the championship.
Some well known names in the Wolves team...Eddie Clamp didn't believe in taking prisoners. I'm not sure but think Billy Wright had retired? Peter Broadbent was a very good player and it was surprising he didn't play more games for England.
Billy Wright had retired at the start of that season. I'd say the two standout players in that team were probably Ron Flowers and Peter Broadbent.

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1282 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:58 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Billy Wright had retired at the start of that season. I'd say the two standout players in that team were probably Ron Flowers and Peter Broadbent.
Wolves had any number of exceptional players at the time, they had won the League in the previous two seasons. Clitheroe born Bill Slater didn't play against us in that match on the Turf for whatever reason, but he captained their side to beat Blackburn in the FA Cup Final later that season.