Dave Thomas R4 QPR

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2351 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Dave Thomas R4 QPR

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:58 am

Our 60s/70s "super star" and Burnley Legend was interviewed on R4 Today sports spot at 8:30ish this morning.

Dave and Hannah, his guide dog, will be at QPR today,

Good to wake up to Dave speaking of his grandfather winning the "original world cup" in Italy in 1909 and repeating his success in 1911 - playing for a coal mining village team. Apparently the team didn't have the funds to pay for travel back home from Italy. A pub landlady is said to have covered their costs, if the pub could keep the trophy.

Dave also spoke of scoring the winner for England schoolboys v W.Germany in April 1966. And, travelling with his Dad to games in motorbike + sidecar. I thought I heard Dave say "Worzel and Grommit" (rather than "Wallace") but that was probably just me mis-hearing. ;)

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Re: Dave Thomas R4 QPR

Post by CleggHall » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:35 pm

Yes a good interview Paul, despite his eyesight problems Dave sounds a contented guy who has accepted his lot in life. An excellent player who turned down Leeds and Revie's £ notes in a suitcase because he had already given his word to Burnley.
Why Adamson didn't like him is another question?