Atmosphere in the PL.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Atmosphere in the PL.

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:59 am

Just wondered if anyone else agrees with this. Had a guy round at ours last night to do a job and we were talking football. He is a mad keen Huddersfield fan and goes to pretty much all games. He was naturally a bit sick about relegation but he did say it had one advantage; he went to ALL their away games in the PL last season (that's how keen he is) and has been to all their away games so far this season and he said without a doubt that the atmosphere is better in the Championship games, especially travelling away. I think he has a point, even when you look at leagues like La Liga and the Bundesliga the atmosphere always seems better.

Does anyone else think this? And is VAR going to make it even worse?

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2309 times
Has Liked: 2692 times

Re: Atmosphere in the PL.

Post by fatboy47 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:24 am

No.

And hes talkng through his behind.

Have you seen many champ games recently...especially the televised ones...theyre mostly so dead you can hear conversation amongst spectators.....2/3 empty stadiums watching dross ...its grim.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:27 am

The atmosphere is dead at most premier league grounds apart from the promoted clubs.

We have a go and so do Palace but generally it only wakes up when someone scores.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:29 am

The atmosphere is equally bad in the PL and Championship, Anfield excepted. It will remain like that until the long overdue reintroduction of Standing areas.
These 2 users liked this post: houseboy tim_noone

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 309 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:36 am

When you look at games in Bundesliga, mid table battles between two bang average sides on a Monday night put our grounds to shame.

I’ve been to all the Premier League grounds and the worst home atmosphere was probably Anfield.

MrMeeseeks
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by MrMeeseeks » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:44 am

Been to most of our games at Anfield in the Premier League and I can’t say there’s ever been a particularly good atmosphere among the home fans.

In general in this country it seems to take a significant game for there to be a real atmosphere at a ground.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:49 am

Perhaps we should adopt this as a song to walk on to...

https://youtu.be/RFPLk5mJ1D4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only kidding :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK people talk about the atmosphere in the lower leagues etc.etc...

Betcha what you like they would swap league positions in a heartbeat....

I talk to friends who follow lower league clubs and to a man/woman they are envious of where we are and are achieving...

Firthy
Been Liked: 1607 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:56 am

Too many foreign players and not enough British players in a lot of teams. I used to love watching English teams in Europe back when Forest and the like were doing well with mostly British players. Now watching the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea with sometime 11 overseas players doesn't interest me.

Pretty much the same in the PL. For me there just isn't the same passion and excitement following teams without British players. I guess that's why I'm lucky being a Burnley supporter.
These 5 users liked this post: Bosscat fatboy47 turfytopper evensteadiereddie Stayingup

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:10 am

fatboy47 wrote:No.

And hes talkng through his behind.

Have you seen many champ games recently...especially the televised ones...theyre mostly so dead you can hear conversation amongst spectators.....2/3 empty stadiums watching dross ...its grim.
I think 2/3 empty stadiums is a bit out bud, even the barstewards can half fill theirs (nearly). Sheff Wed/Derby/Forest/Leeds/Brum/WBA all get bigger crowds than us, and that's just off the top of my head, even PNE is usually well over half full. The televised games are not the ones to judge because as with all teams (pretty much) there is a drop off when it's live on the telly-box.

I think what he was getting at is the fact that he thinks the atmosphere is 'better' not necessarily 'great'. It all started with the 'prawn sandwich' fans at Old Trafford and has spread out from there. :lol: :lol:

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:15 am

Bosscat wrote:Perhaps we should adopt this as a song to walk on to...

https://youtu.be/RFPLk5mJ1D4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only kidding :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK people talk about the atmosphere in the lower leagues etc.etc...

Betcha what you like they would swap league positions in a heartbeat....

I talk to friends who follow lower league clubs and to a man/woman they are envious of where we are and are achieving...
No they aren't Boss - they've been told to say that by 'those above'. Now keep your head down just now, you have already deeply offended the whole Catholic church, who next, the Zoroastrians? :lol: :lol: :lol:
This user liked this post: Bosscat

cockneyclaret
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 3288 times

Post by cockneyclaret » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:15 am

houseboy wrote:Just wondered if anyone else agrees with this. Had a guy round at ours last night to do a job and we were talking football. He is a mad keen Huddersfield fan and goes to pretty much all games. He was naturally a bit sick about relegation but he did say it had one advantage; he went to ALL their away games in the PL last season (that's how keen he is) and has been to all their away games so far this season and he said without a doubt that the atmosphere is better in the Championship games, especially travelling away. I think he has a point, even when you look at leagues like La Liga and the Bundesliga the atmosphere always seems better.

Does anyone else think this? And is VAR going to make it even worse?
I would agree that the away atmosphere in the lower leagues is better but that's down to different traveling support.
VAR is probably here to stay and may improve if they have time limits on decisions etc if not it's going to kill any celebration of any type or the joy of going to football
This user liked this post: houseboy

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:21 am

cockneyclaret wrote:I would agree that the away atmosphere in the lower leagues is better but that's down to different traveling support.
VAR is probably here to stay and may improve if they have time limits on decisions etc if not it's going to kill any celebration of any type or the joy of going to football
Actually you're probably right. When you are a biggish club in the lower leagues it can be fun at away games. When we won the old 4th division our away games, particularly in the second half of the season, were like home games. But as someone has pointed out the game suffered terribly atmosphere wise with the introduction of all-seater stadia.
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:34 am

VAR in its current format will definitely make things worse. I note that tit Swarbrick who is in charge of VAR gave his first real interview and scored it so far as a 7 out of 10.....unbelievable !! The VAR people and refs seem to be oblivious to what the rest of football are telling them - including ex refs like Halsey who are constantly condemning the implementation of VAR.

As for the general decline in atmosphere at Premier League grounds I think that this is mostly true - there are definitely exceptions when you hear the noise generated at the likes of Sheff United and Villa park but that may be down to them being promoted. There will be many reasons for the decline but for me it’s probably the “sanitisation” of the people who go to watch.
United for example have 15,000 corporate hospitality people every home game - 15,000 !!!
You then have a lot more women and families attending the games - nothing wrong with this of course but does change the atmosphere.
And finally - again mostly at the big clubs - you are getting a lot of overseas people attending the games. This has become big business - at Liverpool last year I was in a queue for food before the game and I think I was the only one from this country. Japanese, Scandinavians, Germans - it was a real eye opener. I know a lot of the houses around Anfield now are being rented out as part of a package for overseas visitors coming to the game. This happens at United and other big teams too.

The away followings are different I suppose because you are getting more of the old hardcore of fans travelling - and it’s a bit more tribal / back to the old days.
These 3 users liked this post: cockneyclaret Anonymous Dark Cloud

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:46 am

houseboy wrote:No they aren't Boss - they've been told to say that by 'those above'. Now keep your head down just now, you have already deeply offended the whole Catholic church, who next, the Zoroastrians? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I love the Zorro-Asturians (other spanish regions are available) ....

Zorro ... who couldn't with that swish of his sword as he cuts a huge "Z" in an enemies shirt :D :D :D

https://youtu.be/uZpvHkGMn5k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wembley94
Been Liked: 24 times
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by wembley94 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:12 pm

Go to lots of games in lower league football.and most are all ticket.but the stands have unreserved seating.which means every one that likes to stand and sing.can stay together.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6715 times

Post by bfcjg » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:40 pm

In fairness the cricketfield do a good job in most games.

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 364 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:44 pm

Anything to do with Huddersfield, just like Burnley, not being a big draw to the opposition and their fans?

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:47 pm

Bosscat wrote:I love the Zorro-Asturians (other spanish regions are available) ....

Zorro ... who couldn't with that swish of his sword as he cuts a huge "Z" in an enemies shirt :D :D :D

https://youtu.be/uZpvHkGMn5k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Or on a door - ha ha. Now that was one dashing hero bud.

Incidentally did you know (oh no I feel one of those 'did you know' moments coming on) that the Zoroastrians don't accept converts? Now that's a way to grow your religion, don't you think?

Seen any dodgy looking monks hanging around yet Boss? :D

ClaretEngineer
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 406 times

Post by ClaretEngineer » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:47 pm

I think VAR has actually improved the atmosphere.

Nowt like a bad decision to get fans riled up.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:56 pm

houseboy wrote:Or on a door - ha ha. Now that was one dashing hero bud.

Incidentally did you know (oh no I feel one of those 'did you know' moments coming on) that the Zoroastrians don't accept converts? Now that's a way to grow your religion, don't you think?

Seen any dodgy looking monks hanging around yet Boss? :D
Not since the Everton Match there was one hanging around the Fan Zone m8 photo bombing
20191005_144055.jpg
20191005_144055.jpg (396.42 KiB) Viewed 2234 times
Its me Bruv in the middle he is a cheeky Monk(ey) the one on the right is a dodgy bugger though ;)

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:58 pm

TVC15 wrote:VAR in its current format will definitely make things worse. I note that tit Swarbrick who is in charge of VAR gave his first real interview and scored it so far as a 7 out of 10.....unbelievable !!
An ex-player (I think it was Chris Sutton but I may be wrong|) actually asked if he said that with a straight face. I think the PL are going to push this to the hilt because to get rid would be an admission of getting something wrong, which is not what they are about. It will take something dramatic like wholesale demonstrations against it by fans or even a couple of riots after decisions to make them think again.

It's a sad thing because I supported it before it came in but it's like many things that seemed like a good idea at the time - it's just not working, and for Swarbrick to say that it is 7/10 at the moment doesn't bode well, especially when he also said that in 3/4 years we hope it may be 8.5/9. He's basically admitting that he doesn't see a vast improvement in quite a while.

claret2018
Been Liked: 801 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:01 pm

Bring back goal music

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:09 pm

claret2018 wrote:Bring back goal music
You will be asking for "Chico time" :? next or the 1/2 Time Dog Parade :lol:

When Livesey brought the Sunday Sport Girls was a high(low) light too
Last edited by Bosscat on Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cockneyclaret
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 3288 times

Post by cockneyclaret » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:09 pm

claret2018 wrote:Bring back goal music
Rather continue with VAR :lol: :lol: :lol:

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:17 pm

Bosscat wrote:Not since the Everton Match there was one hanging around the Fan Zone m8 photo bombing
20191005_144055.jpg
Its me Bruv in the middle he is a cheeky Monk(ey) the one on the right is a dodgy bugger though ;)
The one on the right is not to be trusted mate. I remember when he was threatening to join the priesthood years ago. He pretended to be a Catholic and started going to church disguised as one. All the time he was taking lessons in unarmed combat from a guy who had been thrown out of the SAS for being too violent. Last I heard he had had to move to Scotland to avoid being arrested.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:20 pm

houseboy wrote:The one on the right is not to be trusted mate. I remember when he was threatening to join the priesthood years ago. He pretended to be a Catholic and started going to church disguised as one. All the time he was taking lessons in unarmed combat from a guy who had been thrown out of the SAS for being too violent. Last I heard he had had to move to Scotland to avoid being arrested.
He is being watched by an undercover operative from MI6 (code name Gillian) I believe ....

Ssssshhhhhh we have said too much already

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:25 pm

Bosscat wrote:He is being watched by an undercover operative from MI6 (code name Gillian) I believe ....

Ssssshhhhhh we have said too much already
That's not my ex-wife Gillian is it? If it is I seriously fear for his safety.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:31 pm

You two are funnier than Eric & Ernie,you really have missed your way.....

Not!

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:36 pm

Bosscat wrote:Not since the Everton Match there was one hanging around the Fan Zone m8 photo bombing
20191005_144055.jpg
Some Burnley fans are really good looking

Some arnt.. :D

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:44 pm

Steve1956 wrote:Some Burnley fans are really good looking

Ahhhhh .... Its Steve. ... If Carlsberg made comedians ... Steve would be "Fosters"
Hello Steve :D

:lol: :lol: Some bugger will accuse us of being a Cliquey Triumverate next :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bags not being Pompey (he didn't fare well in that one ;)) mind you Julius Caesar met with a Sticky end too "Et tu Brute"
Last edited by Bosscat on Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:51 pm

Bosscat wrote:Ahhhhh .... Its Steve. ... If Carling made comedians ... Steve would be "Fosters"

:lol: :lol: Some bugger will accuse us of being a Cliquey Triumverate next :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bags not being Pompey (he didn't fare well in that one ;)) mind you Julius Caesar met with a Sticky end too "Et tu Brute"
Hang on while I look up what those big words mean!

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:08 pm

TVC15 wrote:VAR in its current format will definitely make things worse. I note that tit Swarbrick who is in charge of VAR gave his first real interview and scored it so far as a 7 out of 10.....unbelievable !! The VAR people and refs seem to be oblivious to what the rest of football are telling them - including ex refs like Halsey who are constantly condemning the implementation of VAR.

As for the general decline in atmosphere at Premier League grounds I think that this is mostly true - there are definitely exceptions when you hear the noise generated at the likes of Sheff United and Villa park but that may be down to them being promoted. There will be many reasons for the decline but for me it’s probably the “sanitisation” of the people who go to watch.
United for example have 15,000 corporate hospitality people every home game - 15,000 !!!
You then have a lot more women and families attending the games - nothing wrong with this of course but does change the atmosphere.
And finally - again mostly at the big clubs - you are getting a lot of overseas people attending the games. This has become big business - at Liverpool last year I was in a queue for food before the game and I think I was the only one from this country. Japanese, Scandinavians, Germans - it was a real eye opener. I know a lot of the houses around Anfield now are being rented out as part of a package for overseas visitors coming to the game. This happens at United and other big teams too.

The away followings are different I suppose because you are getting more of the old hardcore of fans travelling - and it’s a bit more tribal / back to the old days.
This is absolutely spot on. It MAY be that us "old timers" will have to accept that for footy to move forward and remain successful and that in the "natural evolution" of such things, it will inevitably become more sanitised and less tribal and more corporate and I have thought about that quite a bit since we've been in the PL as I've witnessed what I perceive to be small steps in that direction. It's sad and imo a shame in some ways, but I do wonder whether we're expecting things to remain the same, when nothing in life ever does.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:44 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:This is absolutely spot on. It MAY be that us "old timers" will have to accept that for footy to move forward and remain successful and that in the "natural evolution" of such things, it will inevitably become more sanitised and less tribal and more corporate and I have thought about that quite a bit since we've been in the PL as I've witnessed what I perceive to be small steps in that direction. It's sad and imo a shame in some ways, but I do wonder whether we're expecting things to remain the same, when nothing in life ever does.
Think you are right - unfortunately !
It’s also nearly always impossible to recreate great moments in your past - whether that’s non football or football - it just rarely turns out like this. A lot of the best times I have ever had at a football match you would never have predicted beforehand and was also related to how old I was, being with your mates, not having kids (!!) and generally having far less pressure on you in life / work. There is no way in a million years I would now consider for a second doing the stuff we used to do back then - I’m not physically capable !!!
I suppose the positive way of looking at it is at least we have been there and lived it - through all the divisions etc. The younger generation in the last 10 years have seen some great games and players but will probably never (or rarely) see the atmosphere we used to experience at nearly every away game.
Anyway there’s nowt much we can do about it - other than reminisce and make the best of what football has become. I still love to play and watch the game - and just like I can’t run around as much now playing I don’t get as excited watching it either.
International breaks like this and often not playing at home for 3 or 4 weeks at a time I hate - and makes me realise how much I miss it when we don’t have it....looking forward to watching Luxembourg against Slovenia though !
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:56 pm

Bosscat wrote:Ahhhhh .... Its Steve. ... If Carling made comedians ... Steve would be "Fosters"

Who said you never see all three of us on the same thread at the same time. It's bloody hard work keeping 3 accounts going though.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:57 pm

houseboy wrote:Who said you never see all three of us on the same thread at the same time. It's bloody hard work keeping 3 accounts going though.
Veni Vidi Vici m8

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:00 pm

Steve1956 wrote:Some Burnley fans are really good looking

Aah Steve. You've obviously not seen me lately. I recently won a George Clooney lookalike competition. Odd though because I thought it was a Brad Pitt competition. Still, can't complain.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:02 pm

Bosscat wrote:Veni Vidi Vici m8
Can I be Vici? Go on can I? And where's Vene when you need him? Up in bloody Scotalnd that's where.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:02 pm

houseboy wrote:Aah Steve. You've obviously not seen me lately. I recently won a George Clooney lookalike competition. Odd though because I thought it was a Brad Pitt competition. Still, can't complain.
I always remember Max Bygraves telling that old Chestnut...

He was in Brighton and there were auditions for a "Max Bygraves impersonator" for a laugh he auditioned under a false name .... He came 3rd

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:04 pm

Bloody hell that took some juggling phone and Tablet to post on both accounts at same time but I DID IT

:lol: :D :D :lol:

And watching the Goldfinches/Snooker and keeping up with under23's v AFC Fylde too who says men can't multitask :D
20191112_144522.jpg
20191112_144522.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 1969 times

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:07 pm

With you two being so intelligent is it tough when you log on as Steve1956 and have to act totally numb? :D

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:08 pm

Bosscat wrote:I always remember Max Bygraves telling that old Chestnut...

He was in Brighton and there were auditions for a "Max Bygraves impersonator" for a laugh he auditioned under a false name .... He came 3rd
I saw Michael Cain being interviewed and he did it as well. At least mine was more original, a kind of variation on a theme. My best attempt at an impersonation is actually Quasimodo as he gives Esmerelda her lunch then says 'I'm going to leave you now so that you cannot see my ugly face while you eat'. Sadly people say I'm very good at it.

Squarepusher
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by Squarepusher » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:11 pm

Firthy wrote:Too many foreign players and not enough British players in a lot of teams. I used to love watching English teams in Europe back when Forest and the like were doing well with mostly British players. Now watching the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea with sometime 11 overseas players doesn't interest me.

Pretty much the same in the PL. For me there just isn't the same passion and excitement following teams without British players. I guess that's why I'm lucky being a Burnley supporter.
Can't say I've ever felt like this. We could have eleven Martians playing for us, and I'd want to get behind us just the same as I do now.
This user liked this post: Steve1956

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:14 pm

Steve1956 wrote:With you two being so intelligent is it tough when you log on as Steve1956 and have to act totally numb? :D
Don't worry Steve, soon there will only be two of us. Boss is off to South America to escape the wrath of the Papacy. He thinks Patagonia is good because the internet is sh!t there. He's taking up goat herding. And the pampas grass is so high they'll never find him. Unfortunately I not sure of the wisdom of his choice given that South America is 95% Catholic and monks abound in large numbers, some of them highly skilled in the art of silent death.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:50 pm

Steve1956 wrote:With you two being so intelligent is it tough when you log on as Steve1956 and have to act totally numb? :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: quite easy m8 ;)

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:54 pm

houseboy wrote:Don't worry Steve, soon there will only be two of us. Boss is off to South America to escape the wrath of the Papacy. He thinks Patagonia is good because the internet is sh!t there. He's taking up goat herding. And the pampas grass is so high they'll never find him. Unfortunately I not sure of the wisdom of his choice given that South America is 95% Catholic and monks abound in large numbers, some of them highly skilled in the art of silent death.
Did you know the 2nd language in Patagonia is Welsh ... Google it m8 makes very interesting reading... (but not the welsh language version thats undecypherable apart from "Heddlu" ...... )

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms ... liW8on8c0c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Like I keep saying its Edukashunal in ere innit

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:08 pm

Bosscat wrote:Did you know the 2nd language in Patagonia is Welsh ... Google it m8 makes very interesting reading... (but not the welsh language version thats undecypherable apart from "Heddlu" ...... )

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms ... liW8on8c0c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Like I keep saying its Edukashunal in ere innit
You know Boss I did know that. I think it's pretty much the same bunch that settled on the Falklands. Only the Welsh and sheep could survive there bud. And doesn't Heddlu mean police. Why would you know that?

I worked for a Welsh business magazine for some time mate and although Welsh is as foreign to me as Martian (I think I understand Japanese more) I do know about pronunciation and it always makes me chuckle when English people mispronounce things. The best one is Llannelli. Pronounced (forgive me on this one it's hard to write) Thlenethli (or thereabouts) and people say Laneli (with the 2 L's pronounced normally).

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:12 pm

houseboy wrote:You know Boss I did know that. I think it's pretty much the same bunch that settled on the Falklands. Only the Welsh and sheep could survive there bud. And doesn't Heddlu mean police. Why would you know that?

I worked for a Welsh business magazine for some time mate and although Welsh is as foreign to me as Martian (I think I understand Japanese more) I do know about pronunciation and it always makes me chuckle when English people mispronounce things. The best one is Llannelli. Pronounced (forgive me on this one it's hard to write) Thlenethli (or thereabouts) and people say Laneli (with the 2 L's pronounced normally).
Riding along the old A5 in North Wales on a high powered motorcycle one was always aware of Heddlu in the mirrors m8 ;)
This user liked this post: houseboy

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:15 pm

Bosscat wrote:Riding along the old A5 in North Wales on a high powered motorcycle one was always aware of Heddlu in the mirrors m8 ;)
But wouldn't you then know them as the Ulddeh?

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:18 pm

houseboy wrote:But wouldn't you then know them as the Ulddeh?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Even the Heddlu know about having it written backwards on the Bonnet like the eciloP and ecnalubmA services :D :D :D

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:25 pm

Bosscat wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

Even the Heddlu know about having it written backwards on the Bonnet like the eciloP and ecnalubmA services :D :D :D
The Ecilop and the Ecnalubma sound like two warring races from the land that time forgot. :lol: :lol: :lol: