Atmosphere in the PL.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Re: Atmosphere in the PL.

Post by Bosscat » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:33 pm

houseboy wrote:The Ecilop and the Ecnalubma sound like two warring races from the land that time forgot. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: more like the underground race from "The Time Machine" .... Morlocs

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:53 pm

Bosscat wrote::lol: :lol: more like the underground race from "The Time Machine" .... Morlocs
That was my first thought but I assumed my joke would be lost on the masses. :lol:

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:54 pm

houseboy wrote:That was my first thought but I assumed my joke would be lost on the masses. :lol:
Thats OK house I would've known who/what you meant bud ;)

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:57 pm

Bosscat wrote:Thats OK house I would've known who/what you meant bud ;)
It reminded me somewhat of the Eloi.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 pm

houseboy wrote:It reminded me somewhat of the Eloi.
Keano :D was in the original m8 didn't need much make-up ;)
Dvbhla8X4AIrX2d.jpg
Dvbhla8X4AIrX2d.jpg (148.79 KiB) Viewed 388 times

willsclarets
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:11 pm

It's a tricky one to dissect, but I think the reasons for a more sterile atmosphere cross the leagues. While encouraging more families to attend is hard to criticise, the fact you don't have beered up fellas dominating stand only areas is going to mean less noise.

The high prices and focus on a more corporate sport all round, have taken the game, particularly at the higher level, away from grass-roots supporters who see the club as part of the community. The result is a collective that are less involved with the club they support; less comarardary, less innovative songs etc. It all knocks on. Today the stadium feels more like a lot of people in individual groups. Even at Burnley.

Safe- standing obviously has an impact, which is well discussed. The other thing I'd mention is the players themselves. They are supreme athletes, given stats they have to hit and analysis that creates roles restrictive of individual freedom and expression. Where would Matt le tissier fit now? He wouldn't. He couldn't run, defend, or fit into a rigid ideal. But he kept Southampton up year after year with individual brilliance that must've been worth the entrance fee for those supporters. I'd argue that even players like Dennis Bergkamp are a dying breed. The game is full of brilliant players but short of individuals.

Overall the corporate nature of the game, the pressure on statistics and moulding of players into mechanical parts, the lack of community and ownership of a club and well, the lack of booze on standing terraces, makes the game experience a somewhat stale affair. That's not to say I want the turf full of drunk blokes, just an honest appraisal of why (amongst other things) it is so.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:22 pm

willsclarets wrote:It's a tricky one to dissect, but I think the reasons for a more sterile atmosphere cross the leagues. While encouraging more families to attend is hard to criticise, the fact you don't have beered up fellas dominating stand only areas is going to mean less noise.

The high prices and focus on a more corporate sport all round, have taken the game, particularly at the higher level, away from grass-roots supporters who see the club as part of the community. The result is a collective that are less involved with the club they support; less comarardary, less innovative songs etc. It all knocks on. Today the stadium feels more like a lot of people in individual groups. Even at Burnley.

Safe- standing obviously has an impact, which is well discussed. The other thing I'd mention is the players themselves. They are supreme athletes, given stats they have to hit and analysis that creates roles restrictive of individual freedom and expression. Where would Matt le tissier fit now? He wouldn't. He couldn't run, defend, or fit into a rigid ideal. But he kept Southampton up year after year with individual brilliance that must've been worth the entrance fee for those supporters. I'd argue that even players like Dennis Bergkamp are a dying breed. The game is full of brilliant players but short of individuals.

Overall the corporate nature of the game, the pressure on statistics and moulding of players into mechanical parts, the lack of community and ownership of a club and well, the lack of booze on standing terraces, makes the game experience a somewhat stale affair. That's not to say I want the turf full of drunk blokes, just an honest appraisal of why (amongst other things) it is so.
I reckon the main point is fans don't congregate together like in the old days of Standing ... hence singing areas so the noise is spread... hence why away fans tend to dominate at times as the noisy ones are all grouped together.

All seater stadia has greatly contributed to the sterility of Football stadiums in the higher leagues

ClaretEngineer
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 406 times

Post by ClaretEngineer » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:31 pm

Bosscat wrote:Keano :D was in the original m8 didn't need much make-up ;)
Dvbhla8X4AIrX2d.jpg
By ‘eck Grant Hanley has improved with age.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:34 pm

ClaretEngineer wrote:By ‘eck Grant Hanley has improved with age.
Brilliant :lol: :lol: :lol: I was using a Lancashire Telegraph character from the old days when house was on there ..... never thought about Hanley brilliant m8
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3336 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:58 pm

willsclarets wrote:It's a tricky one to dissect, but I think the reasons for a more sterile atmosphere cross the leagues. While encouraging more families to attend is hard to criticise, the fact you don't have beered up fellas dominating stand only areas is going to mean less noise.

Excellent points there Wills and I agree pretty much wholeheartedly. As mentioned earlier I think the "tribalism" is reducing, especially in the PL and although crowds may be large, many people are there for the football generally and don't have massive and "unconditional" allegiance to the clubs they may well say they support. That will definitely impact on atmosphere.
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:30 am

I think that is a pretty fair assessment bud. There definitely is a move away from the grass roots fan I think and I also wonder if many fans no longer identify with the players. Years ago when there was much less financial pressure on players to perform they would often live in the community and even go to the pubs where fans went. I was actually thinking the other day about where our players actually live - where DO they live? I have no idea. Has anyone recently seen Tarks out in a local pub or club or having a meal? Has anyone bumped into Barnes walking his dog locally? Where do they live? I definitely believe fans are distanced from the players now, many of whom earn more money in a week than most people would in 3 years.

I still love the game in general but I am now past the point of a Burnley loss ruining my weekend like it used to. In the past I would still go into work on Monday morning in a bad mood after a Saturday afternoon loss. No longer. If we lose at 5.45 I am pretty much over it by the time I'm eating my tea. And if we got relegated I wouldn't lose any sleep. All this I find a little sad. It could of course be age and the lack of enthusiasm that comes with that but I do think it is more than that.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:33 am

Bosscat wrote:Keano :D was in the original m8 didn't need much make-up ;)
Dvbhla8X4AIrX2d.jpg
Mmm - look at that gorgeous creature in the state of sexual ecstacy - the woman ain't bad either.