War of the Worlds....

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

War of the Worlds....

Post by Bosscat » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:01 pm

OK anyone else watched it and what do you think????

It has promise ....
This user liked this post: WestMidsClaret

WestMidsClaret
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 506 times

Re: War of the Worlds....

Post by WestMidsClaret » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:02 pm

Recording it shhhhhh.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:13 pm

Glad that someone has finally done an adaptation in the right place and period in history. Early 20th century weapons being useless against Martians always seemed more realistic than those from the nuclear age.

WestMidsClaret
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 506 times

Post by WestMidsClaret » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:15 pm

When I caught the end of the trailer last night I honestly thought it was the tripods being remade, never thought it would be war of the world's. When I was a kid and went to my dad's I would listen to the Jeff Wayne's musical version on record every Sunday and watch the black and white film. Can't wait to watch it.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:19 pm

Looked like tripods!

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:21 pm

IanMcL wrote:Looked like tripods!
Makes the tripods look like milking stools ;)

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by Vintage Claret » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:05 am

Couple of slightly confusing moments (which I won't elaborate on for anyone that hasn't seen it yet) but overall a promising start, will be watching the 2nd episode.

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:13 am

does look promising just hope they haven't put all the effort into the first episode then it dwindles off
good viewing and enjoyed last nights airing

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:14 am

Vintage Claret wrote:Couple of slightly confusing moments (which I won't elaborate on for anyone that hasn't seen it yet) but overall a promising start, will be watching the 2nd episode.
I was slightly confused by what was supposed to be London clearly being St George’s Hall in Liverpool and the surrounding area ;)

Think most of it was filmed in Merseyside and Cheshire.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:39 am

martin_p wrote:I was slightly confused by what was supposed to be London clearly being St George’s Hall in Liverpool and the surrounding area ;)

Think most of it was filmed in Merseyside and Cheshire.
I thought the scenes of Devastation were filmed around Ewoowarwood ... lets face it no need for Cgi there :lol:

Joking apart am looking forward to episode 2

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:47 am

My nickname is tripod.

Croydon Claret
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 756 times

Post by Croydon Claret » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:00 pm

Anybody watching this who hasn't listened to Jeff Wayne's soundtrack?

If so then download it pronto

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 719 times
Has Liked: 510 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:20 pm

Did anyone notice that the background music was a slow classical variation of the main theme in the Jeff Wayne version? Was certainly noticeable at certain points.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:57 pm

Recorded but not watched yet but the ads seem to make it look 'right'. The film adaptations have stolen the whole story and made it America saves the world again (in modern times). This is (or appears to be) the correct story set in Victorian (I think) times. Does the first pod still land in Leatherhead? Can't think there will be too many spoilers for me as I've read the book twice and we all know how it ends. Can't wait to see it though.

His Dark Materials is moving along nicely too.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:59 pm

Croydon Claret wrote:Anybody watching this who hasn't listened to Jeff Wayne's soundtrack?

If so then download it pronto
We still have a copy on vinyl. ;) Great piece but wouldn't be half the piece it is if it wasn't for Justin Hayward. Generally great but his contributions stand out for me.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:00 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:My nickname is tripod.
Is it really - nice one for the ladies.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:11 pm

houseboy wrote:Recorded but not watched yet but the ads seem to make it look 'right'. The film adaptations have stolen the whole story and made it America saves the world again (in modern times). This is (or appears to be) the correct story set in Victorian (I think) times. Does the first pod still land in Leatherhead? Can't think there will be too many spoilers for me as I've read the book twice and we all know how it ends. Can't wait to see it though.

His Dark Materials is moving along nicely too.
It's set in early Edwardian times (about 1905 I think) rather than late Victorian, but that puts it less than ten years ahead of when it should have been so no big deal. It's certainly not an exact retelling of the book, the main characters are changed and rounded out slightly to give them more of a story (the book just had a nameless 'narrator') but it's certainly true to the spirit of the book so far. But we'll see how the next two weeks pan out, I really hope they don't change the ending. I've read the book two or three times and I enjoyed episode one, so far so good,

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:15 pm

houseboy wrote:Is it really - nice one for the ladies.
Yeah they love using him to stand on when changing a light bulb :lol: :lol:
martin_p wrote:It's set in early Edwardian times (about 1905 I think) rather than late Victorian, but that puts it less than ten years ahead of when it should have been so no big deal. It's certainly not an exact retelling of the book, the main characters are changed and rounded out slightly to give them more of a story (the book just had a nameless 'narrator') but it's certainly true to the spirit of the book so far. But we'll see how the next two weeks pan out, I really hope they don't change the ending. I've read the book two or three times and I enjoyed episode one, so far so good,
I have it on Kindle m8 along with "The Time Machine" another great read ...

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:53 pm

martin_p wrote:It's set in early Edwardian times (about 1905 I think) rather than late Victorian, but that puts it less than ten years ahead of when it should have been so no big deal. It's certainly not an exact retelling of the book, the main characters are changed and rounded out slightly to give them more of a story (the book just had a nameless 'narrator') but it's certainly true to the spirit of the book so far. But we'll see how the next two weeks pan out, I really hope they don't change the ending. I've read the book two or three times and I enjoyed episode one, so far so good,
Sounds good. I enjoyed both the film versions but it wasn't War of the Worlds as I know it. David Hedison I think was the main character in the earlier one (he of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea fame). And I still prefer it to the Tom Cruise one, although that was good if you didn't bother too much about the original story.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:00 pm

Defo set in 1905 as one of the opening scenes recalls the Russian Baltic Fleet on its way to being sunk at Tsushima thinking North Sea fishermen were actually Japanese torpedo boats, which is a true story and actually happened.
Last edited by Lancasterclaret on Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: Lord Beamish Bosscat

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:01 pm

Bosscat wrote:Yeah they love using him to stand on when changing a light bulb :lol: :lol:

I have it on Kindle m8 along with "The Time Machine" another great read ...
HG Wells and Arthur C Clarke - my two all-time favourite Sci-fi writers. There was a realism built into Clarke's stuff that remained even in the flights of fancy. I remember a battle taking place on the moon in, I think, a Fall of Moondust, in the war between the colonists of Mars and Earth and it took place in complete silence because of the lack of atmosphere. Quite haunting stuff. Childhood's End is still one of my favourite books ever, even though it does finish with the end of the world (oops - that's some spoiler).

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:13 pm

houseboy wrote:HG Wells and Arthur C Clarke - my two all-time favourite Sci-fi writers. There was a realism built into Clarke's stuff that remained even in the flights of fancy. I remember a battle taking place on the moon in, I think, a Fall of Moondust, in the war between the colonists of Mars and Earth and it took place in complete silence because of the lack of atmosphere. Quite haunting stuff. Childhood's End is still one of my favourite books ever, even though it does finish with the end of the world (oops - that's some spoiler).
Dig out "Mysterious Island" m8 but 1st read "20,000 Leagues under the sea" Jules Verne a master story teller too m8. Again all on my kindle :) holiday reading ....
houseboy wrote:Sounds good. I enjoyed both the film versions but it wasn't War of the Worlds as I know it. David Hedison I think was the main character in the earlier one (he of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea fame). And I still prefer it to the Tom Cruise one, although that was good if you didn't bother too much about the original story.
David Hedison was Felix Leiter to both Moore (live and let die) and Dalton (Licence to Kill)
Last edited by Bosscat on Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Millertime v1.7
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by Millertime v1.7 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:15 pm

martin_p wrote:Glad that someone has finally done an adaptation in the right place and period in history. Early 20th century weapons being useless against Martians always seemed more realistic than those from the nuclear age.
what you mean "finally"? Speilberg already did a version in the modern era, bud. Can see you're not much of a cinephile. Leave the critiques to the experts in future mate

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:19 pm

Millertime v1.7 wrote:what you mean "finally"? Speilberg already did a version in the modern era, bud. Can see you're not much of a cinephile. Leave the critiques to the experts in future mate
He was spot on though millerlite v0.3 :lol: :lol: :lol: your critique is not exactly expert and total tosh ;)

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:32 pm

Millertime v1.7 wrote:what you mean "finally"? Speilberg already did a version in the modern era, bud. Can see you're not much of a cinephile. Leave the critiques to the experts in future mate
You do realise your error, don’t you? Spielberg’s. Erosion was set in the beginning of 21st century, it the beginning of the 20th.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:32 pm

Sorry bud but what exactly is your 'critique' about? There have been two films (as far as I know) and neither is set in the right time or in any way like the original. I think you might have mis-read what he put a little.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:33 pm

I quite liked the Tom Cruise version to be fair.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:37 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:I quite liked the Tom Cruise version to be fair.
The special effects were excellent. The film lagged a bit in the last reel, but overall it was a fair effort.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:39 pm

Bosscat wrote:Dig out "Mysterious Island" m8 but 1st read "20,000 Leagues under the sea" Jules Verne a master story teller too m8. Again all on my kindle :) holiday reading ....

David Hedison was Felix Leiter to both Moore (live and let die) and Dalton (Licence to Kill)
He was also the scientist in the original The Fly. He went under the name of Al Hedison then for some reason. Never forget him as Lee Crane in 'Voyage' though, one of my favourite TV programmes of my youth/childhood.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:43 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:The special effects were excellent. The film lagged a bit in the last reel, but overall it was a fair effort.
Excellent film but not at all close to the book. Even remotely. The only connection was the Alien attack and the war machines. And what were those things that dropped from the sky in the beginning? Nice film though and very impressive (Cruise was goods as well).

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:47 pm

houseboy wrote:Excellent film but not at all close to the book. Even remotely. The only connection was the Alien attack and the war machines. And what were those things that dropped from the sky in the beginning? Nice film though and very impressive (Cruise was goods as well).
WotW 1953 film didn't star David Hedison house...

Have just double checked it, it was the Actor from Burkes Law .... Gene Barry.

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 998 times
Has Liked: 2044 times

Post by LeadBelly » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:53 pm

I was slightly confused by what was supposed to be London clearly being St George’s Hall in Liverpool and the surrounding area ;)
I went with a relative for a look round central Liverpool in early April 2018, they were filming this around St George's Hall then. Quite a lot of actors/extras and film crew.
It illustrates how long these types of series take to plan/film/release I guess as that's 18-19 months ago. I'd forgot all about it until this was just on air.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:58 pm

Bosscat wrote:WotW 1953 film didn't star David Hedison house...

Have just double checked it, it was the Actor from Burkes Law .... Gene Barry.
Sorry about that Boss, I knew it was a well known TV actor, musta been getting confused with the Fly.

I'd like to congratulate Boss for spotting my deliberate mistake with regard to this film. I was of course just testing the readers on here to see if they were taking notice. Oh do shut up Ian. :roll: :roll: :roll:

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:02 pm

LeadBelly wrote:I went with a relative for a look round central Liverpool in early April 2018, they were filming this around St George's Hall then. Quite a lot of actors/extras and film crew.
It illustrates how long these types of series take to plan/film/release I guess as that's 18-19 months ago. I'd forgot all about it until this was just on air.
I was in Gloucester a couple of years ago and went to the cathedral and they were filming something then but alas I never got to find out what it was but it was something quite major judging by all the equipment and cameras. I do know that the cloisters there were used in some of the Harry Potter scenes but it wasn't that because the series was finished before then. Wonder if anyone would know, would be interesting to find out.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:04 pm

houseboy wrote:Sorry about that Boss, I knew it was a well known TV actor, musta been getting confused with the Fly.

I'd like to congratulate Boss for spotting my deliberate mistake with regard to this film. I was of course just testing the readers on here to see if they were taking notice. Oh do shut up Ian. :roll: :roll: :roll:
It wasn't really a spot m8 ...

I just looked up "David Hedison" as you had prompted some early memories with "Voyage to the bottom of the Sea" and Captain Crane

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:10 pm

Bosscat wrote:It wasn't really a spot m8 ...

I just looked up "David Hedison" as you had prompted some early memories with "Voyage to the bottom of the Sea" and Captain Crane
Loved that series mate. Used to always wait for that moment when Seaview would almost leap from the water when surfacing. I think it was well ahead of it's time. Could never quite understand though why that amazing piece of science fiction hardware was named like a cheap Blackpool hotel. :lol: :lol:

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:15 pm

houseboy wrote:Loved that series mate. Used to always wait for that moment when Seaview would almost leap from the water when surfacing. I think it was well ahead of it's time. Could never quite understand though why that amazing piece of science fiction hardware was named like a cheap Blackpool hotel. :lol: :lol:
Irwin Allen wrote and produced it along with another number of sci fi projects... Lost in Space, Land of the Giants, The Time Tunnel....... He also did (I think) "The Poseidon Adventure" and "Towering Infermo"

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 998 times
Has Liked: 2044 times

Post by LeadBelly » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:21 pm

I was in Gloucester a couple of years ago and went to the cathedral and they were filming something then but alas I never got to find out what it was but it was something quite major judging by all the equipment and cameras. I do know that the cloisters there were used in some of the Harry Potter scenes but it wasn't that because the series was finished before then. Wonder if anyone would know, would be interesting to find out.
Some of the (most recent version of) Mary Queen of Scots was filmed there in summer 2017; couldve been that. I havent seen that film yet, looks a bit cheesy v historic reality.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:33 pm

LeadBelly wrote:Some of the (most recent version of) Mary Queen of Scots was filmed there in summer 2017; couldve been that. I havent seen that film yet, looks a bit cheesy v historic reality.
Sounds about right as it think it might have been around then. Never actually seen that.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:35 pm

Bosscat wrote:Irwin Allen wrote and produced it along with another number of sci fi projects... Lost in Space, Land of the Giants, The Time Tunnel....... He also did (I think) "The Poseidon Adventure" and "Towering Infermo"
He was responsible for some good stuff mate. By the way did the Towering Infermo suffer from subsidence? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:39 pm

houseboy wrote:He was responsible for some good stuff mate. By the way did the Towering Infermo suffer from subsidence? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:( bloody typo's dontcha just luv em :lol: :lol: :lol: bloody smartphone keyscreens and Man size fingers not a good match :lol: :lol: :lol:
This user liked this post: houseboy