BREAKING NEWS: Paul McCartney

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Paul McCartney

Post by dermotdermot » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:05 pm

Why so offensive? Have you bought tickets?

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32372 times
Has Liked: 5270 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:07 pm

fatboy47 wrote:He's an old git with a face like something out of a geriatric dementia ward...and hes written nothing but crap since the early 70s.

If the bland dogmuck regurgitated by McCartney snce then had been served up by some no-mark band at Stackstead Workers theyd probably have been paid to bugger off.

Utterly insipid old tossbag.

Are you not a fan fatboy47?
These 2 users liked this post: longsidepies fatboy47

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:18 pm

All the people making negative comments.....of you met him, you’d all be on here going “guess who I met?” :lol:

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:22 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:All the people making negative comments.....of you met him, you’d all be on here going “guess who I met?” :lol:
I have met him and bought him a pint.
These 2 users liked this post: LoveCurryPies Claret-On-A-T-Rex

LoveCurryPies

Post by LoveCurryPies » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:27 pm

I don’t understand all the people who want to knock those who created the soundtrack to our lives.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:36 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:I don’t understand all the people who want to knock those who created the soundtrack to our lives.

I like them a lot, watched endless hours of footage . they were (as a band, jaw dropping at times, )
i am looking forward to going to see an old pal soon, his dad was an engineer at the abbey road studios, and has tapes and some of their recording equipment, hopefully will be able to find out if its capable of being restored .

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:41 am

I was fortunate enough to see him live at a private gig with my employer a few years ago (private = 8000 corporate attendees). Amazing stuff. Voice gone or not, there's magic afoot simply listening to McCartney doing Beatles numbers

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:20 am

If someone asked me who was my favourite vocalist(of all time) I'd have to say Sir Paul (at his peak). Massive regret never seeing the great man live in any of his guises whether with the Beatles, Wings or the various line ups. Would I still watch him given the opportunity? Probably yes but I'd be afraid of being disappointed. Credit to him and his ilk for still performing in advancing years. He certainly is an inspiration but Sir Paul please don't spoil the legacy.

LoveCurryPies

Post by LoveCurryPies » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:44 am

I saw The Bootleg Beatles in Liverpool in 1982.....they were excellent! :lol:

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:10 am

dermotdermot wrote:This just has to be a contender for one of the most stupid posts ever submitted on this forum.
Why.
Exactly.
Just look at what you have written, analyse it then come back and say again what you have just said. Remember you have claimed my post about McArtney to be 'one of the most stupid posts ever submitted on this forum'. You need to look at yourself son, really. And you should be careful about using the word 'stupid', it has a tendency to come back and bite you in the ass.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1006 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by LeadBelly » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:28 am

Would I still watch him given the opportunity? Probably yes but I'd be afraid of being disappointed. Credit to him and his ilk for still performing in advancing years. He certainly is an inspiration but Sir Paul please don't spoil the legacy.
This is pretty much my view too.
Crazy that people are knocking him for being "an old git" / "overrated" etc, he's achieved worldwide renown for pleasing people and never ****ed anybody over despite his wealth and power (in fact, he seems an all-round good guy). Written/part-written/performed some of the best known songs of the last 55+ years, many of which still resonate with new listeners.
Having said all that- I probably wouldnt go and see him live now. I go to a lot of gigs (36th of the year this Sunday gone) but nowadays I usually avoid people who I liked a lot but think their voice has probably deteriorated to a point where Id be disappointed.
I go and see some people I liked in the 60s/70s still but usually people who's singing voices weren't that important to their acts or known to be still good.
This user liked this post: ashtonlongsider

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:21 am

LeadBelly wrote:I go and see some people I liked in the 60s/70s still but usually people who's singing voices weren't that important to their acts or known to be still good.
I can remember going to watch Jethro Tull about 5-6 years ago, maybe longer. I was hugely disappointed. Prior I'd seen Tull on the Thick as a Brick tour in the early seventies at Liverpool Stadium and Ian Anderson was the supreme showman. Whether, in general its the artist or us trying to recreate the days our youth I'm not sure.
Just a postscript, I am going to see a modern artist tonight. Not exactly kicking and screaming but its one of my wife's gigs and she says its pay back time..... Jack Savoretti at Bridgewater Hall.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2460 times
Has Liked: 1990 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:31 am

Dyched wrote:Beyonce has 22 Grammys. Doesn’t stop her from being ******* shite
Yeah but you know you would. Fit as....

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:57 am

LoveCurryPies wrote:All the people making negative comments.....of you met him, you’d all be on here going “guess who I met?” :lol:
Yes maybe they would but wouldn't they say the same if they had ever met Ossama Bin Laden? Famous people get a mention if people meet them whether they are good bad or indifferent.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:04 am

LeadBelly wrote:This is pretty much my view too.
Crazy that people are knocking him for being "an old git" / "overrated" etc, he's achieved worldwide renown for pleasing people and never ****ed anybody over despite his wealth and power (in fact, he seems an all-round good guy). Written/part-written/performed some of the best known songs of the last 55+ years, many of which still resonate with new listeners.
Having said all that- I probably wouldnt go and see him live now. I go to a lot of gigs (36th of the year this Sunday gone) but nowadays I usually avoid people who I liked a lot but think their voice has probably deteriorated to a point where Id be disappointed.
I go and see some people I liked in the 60s/70s still but usually people who's singing voices weren't that important to their acts or known to be still good.
Agree with a lot of this. Yes he's an 'old git' but then so am I and that is not an issue and I'm certain he is one of the nicest people ever, he seems a decent enough chap. My only issue is with him being over-rated as a solo artist. With the Beatles and writing with Lennon yes, excellent, and some of his 'solo' songs with the Beatles (Let It Be - brilliant and Yesterday - which even Lennon acknowledged as great) but his solo stuff has, by and large, left me cold. Of course as I have always said music is subjective and each to his own and in my own humble opinion McArtney as a solo artist has been unbelievably boring.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:12 am

claret2018 wrote:“ but his songwriting skills leave a little to be desired”

Jesus wept
In my opinion that is true. If you think I am wrong please tell me what he has written in the last 15 years that is good. If I haven't heard it then I'll listen and give you an honest appraisal. If I look back over the last 40 years I can count on the fingers of one hand the things I have heard that I have liked. I stand by my statement - in my opinion he has been living off his Beatles fame and more importantly his partnership with the (far superior) Lennon. For what it's worth the best solo Beatle was Harrison - by a mile.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:20 am

houseboy wrote:In my opinion that is true. If you think I am wrong please tell me what he has written in the last 15 years that is good. If I haven't heard it then I'll listen and give you an honest appraisal. If I look back over the last 40 years I can count on the fingers of one hand the things I have heard that I have liked. I stand by my statement - in my opinion he has been living off his Beatles fame and more importantly his partnership with the (far superior) Lennon. For what it's worth the best solo Beatle was Harrison - by a mile.

Changed 15 years to 45 and you have a valid point.

Like all those 60’s greats. Paul had a period when he was superb. Nowadays, well for the last 40 years him, Dylan, The Who, The Stones, whoever bloody else has been really shite.

All Things Must Pass by Harrison surpasses anything McCartney ever did after The Beatles. Lennon was a different league altogether.

People will have a great time seeing him granted. But thats not for me. I’m far too young to have seen him in his prime and I won’t bother seeing him now. I adore Dylan and had the opportunity 4/5 years ago of seeing him in LA. No chance. It’d be like seeing Pele play football tomorrow.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:23 am

houseboy wrote:In my opinion that is true. If you think I am wrong please tell me what he has written in the last 15 years that is good. If I haven't heard it then I'll listen and give you an honest appraisal. If I look back over the last 40 years I can count on the fingers of one hand the things I have heard that I have liked. I stand by my statement - in my opinion he has been living off his Beatles fame and more importantly his partnership with the (far superior) Lennon. For what it's worth the best solo Beatle was Harrison - by a mile.
But Lennon/McCartney was a partnership in name alone. It’s well known they used to write the songs individually with minimal input from the other. I saw a programme a few years ago on the Top 50 Beatles songs, one of those lists where the public has voted. Was interesting to note that most of the top ten were McCartney songs. Now clearly you wouldn’t necessarily agree with that (and for what it’s worth I probably wouldn’t either) but it seems the general public has deemed McCartney the better song writer.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:39 pm

martin_p wrote:But Lennon/McCartney was a partnership in name alone. It’s well known they used to write the songs individually with minimal input from the other. I saw a programme a few years ago on the Top 50 Beatles songs, one of those lists where the public has voted. Was interesting to note that most of the top ten were McCartney songs. Now clearly you wouldn’t necessarily agree with that (and for what it’s worth I probably wouldn’t either) but it seems the general public has deemed McCartney the better song writer.
I doubt Lennon would agree either. I know a lot of people love McArtney and I hope they enjoy him at Glastonbury and if they do that's great, he's just not for me.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:45 pm

Dyched wrote:Changed 15 years to 45 and you have a valid point.

Like all those 60’s greats. Paul had a period when he was superb. Nowadays, well for the last 40 years him, Dylan, The Who, The Stones, whoever bloody else has been really shite.

All Things Must Pass by Harrison surpasses anything McCartney ever did after The Beatles. Lennon was a different league altogether.

People will have a great time seeing him granted. But thats not for me. I’m far too young to have seen him in his prime and I won’t bother seeing him now. I adore Dylan and had the opportunity 4/5 years ago of seeing him in LA. No chance. It’d be like seeing Pele play football tomorrow.
I know what you mean. I had the privilege of seeing The Who at Belle View (terrible venue) back in the 70's just before Moon died and it was simply sublime - no big light show just pure raw energy and Daltrey basically running on the spot for nearly 2 hours swinging the mike round his head and missing Townsend by a whisker. Moon coming to the front to sing Bell Boy and even Entwistle performing Boris the Spider. A magical night that I will never forget. Would I want to see them now? No - I am afraid it would spoil the magic of that night all those years ago.

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1006 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by LeadBelly » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:29 pm

All a matter of taste but I prefer All Things Must Pass to anything Lennon did, let alone Macca.(Though maybe something to do with my life being in an extremely good place in early 1971).
The real lesson from their careers is that The Beatles in total was something magically much more than the sum of parts.

Ptangyangkipperbang
Been Liked: 198 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by Ptangyangkipperbang » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:50 pm

Why anyone would actually want to attend Glastonbury these days is beyond me it's overblown overhyped for middle Englanders.Its lost all its spirit

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:32 pm

LeadBelly wrote:All a matter of taste but I prefer All Things Must Pass to anything Lennon did, let alone Macca.(Though maybe something to do with my life being in an extremely good place in early 1971).
The real lesson from their careers is that The Beatles in total was something magically much more than the sum of parts.
Agreed totally. Lennon and McCartney were magical in the Beatles in many ways, although they over shadowed Harrison shockingly. Ringo just got lucky as just about anyone who could play drums to a basic degree could have drummed for them. As a unit yes, they were groundbreaking (although just how so is open to debate considering the genius that was George Martin behind them in the studio - Sergeant Peppers would not have existed as it did but for him) but only (for me) Harrison really shone after they split. He was allowed free rein with his own stuff and it was truly special I think. I wasn't even that big a fan of John Lennon really either, I bought Double Fantasy and it was really only half an album if you take off the dreadful stuff Yoko did on it. He had his moments but again didn't really do it for me too much.

dermotdermot

Post by dermotdermot » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:09 pm

Keep taking the tablets.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1812 times
Has Liked: 1792 times

Post by dougcollins » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:21 pm

fatboy47 wrote:He's an old git with a face like something out of a geriatric dementia ward...and hes written nothing but crap since the early 70s.

If the bland dogmuck regurgitated by McCartney snce then had been served up by some no-mark band at Stackstead Workers theyd probably have been paid to bugger off.

Utterly insipid old tossbag.

So do you like him or not?

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:26 pm

dougcollins wrote:So do you like him or not?
Granny music

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6477 times
Has Liked: 2908 times

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:00 pm

Lennon
Harrison
Starr
Pete Best
Running a distance fifth McCartney and his silly thumbs up to everyone and everything.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:06 pm

Steve1956 wrote:Lennon
Harrison
Starr
Pete Best
Yoko
Running a distance sixth McCartney and his silly thumbs up to everyone and everything.
Fixed
This user liked this post: Steve1956

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2460 times
Has Liked: 1990 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:09 pm

houseboy wrote:I bought Double Fantasy and it was really only half an album if you take off the dreadful stuff Yoko did on it. He had his moments but again didn't really do it for me too much.
Mrs Trevor got me it as a Xmas present. One listen and I took it back, told them it was jumping and traded it for something decent.
I’ll watch Macca at Glasto as I binge on it every year. I don’t listen to radio so the televised festivals are my annual intro to new bands
This user liked this post: houseboy

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:15 pm

Steve1956 wrote:Lennon
Harrison
Starr
Pete Best
Yoko
Billy Preston
Running a distance seventh McCartney and his silly thumbs up to everyone and everything.
Dyched wrote:Fixed
Proper fixed
This user liked this post: Dyched

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:19 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Proper fixed
:lol:

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:34 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I have met him and bought him a pint.
With a little luck no doubt.

Maybe I'm amazed, but it was just another day for you.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:23 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:With a little luck no doubt.

Maybe I'm amazed, but it was just another day for you.
Ha ha - long time ago, 1972 I think.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:39 am

Chobulous wrote:Granny music
as if somehow, grannies are not in need of good tunes, and the know f*** all yoof, are the taste purveyors, hahahaha, what a stupid post.

dsr
Been Liked: 4569 times
Has Liked: 2259 times

Post by dsr » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:49 am

houseboy wrote:... please tell me what he has written in the last 15 years that is good. If I haven't heard it then I'll listen and give you an honest appraisal. If I look back over the last 40 years I can count on the fingers of one hand the things I have heard that I have liked. I stand by my statement - in my opinion he has been living off his Beatles fame ...
So? There are some flattering articles about Colin McDonald on this message board. How many saves has he made in the last 40 years? None. So bleeding what - if you grow old and become less able to do what you used to be the best at - that's no reason at all to sneer.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:45 am

dsr wrote:So? There are some flattering articles about Colin McDonald on this message board. How many saves has he made in the last 40 years? None. So bleeding what - if you grow old and become less able to do what you used to be the best at - that's no reason at all to sneer.
True, but then Colin McDonald won’t be attempting to save some penalties at the Turf next week and charging an exorbitant amount of money to see it, I think that’s the point people are making.

Not that I necessarily agree (your analogy was a poor one) I’d go and see McCartney anytime. Whatever you think of his output since the Beatles he’s a bona fide legend who helped change music.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4181 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:22 am

Comes across as a decent generous guy.

I can remember him buying his ex a plane for christmas

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:40 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Comes across as a decent generous guy.

I can remember him buying his ex a plane for christmas
Was that for her to shave her wooden leg?

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:15 am

dsr wrote:So? There are some flattering articles about Colin McDonald on this message board. How many saves has he made in the last 40 years? None. So bleeding what - if you grow old and become less able to do what you used to be the best at - that's no reason at all to sneer.
I was using 15 years as a timescale bud. For me it could be 40. He wasn't old and past it in the 70's and I still didn't like him. I don't know why people seem to get all offended if you don't like what they listen to , I like a lot of stuff other people would hate and it bothers me not one jot. I get sick of saying music is subjective, if you think it's good it's good, if not then it isn't. People like Beyonce or Little Mix or Maria Carey are unbelievably successful but I wouldn't cross the street to see them (well, maybe to SEE them but not listen to :lol: ).

Incidentally I have just this morning downloaded Parsley Sage Rosemary & Thyme by S&G. Drove to work in an absolute dream. I'm sure some people didn't like them (but not too many of my era I suspect).

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:16 am

I was using 15 years as a timescale bud. For me it could be 40. He wasn't old and past it in the 70's and I still didn't like him. I don't know why people seem to get all offended if you don't like what they listen to , I like a lot of stuff other people would hate and it bothers me not one jot. I get sick of saying music is subjective, if you think it's good it's good, if not then it isn't. People like Beyonce or Little Mix or Maria Carey are unbelievably successful but I wouldn't cross the street to see them (well, maybe to SEE them but not listen to :lol: ).

Incidentally I have just this morning downloaded Parsley Sage Rosemary & Thyme by S&G. Drove to work in an absolute dream. I'm sure some people didn't like them (but not too many of my era I suspect).

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:19 pm

Some absolute dross being touted as music on jools Holland BBC2......shocking stuff.

dermotdermot

Post by dermotdermot » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:27 pm

You’re not kidding! Who on earth is the girl wearing the lace curtains? Wait a minute, Tom Jones is on now.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:32 pm

dermotdermot wrote:You’re not kidding! Who on earth is the girl wearing the lace curtains? Wait a minute, Tom Jones is on now.
Reached for the off button at that point...I'm sure Andy was in the audience.

dermotdermot

Post by dermotdermot » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:35 pm

Well you missed Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds. They weren’t too bad. I only switched it on because of your post anyway.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:46 pm

dermotdermot wrote:Well you missed Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds. They weren’t too bad. I only switched it on because of your post anyway.
:lol: I like and missed them.