Bravest thing you have seen.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Terrier
Been Liked: 227 times
Has Liked: 124 times

Bravest thing you have seen.

Post by Terrier » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:42 pm

With all the news about china it reminded me of tank man or unknown rebel as he was nicknamed, he was the man who stood in front of the tank in Tiananmen square with nothing but two bags of shopping.
I like to think I am good on my principles but could I do that, nope!!

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6716 times

Re: Bravest thing you have seen.

Post by bfcjg » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:49 pm

Back end of the pantomine horse King George's Hall Blackburn.
These 4 users liked this post: Bosscat bodge Colburn_Claret Juan Tanamera

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2145 times
Has Liked: 3063 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:51 pm

The footage of the Scottish pipers landing on the beaches on d-Day will take some beating.
These 6 users liked this post: Croydon Claret Funkydrummer Bosscat Colburn_Claret ClaretMov Juan Tanamera

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:04 pm

Watching the Isis guys fly those planes into the twin towers. I know people like to frame courage as something that is morally right but it didnt half take some balls to do what they did even if it was for an horrific cause
These 2 users liked this post: duncandisorderly Lord Beamish

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:21 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Watching the Isis guys fly those planes into the twin towers. I know people like to frame courage as something that is morally right but it didnt half take some balls to do what they did even if it was for an horrific cause

:lol: :lol: :lol:

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:37 pm

Saddam Hussain faced his Death with a Lot more Balls than Bush or Bliar ever would.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:39 pm

There was a 13yr old girl on the news tonight that protected her 18 month old niece/nephew from machete wielding attackers in their home.
She got some bad injuries in the attack.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

Bop
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 343 times

Post by Bop » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:12 pm

Ben Mee at Reading.
These 2 users liked this post: BertiesBeehole mdd2

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:14 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Watching the Isis guys fly those planes into the twin towers. I know people like to frame courage as something that is morally right but it didnt half take some balls to do what they did even if it was for an horrific cause
Nah they only did it cos of the endless paedophilia on offer in the afterlife.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:16 pm

tarkys_ears wrote:Nah they only did it cos of the endless paedophilia on offer in the afterlife.
Better keep Prince Andrew well away from the cockpit next time he's flying
These 2 users liked this post: Claret-On-A-T-Rex Lord Beamish

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:20 pm

Prince Andrew disobeying direct orders to fly in pitch darkness to rescue a squad of trapped men in his helicopter in the Falklands Conflict under heavy fire.
A selfless action of unprecedented bravery that left him unable to sweat.
These 2 users liked this post: Lord Beamish Juan Tanamera

yTib
Been Liked: 704 times
Has Liked: 657 times

Post by yTib » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:37 pm

i once saw a 5'7'' frenchman take on about ten of my young friends in a brawl single handed and stood up to it.

easily the hardest man i've ever seen.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:43 pm

That's not bravery, it's blind faith in some sky fairy by some some brainwashed, mindless morons.

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1273 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:51 pm

If one footballer ever epitomised the meaning of bravery, that player was Peter 'Uwe' Noble.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:01 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:If one footballer ever epitomised the meaning of bravery, that player was Peter 'Uwe' Noble.
And Terry Butcher?

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:27 pm

There is only one definition of total bravery for me and that is putting your own life on the line to help others. Sadly some of these brave souls don’t survive and that is on another level.

Re: the twin towers. There are thousands of people who have committed suicide for a cause. They are all mentally deranged to even contemplate it. They need sympathy, not glorifying.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:14 pm

Not if you are 100% brainwashed or believe a better existence awaits. The suicidal bombers ect are convinced enough to do it, it's nothing to them with that fixated mindset.

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1599 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:24 pm

Don’t come much braver than the firefighters climbing the stairs in the twin towers as everyone else was going down.
These 5 users liked this post: tim_noone Wile E Coyote ClaretMov yTib Juan Tanamera

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:44 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:Don’t come much braver than the firefighters climbing the stairs in the twin towers as everyone else was going down.
very true curry, more so because they weren't acting instinctively , they had time to realise how catastrophic it could be, and still entered the stairwells.
This user liked this post: Chip Harrison

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1599 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:50 pm

We all probably have a relative who fought in the World Wars and aged 19 or 20. I simply can’t imagine how frightening that would be.

I do know someone who served in Afghanistan and returned with ptsd but sadly his daughter, having witnesses the change in her father, also needed help.

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:50 pm

My two children watching their mum (my ex wife) at the age of just 50 battle cancer for six months then losing that battle in June of this year.

Especially my 17 year old daughter going through all that and at the same time studying for her A levels working part time and trying to pass her driving test so she can commute to Preston university next year to study for a nursing degree and follow in her mum's footsteps.

Bravest, hardest and proudest I've seen and felt.
These 19 users liked this post: tim_noone LoveCurryPies Jakubclaret spadesclaret mybloodisclaret Vegas Caballo Tricky Trevor Lancasterclaret jordsclarets Fretters yTib Juan Tanamera Longside4evr Dyched ashtonlongsider Salou bfcjg Claret Pimlico_Claret

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:55 pm

ClaretMov wrote:My two children watching their mum (my ex wife) at the age of just 50 battle cancer for six months then losing that battle in June of this year.

Especially my 17 year old daughter going through all that and at the same time studying for her A levels working part time and trying to pass her driving test so she can commute to Preston university next year to study for a nursing degree and follow in her mum's footsteps.

jesus !! that is tough, very, very brave indeed.

CaptainKirk
Been Liked: 385 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by CaptainKirk » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:49 am

********!

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:43 am

I've been watching the Hong Kong protests and the protesters and police are incredibly mismatched. They've been going up against riot police with tear gas, armoured cars and water cannons protected mainly by umbrellas. You'll see them pushed back by tear gas or the water cannon and then five minutes later they'll be back again. I've had a few whiffs of tear gas and it isn't something I'd willingly keep exposing myself to.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:34 am

Didn’t see it but have read about it “Titus Oates”
That was bravery to try and save others
Plus all the guys who fought for us in both World Wars

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:35 am

aggi wrote:I've been watching the Hong Kong protests and the protesters and police are incredibly mismatched. They've been going up against riot police with tear gas, armoured cars and water cannons protected mainly by umbrellas. You'll see them pushed back by tear gas or the water cannon and then five minutes later they'll be back again. I've had a few whiffs of tear gas and it isn't something I'd willingly keep exposing myself to.
That sound more like stupidity than bravery.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:48 am

Jakubclaret wrote:That sound more like stupidity than bravery.
Lots of people in the world don't enjoy the freedoms that you take for granted Jakub. Never forget that.

Bravest thing I've ever seen?

People born in the 1950s going on about how tough it was in World War II because they only saw a banana when they were four.

Now that is bravery I just can't comprehend.
This user liked this post: Lord Beamish

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:54 am

And Lancaster in addition to that as it is my generation, not getting bananas as it wasn’t the season for them as only had them at certain times of the year
Also I think this correct most bananas landed in UK via the docks in Barry South Wales

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:55 am

Jakubclaret wrote:That sound more like stupidity than bravery.
I'd say there's often a fine line between the two. Given the fatality rates in the trenches then going over the top and charging a machine gun nest was stupid but undoubtedly also brave.

These protesters were trying to occupy the police so that other protesters could escape from the university where they were surrounded by police. I'd say that's pretty brave.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:58 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Lots of people in the world don't enjoy the freedoms that you take for granted Jakub. Never forget that.

People born in the 1950s going on about how tough it was in World War II because they only saw a banana when they were four.

True I can't disagree with that, but people having restricted freedom doesn't affect me personally, in no shape or form will my position in everyday life be significantly altered. It's better to accept it is what it is & quite frankly don't give a s**t.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:01 am

Jakubclaret wrote:True I can't disagree with that, but people having restricted freedom doesn't affect me personally, in no shape or form will my position in everyday life be significantly altered. It's better to accept it is what it is & quite frankly don't give a s**t.
No offence Jakub, but that complacency is asking for trouble.

Whoever is in charge, never forget that they would like more control over what you do and how you do it.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:07 am

ClaretMov wrote:My two children watching their mum (my ex wife) at the age of just 50 battle cancer for six months then losing that battle in June of this year.

Top post mate.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:08 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:No offence Jakub, but that complacency is asking for trouble.

Whoever is in charge, never forget that they would like more control over what you do and how you do it.
That's just my own personal perspective outlook on life, I don't really care it's better to take control of situations you can change & than somewhere thousands of miles away with a different way of life, people meddle & get involved too much & make situations worse, it's easier to step back & just let them get on with their way of life.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:11 am

Jakubclaret wrote:That's just my own personal perspective outlook on life, I don't really care it's better to take control of situations you can change & than somewhere thousands of miles away with a different way of life, people meddle & get involved too much & make situations worse, it's easier to step back & just let them get on with their way of life.
Good job we never had that attitude in 1939 isn't it?

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:15 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Good job we never had that attitude in 1939 isn't it?
Completely different to a madman wanting to conquer Europe & maybe the world than a handful of p*ss*d off students in Hong Kong, don't you think!

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:18 am

The guy in Hacksaw ridge.

I know the Amerocans dramatise films to death but it's a true story of a guy who got bullied in Army training as he wouldnt carry a gun, he wanted to be a medic in the war.

He stayed on top of the ridge lowering casualties down on his own after the Americans had been forced back down again. 75 people he got down in the dark and in enemy territory.

The film based on a true story

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:21 am

Jakubclaret wrote:Completely different to a madman wanting to conquer Europe & maybe the world than a handful of p*ss*d off students in Hong Kong, don't you think!
Point is that you have to draw the line somewhere in every situation.

This one isn't great for the UK, and it shows that when we pulled out of Hong Kong (and there wasn't anything else we could do btw) and left it at the mercy of some legislation document with China, they and us could only hope that the Chinese kept to their side of the bargain.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:27 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Point is that you have to draw the line somewhere in every situation.

This one isn't great for the UK, and it shows that when we pulled out of Hong Kong (and there wasn't anything else we could do btw) and left it at the mercy of some legislation document with China, they and us could only hope that the Chinese kept to their side of the bargain.
Let them get on with it, it'll sort itself out, eventually when a certain side recognises it's futile the side will back down, pain is the persuader.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:15 am

Having to go on stage in the Christmas school play aged nine wearing some girl's red ribbed tights ('cos that's what they wore in Winter in the early sixties) because I was playing an old fashioned joker. Gives me shivers to think about it now.

Of course since then I've got used to it!

Edit. Actually I didn't see it. Unfortunately plenty of people did.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:21 am

You know mate this is a good post. Sometimes the bad guy does brave things and you have to give them credit. My dad was in the army during the war and saw a lot of bad stuff but he always said he had nothing but admiration for German Soldiers, he described them as disciplined, brave and honourable. And how many on here would sign up to be a kamikaze pilot? As for the Isis guys, whatever people may think (and I would probably agree with you all) there is no fiercer enemy than one who doesn't fear death.
This user liked this post: Devils_Advocate

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:26 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Lots of people in the world don't enjoy the freedoms that you take for granted Jakub. Never forget that.

I was born in '54 bud but I don't remember any shortages of anything (although to be fair you don't recall much before you are 4 so maybe by '58 the worst was over).

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5520 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:30 am

Nigel Farage bravely, dare I say courageously, putting the country before his own party.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:33 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:Nigel Farage bravely, dare I say courageously, putting the country before his own party.
Thats a good point.

Can't have been easy telling 350 odd gammon that the money they had paid to be election candidates wasn't going to be given back to them as they need it for, er, "expenses".

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5520 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:33 am

houseboy wrote:You know mate this is a good post. Sometimes the bad guy does brave things and you have to give them credit. My dad was in the army during the war and saw a lot of bad stuff but he always said he had nothing but admiration for German Soldiers, he described them as disciplined, brave and honourable. And how many on here would sign up to be a kamikaze pilot? As for the Isis guys, whatever people may think (and I would probably agree with you all) there is no fiercer enemy than one who doesn't fear death.
I'm not sure all German soldiers could be described as honourable. Those fighting on the front line, possibly but I don't think there's anything honourable about those who shot innocent men, women and children in cold blood.

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:38 am

Jakubclaret wrote:Let them get on with it, it'll sort itself out, eventually when a certain side recognises it's futile the side will back down, pain is the persuader.
Well that's the end of this thread. Might is right and bravery is stupid.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:38 am

aggi wrote:I'd say there's often a fine line between the two. Given the fatality rates in the trenches then going over the top and charging a machine gun nest was stupid but undoubtedly also brave.

These protesters were trying to occupy the police so that other protesters could escape from the university where they were surrounded by police. I'd say that's pretty brave.
I have often wondered how brave those guys were walking into machine gun fire. On the face of it it is very brave but it was the better alternative to being shot by your own side for cowardice. On the field of battle you at least have a chance, when stood in front of a firing squad you have none.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:23 am

aggi wrote:Given the fatality rates in the trenches then going over the top and charging a machine gun nest was stupid but undoubtedly also brave.
Not much option, bud. Go over the top and get obliterated or cower and get shot for cowardice.

Chip Harrison
Been Liked: 126 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by Chip Harrison » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:12 am

Jakubclaret wrote:Let them get on with it, it'll sort itself out, eventually when a certain side recognises it's futile the side will back down, pain is the persuader.
I think you are the least brave poster on here. I'm not sure if you are on a wind up, but your attitude or stance is quite simply pathetic.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:24 am

Chip Harrison wrote:I think you are the least brave poster on here. I'm not sure if you are on a wind up, but your attitude or stance is quite simply pathetic.
No not at all, I just realise it's pointless being concerned about some situations, I'd rather concentrate on situations where I can have some input & influence leading to change. Worrying about some Hong Kong student thousands of miles away doesn't sync with that same cognitive process.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:35 pm

houseboy wrote:You know mate this is a good post. Sometimes the bad guy does brave things and you have to give them credit. My dad was in the army during the war and saw a lot of bad stuff but he always said he had nothing but admiration for German Soldiers, he described them as disciplined, brave and honourable. And how many on here would sign up to be a kamikaze pilot? As for the Isis guys, whatever people may think (and I would probably agree with you all) there is no fiercer enemy than one who doesn't fear death.
I'm not sure it's right though. 'Bravery' surely requires a balance between what you feel you have to do and what you might lose by doing it. If (rightly or wrongly) you've decided that all the outcomes of an action, including your own demise, are positive, there's no bravery required, surely? I'm not meaning to trivialise it but there's more bravery in me risking a paper cut than what they did because I think a paper cut is a downside. They (in their own minds) had no downside.