Heaton Interview with Sky regarding his Career Path

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
burnleymik
Been Liked: 1171 times
Has Liked: 2916 times

Heaton Interview with Sky regarding his Career Path

Post by burnleymik » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:34 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D91bc9CMOM8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting watch. Makes many references to the "style of play" at Burnley.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Re: Heaton Interview with Sky regarding his Career Path

Post by MACCA » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:48 pm

burnleymik wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D91bc9CMOM8

All teams have a style of play, and rarely if ever you'll go from 1 club to another where they play exactly the same style.

Squarepusher
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by Squarepusher » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:52 pm

I watched this, and don't think he said anything particularly disparaging. Simply that he'd grown used to the style of play at Burnley, and wanted to challenge himself with another. I expect he feels it will help with his chances of getting into the England team.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4185 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:53 pm

Can't blame a player if he wants regular 1st team football, clearly didn't want to be number 2 hence why he felt it was the right time to move on.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Squarepusher wrote:I watched this, and don't think he said anything particularly disparaging. Simply that he'd grown used to the style of play at Burnley, and wanted to challenge himself with another. I expect he feels it will help with his chances of getting into the England team.
I’m not sure how much style of play would affect a keeper, other than throwing it out rather than kicking it.
These 2 users liked this post: IanMcL BertiesBeehole

Squarepusher

Post by Squarepusher » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:58 pm

martin_p wrote:I’m not sure how much style of play would affect a keeper, other than throwing it out rather than kicking it.
If Southgate is looking for a keeper who is comfortable playing out from the back, I imagine he'd be more likely to look at one that plays for a team that does that. Plus, Villa are still seen as a bigger club than us.

burnleymik

Post by burnleymik » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:05 pm

I interpreted it slightly different, with his remarks about his new gaffer being more open minded with his style rather than the way he was used to playing and "forcing" it. It did seem like he was having a dig at Dyche and his style.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:05 pm

Squarepusher wrote:If Southgate is looking for a keeper who is comfortable playing out from the back, I imagine he'd be more likely to look at one that plays for a team that does that. Plus, Villa are still seen as a bigger club than us.
Yes, but realistically he isn’t going replace a younger keeper (Pickford) as first choice and he was probably already number two while at Burnley. But now Pope is getting game time he may have pushed himself down to third choice England keeper.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:05 pm

Squarepusher wrote:If Southgate is looking for a keeper who is comfortable playing out from the back, I imagine he'd be more likely to look at one that plays for a team that does that. Plus, Villa are still seen as a bigger club than us.
And I'd argue are weaker defensively so he'll have more opportunities to shine.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:07 pm

As kicking it out is often to the full backs or centre backs, Pope demonstrated that was not an issue this week. He can throw far and he can accurately hit very long balls.

Best of all, he can save the ones the little guys can't and catch the dangerous high balls into the box!

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32402 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:07 pm

burnleymik wrote:I interpreted it slightly different, with his remarks about his new gaffer being more open minded with his style rather than the way he was used to playing and "forcing" it. It did seem like he was having a dig at Dyche and his style.
Didn't see that at all and knowing Tom I can't think for one minute that he would ever use an interview like that to have a dig at a former manager.

Squarepusher

Post by Squarepusher » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:10 pm

martin_p wrote:Yes, but realistically he isn’t going replace a younger keeper (Pickford) as first choice and he was probably already number two while at Burnley. But now Pope is getting game time he may have pushed himself down to third choice England keeper.
Realistically, no, I wouldn't expect him to replace a younger keeper playing at a bigger club, but things happen. Pickford could easily have a severe loss of form or suffer an injury. Can't really blame Tom for trying to keep himself in the frame as much as possible.

WakeyClaret

Post by WakeyClaret » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:06 pm

I believe it was a good move for all parties, Tom (who has been a great servant) was slipping down the pecking order & probably was told that by SD, he had a chance to gain extra monies, guarantee a first team place whilst giving us a fee & leaving the path open for Nick Pope ..

WakeyClaret

Post by WakeyClaret » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:08 pm

I believe it was a good move for all parties, Tom (who has been a great servant) was slipping down the pecking order & probably was told that by SD, he had a chance to gain extra monies, guarantee a first team place whilst giving us a fee & leaving the path open for Nick Pope ..

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:09 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Didn't see that at all and knowing Tom I can't think for one minute that he would ever use an interview like that to have a dig at a former manager.
Even though they didn't see eye to eye for the last 12 months?

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2167 times
Has Liked: 3100 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:14 pm

He moved for more money and 1st team football. Im not sure why there would be a need to over egg the pudding re: "style of play"

Rowls
Been Liked: 5096 times
Has Liked: 5159 times

Post by Rowls » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:21 pm

There was a doubt over his first team place here and he was getting -we beleive- a much larger offer at Villa.

Given the service he gave to Burnley FC he leaves with best wishes and his decision was understandable.

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1149 times
Has Liked: 1443 times

Post by Pearcey » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:25 pm

I certainly didn’t see him say anything negative about our club or manager. Good luck to him. Great servant and great keeper.
This user liked this post: Amex

burnleymik

Post by burnleymik » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:29 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Didn't see that at all and knowing Tom I can't think for one minute that he would ever use an interview like that to have a dig at a former manager.
Fair enough, but why mention so many times and why make the statements about the new manager essentially being more open-minded about style of play?

It did seem like he was throwing shade towards Dyche. Nothing nasty, I don;t believe Tom is like that and as other have said he was excellent for Burnley and I will always have the utmost respect for him.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32402 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:38 pm

Pearcey wrote:I certainly didn’t see him say anything negative about our club or manager. Good luck to him. Great servant and great keeper.
Totally agree with that
This user liked this post: Amex

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2972 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:09 pm

What's he supposed to have said wrong ?

I don't detect anything tbh.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:13 pm

Who cares? Some people are so obsessed with ex players and what they have or haven’t said about us. He’s in the past. He got paid, did his job and left.
This user liked this post: mapinchina

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2596 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:18 pm

Funkydrummer wrote:What's he supposed to have said wrong ?
I was wondering that - or if I had seen the same interview. Top guy, great keeper.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1463 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:33 pm

burnleymik wrote:I interpreted it slightly different, with his remarks about his new gaffer being more open minded with his style rather than the way he was used to playing and "forcing" it. It did seem like he was having a dig at Dyche and his style.
I thought he was talking about teams that try and force playing out from the back at every opportunity even when it puts them under undue pressure and that he likes to mix it up a bit?

I didn't see it as a dig at Dyche as we rarely play out from the back. I saw it more as an observation of the modern trend.

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4254 times

Post by Greenmile » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:38 pm

martin_p wrote:I’m not sure how much style of play would affect a keeper, other than throwing it out rather than kicking it.
I don’t pretend to understand tactics well enough to explain this myself, but I’ve heard a few experts talk about how we set up to “funnel” shots into areas where they are easier to save. If true, this style of play would affect the ‘keeper.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3155 times
Has Liked: 6743 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:47 pm

TBF he'd be stupid to say things at BFC were better than at Villa.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:59 pm

NottsClaret wrote:I was wondering that - or if I had seen the same interview. Top guy, great keeper.
What people see is entirely dependent on what agenda they're pushing, or any grievance they have.

See it all the time on here, especially when the team aren't playing well.
At one point there was a suggestion from some that Dyche had lost the dressing room :lol:

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:02 pm

Greenmile wrote:I don’t pretend to understand tactics well enough to explain this myself, but I’ve heard a few experts talk about how we set up to “funnel” shots into areas where they are easier to save. If true, this style of play would affect the ‘keeper.
https://statsbomb.com/2017/02/burnley-d ... fferently/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The article explains it, but you're correct in saying our defence funnels attacking players and their shots.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2972 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:21 pm

The video on that link is an eye opener.

Well drilled indeed.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1152 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:16 pm

Every club a keeper goes to have a variation on style . Villa do play it a bit more open and tbf Tom does love to throw roll and create a little . Seeing him having to punt from hands more often than not late last season was a bit frustrating for him for sure . Though when your at your weakest team wise it’s a necessary evil . Ironically the punt from hands has made a bit of a comeback through the leagues the last year or so

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1152 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:17 pm

Goobs wrote:I thought he was talking about teams that try and force playing out from the back at every opportunity even when it puts them under undue pressure and that he likes to mix it up a bit?

I didn't see it as a dig at Dyche as we rarely play out from the back. I saw it more as an observation of the modern trend.
Exactly how I “ read” it

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2461 times
Has Liked: 1991 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:36 pm

burnleymik wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D91bc9CMOM8

He does but there is not one negative word about Burnley or SD. He’s just telling the truth as he sees it. I think his final comment about playing being his priority is the truth in the whole story.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:17 pm

Can anyone imagine Tom, who is now a Villa player, saying that the club he left is better than the club who are now paying his wages?

Great keeper, Tom Heaton. Great person, as well.

Nick Pope, in the middle of our goal! :D

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:33 pm

I wonder if he will think it was worth moving for a different 'style' to help him get into the England team, when Villa are in the Championship next season?

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:53 pm

And how is that style going? :lol:

We are currently 7 places above Villa.
This user liked this post: burnleymik

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:32 am

If you look at the way Ederson plays compared to Pope. There are also questions of coming for crosses or not, dealing with corners, free kicks etc.. I would think there are many variables.