ARTICLE: Modern homes bad smells and eight goals

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32417 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

ARTICLE: Modern homes bad smells and eight goals

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:23 am

Back to 1959 and what was a fantastic day for the Clarets

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/modern-home ... ight-goals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Re: ARTICLE: Modern homes bad smells and eight goals

Post by LeadBelly » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:15 am

I enjoy reading the context of local/national news in these articles-thanks CT. (Not sure how the violent groom and best man got away with a fine whilst the guys stealing a few quids worth of stuff were banged up though).

I remember that game, as a 9 yo I was towards the back of the Beehole end fairly central. Id started going on without an adult with a few mates of approx the same age and we roamed about a bit seeking the best views & sometimes shared a Bovril from the refreshment kiosk :D behind that end.

I doubt we realized how unusual a score as high as that was at the time but it was a very enjoyable and memorable watch & we walked home happily afterwards.

The first couple of seasons I attended TM (1956/7/8), I'd been with my dad in the Enclosure in front of the stand (I was allowed to sneak on in the turnstile with my dad). A year or two after the Forest game, I deemed I was big enough to watch from the cricketfield end had some great times there watching our team in that atmosphere, never saw an 8-0 from there as far as I remember though.
This user liked this post: Steve1956

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6488 times
Has Liked: 2911 times

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:17 am

LeadBelly wrote:I enjoy reading the context of local/national news in these articles-thanks CT. (Not sure how the violent groom and best man got away with a fine whilst the guys stealing a few quids worth of stuff were banged up though).

I remember that game, as a 9 yo I was towards the back of the Beehole end fairly central. Id started going on without an adult with a few mates of approx the same age and we roamed about a bit seeking the best views & sometimes shared a Bovril from the refreshment kiosk :D behind that end.

I doubt we realized how unusual a score as high as that was at the time but it was a very enjoyable and memorable watch & we walked home happily afterwards.

The first couple of seasons I attended TM (1956/7/8), I'd been with my dad in the Enclosure in front of the stand (I was allowed to sneak on in the turnstile with my dad). A year or two after the Forest game, I deemed I was big enough to watch from the cricketfield end had some great times there watching our team in that atmosphere, never saw an 8-0 from there as far as I remember though.
Amazing recollection of the day.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:23 am

LeadBelly wrote:I enjoy reading the context of local/national news in these articles-thanks CT. (Not sure how the violent groom and best man got away with a fine whilst the guys stealing a few quids worth of stuff were banged up though).

The court cases are staggering aren't they? Banged up for theft but fined peanuts for violence.

My story is similar to yours although we went on the Bee Hole End. These games, sadly, are a year before my time, but I followed you a few years later in the cricket field end. You haven't seen an eight since on the Turf - the only time we've reached that total was in the 9-0 win at Penrith.

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1280 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:22 pm

Aye, a day to remember, that's for sure. Jimmy Robson at his goal poaching best.

And the very first game on the Turf for levraiclaret. What a cracking way to start.

Rodleydave
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 101 times

Post by Rodleydave » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:33 pm

Was at the 8 goal game...remember one of them...Pointer and Robson starting ont half way line passing the ball back and forwards to each other as they advanced...just like it was a training ground exercise. Forget which one scored though.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:34 pm

ClaretTony wrote:The court cases are staggering aren't they? Banged up for theft but fined peanuts for violence.

My story is similar to yours although we went on the Bee Hole End. These games, sadly, are a year before my time, but I followed you a few years later in the cricket field end. You haven't seen an eight since on the Turf - the only time we've reached that total was in the 9-0 win at Penrith.
You tend to find still to this day that crimes against property carry a heavier sentence than crimes against a person.

And it was the 35 year anniversary last week of that 9-0 FA Cup victory at Penrith, a game that I guess will always be the highest scoring game I have ever attended.
This user liked this post: Marty Dobson

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 608 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:37 pm

A groom on his wedding day kicked a cat off a wall, knocked out the owner, then slapped his mother in law to be? Jesus, that’s one hell of a story to tell your grandkids about.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:01 pm

An 'I was there' moment for me. With my dad in the Longside near the halfway line towards the front. Forest wore all white with red trimmings and their No7, Billy Gray, used to play for us so dad kept telling me. The sun shone brightly on an afternoon that was more like Spring than late Autumn. I wouldn't be 8 until the following April but by now I had been well and truly bitten by the Claret bug and these were some of the happiest days of my life.
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:32 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:An 'I was there' moment for me. With my dad in the Longside near the halfway line towards the front. Forest wore all white with red trimmings and their No7, Billy Gray, used to play for us so dad kept telling me. The sun shone brightly on an afternoon that was more like Spring than late Autumn. I wouldn't be 8 until the following April but by now I had been well and truly bitten by the Claret bug and these were some of the happiest days of my life.
I think Billy Gray died on the day we were at Forest in 2011

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Vino blanco » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:47 pm

I remember the game well. I was at the front of the Bee Hole End right on the railings with my mate Peter Ryan. When I got home I rember asking my dad if we could win the league (especially after the win against Wolves as well): he said he thought Woves and Spurs could still be the favourites but perhaps next season we might win it.
Burnley really were a joy to watch in those days: the quality of the attacking, flowing football, the individual skills of Mac, Connelly, Adamson etc. Wonderful, wonderful memories, though I still say what we are currently doing under Sean Dyche is equally as admirable and enjoyable.
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

longsidetrumpet
Been Liked: 219 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by longsidetrumpet » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:59 pm

I too remember the game well too, and I was also on the Beehole End, two days after my ninth birthday. My abiding memory is feeling sorry for Forest!!
As for the news items, the closed pit should read Salterford (near Worsthorne) rather than Salterforth.
Many local footballers will remember getting changed in the pit’s former changing room/showers after they were transferred to the Prairie

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:02 pm

longsidetrumpet wrote:I too remember the game well too, and I was also on the Beehole End, two days after my ninth birthday. My abiding memory is feeling sorry for Forest!!
As for the news items, the closed pit should read Salterford (near Worsthorne) rather than Salterforth.
Many local footballers will remember getting changed in the pit’s former changing room/showers after they were transferred to the Prairie
Thanks trumpet - I’ve corrected the error re: pit name.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:16 pm

I went on with my dad and remember him saying to me a goal for every year of my age after the game.. Great days and super Jimmy Robson..

Bullabill
Been Liked: 303 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Post by Bullabill » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:29 pm

Lot of old buggers on this board.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:42 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:You tend to find still to this day that crimes against property carry a heavier sentence than crimes against a person.

And it was the 35 year anniversary last week of that 9-0 FA Cup victory at Penrith, a game that I guess will always be the highest scoring game I have ever attended.
Very true...can't believe that woman had a Hand in throwing her Husband off the Bus and got away with Murder!

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by Suratclaret » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:23 am

What a game! Jimmy Robson was certainly on his best form at that match. I remember the following Monday at Heasandford School when the head Mr Helliwell told the class I was in that if he heard anyone else talking about that match during class, they would be in serious trouble...you didn't disobey Mr Helliwell!

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:45 am

Could you imagine a school teacher trying that now?

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:08 pm

Suratclaret wrote:What a game! Jimmy Robson was certainly on his best form at that match. I remember the following Monday at Heasandford School when the head Mr Helliwell told the class I was in that if he heard anyone else talking about that match during class, they would be in serious trouble...you didn't disobey Mr Helliwell!
Was he a Nottm.Forest supporter?

longsidetrumpet
Been Liked: 219 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by longsidetrumpet » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:46 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:Was he a Nottm.Forest supporter?
No he was a bully
These 2 users liked this post: Silkyskills1 ClaretTony