VAR overturning correct decisions says Riley

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32540 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

VAR overturning correct decisions says Riley

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:12 pm

Mike Riley has confirmed that VAR overturned four correct onfield decisions in the two weekends prior to this last international break.

A spot kick for Brighton after referee Andy Madley initially waved away pleas when Everton defender Michael Keane caught striker Aaron Connolly inside the box. Albion were 2-1 down with just 12 minutes, but subsequently won the game.

A penalty for Manchester United against Norwich after Stuart Attwell initially ignored claims Daniel James had been fouled by Ben Godfrey. Both managers disagreed with the decision.

The Watford spot-kick against Chelsea after Gerard Deulofeu tumbled under the slightest of contact from Jorginho in the penalty area. Frank Lampard later called for clarification on the use of VAR.

The decision to overturn Sokratis Papastathopoulos's late goal against Crystal Palace last month for an alleged foul in the build-up to his strike. Arsenal, who had let a two-goal lead slip, were ultimately forced to settle for a 2-2 draw at the Emirates.

The VAR man for the fourth of those is our VAR man tomorrow.

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Re: VAR overturning correct decisions says Riley

Post by Suratclaret » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:15 am

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I know I've said this before but VAR wouldn't be necessary if players, encouraged by probably the majority of coaches, didn't cheat. I suppose the exception might be offside decisions.
These 5 users liked this post: mybloodisclaret Colburn_Claret RammyClaret61 Lancasterclaret Buxtonclaret

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1240 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:39 am

The last of those was the most ridiculous decision since the Rugby tackle on Kane not given....good news that he’s our man today. Maybe he’ll get everything right today....even a stopped clock is right twice a day

mickleoverclaret
Been Liked: 398 times
Has Liked: 432 times

Post by mickleoverclaret » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:15 am

So he thought Wood's contact on Evans was much worse than that on Deulofeu or Connolly?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:39 am

mickleoverclaret wrote:So he thought Wood's contact on Evans was much worse than that on Deulofeu or Connolly?
Not once has he ever suggested that VAR decision was incorrect. I also remain convinced that our overturned goal against West Ham is wrong, I’m sure the AVAR has focused on the middle and not seen the right back.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:04 am

It’s quicker to review the ones they have got right.....

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:14 am

Sums up the quality of the referees if they are getting so many decisions wrong after looking at the VAR pictures. Rather them just get it wrong on the pitch.
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank Colburn_Claret

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:36 am

If they're are trying to create perfect decisions then the next logical step for this insanity is incorrect VAR calls being overturned after the event and goals being ruled out weeks later.
Imagine finding out today that Sokratis' goal is given and Palace suddenly have a point removed, or Brightons penalty being overturned causing them to lose 2 points.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:05 pm

On one hand there was always going to be teething problems and you would have faith that it was going to get better if they were getting marginal ones wrong.

Unfortunately, they are missing whoppers and appear to make it up as they go along. They then tell us how well it’s going. You would perhaps even have more faith if they admitted it was currently below par rather than seven out of ten

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:10 pm

Should we not have have VARRT (Video Assistant Referee Review Team). Personally think that this is the only next logical step to take. So if the ref gets it wrong it goes to VAR but then the VARRT have the opportunity to overrule the decision the VAR made when overrulling the Referee. Would make for much longer delays and TV companies would be able to start playing adverts mid match. Also like in America with American Football we would be able to have games that lasted 4 hours.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:36 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Should we not have have VARRT (Video Assistant Referee Review Team). Personally think that this is the only next logical step to take. So if the ref gets it wrong it goes to VAR but then the VARRT have the opportunity to overrule the decision the VAR made when overrulling the Referee. Would make for much longer delays and TV companies would be able to start playing adverts mid match. Also like in America with American Football we would be able to have games that lasted 4 hours.
I think their decisions should be then be appealable to the Final Assistant Review Team who would then consider if any follow through was necessary, this being the remit of the Supervisory Harmonization of Interpretation Team.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Cleveleys_claret

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8535 times
Has Liked: 18275 times

Post by Bosscat » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:42 pm

thatdberight wrote:I think their decisions should be then be appealable to the Final Assistant Review Team who would then consider if any follow through was necessary, this being the remit of the Supervisory Harmonization of Interpretation Team.
I think they could refer it to the International Decisions Institute Of Technical Supervisors or is that the current review board.... Run by Riley and his Cronies...
This user liked this post: thatdberight

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 7571 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:26 pm

Suratclaret wrote:I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I know I've said this before but VAR wouldn't be necessary if players, encouraged by probably the majority of coaches, didn't cheat. I suppose the exception might be offside decisions.
Been saying it for years.
Reckon Pulis and one or two more, could actually write a book on how to fool the Ref without getting caught.
Cheating just keeps on getting worse.
These 2 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 Silverturf