Need you touch the deathly cold stillness of its unbeating little heart to be moved...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Need you touch the deathly cold stillness of its unbeating little heart to be moved...

Post by Spiral » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:44 am

No, not the depressing presentiment of another ashen, charred little baby in one of the myriad kindling-clad matchboxes up and down the country we call housing complexes, this relates to another type of cremation borne of 21st century economic wisdom: the koalas are now functionally extinct.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevornace ... f90b897bad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fire services in New South Wales, Australia have suffered budget cuts which have impacted the service's ability to carry out hazard reduction burns (controlled wildfire mitigation) which, when coupled with the aggravating matter-of-fact way in which climate change is intensifying weather events, is currently wrecking havoc in Australia and bringing koalas near to extinction. It's tempting to think that by living in a pi$$ soaked little corner of the world like England we're reyt, but this misery will somehow contrive to inflict itself upon us eventually, believe me. A woman in England drowned in a flood just the other week. How biblical.

https://independentaustralia.net/articl ... urns,13307" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I suppose the finer details on EU treaties matter more. So as you were, I suppose...

Bullabill
Been Liked: 302 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Re: Need you touch the deathly cold stillness of its unbeating little heart to be moved...

Post by Bullabill » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:50 am

" .......and bringing koalas near to extinction ...."

Bullshit.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Re: Need you touch the deathly cold stillness of its unbeating little heart to be moved...

Post by Damo » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:45 am

Good night was it?

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5073 times
Has Liked: 6847 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:25 am

Coke a Koala

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:25 pm

Bullabill wrote:" .......and bringing koalas near to extinction ...."

Bullshit.
Well the nuance is right there in the article if you're interested. There's a reason the word 'functional' is being used.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:41 pm

I'd be more concerned about the loss of insects then Koalas.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:46 pm

thought this was a post about watford after the final whistle.....my mistake.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4094 times
Has Liked: 6570 times

Post by bobinho » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:55 pm

Gotta love them koala cubes....

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:03 pm

In the Aborigine Language Koala means "no drink"

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:01 pm

Hipper wrote:I'd be more concerned about the loss of insects then Koalas.
As would I. It's strange that in an overtly (or at least I though) political post the comments made are more about the koalas, which are nice and all, but not as important as humans who depend on the ecosystem (of which koalas are a part) in order to live safely and healthily. It all comes under the same umbrella of ecological and environmental systems being trampled under hoof by terribly unsustainable land use, aggressive industrial practices, and energy production. Nothing new to see here, perhaps, but the importance of this point is being completely lost in this election cycle (edit: at least in the mainstream, where the issue gets a cursory mention at best long after talk of Brexit and tax, but I did just notice the climate change thread on here just now!), so I though I'd bring it up, hence the thread. For reasons that are coherent in isolation but perverse in a wider sense, shareholder value (and by extension, opulent wealth) takes precedent over the habitable viability of the only planet in the solar system capable of actually sustaining our own bloody life, and the absolute fiction sold to folks that an economic cost somehow inevitably leads to an economic collapse is rooted too deep in the mind of too many folks, perhaps to the point where the problem is terminal. Saddens me to see weak people confuse indifference (to the point of effectively condoning vandalism) for a display of confidence and strength; those people won't be around when their grandkids are left scrambling to mop up one disaster after the other.

Bullabill
Been Liked: 302 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Post by Bullabill » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:15 pm

Pstotto account 2.