Sorry for Burnley fans.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Baliclaret
Been Liked: 19 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Sorry for Burnley fans.

Post by Baliclaret » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:10 am

Read posts on the Watford forum feeling sorry for Burnley fans having to regularly watch our style of "anti-football" play. Possibly a knee jerk reaction to their defeat, but they are still trying to find a style of their own, changing managers regularly.

There are two scenarios.
One, we try to play like Bournemouth, Wolves or indeed Watford.We probably get relegated.
We would then lose Sean Dyche, this time, plus our Internationals - Pope, Tarkowski, Wood ,Mcneil.
In no time we become a Derby or Sheffield Wednesday or worse still Rovers, Bolton or Blackpool ! Gates down to 11,000.
Or, we accept the Dyche way, which can be dour, but no PL team likes playing us and we hold our own.
I was able to see the style of play in the 60's with Connelly,Mac and Pointer, and the 70's with James, Coates etc, but this is a new era where money talks.We have to adapt as well as we can and if you want to watch some of the best players in the world on the Turf and visit the best grounds then we have the formula right, for now at least.

Living in a country where there is good coverage of the PL and where the locals mainly support Liverpool or United, it gives me great satisfaction to see the Clarets competing with the "blg boys ". whatever the style. Long may it continue.
These 12 users liked this post: Suratclaret Hroogar Leisure Foreverly Claret Bosscat MT03ALG RighteousClaret k90bfc Rubstuds claret54 tim_noone whiffa

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 787 times

Re: Sorry for Burnley fans.

Post by Suratclaret » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:20 am

"Living in a country where there is good coverage of the PL and where the locals mainly support Liverpool or United, it gives me great satisfaction to see the Clarets competing with the "blg boys ". whatever the style. Long may it continue."

Same for me with Man U and Liverpool dominating the PL fan base but we are getting noticed more and more! I've yet to see a Leicester fan despite the club being owned by the family behind King Power.
This user liked this post: turfytopper

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:26 am

Here, here.

You just have to read the autopsies of Stoke City's demise to see what happens when a team with a hard to beat, physical style try to change system to a more 'attractive' style. Our identity and play style is what keeps us where they are, other fans can b1tch and moan but it's up to them to beat us.

Long may it continue that you can have a Chris Wood up with Sergio Aguero's or a Dwight McNeil alongside Mo Salah in your fantasy team.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:27 am

I think it's the Watford fans that need to look at their own team, before expressing sympathy for us .... it's not Burnley who've just recorded their 11th successive home league game without a win, a new and unwanted Club record ...

Call me unfussy, but I don't think I'll get bored of successive 3-0 wins anytime soon ! :D
These 7 users liked this post: turfytopper Marvins Van Bosscat Stayingup JohnMac k90bfc claret54

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1746 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:30 am

Same for me with Man U and Liverpool dominating the PL fan base but we are getting noticed more and more! I've yet to see a Leicester fan despite the club being owned by the family behind King Power.
About twice a year, we go to see the sister-in-law in Market Harborough near Leicester. It’s a rugby town, with Leicester Tigers being the shirts you tend to see and playing fields have rugby posts.

In 2017 I saw King Power shirts around town for the first time. Obviously the area were very proud of Leicester City’s achievements. Since I’ve been back though it’s reverted to being a rugby town again.

RogerBest
Been Liked: 107 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by RogerBest » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:35 am

We don't play anti-football.

Football is about scoring more goals than your opponent. This means preventing your opponent from scoring more than you.

We are very good at this particularly given the resources we have.

There is a joy in watching your team consistently out battle the opposition.

I would far prefer this to watching the lacklustre performances produced by many of our "more talented" rivals.
These 15 users liked this post: turfytopper burnleymik Leisure mybloodisclaret Bosscat Burnley Ace Mayoclaret Ashingtonclaret46 bobinho k90bfc IanMcL BertiesBeehole clerkenwell.claret claret54 tim_noone

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:48 am

Long Ball may it continue.

turfytopper
Been Liked: 408 times
Has Liked: 3421 times

Post by turfytopper » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:51 am

Anti football? The first touch and shots using both feet from our centre half were world class. Oh and he was ok as a defender too ;-)
This user liked this post: Bosscat

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:40 am

I don't know why it's always the opposition fans that get all upset and angry, we have to watch it every week! :lol:

Da Da Da Da Anti Football,

It's very catchy, long may he reign.
These 2 users liked this post: Leisure rincon

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:46 am

I love watching our defence. I love us competing with the best teams in the world and occasionally getting a result.

I worried when we got promoted that I would get bored of us losing every match especially vs the big boys, but the matches in 2019 where we weren’t competitive can be counted on one hand.
This user liked this post: simonclaret

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:46 am

When have Watford ever been a footballing team?
As Taylor invented hoofball they should have no complaints about any other style of play.
We are doing great. Nobody likes playing us but we never go out to kick the opposition off the field. We just out battle them and defend brilliantly against everybody but the elite.
Our goals per chance percentage must be unbelievable.

Culmclaret
Been Liked: 472 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by Culmclaret » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:52 am

I can't tell you how much sorrier I feel for myself than in the mid 80s. It was so much more fun watching a bunch of park footballers trying to play 'the Burnley way' and getting stuffed every week by Aldershot, Torquay, Hartlepool etc in front of 'crowds' of 2000.
These 4 users liked this post: Bosscat Carnsmerry12 Woodleyclaret No Ney Never

Goodclaret
Been Liked: 543 times
Has Liked: 1506 times

Post by Goodclaret » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:55 am

I tell you one thing for sure, I don't feel sorry for Watford being stuck at the bottom of the league looking all lost and, probably, deciding when to pot their latest manager. I won't be sorry when they get relegated.

Foreverly Claret
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 160 times

Post by Foreverly Claret » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:59 am

Good grief what a moron ( Watford moaner ) they let three in and they're criticising us ??Beggars belief . .A lot of clubs find it very difficult to play against us using the Dyche system and that's why we are where we are. Long may it continue

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:14 am

Baliclaret wrote:Long may it continue.
I see what you did there! :lol:

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:17 am

It will be interesting to see which set of obnoxious, whinging fans we get rid of this season.

I think Watford will be one and Southampton possibly another. I suspect Brighton will be ok and we have to stomach them again next season

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:26 am

Let's not forget, a lot of football fans only watch football. They don't get what it's all about - it's a business at the end of the day. The board want points on the board - remain in the Prem - and make more money to enable us to keep improving the stadium, improve the youth team, buy players et al. The way we play, I think, and SD clearly does too, is the best chance of us doing the above - for now.

I'm sure there is a longer term plan and that's to step-by-step, keep improving the club both on and off the pitch and eventually come to the point where we can start playing more attractive football, due to the players we can afford to bring in. That was never going to happen overnight without a billionaire being the owner.
These 7 users liked this post: Goodclaret Bosscat Zom Zom Carnsmerry12 Gerry Hattrick Jel k90bfc

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:32 am

Let’s just enjoy the Sean Dyche way of trying to ‘plot’ each game. Our ‘quality’ will improve but our style doesn’t need to change.

Zom Zom
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 917 times

Post by Zom Zom » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:37 am

It's amazing to me how a club can have so much outside finance, spending money on players who would not look twice at Watford if it wasn't for the amount of money on offer, then have supporters who moan when they lose 0-3 at home and blame the opposition(!), despite the fact that they have been shockingly poor all season and currently sit at the bottom of the table.

Maybe the knee-jerk reactions in the board room with a constant revolving door policy attributed to managers is now taking it's toll? Stability is key. We are the paragon of such a model.
These 4 users liked this post: Bosscat FactualFrank Stayingup k90bfc

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:40 am

FactualFrank wrote:Let's not forget, a lot of football fans only watch football. They don't get what it's all about - it's a business at the end of the day. The board want points on the board - remain in the Prem - and make more money to enable us to keep improving the stadium, improve the youth team, buy players et al. The way we play, I think, and SD clearly does too, is the best chance of us doing the above - for now.

I'm sure there is a longer term plan and that's to step-by-step, keep improving the club both on and off the pitch and eventually come to the point where we can start playing more attractive football, due to the players we can afford to bring in. That was never going to happen overnight without a billionaire being the owner.
Thats a way far too sensible view Frank...

After all we should be expecting the Lionel Messi and Ronaldo style of Football by now ffs .......

Lets face it its about time we started paying proper wages (instead of the Paltry £35k average) and buying players for £80+ million....

We demand Ticka Tacka Brasilian style Football ... winning Trophies and Cups every season.

Not Sensible thoughts like yours Frank bloody hell
:D :D :D
These 3 users liked this post: FactualFrank icu81b4 Down_Rover

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:40 am

Zom Zom wrote:It's amazing to me how a club can have so much outside finance, spending money on players who would not look twice at Watford if it wasn't for the amount of money on offer, then have supporters who moan when they lose 0-3 at home and blame the opposition(!), despite the fact that they have been shockingly poor all season and currently sit at the bottom of the table.

Maybe the knee-jerk reactions in the board room with a constant revolving door policy attributed to managers is now taking it's toll? Stability is key. We are the paragon of such a model.
I do notice that most (all?) supporters who call us for the way we play, follow a club who have/had very wealthy owners in the past which enabled them to buy the better players and play better football. They don't appear to have the required number of brain cells to understand why we play the way we do. It doesn't enter their heads.
This user liked this post: Zom Zom

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:40 am

Not forgetting the likes of Bournemouth and Wycombe.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:43 am

Suratclaret wrote:"Living in a country where there is good coverage of the PL and where the locals mainly support Liverpool or United, it gives me great satisfaction to see the Clarets competing with the "blg boys ". whatever the style. Long may it continue."

Just out of interest is this Surat Gudjarat India?

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:58 am

I am so envious of a team that
1) has no history
2) sacks it’s manager every 4 days
3) has a crap soulless ground
4) has never won a thing
5) has a team of mercenaries who are only there for the money
6) are bottom of the league
7) who got beaten 6-0 in a cup final

We might not be Barcelona but thank feck we are not Watford
These 5 users liked this post: Bosscat Wile E Coyote Woodleyclaret Claret-On-A-T-Rex houseboy

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:08 am

In order to survive in this division Burnley have to target winning points from teams outside the top 6 or 7. With the odd exception they are becoming masters at this. Sam Allardyce had this same philosophy at Bolton.

Watford strike me as a poorly managed club. Changing managers like people change clothes is not good for stability and its showing. Perhaps they are reflecting that they should have kept Sean Dyche. If not they should be.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:09 am

How on earth have we managed to net 20 PL goals with all this anti-football,6th highest scorers and the 3rd time we've bagged 3 in a match,not too shabby is it.

Meanwhile the Hornets have a grand total of 8(EIGHT) goals all season,Leicester bettered that in single game.

The concept of football is very simple,you put the ball in the onion bag,more times than your opponents,i know this is a novel idea for Watford as they've only achieved that feat once.

Enjoy the Championship Andre :)

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:21 am

TVC15 wrote:I am so envious of a team that
1) has no history
2) sacks it’s manager every 4 days
3) has a crap soulless ground
4) has never won a thing
5) has a team of mercenaries who are only there for the money
6) are bottom of the league
7) who got beaten 6-0 in a cup final

We might not be Barcelona but thank feck we are not Watford
Agreed on most of that. Not the “crap, soulless ground “ bit, mind.
Vicarage Rd is, like the Turf, a town centre ground that has developed in a very organic and piecemeal way. I was impressed by its form and aesthetic, and atmosphere when we won there two seasons ago.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:46 am

Lord Beamish wrote:Agreed on most of that. Not the “crap, soulless ground “ bit, mind.
Vicarage Rd is, like the Turf, a town centre ground that has developed in a very organic and piecemeal way. I was impressed by its form and aesthetic, and atmosphere when we won there two seasons ago.
Yep maybe - I was also thinking more about the place itself - which is best known for being a “gap”. When your most redeeming feature is a service station.....
These 2 users liked this post: Barry_Chuckle Claret-On-A-T-Rex

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:50 am

TVC15 wrote:Yep maybe - I was also thinking more about the place itself - which is best known for being a “gap”. When your most redeeming feature is a service station.....
Watford and Watford Gap - are two entirely different things - Watford Gap is a geographical feature that has a service station named after it and Watford is the place we go to collect our points
These 5 users liked this post: FactualFrank Bosscat Ashingtonclaret46 Woodleyclaret fatboy47

jollyjack
Been Liked: 107 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by jollyjack » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:52 am

Watford Gap is about 90 miles north of Watford!

Agree its a drab town, they're not sure if its in London or not. Off to work for three days in Northwood tonight, 2 miles from the ground. Hopefully see a few Hornets fans and stick it to em.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:02 pm

SalisburyClaret wrote:Watford and Watford Gap - are two entirely different things - Watford Gap is a geographical feature that has a service station named after it and Watford is the place we go to collect our points
Well I never knew that !
It’s one of the few grounds I have never been too. Going to have to go now...especially given we have a decent record down there recently

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:24 pm

We now know what that big gap in the away end was yesterday. TVC's coach ended up at Six Fields after taking the scenic route to Watford Gap services

Watford Gap does get its name from Watford but it is the close by village of Watford
These 3 users liked this post: TVC15 Bosscat Lord Beamish

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:43 pm

We seem to have a decent record at Vicarage Rd. I've seen us win there 3 times I think. Obviously forgetting the dismal FA Cup quarter final defeat!

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 185 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:54 pm

If only we had Gray and Deeney up front so we could play the beautiful game like Watford.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:58 pm

Sean Dyche gave us the correct answer at Earby Con Club last month, it isn't 'Long Ball or Anti Football' it is simply 'Effective Football'.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:09 pm

Quite a laugh seeing opposition fans moaning, however, we also have quite a number of our own fans who just don't get the wonderful 'team' performances we produce. Every player plays his part but it is not always appreciated by some.
These 2 users liked this post: Buxtonclaret Woodleyclaret

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:30 pm

In the words of our song "no one likes us we dont care" Long may our bad results continue UTC

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:48 pm

Darnhill Claret wrote:Not forgetting the likes of Bournemouth and Wycombe.
Yes.

Who could forget Wycombe?
This user liked this post: Bfcboyo

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:11 pm

No point going down but playing attractive football. Better off having 2 poor defeats and 2 great wins playing mediocre football than say 3 draws and one loss playing some great eye catching football. Taking chances is what matters and defending resolutely. We do both quite well.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:31 pm

Blackrod wrote:No point going down but playing attractive football. Better off having 2 poor defeats and 2 great wins playing mediocre football than say 3 draws and one loss playing some great eye catching football. Taking chances is what matters and defending resolutely. We do both quite well.
Whatever Watford may be doing, they aren't playing attractive football. Playing our way scoring 20 goals and winning is a lot more attractive than playing their way, scoring 8 goals and losing.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:34 pm

TVC15 wrote:Well I never knew that !
It’s one of the few grounds I have never been too. Going to have to go now...especially given we have a decent record down there recently

You might have to wait a few seasons then :)

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:02 pm

I like Watford and have always thought of them as a similar club to us in terms of finance, until recently. They also seemed to invest in youth but I don't see much evidence that it has produced too much recently.

On the field I'm not sure where it's gone wrong. They were quite impressive at times last season.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:41 pm

There is nothing worse to watch than a back four pouncing about and getting nowhere!

Lots of passes to nothing is boring, boring, boring.

Yes we launch a little too often, however, we also can play very effectively with beat passing which counts.

I remember it was Graham Taylor who devised the long ball style, as his analysis showed that it was the swifrest method of hitting the front, before defences were settled and that a knock down in or around the box led to more goal chances, than any other means!

Watford should check their history!
This user liked this post: Dazzler

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:43 pm

IanMcL wrote:There is nothing worse to watch than a back four pouncing about and getting nowhere!

Lots of passes to nothing is boring, boring, boring.

Yes we launch a little too often, however, we also can play very effectively with beat passing which counts.

I remember it was Graham Taylor who devised the long ball style, as his analysis showed that it was the swifrest method of hitting the front, before defences were settled and that a knock down in or around the box led to more goal chances, than any other means!

Watford should check their history!
I'm convinced that many managers like to play it about at the back because it's pretty - not because it benefits them at all. In fact, I bet it punishes more teams than it benefits.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:43 pm

I must say I was impressed with the comment from a Watford fan that Chris Wood's goal would have been disallowed by VAR if it hadn't been for big club bias! Very complimentary.
These 3 users liked this post: IanMcL Bosscat FactualFrank

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:46 pm

FactualFrank wrote:I'm convinced that many managers like to play it about at the back because it's pretty - not because it benefits them at all. In fact, I bet it punishes more teams than it benefits.
Especially Arsenal and Norwich.

!aiboforceN
Been Liked: 229 times
Has Liked: 194 times

Post by !aiboforceN » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:17 pm

Having read (and listened to) the views of many West Ham and Watford fans following the successive 3-0 victories, I've come to the conclusion that West Ham fans "know" football far better than Watford fans do. Lots of credit given to Burnley and Dyche from the Irons' fans - quite the opposite from the Hornets'
These 2 users liked this post: Hibsclaret tim_noone

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:22 pm

TVC15 wrote:Yep maybe - I was also thinking more about the place itself - which is best known for being a “gap”. When your most redeeming feature is a service station.....
Our "Watford Gap" is currently 13 places, +10 points and +20goals :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bigvince
Been Liked: 930 times
Has Liked: 698 times

Post by Bigvince » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:36 pm

How many times do you see teams play it around at the back, then eventually play it long because they’re getting closed down

willsclarets
Been Liked: 680 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:58 am

The difference in sentiment about our approach to the game is hilariously different on this board according to our current form.