40 years ago to this day

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
depechedingle
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 276 times

40 years ago to this day

Post by depechedingle » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:29 pm

40 years ago today my Mum took me on Turf Moor for the very first time, we stood on the Bee Hole End and looking through the fencing I can remember there being lots of goals (actually thought far more than there was), we beat Cambridge United 5-3. My main memory as my Mum often reminded me was of a Cambridge player called Alan Biley and his shocking blonde mullet hairstyle.
Attachments
339442-1410424416.jpg
339442-1410424416.jpg (12.64 KiB) Viewed 1580 times
This user liked this post: gawthorpe_view

depechedingle
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 276 times

Re: 40 years ago to this day

Post by depechedingle » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:31 pm

Never have and never will work out, how much my club has cost me, but had many happy days. UTC!!!

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2936 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:35 pm

depechedingle wrote:40 years ago today my Mum took me on Turf Moor for the very first time, we stood on the Bee Hole End and looking through the fencing I can remember there being lots of goals (actually thought far more than there was), we beat Cambridge United 5-3. My main memory as my Mum often reminded me was of a Cambridge player called Alan Biley and his shocking blonde mullet hairstyle.
If I recall correctly, Cambridge had two players sent off by Referee Kevin McNally? (who had a reputation for being trigger happy, especially regarding dissent).

Sorry, don't remember the mullet.

basil6345789
Been Liked: 482 times
Has Liked: 2292 times

Post by basil6345789 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:39 pm

Mullet - that had a big thing in the middle at the back.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32372 times
Has Liked: 5270 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:05 am

depechedingle wrote:40 years ago today my Mum took me on Turf Moor for the very first time, we stood on the Bee Hole End and looking through the fencing I can remember there being lots of goals (actually thought far more than there was), we beat Cambridge United 5-3. My main memory as my Mum often reminded me was of a Cambridge player called Alan Biley and his shocking blonde mullet hairstyle.
You brought us luck. It ended a run of 24 league games without a win.

Alan Biley scored an own goal too.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:15 am

ClaretTony wrote:You brought us luck. It ended a run of 24 league games without a win.
We still got relegated to the third division for the first time ever though.

40 years ago I was in my first year at secondary school and we were asked in English class to write an essay on a hobby or something that interested us. I of course wrote about Burnley Football Club, it’s history and my experiences standing on the Beehole End. I remember writing the words at the end of the essay ‘unfortunately it looks like Burnley will be relegated to the third division for the first time in their history’.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:20 am

gawthorpe_view wrote:If I recall correctly, Cambridge had two players sent off by Referee Kevin McNally? (who had a reputation for being trigger happy, especially regarding dissent).

Sorry, don't remember the mullet.
Not aware of anyone being sent off but Kevin McNally wasn't the referee for this game, it was Peter Reeves from Leicester.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:22 am

martin_p wrote:We still got relegated to the third division for the first time ever though.

40 years ago I was in my first year at secondary school and we were asked in English class to write an essay on a hobby or something that interested us. I of course wrote about Burnley Football Club, it’s history and my experiences standing on the Beehole End. I remember writing the words at the end of the essay ‘unfortunately it looks like Burnley will be relegated to the third division for the first time in their history’.
I know, first win of the season came on 24th November. The win against Fulham on 2nd Feb was our sixth win of the season but was also our last. The win before the Cambridge game was at Blackburn when Tony Morley and Brian Hall goals saw us win 2-1.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4068 times
Has Liked: 1852 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:36 am

Talking about refereeing Kevin's, I noticed the other day somewhere online that the multi-infamous Kevin Lynch, the bane of many a Clarets life, is consultant :lol: to Sky and the Football League.
That could explain a lot. :mrgreen:
I checked further and noticed he has a biography out, the blurb for which says "KL was probably the most controversial ref of his time." You don't say.
Does sportsman' dinners now. I'd love to bump into him.... :twisted:

Anyone heard him?

Petersa
Been Liked: 206 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by Petersa » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:38 am

I remember it well. I lived near Cambridge at the time and had a Cambridge registered car with the dealers sticker on the back window. It only dawned on me during the game that I could have a problem as I was parked on Fulledge Rec.
There were two players sent off one was a Scottish right back Jimmy somebody the name escapes me it was right in front of me he completely lost it with Leighton James and it took a couple of players to restrain him. A lasting memory was Taffy losing a contact lens and about 6 players looking for it in the grass. They didn't find it and a spare pair were brought on for him
Incredible to think it was 40 years ago

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:41 am

Petersa wrote:I remember it well. I lived near Cambridge at the time and had a Cambridge registered car with the dealers sticker on the back window. It only dawned on me during the game that I could have a problem as I was parked on Fulledge Rec.
There were two players sent off one was a Scottish right back Jimmy somebody the name escapes me it was right in front of me he completely lost it with Leighton James and it took a couple of players to restrain him. A lasting memory was Taffy losing a contact lens and about 6 players looking for it in the grass. They didn't find it and a spare pair were brought on for him
Incredible to think it was 40 years ago
I really couldn't remember the sendings off - the Cambridge right-back was Jimmy Calderwood, not related to the current manager there I don't think.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1694 times
Has Liked: 2530 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:07 pm

Wasn't that the game where our 5th goal was scored by Jeff Tate, his first(and last) for us? Not too sure that he didn't play again for us after that.

Petersa
Been Liked: 206 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by Petersa » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:49 pm

Thanks CT twas Jimmy Caldwood He went on to manage a few clubs in Scotland in his later life which surprised me after his loss of temper. He really did lose it using an assortment of very colourful language right in front of me. Other than being given the runaround by Taffy I didn't see what started it off other than James wasn't known for calming potentially fraught situations.
Jeff Tate did score a good goal and I don't think I heard of him again. Whatever did happen to him

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:41 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:Wasn't that the game where our 5th goal was scored by Jeff Tate, his first(and last) for us? Not too sure that he didn't play again for us after that.
Jeff Tate & Paul Fletcher played you front. Neither of them played for us again.