Season so far

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2461 times
Has Liked: 1990 times

Season so far

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:59 pm

Slightly unbalanced. Won the only 5 matches we haven't conceded.
19-20 results (1).jpg
19-20 results (1).jpg (18.92 KiB) Viewed 998 times
19-20 results (2).jpg
19-20 results (2).jpg (21.55 KiB) Viewed 998 times
Don't know where the tables went but it doesn't make much sense without them.
Last edited by Tricky Trevor on Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Im_not_Robbie_Blake
Been Liked: 383 times
Has Liked: 234 times

Re: Season so far

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:29 pm

Unbalanced because we're nearer the top than the bottom of the prem league!

Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:50 pm

5 points between 6th and 17th!

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3078 times
Has Liked: 5042 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:54 pm

The season we finished 7th we had lots of 1-0, 2-1 wins. We scraped a lot of results.
This season we've had three 3-0 and a 2-0. Only lost to teams on form, and coyld easily be 3 pts better off considering Wolves and Leicester matches. I dont think weve hit the heights this season, but our ability to hit the back of the net has improved so much. Wood and Barnes are still improving, extraordinary in Barnes case considering how long he's been here. As the last couple of seasons, we are a solid, ball winning midfielder away from being a very good side.
So much to be positive about.

UTC
These 3 users liked this post: Bosscat Tricky Trevor jrtod61

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:57 pm

Unbalanced because but for shite VAR decisions we should be comfortably in 5th place.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1239 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:04 pm

We are definitely improving year on year, no doubt about that....

The first year back was all about solid defending and we struggled away.
The second was improved away performance and narrow victories.
The third was a poor start (Europe, early start and injuries to blame) followed by a very strong 2nd half performance with more goals.
This year has further improved goal scoring and very few poor performances.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32393 times
Has Liked: 5270 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:32 pm

We've won the key games too - if you look at the five teams we have beaten they are currently 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th in the table.
These 3 users liked this post: simonclaret Bosscat evensteadiereddie

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:52 am

The table between 6th and bottom is still tight and a good run of results in this league currently seems to be 2 or 3 games !
We have won games well this season which is pleasing and also far less stressful on the old ticker.
We were pretty awful away at Villa and Brighton but we picked up draws and they both now need to come to the Turf. Plus both these teams have pretty good home records this season.
We were excellent at Wolves and Leicester and deserved a win and a draw....instead of the one point we got.
Sheff United was the big blip - but looks like we are not the only team tripping up against them. It will be a surprise if they can keep it up all season but even if they do they’ll take points off loads of other teams.
The one thing missing is a result against one of the really big teams - still early doors and I think we will end up with at least 2 good results against the big 6 teams this season.

Think Palace will be tough this Saturday without Westwood. I’d take a draw before we beat City and Spurs
Happy days !

The Hung Juror
Been Liked: 107 times
Has Liked: 129 times

Post by The Hung Juror » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:03 am

I loved reading this quote on VAR from Trizia Fiorellino the Chelsea fan who very sadly passed away.

"I want to howl at a referee error, scream at the injustice of it all, become apoplectic with rage at a missed red card tackle; I want to laugh my ass off when we score an offside goal against Spurs, grin like a lunatic when the wrong Manchester United player gets sent off, and guffaw when the ref overlooks a Liverpool stonewall penalty (as if…). The point is, our game is passionate not despite the flaws, but because of the flaws."

It says it all for me. #VAROUT
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:14 am

The Hung Juror wrote:I loved reading this quote on VAR from Trizia Fiorellino the Chelsea fan who very sadly passed away.

"I want to howl at a referee error, scream at the injustice of it all, become apoplectic with rage at a missed red card tackle; I want to laugh my ass off when we score an offside goal against Spurs, grin like a lunatic when the wrong Manchester United player gets sent off, and guffaw when the ref overlooks a Liverpool stonewall penalty (as if…). The point is, our game is passionate not despite the flaws, but because of the flaws."

It says it all for me. #VAROUT
It's time for fans to take a stand while we still can and have a day of inaction - refusing to celebrate goals until the screen tells them they can.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2293 times
Has Liked: 2166 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:25 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:The season we finished 7th we had lots of 1-0, 2-1 wins. We scraped a lot of results.
This season we've had three 3-0 and a 2-0. Only lost to teams on form, and coyld easily be 3 pts better off considering Wolves and Leicester matches. I dont think weve hit the heights this season, but our ability to hit the back of the net has improved so much. Wood and Barnes are still improving, extraordinary in Barnes case considering how long he's been here. As the last couple of seasons, we are a solid, ball winning midfielder away from being a very good side.
So much to be positive about.

UTC
Good post

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 673 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:42 am

As already mentioned above, very important you win the games against teams who are going to be towards the bottom and we have done this in the main. Even though the league table is pretty tight there is a healthy gap between us and the bottom three right now and 18 points at this stage is a good return. Tough game this Saturday but win that and we are in the 20's before we hit December which would be excellent.

Genuinely think we are only about 3 players short of having a really good starting XI for this level.

Good times to be a Claret.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:06 am

Goal scoring no problem this season. Only the top four plus Spurs have scored more (and Spurs only 1 more). That is something to be proud of. Also was looking at something last night on the BBC website that I found impressive. As you know I'm not one for stats but this one impressed me: we are currently 5th in the PL table for successful shots conversion. So although we don't attack that much our strikers are hitting the target with amazing regularity. Given the rarity of our attacks in most games compared to the teams above us (Leicester were top by the way) it shows just what a good job Barnes and Wood are doing. The downside (being a little cautious) is that we are so reliant on those two that if they both got injured/suspended at the same time (unlikely but possible) we would be scratching our heads to see where the goals would come from.

What did impress me was the excellent comments from Shearer again on MotD. As an ex-Barsteward he is quite gushing with his praise of us and actually described us as 'brilliant' at set pieces. He seems to be full of admiration for Dyche and what he has done.

All-in-all the season is panning out well I think. And as JT above says we are possibly only 3 players short of being a really very good PL side (we aren't that bad now to be honest). The table is so congested we have to be careful of getting carried away but then we are also in just as good a position to make an assault on the top 6. As long as we keep beating those around us and below us the big 6 games will be just a free shot (but who knows now with Spurs, Arsenal and United all below us currently). An interesting season lies ahead I think.

For the doom-mongers who only want '40 points' every season just take note - we are currently on course for 52/3.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:13 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:Slightly unbalanced. Won the only 5 matches we haven't conceded.
19-20 results (1).jpg
19-20 results (2).jpg
Don't know where the tables went but it doesn't make much sense without them.
Loud and clear message though bud. We have only taken 1 point from teams currently in the top half but we have not lost a game to anyone currently bottom half. That's a good stat really if you are wanting to stay up.
This user liked this post: Tricky Trevor

steve1264b
Been Liked: 160 times

Post by steve1264b » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:37 am

Id say the season so far has been excellent, i believe we are the best team in our league (just outside the top 10). The results reflect that, we beat the teams below us but struggle slightly with the teams above us.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3861 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:59 am

ClaretTony wrote:We've won the key games too - if you look at the five teams we have beaten they are currently 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th in the table.
That must be classed as a half empty glass attitude if ever I saw one.

The key games are the European candidates now.

Get me on that plane to Seville.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:35 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:That must be classed as a half empty glass attitude if ever I saw one.

The key games are the European candidates now.

Get me on that plane to Seville.
Hold on there Quick mate...you'll have all the 'what about our PL status/oh my god how can we handle it' lot going into a depression. Don't forget Burnley can't handle Europe, we are not worthy. :lol: