ARTICLE: No fun at Fulham as Jimmy Chin scores winner

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32369 times
Has Liked: 5267 times

ARTICLE: No fun at Fulham as Jimmy Chin scores winner

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:43 am

Latest news from the 1959/60 season

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/no-fun-at-f ... res-winner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Re: ARTICLE: No fun at Fulham as Jimmy Chin scores winner

Post by martin_p » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:12 am

That Burnley - Paris helicopter service seems like a missed opportunity. Just think of all the potential tourists able to get a direct flight to see the sights, enjoy the hustle and bustle and sample the fantastic cafes. Burnley folk would have been able to go to Paris too.
This user liked this post: randomclaret2

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:27 am

martin_p wrote:That Burnley - Paris helicopter service seems like a missed opportunity. Just think of all the potential tourists able to get a direct flight to see the sights, enjoy the hustle and bustle and sample the fantastic cafes. Burnley folk would have been able to go to Paris too.
Really was a missed opportunity. Hard to understand why it never happened.

Bullabill
Been Liked: 302 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Bullabill » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:40 am

Nice report Tony. Your work is much appreciated.

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1279 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:34 am

A major disappointment this one, especially on the back of the 8-0 win the previous week. But the way we approached every game, both home and away simply to win, it was inevitable there would be the odd setback. With Harry Potts the theory of "if you can't win, make sure you don't lose" was unheard of and in fact I think from this day in November until the following April we only had one draw. The entertainment value in every game was never in question.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:33 pm

Surprising to see Fulham so high in the league to be honest. I don’t recall them having a good side.

They had Johnny Haynes who my dad said got all the attention because he played in London. Mullery wasn’t a bad player but he’d only had his 18th birthday that week.

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1279 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:19 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Surprising to see Fulham so high in the league to be honest. I don’t recall them having a good side.

They had Johnny Haynes who my dad said got all the attention because he played in London. Mullery wasn’t a bad player but he’d only had his 18th birthday that week.
Fulham had some decent players to be fair, CT. Macedo was a good keeper, George Cohen of course partnered Ray Wilson at full-back a few years later when England won the World Cup and I think Johnny Haynes was the first £100 a week player.

Just going back to the lack of draws for most teams, the approach to the outcome of games back then was completely different to that of the modern game. We ended the season with 7 draws, Wolves below us with 6, Blackburn with 5 and remarkably Man City with just 3 draws over the whole season. As a comparison in our two recent promotions both seasons we had 15 draws.

Harry Potts was quoted as saying to his players " Go out there and play with a smile on your books and entertain all these people who have turned out and paid to watch you." That was the priority back then and if your team lost it wasn't the end of the world. How times have changed.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1692 times
Has Liked: 2529 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:40 pm

'Typical Burnley'; I can imagine that being the response from a lot of supporters at this result. I went to the Forest game with my dad a week earlier but needed my older brother a few days ago to remind/inform me of this scoreline. I was just 8 years old at the time and far too young to be concerned with 'it'd be just like us to lose next week' or post-match 'I knew that would happen'. I can't say I've been able to maintain a similar outlook as the years have progressed with both my children and now grandchildren attending with me but it surely can't just be solely attributed to Burnley to be 'typical', can it?

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3766 times
Has Liked: 7547 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:08 pm

Wonder how often VAR would flag Jimmy's chin offside these days... :twisted:

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:12 pm

Buxtonclaret wrote:Wonder how often VAR would flag Jimmy's chin offside these days... :twisted:
Not often Buxton, don’t think he scored that many goals :D
This user liked this post: Buxtonclaret

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by Suratclaret » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:33 am

Ah! The school meals meat saga! My dad was absolutely convinced that the letter of apology he once received from Lord Bob was more to do with the awarding of contracts for supplying gristle - whoops - meat for school meals than anything else.
Fulham did have a number of good players but nevertheless a disappointing result given the previous weeks performance.