FA Cup draw on Monday

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

FA Cup draw on Monday

Post by MACCA » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:45 pm

As per title it's the FA cup 3rd round draw on Minday at 19:00, who do you want?

Burnley will be ball number 10

All the third round ties will be played between Friday 3rd January and Monday 6th January.

A full list of teams involved in the draw:

http://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboar ... =2&t=43440" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For me it's an away tie at a ground I'm yet to visit.

Boston
Forest Green
Solihull
Eastleigh
Kingstonian/Fylde
Newport
Dover
Crawley

Anyone of those away please

Sproggy
Been Liked: 662 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Re: FA Cup draw on Monday

Post by Sproggy » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:49 pm

Maldon & Tiptree at home. We'll scrape a 0-0 and go out in extra time in the replay.
These 2 users liked this post: Vegas Claret Funkydrummer

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:51 pm

10 V 6 I've missed giving them a kicking lately.
And I think we might try to win this one

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:01 pm

Blackburn
Huddersfield
Forest Green Rovers

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:02 pm

Just be nice to avoid Man City away to be honest!
These 6 users liked this post: Burnley1989 simonclaret Marty Dobson Rick_Muller Tribesmen MT03ALG

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:03 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Blackburn
Huddersfield
Forest Green Rovers
Definitely not Rovers. We reach the ten year anniversary of their last win against us later this season, don’t want to give them the opportunity to spoil it.

claret3561
Been Liked: 134 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by claret3561 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:06 pm

Forest green would be good only 15 minutes from my house but about 3 hours to walk up that bloody hill

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:09 pm

I think we all used to really look forward to qualifying for the 3rd round, now I don't look forward to it one bit due out abysmal record :( Maybe this year it will change

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:13 pm

Rochdale, Oldham or Tranmere away

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:14 pm

Unfortunately I can't get excited about this because are beloved manager's attitude to cup competitions has finally drained it all away. We'll either get City and our second team will be slaughtered or some non-league side who will undoubtedly embarrass us. Either way I don't expect us to be in the draw for the 4th round (but I suppose miracles DO happen).

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:42 pm

MACCA wrote:As per title it's the FA cup 3rd round draw on Minday at 19:00
Is this on Morksport?
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Funkydrummer

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:51 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:Is this on Morksport?
Nanoo Nanoo
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:56 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:I think we all used to really look forward to qualifying for the 3rd round, now I don't look forward to it one bit due out abysmal record :( Maybe this year it will change
Meanwhile in the real world ! :o

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:59 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Rochdale, Oldham or Tranmere away
Tranmere away would be nice. Bus ride away tor me.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2274 times
Has Liked: 2153 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:01 pm

I'll no doubt go but I'm not really to fussed who we get, preferably not a top 6 side.

Its one of the down falls to being sat at the top table, you no longer get excited by the FA Cup draw, desperate for a top side.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:07 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:I'll no doubt go but I'm not really to fussed who we get, preferably not a top 6 side.

Its one of the down falls to being sat at the top table, you no longer get excited by the FA Cup draw, desperate for a top side.
It's the opposite these days. People want the smallest clubs possible away from home. Somewhere different.

The 3rd round away with cheap tickets is the easiest game to get people to go to in our group.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:14 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:It's the opposite these days. People want the smallest clubs possible away from home. Somewhere different.

The 3rd round away with cheap tickets is the easiest game to get people to go to in our group.
We would certainly have another ticket gate if we drew a side where only 500 tickets were available...

Marty Dobson
Been Liked: 92 times
Has Liked: 261 times

Post by Marty Dobson » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:20 pm

houseboy wrote:Unfortunately I can't get excited about this because are beloved manager's attitude to cup competitions has finally drained it all away. We'll either get City and our second team will be slaughtered or some non-league side who will undoubtedly embarrass us. Either way I don't expect us to be in the draw for the 4th round (but I suppose miracles DO happen).
They do..we were in the 4th round draw last January. :D

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:25 pm

No matter how much Dyche disrespects the cup competitions I still can't help but get excited by the FA Cup 3rd round draw. Being in the Prem is all well and good, but I feel a little bit of boredom/apathy setting in. I bet if we drew a Oldham/Tramnere/Rochdale away there'd be more interest than there has been for Everton on Boxing Day.
This user liked this post: Quickenthetempo

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:41 pm

It’s a total myth that SD “ disrespects cup competitions” while the League cup admittedly is a low ender for prem teams the team we put out in the LC looked great on paper ,attacking and packed with quality . Is what we don’t do is react very well to 1st XI changes mainly due to the fact that SD is not a big squad rotator week in week out. While our record is p1ss poor in cups it’s quite simply not SD taking it lightly .With the odd exception of blooding the occasional youngster we’ve always put out an experienced hungry team . Perhaps a bit of luck in the draw and we just might have a run

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:41 pm

I think you can argue the toss about whether we have or haven’t taken it seriously enough in recent years but frankly the league has been by far the most important thing in each of Dyche’s seasons...

Promotion
Survival attempt
Promotion
Survival attempt
Europe attempt
Survival following Europe challenge
This season......

I would say that this season more than any other is the best time for a cup run. Survival is first priority as always but we are better equipped to challenge on both fronts than we have ever been..and we already have a good points tally. If we can get to the cup game with 25 to 30 points on board then the cup should be a good chance to show exactly how much better than previous seasons the squad is....
This user liked this post: houseboy

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:46 pm

I cannot think of a better end to this season than lifting the F.A. Cup. Listen up, Dyche.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:55 am

AlargeClaret wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:41 pm
It’s a total myth that SD “ disrespects cup competitions” while the League cup admittedly is a low ender for prem teams the team we put out in the LC looked great on paper ,attacking and packed with quality . Is what we don’t do is react very well to 1st XI changes mainly due to the fact that SD is not a big squad rotator week in week out. While our record is p1ss poor in cups it’s quite simply not SD taking it lightly .With the odd exception of blooding the occasional youngster we’ve always put out an experienced hungry team . Perhaps a bit of luck in the draw and we just might have a run
It's not a myth and he does. When was the last time you saw our regular first team in a cup game? We got dumped out of the league cup by a poor Sunderland who are not even going well in league one. Dyche is a good manager don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want anyone else in charge, but to say he doesn't disrespect cup competitions is just plain wrong. People are already saying they are tiring of the weekly slog in the PL and I predicted this would happen, so we need a cup run to get things exciting again. We need to be able to look forward to cup draws but I find myself often just taking a casual look the day after to see who is going to beat us next. I certainly wouldn't waste my money going to one to watch the reserves.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:03 am

jrgbfc wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:25 pm
No matter how much Dyche disrespects the cup competitions I still can't help but get excited by the FA Cup 3rd round draw. Being in the Prem is all well and good, but I feel a little bit of boredom/apathy setting in. I bet if we drew a Oldham/Tramnere/Rochdale away there'd be more interest than there has been for Everton on Boxing Day.
I remember when 3rd round day was possibly the most exciting day of the season and the FA Cup in general always drew the biggest crowds. A lot on here will remember the day we played Wolves at home and they filled the Longside with black and gold and we couldn't get on it. That would never happen now unless it was the 1/4 final maybe. It's sad that the money and the propaganda machine of the PL has overshadowed everything else to the point where nothing else is important any more. And much of that is down to managers (not just Dyche of course) treating other things almost as an intrusion. Maybe they should bring back fines for fielding weakened sides like they used to but make the fines massive so they hurt (okay that is never going to happen now because the big six won't let it).

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:05 am

Marty Dobson wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:20 pm
They do..we were in the 4th round draw last January. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: Let's see the team for the Peterborough game first before we get excited. Ha ha.

AlargeClaret

Post by AlargeClaret » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:23 am

houseboy wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:55 am
It's not a myth and he does. When was the last time you saw our regular first team in a cup game? We got dumped out of the league cup by a poor Sunderland who are not even going well in league one. Dyche is a good manager don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want anyone else in charge, but to say he doesn't disrespect cup competitions is just plain wrong. People are already saying they are tiring of the weekly slog in the PL and I predicted this would happen, so we need a cup run to get things exciting again. We need to be able to look forward to cup draws but I find myself often just taking a casual look the day after to see who is going to beat us next. I certainly wouldn't waste my money going to one to watch the reserves.
Tbf SD was only ever gonna give fringe players a run out in a league cup 2nd round as he will do in fa cup 3rd round .Its just common sense . Though take a look at the team against Sunderland ( and they did indeed beat us comfortably ) it’s no team of young greenhorns . Sadly the prem does take preference these days and SD does no more or less to disrespect the cup than any other manager.
I’d love a cup run ,but much as it pains me to say it the fa cup ain’t what it used to be

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:31 am

AlargeClaret wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:23 am
Tbf SD was only ever gonna give fringe players a run out in a league cup 2nd round as he will do in fa cup 3rd round .Its just common sense . Though take a look at the team against Sunderland ( and they did indeed beat us comfortably ) it’s no team of young greenhorns . Sadly the prem does take preference these days and SD does no more or less to disrespect the cup than any other manager.
I’d love a cup run ,but much as it pains me to say it the fa cup ain’t what it used to be
I agree with a lot of this but the reason (at least one of the main ones in my opinion) that the FA Cup no longer has it's old magic is because the actions of managers (Dyche included) have devalued it. If the top sides (and even a lot of Championship sides) took it seriously and fielded their full teams people would come back to it and get excited about it. Ferguson started this whole 'fielding the youngsters' idea in domestic cups and it caught on like wildfire. The obsession with the PL and it's money has taken over and football is the poorer because of it. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I would take relegation for an FA Cup win, honestly.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:41 am

houseboy wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:03 am
I remember when 3rd round day was possibly the most exciting day of the season and the FA Cup in general always drew the biggest crowds. A lot on here will remember the day we played Wolves at home and they filled the Longside
I went to that game and stood on the Longside. Don't have any recollection of it being full of Wolves fans. The only cup tie I recall where the opposition had huge support was Liverpool in January 1963. Other than that Wrexham were genuinely ' up for the cup' in 1974.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:46 am

houseboy wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:31 am
I agree with a lot of this but the reason (at least one of the main ones in my opinion) that the FA Cup no longer has it's old magic is because the actions of managers (Dyche included) have devalued it. If the top sides (and even a lot of Championship sides) took it seriously and fielded their full teams people would come back to it and get excited about it. Ferguson started this whole 'fielding the youngsters' idea in domestic cups and it caught on like wildfire. The obsession with the PL and it's money has taken over and football is the poorer because of it. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I would take relegation for an FA Cup win, honestly.
I think it's more the prize money for winning a round isn't enough to pay a premier league players weekly wage.

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1299 times
Has Liked: 1391 times

Post by Aclaret » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:14 pm

My guess at team v Peterbro'
Hart ( if still here )
Lowton
Gibson (if still here )
Long
Koiki
Drinkwater (if still here )
Cork
Lennon ( shouldn't still be here)
Vydra ( if still here )
Jay Rod
JBG

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:36 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:41 am
I went to that game and stood on the Longside. Don't have any recollection of it being full of Wolves fans. The only cup tie I recall where the opposition had huge support was Liverpool in January 1963. Other than that Wrexham were genuinely ' up for the cup' in 1974.
It was early 70's. We played them in the cup and won and played them at home the following week in the league and lost. It was an immense support, even the police were advising Clarets to stay out of the Longside. Others on here remember it as well as it has been touched on before. There were maybe a few Clarets on the Longside but many if not most didn't bother.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Post by CleggHall » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:38 pm

The balls in the draw had not been stirred - Burnley, Blackburn, Birmingham all left to last few!

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:46 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:46 am
I think it's more the prize money for winning a round isn't enough to pay a premier league players weekly wage.
Or, if flipped on it's head, PL wages that are far too high. Everything in the PL is geared to money; wages, transfer fees, admission prices (some of the highest if not THE highest in Europe to watch football that is no better than Spain, Italy or Germany), and that is the basic problem. Everyone now, including a lot of fans, is obsessed with money and feel that if your club has plenty of cash that is a measure of success. It isn't. The only measure of success is on the pitch and if that isn't happening it doesn't matter if you have all the money in the world. The PL is devaluing everything around it, even foreign leagues are losing players to the lure of the cash. I can't wait for the bubble to burst, as it surely will because no country or industry can live with the kind of inflation we see in the PL and survive in the long run. I see it as a cancerous organisation and it definitely needs to be brought under some kind of control.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:48 pm

CleggHall wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:38 pm
The balls in the draw had not been stirred - Burnley, Blackburn, Birmingham all left to last few!
I didn't see the draw but it seems that after Burnley had been drawn out they had a 1 in 3 chance of getting the Barstewards. Now that would have been interesting.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:24 pm

houseboy wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:36 pm
It was early 70's. We played them in the cup and won and played them at home the following week in the league and lost. It was an immense support, even the police were advising Clarets to stay out of the Longside. Others on here remember it as well as it has been touched on before. There were maybe a few Clarets on the Longside but many if not most didn't bother.
Yep, I remember the game and was there in the Longside. Just cannot remember thousands and thousands of visiting fans there but I'll take your word for it.

AlargeClaret

Post by AlargeClaret » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:04 pm

It’s a shame but the kick off times really destroy the fa cup more than any other competition . There’s nothing to get that excitement of everyone playing same day. The matches over 4 days is painfully drawn out. Though the tv money etc etc etc .
My 12 yr old whose claret mad and has huge knowledge of the team and the game barely gets the fa cup . He loves a cup run and totally gets the concept via his own teams he plays for but he had no idea of the 3rd round buzz/history . Funnily enough he couldn’t take his eyes off the draw .

I still think it means a lot to most fans though and there’s just that something about the fa cup .

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:55 pm

its a comp for the dregs of the leagues thesedays, small wonder fans dont care much for it when their teams dont take it seriously enough to bother sending out a half decent team to make a game of it anymore.