18 Thousand Strong Home Support Dropping

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Re: 18 Thousand Strong Home Support Dropping

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:10 pm

The amount of games on TV/dodgy streams doesn't help attendances either.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 2631 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:19 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:40 pm
It was Palace's first game outside London in about 3 months, so hardly surprising they packed out the away end. If they'd had successive long hauls up t'North in the last month, I doubt it would have been anywhere near as many................................................................................................................
Form is always relevant. We have played poorly for the last few weeks. I'm sure if we were on a 4-5 game winning streak, even the matter of 3 hours kip before work wouldn't have kept me away.
Colburn --it was strange on Tuesday because I got home to Ashington at exactly 1 o'clock which is earlier than I do on a 7-45 kick off! There was absolutely no traffic from Skipton right across to Ripon and, although I had to drive the back road to Leeming Bar because the A1 was closed there was hardly any traffic there either.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3161 times
Has Liked: 6751 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:34 pm

Perhaps a proper relegation battle will liven things up a bit :D

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:41 pm

We are badly in need of investment, we are dining in a very expensive restaurant.. and we continue to have just a starter to share.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 580 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:09 pm

Our football seems to have gone even more functional tbh. I was very disappointed with how we set up on Tuesday night. City are a top team but we were giving top teams a game before. A couple of good signings would swing the pendulum back. I love the Premier League and want us to stay there. Championship is ace when you’re winning games but if things go wrong, it’s a relentless slog.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1818 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:16 pm

Almost looked like Dyche had given up before we started.
I don't want up be watching that.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5080 times
Has Liked: 6881 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:37 pm

Live football will go the way of the corner shop local pub etc we still shop and drink but differently.

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3770 times
Has Liked: 7569 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:37 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:34 pm
Perhaps a proper relegation battle will liven things up a bit :D
Might do.
And looking at the squashed up table, reckon we'll be finding out. :lol:

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by Claretforever » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:14 pm

I think being a Tuesday night was one reason for the lower crowd, although we’d have sold out 2 years ago. The massive affect for me and lots I spoke with was the 8.15pm kick off time.

It was too late to take kids on some some missing, but other people who would have normally bought tickets for their kids, and may have allowed them to stop up later for a 7.45 kick off, didn’t want their kids getting home at 10.30-11pm on a school night.

Tv viewing was an obvious factor which made the above even worse.

We always get lower crowds against Palace.

Boxing Day is a funny one. People haven’t grasped yet that you have to put your name down 5-6 weeks before the game. They still expect to decide a few days before. You watch Facebook for the demand for tickets as the game gets close.

Jeremy_Bentham
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by Jeremy_Bentham » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:18 pm

. suggests those who still enjoy games but are being outpriced try some local non-league football.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:21 pm

Good debate, apart from a few brain-dead hardliners.

It's good people acknowledge there are other reasons for the loss of interest. After 20+ years as a ST holder, I've not been on this season. With both kids gone now, some changes in personal circumstances and other family commitments being more pressing, I'm not pretending it's all to do with the PL, Dycheball, VAR, prices, kick-off times, streams, media overkill, players rolling around, loss of the thrill of, "Wow, it's Man U", loyalty points, lack of interest in the cups or presales to secure a seat at a sh1t venue on Boxing Day.

But it's not not about those.

Parkvilla
Been Liked: 40 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Parkvilla » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:20 pm

Season ticket holder for over 30 years but after Palace game decided to give Tuesday a miss, 1st time I have ever not gone when had a ticket. Dyche sets us up against the top 6 to not get hammered. Also finding the constant long ball stuff a tad tedious. No pace, no flair, no creativity Mcneil aside.90 minutes on the turf is a long slog added into that VAR and the Premier becoming dull I can see a lot of people not renewing next season unless we spend and create a bit of interest instead of shopping in the championship

cloggerclaret
Been Liked: 2 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by cloggerclaret » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:57 pm

Parkvilla wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:20 pm
Season ticket holder for over 30 years but after Palace game decided to give Tuesday a miss, 1st time I have ever not gone when had a ticket. Dyche sets us up against the top 6 to not get hammered. Also finding the constant long ball stuff a tad tedious. No pace, no flair, no creativity Mcneil aside.90 minutes on the turf is a long slog added into that VAR and the Premier becoming dull I can see a lot of people not renewing next season unless we spend and create a bit of interest instead of shopping in the championship
i totally understand what you saying im sure u not the only person that thinks that

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:13 pm

We miss Charlie Taylor a lot as he offers more going forward and as much as Pieters is a solid defender he is more defensive in nature which invariably means he plays it back to Mee who either plays it down the line or back to Tarks who more and more ends up playing it to Pope to pump it upfield and it would be interesting to know how many times Pope got the ball that way and played it long.

The thing is we can play some great football even against City who quite frankly put in the best opposition performance I have see on the Turf for a five ten minute spell we moved the ball through midfield and in the matches we have won on the Turf this year we have played good football at times.

If we play more football the crowds will stay but if we resort to more and more long punts it will drop off.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3080 times
Has Liked: 5049 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:29 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:19 pm
Colburn --it was strange on Tuesday because I got home to Ashington at exactly 1 o'clock which is earlier than I do on a 7-45 kick off! There was absolutely no traffic from Skipton right across to Ripon and, although I had to drive the back road to Leeming Bar because the A1 was closed there was hardly any traffic there either.
Thats a really good run, but you can never predict a good run, and i still would have had a 10 hour shift to follow it.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5559 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:45 pm

I can understand newer fans drifting away after a few seasons in the Premier League but I'm really surprised to read that fans who have sat through some proper crap in the last 30+ years dreaming of getting back in the top tier, are losing interest.

I haven't had a ST for about 6 years now, due to cost, distance and now family commitments and I don't get to many games (although this is not because of a lack of wanting to) so I may not be in the best position to judge.

I can't wait for a couple more years when my boy is old enough to go and I can get away with going by taking him with me.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:17 am

It's the feeling that we've essentially reached the top of the mountain, and we're basically just treading water until we go back down. Obviously it would help if we played a bit more football or had the odd cup run. Brighton are showing it's possible, problem is Dyche isn't interested.

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:22 am

jrgbfc wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:17 am
It's the feeling that we've essentially reached the top of the mountain, and we're basically just treading water until we go back down. Obviously it would help if we played a bit more football or had the odd cup run. Brighton are showing it's possible, problem is Dyche isn't interested.
I can understand to an extent why people are questioning their interest because it's a time and money commitment. But you seem to be relentlessly negative about Burnely and Dyche in particular so it might be better for you to not bother at all until we are relegated and Dyche leaves.
This user liked this post: Leisure

Walt
Been Liked: 113 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Post by Walt » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:52 am

I've been a season ticket holder for years and attend away games when I can but I'm getting bored of seeing football live. Family and friends dont attend to the same level so the match day experience isn't as much fun as it was.

Not for one minute will I stop being a Burnley fan and show an interest in what is happening generally in the game but now I have kids I also have other priorities.

It's obviously not the same experience as when I 1st started going in the 4th division. I've absolutely loved our rise to the top, a fantastic achievement for a club run on a shoestring in comparison to most of the teams we have competed against.

The kudos of seeing us play against some of world football's biggest clubs doesn't have the same draw as it did when we were 1st promoted and I find the premier league quite boring. VAR is also taking the game in the wrong direction and it hasn't worked as intended. I believe that alone will turn thousands of fans away from all clubs, raw emotion is slowly but surely being removed from attending live games.

I will still pick and choose an odd game here and there but I doubt I'll renew my season ticket. A scenario I never envisaged even as little as a couple of years ago, but very much a reality of where I'm at with the changes in football.

Brucefanclaret
Been Liked: 206 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Brucefanclaret » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:25 am

Burnley fan for over 50 years and ST holder. But getting on in years, recovering from serious illness/treatment. Husband has Parkinson’s and extreme cold affects his tremor very badly. So stayed in the warm and watched it on tv. Sorry some of you think I’m not a real fan!

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:40 am

I don't think you can blame Dyche or the team. We play football that suits our players technical ability vs the rest of the league.

What you can blame is the state of the premier league and how we have other teams that normally compete at our level able to attract better players.

It's bad enough when you have the likes of Man City paying as much as they do for a team, let alone the likes of Bournemouth and Crystal Palace attracting better signings than us. Even Brighton's owner has twice as much money as ours does.

Every game is far too difficult and we're always on the back foot even even when we win. What we need is a wage cap, a draft system or our own sugar daddy.

For me this season has been more entertaining, at times for the worse. I enjoy the introduction of VAR and think it's been a long time coming and will benefit us in the long term once they get it right.

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:44 am

I think a combination of entertainment value vs cost/ doing other more exciting things is the main reason. Because we aren’t competitive in any competition in terms of winning silverware and the football is negative and boring people are drifting to other forms of entertainment instead.

Barry_Chuckle
Been Liked: 586 times
Has Liked: 203 times

Post by Barry_Chuckle » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:19 am

In the main it's the tedious, slow football we play which puts folk off spunking £30 - £35. Lack of creativity in the squad along with what appears to be the lack of intent to address this every summer and January window cheeses folk off.
Even pre match entertainment iat the Fanzone s spoilt by 2BR or whoever they are, playing music over the football commentary folk are trying to hear while they watch the early KO on the big screen. Why, oh why, oh why? :roll:

Safron
Been Liked: 229 times
Has Liked: 177 times

Post by Safron » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:23 am

Top and bottom of it is we have die hard fans who won't have a bad word said about the club and will support the team through thick and thin,and fans who find the football dull to watch and loosing the desire to attend, you can genuinely count on one hand the amount of home games in a season that we have been outstanding for 90mins,like the west ham game ,and come off thinking why can't we take that performance into every game.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6489 times
Has Liked: 2916 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:13 pm

Live attendances will fall alarmingly when the broadcasters start selling virtual seats at football grounds you will just put your headphones on, invite around a boring mate to sit next to you and moan about Jeff Hendrick and your Saturday fix of football will be complete

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:35 pm

17,000 is still roughly the equivalent of a quarter of Burnley's population.

Volvoclaret
Been Liked: 664 times
Has Liked: 379 times

Post by Volvoclaret » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:19 pm

Now that income from attendance is just a drop in the ocean compared to TV money, Premiership clubs are not too fussed about level of support. As far as t v is concerned we are just background noise, in fact the broadcasters do inject a enhanced sound for when the real noise falls. With the state of VAR at present spontinaity is being leached from the game and I can see that in 10 years time most crowds will be CGI generated and football will just be a TV sport.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:21 pm

Volvoclaret wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:19 pm
Now that income from attendance is just a drop in the ocean compared to TV money, Premiership clubs are not too fussed about level of support. As far as t v is concerned we are just background noise, in fact the broadcasters do inject a enhanced sound for when the real noise falls. With the state of VAR at present spontinaity is being leached from the game and I can see that in 10 years time most crowds will be CGI generated and football will just be a TV sport.
This. Said it a few years ago. Can you imagine how much easier it would be without having to manage all those oils coming through the turnstiles...

Murger
Been Liked: 1244 times
Has Liked: 846 times

Post by Murger » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:45 pm

People shouldn't find the need to justify the reasons they no longer want to go on. It's got **** all to do with anyone else.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:51 pm

I remember a thread on the old board, mocking from Blackburn and Bolton fans.

The only thing I’d change is that I’d like to see us start to produce more of the mixed football that Dyche likes. Recently it’s not been that mixed, and more route one without the pressing and work rate that we have come to expect.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret