Tottingham lukewarmspurts Versus MIGHTY CLARETS

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
bfcjg
Been Liked: 5080 times
Has Liked: 6886 times

Re: Tottingham lukewarmspurts Versus MIGHTY CLARETS

Post by bfcjg » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:23 pm

this will be our Everton moment from last season.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2753 times

Post by Stayingup » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:25 pm

Simple recruitment has been woeful. Only really Wood has come in since our return to the Premier League and improved the team. Taylor was a good buy too. Midfield....well.
This user liked this post: bfcjg

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 980 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:37 pm

Getting rid of McNeil in January would seem pretty pointless since he is the only player likely to provide ammunition for Barnes and Wood, who have just signed new deals, and a decent shot at staying up for another season. Of course he will move on to better things but the summer will be soon enough. It is not as though we will be splashing the cash in January.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1826 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:41 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:12 pm
Who said we would play the same way if he had better quality players ? I've certainly not suggested that, so carry on making stuff up
So what did you mean this?
won't make a difference who we sign when all we do is hoof it

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11049 times
Has Liked: 5658 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:44 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:41 pm
So what did you mean this?
it wont matter who we sign with the budget he is given, give him 100 million and i would expect he is more than capable of getting us to play better football

you need to try harder

lancastrian
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by lancastrian » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:47 pm

A disgraceful performance today it could and should have been five nil by half time. It seems to me that the players should spend all week on learning how to control a ball and how to pass as it was evident they could no neither.If those on the bench cannot get into this team then they should move on. Why didn't Mr Dyche give those two youngsters some game time they couldn't have done any worse than the regulars.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2753 times

Post by Stayingup » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:48 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:44 pm
it wont matter who we sign with the budget he is given, give him 100 million and i would expect he is more than capable of getting us to play better football

you need to try harder

Getting us to play at all at the moment would be a good start.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1826 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:51 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:44 pm

you need to try harder
I suggested we could have spent 20mil on a striker in the summer (Adams) and you replied it wouldn't matter if all we do is hoof it.
But if he had 100mil that same criticism suddenly doesn't apply?

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11049 times
Has Liked: 5658 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:54 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:51 pm
I suggested we could have spent 20mil on a striker in the summer (Adams) and you replied it wouldn't matter if all we do is hoof it.
But if he had 100mil that same criticism suddenly doesn't apply?
and i said if he had 100 million we wouldn't be looking at crap like Adams. I can't be any clearer than that, you can take horse to water and all that

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:54 pm

"Why didn't Mr Dyche give those two youngsters some game time they couldn't have done any worse than the regulars"

Hes done it with Dwight, so we know it's not an issue for him. But, same problem throughout his tenure...he doesn't change things when it's clearly not right...and he is far to loyal to certain members of his squad. Theres a reason why Ben Mee hasn't been capped, is being a wholehearted defender at this level really enough ?

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:14 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:48 pm
I suspect if the board would have given him 100 million to spend he wouldn't have signed Vydra, Jay- Rod, Pieters etc etc

I have long criticised our style of play but he has worked miracles, he is fighting with both hands tied behind his back in this league
I don't think the amount of money that he had to spend is the sole issue.

In terms of incomings last Winter we basically sat back and did nothing, Instead of being proactive we chose to let Rigg settle in before expecting him to do anything. Then we rounded out the window by selling Vokes and bringing in Peter Crouch, which exposed us to risk. The reasoning behind it was that putting money in the pot would increase the options available to the recruitment team and make their task easier. We were told that we didn't want to jeopardise what we could do in the Summer window and the money would be a shot in the arm.

Fast forward to the Summer and we wasted our time chasing after a bunch of unrealistic targets that were never going to come here. The rusty dildo award was finally won when we decided to chase after Kalvin Phillips after it was blatantly clear that he wasn't going to move in the last window. To add stupidity to nonsense we didn't open up Vydra to offers and kept him around to offer in part exchange. Leeds weren't going to sell the backbone of their team after coming so close to promotion and an infusion of cash from other transfers meant they didn't need the money. Neither were they going to be interested in a player that spurned them who plays best as a secondary striker, a position that isn't part of their lineup.

I could have seen us part exchanging Vydra for Josh Brownhill at Bristol City early in the window, or sending him out on loan to put him in the shop window and letting Nahki see out his contract on our bench. However, what we chose to do was ridiculous. If Nahki doesn't have a one year option we will now get nothing for him and with unhappy noises coming from Vydra and little to no visibility ( with Jay being given a firm nod over him ) we can't expect anything more than peanuts for him now. Unfortunately, on the basis of this season Brownhill is probably a 15-20 million player in the eyes of Bristol city who is going nowhere, instead of the 8-12m player he would have been at the start of the last window.

We also sold Heaton for less than we could have done. He wanted to go, unlike Vokes, but Villa were awash with cash and not afraid to spend it. The gloating that came after they signed him told us everything we needed to know about the poor cash return we got for him in relation to how bad they wanted him. Then we brought in the Peacock, he could turn out to be good, but he couldn't force his way back into the Leeds squad and his demands to play annoyed them so much that they were desperate to get shut.

Hart is currently warming the bench and probably looking for a move. I wouldn't be surpised if he has an eye on a move to Inter Miami. If he moves on in the next window and anything happens to Pope we might have to see out the season with a bloke who couldn't get into a Championship team as our last line of defence. If Hart doesn't move we will lose whatever we might get for him.

We spent £10m on Jay ( which isn't a small sum ) who is yet to offer anything more than a couple of brief flashes. And we were desperate to pay £18m for him before that. That is a lot to pay for a back player or an impact sub, which is what he seems to be at the moment. Definitely heart over head on that one.

Then we signed Drinkwater on loan who must have been a last on the list option when everything else went tits up in our search for a midfielder. He didn't show anything in the last match to make me think he is the answer to out midfield need and more worryingly he didn't show anything to suggest that he will be able to play a full ninety minutes before his loan expires.

Sadly, I think the groundwork is already being laid to extend his loan. Going with that option instead of actively pursuing somebody else would represent the least effort on behalf of the recruitment team. It would also provide them with a full 8 months to try and get their act together or for Rigg to try and hire talented people who can do his job for him and make him look good. It's the classic poorly performing middle manager strategy, if you aren't up to doing your job hire people who can do it for you and take credit for their work.

Our recent performance in respect to the development squads has been equally underwhelming. We drastically culled the development squads under the banner of bringing in next level talent. However, we never strayed out of the North West looking for that talent. We signed a guy we saw playing at the ground of our U23's and a couple of players who turned up on our doorstep for trial after being passed over by other clubs. Now it might be that the players we brought in have what it takes and the teams that didn't sign them missed a trick ( there could be another Mc Neil in that bunch ). However, on the face of it I'm not overly optomistic and the tiny area we drew from doesn't say much about our youth scouting.

Add up all the factors ( along with others, but I got bored listing them ) and our problem clearly isn't the money we have to spend it is how we are going about spending it. We needed a next level progression in terms of recruitment and it looks like what we have got is a backwards step that revolves around poor strategic thinking, poor scouting and poor financial acumen - which is par for the course with Rigg. Look on with the benefit of having been there and suffered painfully QPR and Fulham, history could be on the verge of repeating itself.

Our primary problem is an ongoing cluster **** of poor decison making in terms of recruitment - which appears to have taken a scary turn for the worse over the last year.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but I can't see us doing much of anything in the next window. I think we are primed to trot out the old lines " the Winter window is very difficult ", " we need more time to develop the recruitment structure we need ", " it is good business to embrace risk by selling players to simply put money in the pot ", " we are actively looking " and other excuses.

The upshot being we will defer doing anything major until the next window when we can look at players whoose contract has expired and which players are in relegated teams ( which might be us if we don't manage to get our act together).

Yes its a long post, yes I'm well aware the title of Drama Queen could be levelled at me, but free hit or not today wasn't just a wake up call it was a King Kong bouncing our blood smeared head off the wall defining moment with a back to the drawing board or else directive for the future.

Croydon Claret
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 787 times

Post by Croydon Claret » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:38 pm

^^ Summary please

Can't read all that

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6385 times
Has Liked: 8730 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:43 pm

Croydon Claret wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:03 pm
Nice ass ( not you)
Wait 'till you see mine! :D
This user liked this post: Croydon Claret

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:43 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:14 pm

In terms of incomings last Winter we basically sat back and did nothing, Instead of being proactive we chose to let Rigg settle in before expecting him to do anything. Then we rounded out the window by selling Vokes and bringing in Peter Crouch, which exposed us to risk. The reasoning behind it was that putting money in the pot would increase the options available to the recruitment team and make their task easier. We were told that we didn't want to jeopardise what we could do in the Summer window and the money would be a shot in the arm.

Fast forward to the Summer and we wasted our time chasing after a bunch of unrealistic targets that were never going to come here. The rusty dildo award was finally won when we decided to chase after Kalvin Phillips after it was blatantly clear that he wasn't going to move in the last window. To add stupidity to nonsense we didn't open up Vydra to offers and kept him around to offer in part exchange. Leeds weren't going to sell the backbone of their team after coming so close to promotion and an infusion of cash from other transfers meant they didn't need the money. Neither were they going to be interested in a player that spurned them who plays best as a secondary striker, a position that isn't part of their lineup.

I could have seen us part exchanging Vydra for Josh Brownhill at Bristol City early in the window, or sending him out on loan to put him in the shop window and letting Nahki see out his contract on our bench. However, what we chose to do was ridiculous. If Nahki doesn't have a one year option we will now get nothing for him and with unhappy noises coming from Vydra and little to no visibility ( with Jay being given a firm nod over him ) we can't expect anything more than peanuts for him now. Unfortunately, on the basis of this season Brownhill is probably a 15-20 million player in the eyes of Bristol city who is going nowhere, instead of the 8-12m player he would have been at the start of the last window.

We also sold Heaton for less than we could have done. He wanted to go, unlike Vokes, but Villa were awash with cash and not afraid to spend it. The gloating that came after they signed him told us everything we needed to know about the poor cash return we got for him in relation to how bad they wanted him. Then we brought in the Peacock, he could turn out to be good, but he couldn't force his way back into the Leeds squad and his demands to play annoyed them so much that they were desperate to get shut.

Hart is currently warming the bench and probably looking for a move. I wouldn't be surpised if he has an eye on a move to Inter Miami. If he moves on in the next window and anything happens to Pope we might have to see out the season with a bloke who couldn't get into a Championship team as our last line of defence. If Hart doesn't move we will lose whatever we might get for him.

We spent £10m on Jay ( which isn't a small sum ) who is yet to offer anything more than a couple of brief flashes. And we were desperate to pay £18m for him before that. That is a lot to pay for a back player or an impact sub, which is what he seems to be at the moment. Definitely heart over head on that one.

Then we signed Drinkwater on loan who must have been a last on the list option when everything else went tits up in our search for a midfielder. He didn't show anything in the last match to make me think he is the answer to out midfield need and more worryingly he didn't show anything to suggest that he will be able to play a full ninety minutes before his loan expires.

Sadly, I think the groundwork is already being laid to extend his loan. Going with that option instead of actively pursuing somebody else would represent the least effort on behalf of the recruitment team. It would also provide them with a full 8 months to try and get their act together or for Rigg to try and hire talented people who can do his job for him and make him look good. It's the classic poorly performing middle manager strategy, if you aren't up to doing your job hire people who can do it for you and take credit for their work.

Our recent performance in respect to the development squads has been equally underwhelming. We drastically culled the development squads under the banner of bringing in next level talent. However, we never strayed out of the North West looking for that talent. We signed a guy we saw playing at the ground of our U23's and a couple of players who turned up on our doorstep for trial after being passed over by other clubs. Now it might be that the players we brought in have what it takes and the teams that didn't sign them missed a trick ( there could be another Mc Neil in that bunch ). However, on the face of it I'm not overly optomistic and the tiny area we drew from doesn't say much about our youth scouting.

Add up all the factors ( along with others, but I got bored listing them ) and our problem clearly isn't the money we have to spend it is how we are going about spending it. We needed a next level progression in terms of recruitment and it looks like what we have got is a backwards step that revolves around poor strategic thinking, poor scouting and poor financial acumen - which is par for the course with Rigg. Look on with the benefit of having been there and suffered painfully QPR and Fulham, history could be on the verge of repeating itself.

Our primary problem is an ongoing cluster **** of poor decison making in terms of recruitment - which appears to have taken a scary turn for the worse over the last year.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but I can't see us doing much of anything in the next window. I think we are primed to trot out the old lines " the Winter window is very difficult ", " we need more time to develop the recruitment structure we need ", " it is good business to embrace risk by selling players to simply put money in the pot ", " we are actively looking " and other excuses.

The upshot being we will defer doing anything major until the next window when we can look at players whoose contract has expired and which players are in relegated teams ( which might be us if we don't manage to get our act together).

Yes its a long post, yes I'm well aware the title of Drama Queen could be levelled at me, but free hit or not today wasn't just a wake up call it was a King Kong bouncing our blood smeared head off the wall defining moment with a back to the drawing board or else directive for the future.
When can we expect the sequel to come out?

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:06 pm

dermotdermot wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:43 pm
When can we expect the sequel to come out?
After the Winter transfer window closes.

Although I might write a long Winter Transfer Tombola post. I jotted down some names and comments about players who caught my attention that we could look at in the next window as a topic for discussion. In terms of positions I focussed on Central Midfield, Right Winger and Right Back, which seem to be the areas that everyone agrees we need to address.

Everything was good to go a month ago, but based on the abuse I got from some quarters after my last one I decided that I couldn't be bothered.

However, looking back at the list of players I suggested I think I did okay in a lot of cases, so the ball kicking was probably undeserved. Especially when those putting in the hardest kicks didn't step up and put forward any names for discussion at all. In comparison to what we actually did in the window I think my Tombola suggestions were really good, which is very disheartening and upsetting.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:17 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:

That's easy for you to say

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Post by CleggHall » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:30 pm

jojomk1 wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:17 pm
That's easy for you to say
Not easy for us to read though! :D

ervi34
Been Liked: 98 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by ervi34 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:59 pm

He wrote a good post though. We never do business early and it results in signing players that were never a priority. Just remember the summer of 2018. Players who were high on our shortlist were Mawson, Dawson, Jay Rodriguez and Clucas. We haven't signed any of them which lead us to making panic buys in terms of Vydra and Gibson who were never a type of player that Dyche wanted.

Almost the same thing happened this summer. We had three months to sort out central midfield position. I don't remember us doing that until the last few days where we tried to bring Phillips and Camarasa with small, not sufficient bids. The result - we got ourselves another has been player who can't last longer than 60 minutes on the pitch after almost four months.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5080 times
Has Liked: 6886 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:03 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:

I think he is saying we are a bit sh1t at the moment.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6385 times
Has Liked: 8730 times

Re: Nottingham lukewarmspurts Versus MIGHTY CLARETS

Post by IanMcL » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:49 pm

DomBFC1882 wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:05 pm
This will be at least 5
Did you have a tip off? :o :o