Penang

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1029 times
Has Liked: 1521 times

Penang

Post by tarkys_ears » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:13 pm

Anyone been?

Don't know much about the place other than it's a "resort" type place.

Would I be better staying in Georgetown or Ferengghi (sp?) beach? I want a beach type holiday but not necessarily exclusively, also if I were in Georgetown, is there anything to do for 5 days?

Also, am I likely to be eaten by a king cobra or a shark?

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1489 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Re: Penang

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:41 pm

Ex American air base?

KLClaret
Been Liked: 92 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by KLClaret » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:47 pm

Shark
This user liked this post: tarkys_ears

Andychappers
Been Liked: 2 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by Andychappers » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:51 pm

tarkys_ears wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:13 pm
Anyone been?

Would I be better staying in Georgetown or Ferengghi (sp?) beach? I want a beach type holiday but not necessarily exclusively, also if I were in Georgetown, is there anything to do for 5 days?

Yeah I've been. Batu Ferringi is lovely. Great for a beach holiday but with stuff to do as well. There are a few shops nearby and markets too.

Not been to George Town so can't really comment.

Definitely going to go back and hopefully in the not too distant future.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2756 times

Post by Stayingup » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:35 pm

tarkys_ears wrote:
Anyone been?

Beach type holiday? Presume you mean beach plus some culture.

Stay at Batu Ferringhi its very nice. Good beaches but no-one really goes on them as the lovely hotels have gardens bordering onto the beach. There are local markets and plenty of seafood restaurants. You can easily get into Georgetown for a look around.

Next time try the Gili islands. Have to go via Lombok. Superb and a bonus no cars there.

aggi
Been Liked: 2119 times

Post by aggi » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:16 am

Penang is great. I wouldn't necessarily head there for a beach holiday. I think George town and the food and the atmosphere is the best of the island.

Batu Ferringhi felt very generic and you could be anywhere compared to George town.

You can spend 5v days in George town. Go to Batu ferringhi for a day. A day at the peak and the park at the bottom.

But what's this paired with. I'd spend time in KL or Sumatra depending how long you're over for and where you are.

Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:10 am

Amazing place. Georgetown is fantastic. I’d go back purely for the food though. Out of this world.

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:37 am

The last time I was in Penang was in 1988 and it's probably changed a lot since then. Iirc, we stayed in the Shangri La in Georgetown which was a sister hotel to the Golden Sands in Batu Ferringi. We had a fantastic time in Georgetown at night and spent the days on the beach at the Golden Sands, the hotel even provided a bus to take us across. The beer was very cheap and so was the food which was invariably excellent. Happy days! Would love to go back.

Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:57 am

We stayed in the eastern and oriental hotel, it was superb. Plenty to do for 5 days and Penang isn’t that big so you can go all over the island. We coupled it up for langkawi (I wouldn’t go back) and Ko Lipe which is the best place I’ve been in Thailand.

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by CaptJohn » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:56 am

Ah lovely memories!
It was the 1st port I ever sailed into as a young naval officer in 1972. Beautiful place back then but I believe it now has electricity :lol:

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by Suratclaret » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:03 am

tarkys_ears wrote:
Anyone been?

Was there a couple of weeks ago...amazing place and lots to see and do. Food wise there's a fantastic choice in Georgetown with some of the best Nonya food around in both restaurants and food stalls. Georgetown is famous for its street art and you can easily spend a morning finding all the different examples. Best to go into George Town in the morning or evening when it's cooler. We stay at the Shangri-La Rasa Sayang which is next door to the Golden Sands resort. The Shangri -La in Georgetown is now Hotel Jen ( same group).
Things to do apart from the beach...Penang Hill for fantastic views and a chance to see some wildlife. There are temples galore, a tropical spice garden and it's very easy to fill a few days. Taxis arn't too expensive but by far the cheapest, and most exciting transport is the bus service - the Penang Rapide. The locals are fantastic people.
We've been three times now and will be going again next year.