Next labour leader?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Inchy
Been Liked: 1333 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Re: Next labour leader?

Post by Inchy » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:43 am

Stayingup wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:14 pm
Thats for me to know.

Well either Tory or labour it doesn’t matter.

A traditional labour voter should want a return of a electable leader

A traditional Tory voter should want a strong labour leader to push the tories over the next 5 years.

Having only one strong political party in the country is not good for anyone

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:50 am

dsr wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:35 am
I'm surprised that you would want UK rights to be the same as the EU. 8 fewer days holiday, no minimum wage, no sick pay, 14 weeks maternity leave.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... rade-talks

We can see here that the US has taken climate change off the table in terms of a trade deal with us, and it’s telling that the Tories now don’t even want to be bound by the lower E.U. standards on worker rights. This is classic Johnson. Say anything to get elected, and then just do whatever he wants.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 944 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by clarethomer » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:05 am

AndrewJB wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:50 am

We can see here that the US has taken climate change off the table in terms of a trade deal with us, and it’s telling that the Tories now don’t even want to be bound by the lower E.U. standards on worker rights. This is classic Johnson. Say anything to get elected, and then just do whatever he wants.
Why don't you ever stick to one point to debate.

You complain about workers rights being removed from the EU bill.

We respond to say that it's not quite how you see it and for you to consider that an independent bill would be better for the country and that actually our workers rights are better than those in the EU.

How do you respond - lets talk about climate change and the US... Do we take the fact that you have finished discussing workers rights, you have accepted that things aren't quite as bad as you are trying to make others believe?

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:22 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:05 am
Why don't you ever stick to one point to debate.

You complain about workers rights being removed from the EU bill.

We respond to say that it's not quite how you see it and for you to consider that an independent bill would be better for the country and that actually our workers rights are better than those in the EU.

How do you respond - lets talk about climate change and the US... Do we take the fact that you have finished discussing workers rights, you have accepted that things aren't quite as bad as you are trying to make others believe?
That’s because my point has been about Johnson breaking promises and betraying the people, who he said “leant him their votes”.

And it’s only been two weeks. My theory is those who’ve donated millions to the Tory Party are at the front of the queue for favours - and most of them live in London (or if you prefer “the metropolitan bubble”).

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2349 times
Has Liked: 3177 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:27 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:50 am

Hi Andrew, I understand that the rules of football (take your pick on the code) also won't be include in UK-US trade talks. Apparently, POTUS objects to Premier League's implementation of VAR. ;)

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:48 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:22 pm
That’s because my point has been about Johnson breaking promises and betraying the people, who he said “leant him their votes”.

And it’s only been two weeks. My theory is those who’ve donated millions to the Tory Party are at the front of the queue for favours - and most of them live in London (or if you prefer “the metropolitan bubble”).
How has he broken a promise? He is still looking to protect workers rights, he is committed to put a bill through on climate change (although I agree he or any other of the main parties aren't going far enough).

You are failing to realise that these were in the EU bill because of the olive branch that was extended to help get Brexit done. Corbyn decided he knew better and that unless he got everything he wanted, he didn't want to know. If you think it is Boris that has caused these things to come out of the EU bill then I think you need to look a bit closer to home.

If you are going to continue to assert some kind of conspiracy theory, please could you show me where Boris has promised to keep these in the EU bill post the election.

All of this rhetoric is frankly just confirming to all of those voters who aren't blindly giving allegiance to one party confirmation that they were right to not trust this country to the far left of politics.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:01 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:27 pm
Hi Andrew, I understand that the rules of football (take your pick on the code) also won't be include in UK-US trade talks. Apparently, POTUS objects to Premier League's implementation of VAR. ;)
Let’s wait and see the response of the environmental movement is to the free trade talks between the US and UK. And the end result - if we remember to in six or seven years time.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:47 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:48 pm
How has he broken a promise? He is still looking to protect workers rights, he is committed to put a bill through on climate change (although I agree he or any other of the main parties aren't going far enough).

You are failing to realise that these were in the EU bill because of the olive branch that was extended to help get Brexit done. Corbyn decided he knew better and that unless he got everything he wanted, he didn't want to know. If you think it is Boris that has caused these things to come out of the EU bill then I think you need to look a bit closer to home.

If you are going to continue to assert some kind of conspiracy theory, please could you show me where Boris has promised to keep these in the EU bill post the election.

All of this rhetoric is frankly just confirming to all of those voters who aren't blindly giving allegiance to one party confirmation that they were right to not trust this country to the far left of politics.
So when Johnson said “we will increase the living wage to £10.50 per hour” (this was announced at conference, and was in their manifesto), adding a caveat afterwards isn’t going back on a promise in what Orwellian way? You are accusing me of peddling a conspiracy when I’m just stating a fact. The standout feature of the new employment bill (of which little detail was provided) is that they’re going to ban rail strikes. Not forcing rail companies and workers into binding arbitration to resolve issues, but taking away some of the bargaining power of the workers. If we take the Tory Party as a whole, they’ve cut workers rights since coming into power in 2010. Working class people are sensible to worry about working rights being eroded by Johnson, and seeing him walk away from a previous commitment will only add to their fears.

On the environment the Tories has the weakest platform of all the parties, and Johnson didn’t even attend the leaders debate. It’s safe to infer that the environment is not high up on the list of Tory priorities, and not unreasonable to foresee them capitulating to US demands that the issue not figure in negotiations on a free trade deal.

Taking all the evidence into account - including Johnson’s history of campaigning passionately on issues that he suddenly drops when no longer politically expedient (Heathrow runway, campaigning on the bus with a slogan he had no intention of honouring, die in a ditch, and now the minimum wage) - it’s not me scaremongering, but you clinging to a fairytale.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:14 pm

To try and bring this thread back on topic. :)

David Lammy is considering throwing his hat into the ring.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/po ... -bid-call

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:32 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:47 pm
So when Johnson said “we will increase the living wage to £10.50 per hour” (this was announced at conference, and was in their manifesto), adding a caveat afterwards isn’t going back on a promise in what Orwellian way? You are accusing me of peddling a conspiracy when I’m just stating a fact. The standout feature of the new employment bill (of which little detail was provided) is that they’re going to ban rail strikes. Not forcing rail companies and workers into binding arbitration to resolve issues, but taking away some of the bargaining power of the workers. If we take the Tory Party as a whole, they’ve cut workers rights since coming into power in 2010. Working class people are sensible to worry about working rights being eroded by Johnson, and seeing him walk away from a previous commitment will only add to their fears.

On the environment the Tories has the weakest platform of all the parties, and Johnson didn’t even attend the leaders debate. It’s safe to infer that the environment is not high up on the list of Tory priorities, and not unreasonable to foresee them capitulating to US demands that the issue not figure in negotiations on a free trade deal.

Taking all the evidence into account - including Johnson’s history of campaigning passionately on issues that he suddenly drops when no longer politically expedient (Heathrow runway, campaigning on the bus with a slogan he had no intention of honouring, die in a ditch, and now the minimum wage) - it’s not me scaremongering, but you clinging to a fairytale.
Ha ha.. Brilliant..

Lets break this down..

Increasing the living wage to £10.50 per hour..

Pre-election manifesto states.....

"In our first months, we announced an increase in the National Living Wage to two thirds of average earnings, currently forecast at £10.50 an hour, and widened its reach to everyone over 21. That means an average pay rise of £4,000 per year for four million people by 2024."

If you read the manifesto, you can easily understand that based on a forecast and the important bit is 2/3rds of average earnings will determine the minimum wage.

Post election Queen's speech

"My Government will bring forward measures to support working families, raising the National Insurance threshold and increasing the National Living Wage. To ensure every child has access to a high-quality education my Ministers will increase levels of funding per pupil in every school."

There has been no promise broken there as far as I can see. I maintain that you are trying to spin your facts in a way that misrepresents a- what was promised and b- what has been committed to.

They are going to ban rail strikes....

Good - Unions have far too much power. They are run like we are still in the industrial age. They give no regard to putting joe public at a massive inconvenience at the drop of a hat.

If you think trying to pull the wider public into their issues is a good thing to gain leverage then I'm glad that banning train strikes is going to happen. Trains are a necessary public infrastructure that needs to remain running for productivity purposes and to allow people to get to and from work. These policies are for the few and not the many in reality and a blunt tool which is all too often used because its the easiest way to cause outrage and pressure on companies

Workers protections should be about ensuring that the laws set out the required standards and expectation of employers so they are not taken advantage of etc. Disputes should be settled via courts and use of properly constructed law. Having a bill on this will allow politicians on both sides of the house to look to drive up standards here. Remember that conservatives have been elected on one of the main promises being to get Brexit done. By having workers rights stripped out of the brexit bill, I can only see this being a positive to allow some of these conservatives to be able to not be restrained by the thought of this having an impact on their ability to deliver this.

Workers rights are important and we have seen lower employment, increased minimum wage, lower taxes to those who earn the least, a focus on ensuring employees get pensions so they can look to have a better retirement - forcing additional cost on employers with having to contribute to these.

I would like to see what you mean by in the round how workers rights have been decimated/reduced since 2010.

The other points raised - as you say are inferred by your opinion which I can't change so would be happy to see where we get to with the above points but my opinion is that Labour have an equal record as most politicians will have a record on of going back on things they have said they will do..

Fiscally responsible, fully costed manifesto anyone? Whats that - we can win a few million votes by borrowing £58bn for WASPI women.. Yeah OK..
This user liked this post: BennyD

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2349 times
Has Liked: 3177 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:11 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:01 pm
Let’s wait and see the response of the environmental movement is to the free trade talks between the US and UK. And the end result - if we remember to in six or seven years time.
Hi Andrew, what is the "environment movement's" position on UK-US trade talks? Do they have a view on trade in, let's say, motor vehicles? Should the UK decline to import ICE vehicles or should UK set a "free trade" deal that favours EVs? I guess Tesla will favor the latter. (Note my switch from UK English to US English spelling of "favour"). What other "goods" and "bads" should be dealt with in a UK-US trade agreement?

Or, should the trade talks agree a common UK-US position on global carbon trading? A sort of "big brother scheme" to the EUETS - that the UK "championed" in EU. I've got to admit, I've not yet caught up with the global carbon trading schemes outcome in the recent Madrid "meet up."

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:26 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:32 pm
Ha ha.. Brilliant..

Lets break this down..

Increasing the living wage to £10.50 per hour..

Pre-election manifesto states.....

"In our first months, we announced an increase in the National Living Wage to two thirds of average earnings, currently forecast at £10.50 an hour, and widened its reach to everyone over 21. That means an average pay rise of £4,000 per year for four million people by 2024."

If you read the manifesto, you can easily understand that based on a forecast and the important bit is 2/3rds of average earnings will determine the minimum wage.

Post election Queen's speech

"My Government will bring forward measures to support working families, raising the National Insurance threshold and increasing the National Living Wage. To ensure every child has access to a high-quality education my Ministers will increase levels of funding per pupil in every school."

There has been no promise broken there as far as I can see. I maintain that you are trying to spin your facts in a way that misrepresents a- what was promised and b- what has been committed to.

They are going to ban rail strikes....

Good - Unions have far too much power. They are run like we are still in the industrial age. They give no regard to putting joe public at a massive inconvenience at the drop of a hat.

If you think trying to pull the wider public into their issues is a good thing to gain leverage then I'm glad that banning train strikes is going to happen. Trains are a necessary public infrastructure that needs to remain running for productivity purposes and to allow people to get to and from work. These policies are for the few and not the many in reality and a blunt tool which is all too often used because its the easiest way to cause outrage and pressure on companies

Workers protections should be about ensuring that the laws set out the required standards and expectation of employers so they are not taken advantage of etc. Disputes should be settled via courts and use of properly constructed law. Having a bill on this will allow politicians on both sides of the house to look to drive up standards here. Remember that conservatives have been elected on one of the main promises being to get Brexit done. By having workers rights stripped out of the brexit bill, I can only see this being a positive to allow some of these conservatives to be able to not be restrained by the thought of this having an impact on their ability to deliver this.

Workers rights are important and we have seen lower employment, increased minimum wage, lower taxes to those who earn the least, a focus on ensuring employees get pensions so they can look to have a better retirement - forcing additional cost on employers with having to contribute to these.

I would like to see what you mean by in the round how workers rights have been decimated/reduced since 2010.

The other points raised - as you say are inferred by your opinion which I can't change so would be happy to see where we get to with the above points but my opinion is that Labour have an equal record as most politicians will have a record on of going back on things they have said they will do..

Fiscally responsible, fully costed manifesto anyone? Whats that - we can win a few million votes by borrowing £58bn for WASPI women.. Yeah OK..
The fine print of the Queens speech says the minimum wage will rise “as long as economic conditions allow” - which is about as nebulous as you can get. To anyone who isn’t wearing Tory blinkers, that is stepping back from a commitment.

The Tories cut union power in the last ten years, along with working rights. If you think unions have too much power still, then it tells us all where you are in relation to working class people.

For all the talk about Tories now looking out fornworking class people, they’re not doing anything about it. You criticise the Labour manifesto for the WASPI commitment (and I would say rightly, because they should have said how they were paying for it), but that manifesto had far more in the way of detail than Johnson’s fag packet, and it was far more beneficial and forward thinking for ordinary people. After claiming he had an “oven ready” plan for social care, they published the square root of F-all. That is Johnson.

Workers rights - tribunal fees which the courts determined to be illegal, and which a Johnson government will probably reinstate, increasing the time in which your employer can fire you without reason from one to two years, cutting union funding, and curtailing their ability to strike. Add to this the whole shower of excrement that was austerity, and which hit working class people disproportionately hard, and you don’t have a leg to stand on suggesting that Johnson will look after working class people.
Last edited by AndrewJB on Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:31 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:26 pm
The fine print of the Queens speech says the minimum wage will rise “as long as economic conditions allow” - which is about as nebulous as you can get. To anyone who isn’t wearing Tory blinkers, that is stepping back from a commitment.

The Tories cut union power in the last ten years, along with working rights. If you think unions have too much power still, then it tells us all where you are in relation to working class people.

For all the talk about Tories now looking out fornworking class people, they’re not doing anything about it. You criticise the Labour manifesto for the WASPI commitment (and I would say rightly, because they should have said how they were paying for it), but that manifesto had far more in the way of detail than Johnson’s fag packet, and it was far more beneficial and forward thinking for ordinary people. After claiming he had an “oven ready” plan for social care, they published the square root of F-all. That is Johnson.
When did he say he had an "oven ready" plan for social care?

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Vino blanco » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:32 pm

Keep the red flag flying high, Andrew!

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:38 pm

taio wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:31 pm
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... son-dearly

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:41 pm

Vino blanco wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:32 pm
Keep the red flag flying high, Andrew!
Give your forelock a tug for me. 😀

taio

Post by taio » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:44 pm

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:14 pm

taio wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:44 pm
The words he used were: “we will fix the crisis in social care once and for all...with a clear plan we have prepared” - when it came to the election, the plan was nowhere to be seen.

The day after his election win, like any other man of the people he partied at an ex KGB spy’s London mansion, probably thrown to thank him for not releasing the Russian Report into interference in our democracy, or perhaps to underscore the massive help the Russian billionaire’s newspapers gave him politically? Either way, can you imagine if Corbyn has done that? It’d be a massive deal in the Mail.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:25 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:14 pm
The words he used were: “we will fix the crisis in social care once and for all...with a clear plan we have prepared” - when it came to the election, the plan was nowhere to be seen.

The day after his election win, like any other man of the people he partied at an ex KGB spy’s London mansion, probably thrown to thank him for not releasing the Russian Report into interference in our democracy, or perhaps to underscore the massive help the Russian billionaire’s newspapers gave him politically? Either way, can you imagine if Corbyn has done that? It’d be a massive deal in the Mail.
Tories were quiet on social care through the election campaign. Perhaps understandably given the election in 2017 although I was disappointed in them on this particular point. It's a difficult issue to resolve which is why successive governments for over 20 years have failed to do so. But you have an habit of misrepresenting things. The tories didn't say they have an "oven ready" plan. Likewise they didn't say they would increase the national living wage "only if it is economically viable". You also misrepresented the country's debt recently as well. Yet you are keen to highlight when others misrepresent. Let's see what they do or don't deliver on social care over the next year or two.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2216 times
Has Liked: 2204 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:42 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:14 pm
To try and bring this thread back on topic. :)

David Lammy is considering throwing his hat into the ring.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/po ... -bid-call
You mean 'Serial war monger' David Lammy?

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:43 pm

taio wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:25 pm
Tories were quiet on social care through the election campaign. Perhaps understandably given the election in 2017 although I was disappointed in them on this particular point. It's a difficult issue to resolve which is why successive governments for over 20 years have failed to do so. But you have an habit of misrepresenting things. The tories didn't say they have an "oven ready" plan. Likewise they didn't say they would increase the national living wage "only if it is economically viable". You also misrepresented the country's debt recently as well. Yet you are keen to highlight when others misrepresent. Let's see what they do or don't deliver on social care over the next year or two.
The misquotes don’t materially alter the broken commitments, and false Johnson statements. “Clear plan we have prepared” - if it weren’t such a serious thing, his lying would make good comedy.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:44 pm

Without wanting to get involved in this debate as I can see both sides of this:
“we will fix the crisis in social care once and for all...with a clear plan we have prepared
That translates to me as "oven ready", and yet scarcely a mention or any sort of plan in the manifesto or Queen's speech.

Longsidebogs
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Post by Longsidebogs » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:48 pm

Who cares? It will be at least a decade before Labour get another shot (at least). I for one am delighted about that.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:51 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:43 pm
The misquotes don’t materially alter the broken commitments, and false Johnson statements. “Clear plan we have prepared” - if it weren’t such a serious thing, his lying would make good comedy.
It was clear from the manifesto upon which people used to help them decide who to vote for that they didn't have a detailed plan on social care. That was well known and publicised throughout the campaign. And the electorate overwhelmingly voted in favour of the Tories. It could also be reasonably argued that because Brexit had become so protracted and parliament had disrupted progress so much that the government was unable to place enough focus on domestic policies such as social care. I'm not convinced Labour's manifesto on social care was particularly well thought out either.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:57 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:44 pm
Without wanting to get involved in this debate as I can see both sides of this:
“we will fix the crisis in social care once and for all...with a clear plan we have prepared
That translates to me as "oven ready", and yet scarcely a mention or any sort of plan in the manifesto or Queen's speech.
It is well known that the green paper was significantly delayed and then the government decided not to publish it after he said the above. That's why the manifesto which set out their intentions upon which people voted overwhelmingly didn't repeat it.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5070 times
Has Liked: 6841 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:04 pm

Some extreme left wingers today blamed Blair for the election defeat , they were roundly criticised by what's left of commonsense labour members.
Love him or loathe him Blair would have wiped the floor with Johnson the centre grou8is where labour are the most effective and the next leader needs to reflect that. The Wigan MP would be my choice but I cant see the members voting for her.
Now would be the time for a new moderate socialist party to form and build a base in readiness for the 2024/25 election.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:46 pm

taio wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:51 pm
It was clear from the manifesto upon which people used to help them decide who to vote for that they didn't have a detailed plan on social care. That was well known and publicised throughout the campaign. And the electorate overwhelmingly voted in favour of the Tories. It could also be reasonably argued that because Brexit had become so protracted and parliament had disrupted progress so much that the government was unable to place enough focus on domestic policies such as social care. I'm not convinced Labour's manifesto on social care was particularly well thought out either.
Sure. It was just another off the cuff Johnson lie. The lying wasn’t just Johnson either, but the entire Tory machine. 88% of Tory ads on Facebook in the first week of December were misleading or simply untrue: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes ... ctory/amp/ - and as these are generally targeted ads, who knows what they promises or claimed?

When a party says or does anything to win an election, without being challenged about it in the press (which for the most part supported them), by hook or crook; then I think it’s safe to say a lot of voters will end up disappointed.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:01 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:46 pm
Sure. It was just another off the cuff Johnson lie. The lying wasn’t just Johnson either, but the entire Tory machine. 88% of Tory ads on Facebook in the first week of December were misleading or simply untrue: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes ... ctory/amp/ - and as these are generally targeted ads, who knows what they promises or claimed?

When a party says or does anything to win an election, without being challenged about it in the press (which for the most part supported them), by hook or crook; then I think it’s safe to say a lot of voters will end up disappointed.
Would you regard Labour's insistence that the NHS was "up for sale" a lie?

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3077 times
Has Liked: 5042 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:59 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:01 pm
Why ask other people to wait and see, when you aren't prepared to wait and see yourself.
Your posts are one supposition after another. We all get that you're disappointed with the result of the election, but just as you couldnt accept the referendum, its sounds like you cant accept the far left committing hari kari either.
Its the debate of envy.

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:27 pm

Whoever gets in is going to be a loser. Even Blair, who was the last one to coalesce the peasant vote, was/is/always will be a complete prick. Discuss........

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:32 pm

taio wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:01 pm
There is a massive difference between Labour saying the NHS is up for sale, and all the various lies, deceptions, and avoidance of scrutiny that came out of the Tory campaign, and their press friends. That study showing 88% of their facebook ads being wrong or misleading was for just one week. They were putting up facebook ads before the election was even properly underway, and continued until the end.

The Tories aren't going to put up a "for sale" sign in front of the NHS (that we can all see), but it'll be on the table in US UK trade talks to a greater or lesser degree (and possibly in trade talks with other countries). I think that was Labour's point.

The election is over, and we have five years of a Johnson government, and my point has been around how he has been betraying the voters that swung the result for him. Just a couple of weeks after the election. Here's another promise he's dropped: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... eunion-law

The Tories received vastly more in donations than all the other parties combined during the election, and those people will be first in line for being looked after. They also live mostly in London.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:51 pm

BennyD wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:27 pm
Whoever gets in is going to be a loser. Even Blair, who was the last one to coalesce the peasant vote, was/is/always will be a complete prick. Discuss........
..."the peasant vote..."

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:00 am

taio wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:01 pm
Nope - I’d say it was a meaningless statement used for dramatic / shock tactics. Bit like saying the UK is up for sale.
What is indisputable is that the government has been talking for the last 2 years at least to the US about their drug companies having a greater piece of the NHS pie.
If you are happy for 2 stand up guys like Boris and Donald to act honourably and above board in the future in relation to the NHS then my guess is you are going to be very disappointed - neither of them have the best track record when it comes to financial corruption.

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:33 am

taio wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:44 pm
When he visited the NHS hospital during the election campaign.
He was just walking by the hospital incinerator at the time.......

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:01 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:32 pm
There is a massive difference between Labour saying the NHS is up for sale, and all the various lies, deceptions, and avoidance of scrutiny that came out of the Tory campaign, and their press friends. That study showing 88% of their facebook ads being wrong or misleading was for just one week. They were putting up facebook ads before the election was even properly underway, and continued until the end.

The Tories aren't going to put up a "for sale" sign in front of the NHS (that we can all see), but it'll be on the table in US UK trade talks to a greater or lesser degree (and possibly in trade talks with other countries). I think that was Labour's point.

The election is over, and we have five years of a Johnson government, and my point has been around how he has been betraying the voters that swung the result for him. Just a couple of weeks after the election. Here's another promise he's dropped: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... eunion-law

The Tories received vastly more in donations than all the other parties combined during the election, and those people will be first in line for being looked after. They also live mostly in London.
So do an awful lot of Labour voters.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:59 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gazett ... 449039.amp - more good news for working class people.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:31 pm

Good to see the government are keeping a type grip on the benefit scroungers. To many folk were swinging the leg under the last Labour government back in the 00s

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:53 pm

Top Claret wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:31 pm
Good to see the government are keeping a type grip on the benefit scroungers. To many folk were swinging the leg under the last Labour government back in the 00s
650k disabled had their benefits cut. Are they all just faking their disabilities?

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:06 pm

I've read plenty of newspaper stories in the last few years, in all newspapers regardless of pollical persuasion, about people being declared fit for work while on their death beds. The system has gone from one extreme to the other.

I don't mind paying my taxes so that society can provide a safety net, but I don't want that net to be administered in a cruel way or run by businesses who are paid for declaring people fit regardless of whether they are or aren't.

aggi
Been Liked: 2113 times

Post by aggi » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:58 pm

Looks like Keir Starmer is the big favourite now. Not sure if that's the route I'd have gone. I'd have gone for someone like Jarvis to start with.

mkmel
Been Liked: 1270 times
Has Liked: 2246 times

Post by mkmel » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:12 pm

Dan Jarvis for me too

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:15 pm

Not such a bad option, imo. Always strikes me as a fairly moderate person who just about manages to keep that lunatic Corbyn in check. Perhaps the only reasonably sensible option that these ‘members’ are likely to elect.

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:37 pm

I watch with interest as Labour try to find an electable leader and how there policies will morph to something different, however I am skeptical of any meaningful change happening that makes them a threat to taking power at the next election. I do believe changing the leader is a step in the right direction as I believe JC has been the face of failure for to long, however I do not understand the lack of urgency as I see it in making this move. I do understand it needs to be done properly, the last thing they need is to rush to elect the leader then realize it was a wrong move and have further problems, a bit of a conundrum I suppose.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Vino blanco » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:22 pm

Doesn't matter whom they choose: "they'll never beat the Bojo, they'll never beat the Bojo.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8485 times
Has Liked: 18202 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:25 pm

aggi wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:58 pm
Looks like Keir Starmer is the big favourite now. Not sure if that's the route I'd have gone. I'd have gone for someone like Jarvis to start with.
More chance with Jarvis Cocker

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5070 times
Has Liked: 6841 times

Post by bfcjg » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:22 pm

It's the policies they need to make realistic. Labour seem to forget that we all have pensions investments etc and it's always the economic competence of the party/leader that wins elections. Blair knew that better then most if not all modern day PMs

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 173 times

Post by Nonayforever » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:41 pm

AndrewJB would make a perfect next Labour leader.

No policies of his own but constantly nit picks at every detail of the Tories policies.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6477 times
Has Liked: 2908 times

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:45 pm

Just short of a little Hitler tash
20200102_204323.jpg
20200102_204323.jpg (113.51 KiB) Viewed 1833 times

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:25 pm

If it's any of the staunch remainers, Labour will drift into irrelevance (again).

If I had the casting vote, I'd go for Lavery. He has a decent chance should RLB decide not to stand, and someone from the Corbyn wing simply has to stand, don't they? It would seem odd to hand Labour back to the centrists without even a contest. (If I was RLB's advisor, I'd advise her to wait until the leadership contest after this one.)

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:40 pm

KS would be a good bet to stand up to Boris, but in a one person one vote and the power of Momentum and the Unions isn't KS too far to the right of the party? The hard left and Momentum will want JC mark 2