Next labour leader?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Re: Next labour leader?

Post by CleggHall » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:29 pm

They are all an improvement on grandad Corbyn who should now retire to his allotment. Labour was tactically and strategically inept, fighting a no-win Election on Boris's terms and at his timing. They could have let him swing for a few months more, leading to further Tory disagreement and infighting. Instead they suffered a reet trouncing at the hands of the electorate and will need to be very lucky to recover from this abyss. Brexit, Corbyn himself and the magic money tree manifesto all contributed to the 12 December disaster for which Long-Bailey assessed Corbyn's performance as 10 out of 10. That alone should result in her disqualification.

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:33 pm

Labour? Will someone please remind me who/what they are. :D

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by LeadBelly » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:41 pm

Labour? Will someone please remind me who/what they are. :D
Will someone please remind them who /what they are.

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:47 pm

Good luck with that one.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:58 pm

Trevor Philips has been suspended from the Labour Party because he expressed concern about Pakistani grooming gangs.

Front page of tomorrow's Times newspaper.

Islamophobia apparently......

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:19 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:58 pm
Trevor Philips has been suspended from the Labour Party because he expressed concern about Pakistani grooming gangs.

He's been suspended because he's been accused of making Islamophobic comments - just like those accused of racism or anti-Semitism, or other nastiness are suspended in most political parties in the UK. I say "most" because the Tory party is a lot more relaxed about racism than the others (had he been a Tory would it have made the front page of the Murdoch Times?). I suppose when you have a leader who writes racist dog whistle articles in newspapers, then you tend to turn a blind eye.

Let's have a look at the anti-Semitism scandal in Labour:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... estigation

Oh look, one person charged, and four others arrested and not charged. In a party with six hundred thousand members, what percent is that out of six hundred thousand?

Thank God some parties have rules, and actually follow them. Too bad our governing party don't.
This user liked this post: Taffy on the wing

dsr
Been Liked: 4576 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:39 am

AndrewJB wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:19 am
I suppose when you have a leader who writes racist dog whistle articles in newspapers, then you tend to turn a blind eye.
Saying it a million times doesn't make it true. I suppose it must be a Pavlov's dog whistle because every time you hear racism mentioned, you automatically think that saying "Muslim women have the right to wear outfits that look like pillar boxes" is as bad as it could possibly get.
This user liked this post: KateR

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:15 am

dsr wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:39 am
Saying it a million times doesn't make it true. I suppose it must be a Pavlov's dog whistle because every time you hear racism mentioned, you automatically think that saying "Muslim women have the right to wear outfits that look like pillar boxes" is as bad as it could possibly get.
He used the term "piccanninies" to describe black children. Go ahead and defend that one. And you know his massive rant about Muslim women was all about directing hate toward them, because that is what happened. He's a complete disgrace to our country. He's got three different inquiries into his behaviour in office as mayor, and PM. No PM has had this before. And the Russian report on the way they've affected our democracy - still not published. Even Tory bigwigs have come out against him, as a liar and a fraud. But go ahead and support him with all your might, because time will tell.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1030 times
Has Liked: 3187 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:36 am

AndrewJB wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:15 am
He used the term "piccanninies" to describe black children. Go ahead and defend that one. And you know his massive rant about Muslim women was all about directing hate toward them, because that is what happened. He's a complete disgrace to our country. He's got three different inquiries into his behaviour in office as mayor, and PM. No PM has had this before. And the Russian report on the way they've affected our democracy - still not published. Even Tory bigwigs have come out against him, as a liar and a fraud. But go ahead and support him with all your might, because time will tell.
The most amazing thing to me, is that Boris supporters don't see the similarities between him and Trump.
Many people who claim to hate Trump voted for Boris.....the mind boggles.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:16 am

dsr wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:39 am
Racism is racism, it doesn’t matter if it’s not the most racist thing someone could have possibly said, it’s still cretinous behaviour. What a sh1tty little comment from a sh1tty little poster.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:23 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:58 pm

The woke left is eating itself.....
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:33 am

No surprise to see them go for Phillips. Although it's a few years old now, his work with Channel 4 on British Muslims' attitudes was important and should be mandatory reading for anybody who says that it's just a small percentage of that demographic who hold difficult views for a secular, liberal, egalitarian democracy. Labour knows one of its last bulwarks of support and won't have forgiven him for that work.
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:26 am

AndrewJB wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:19 am
He's been suspended because he's been accused of making Islamophobic comments - just like those accused of racism or anti-Semitism, or other nastiness are suspended in most political parties in the UK. I say "most" because the Tory party is a lot more relaxed about racism than the others (had he been a Tory would it have made the front page of the Murdoch Times?). I suppose when you have a leader who writes racist dog whistle articles in newspapers, then you tend to turn a blind eye.

Let's have a look at the anti-Semitism scandal in Labour:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... estigation

Oh look, one person charged, and four others arrested and not charged. In a party with six hundred thousand members, what percent is that out of six hundred thousand?

Thank God some parties have rules, and actually follow them. Too bad our governing party don't.
With idiotic moves like this, governing isn't something that the labour party is going to be doing any time soon!

Instead it will continue to only appeal, to a dwindling number of metropolitan bubble dwelling, rump, who've clearly been radicalised by Far left media and newspapers.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:37 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:26 am
With idiotic moves like this, governing isn't something that the labour party is going to be doing any time soon!

Instead it will continue to only appeal, to a dwindling number of metropolitan bubble dwelling, rump, who've clearly been radicalised by Far left media and newspapers.
That's a standard Sun reader response to this. You're next going to tell me you haven't read the Sun for about eleventy-hundred years.Instead your opinions have been formed miraculously similar by osmosis.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:51 am

AndrewJB wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:37 am
That's a standard Sun reader response to this. You're next going to tell me you haven't read the Sun for about eleventy-hundred years.Instead your opinions have been formed miraculously similar by osmosis.
And that, is a standard Guardian, independent and Channel 4 news , aficionado response!

:lol:

Andrew JB - " everybody who has the audacity to have a different world view to me , is an easily lead , gullible, manipulated by the evil right wing media fool. Where as I'm a thoughtful, high minded, social justice warrior, with a string moral compass. Who's opinions, clearly prove I'm morally superior to those that exist outside my like minded metropolitan London bubble"

Trevor Philips on the radio this morning- " The labour party is in serious danger of becoming a brutal authoritarian cult"

Andrew JB response "daily mail reading nazi!" 🤪

Cryssys
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Cryssys » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:01 am

In suspending Trevor Phillips the Labour Party has demonstrated some integrity, a quality that is sadly lacking in the Conservative Party.

Do you remember when Boris Johnson promised on live TV that he would set up an independent inquiry to look at Islamophobia in the Conservative Party? I can, but it seems that Boris and the rest of the gang have now reneged on that promise and are trying to brush it under the carpet.

claretandy

Post by claretandy » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:05 am

Cryssys wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:01 am
In suspending Trevor Phillips the Labour Party has demonstrated some integrity, a quality that is sadly lacking in the Conservative Party.

Do you remember when Boris Johnson promised on live TV that he would set up an independent inquiry to look at Islamophobia in the Conservative Party? I can, but it seems that Boris and the rest of the gang have now reneged on that promise and are trying to brush it under the carpet.
How dare he highlight the fact that Muslims are raping children, how dare he, stone him !

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:38 am

claretandy wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:05 am
How dare he highlight the fact that Muslims are raping children, how dare he, stone him !
He should have kept his gob shut, to avoid, " harming community cohesion" and "offending cultural sensitivities"

Right! Back to the Guardian crossword.....

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:41 am

Been reading the comments under the Trevor Philips debacle, this morning, in The Guardian.

Looks like its, self awareness lacking, readers , are relishing the prospect of actually lengthening the Labour party's wilderness years!

Cryssys

Post by Cryssys » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:14 am

claretandy wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:05 am
What has that got to do with Boris Johnson breaking his promise to hold an independent inquiry into Islamophobia in the Conservative Party.

You and Ringo are both hypocrites of the highest order. You're quick to have a go at others but totally blind to the lies, failings and deceits of the Conservatives. Have you no honour or integrity?

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:32 pm

LABOUR- not prepared to stand up for working class girls in the north and prevent potential, further industrial scale rape, abuse and even branding of groomed children. Instead they attempt to silence people who speak out on their behalf.

Then they wonder why millions, of taken for granted voters, in the North finally turned their backs on them and the "Red Wall" turned Blue!
These 2 users liked this post: claretandy LeadBelly

Cryssys

Post by Cryssys » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:41 pm

Here's what the former chair of the Conservative Party has to say about the parties attitude to Islamophobia:

"The “poison” of Islamophobia has affected every level of the Conservative Party and is being ignored by the leadership"

The former chair of the Conservative party has said that she is "truly ashamed of my party," after a panel discussion at the party's conference was used to defend comments made by Boris Johnson about Muslim women.

I could quote much more but there seems little point.

Where's your moral outrage now Ringo/claretandy?

claretandy

Post by claretandy » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:51 pm

At least 1 Labour MP gets it

"Labour MP Khalid Mahmood says: "The charges are so outlandish as to bring disrepute on all involved in making them; and I fear they further add to the sense that we, as a party, have badly lost our way."

aggi
Been Liked: 2117 times

Post by aggi » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:27 pm

And this is why this kind of thing is bad in both parties.

Rather than sorting out racism, islamophobia, anti-semitism, etc you just point at the other side and say they're worse.

It's pretty clear elements of the Tory party have an Islamophobia issue yet people respond to stuff like Johnson cancelling the promised inquiry into Islamophobia with "Well look at the Labour Party and their antisemitism".

Similarly, there's obviously been an issue at the Labour party with anti-semitism. The correct response is to sort it out, not insist that if you look at surveys the Tory party is technically more racist than the labour party.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:02 pm

Few things are quite as vomit-inducing as rightwing virtue signalling over the victims of organised sexual abuse. Be honest. The issue interests you because it provides the opportunity to attack Muslim people. If you actually cared about young working class girls, then why vote for a party that has always let them down? Austerity fell hardest on the shoulders of single mothers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indepe ... html%3famp

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:09 pm

aggi wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:27 pm
And this is why this kind of thing is bad in both parties.

Rather than sorting out racism, islamophobia, anti-semitism, etc you just point at the other side and say they're worse.

It's pretty clear elements of the Tory party have an Islamophobia issue yet people respond to stuff like Johnson cancelling the promised inquiry into Islamophobia with "Well look at the Labour Party and their antisemitism".

Similarly, there's obviously been an issue at the Labour party with anti-semitism. The correct response is to sort it out, not insist that if you look at surveys the Tory party is technically more racist than the labour party.
wow, I mean a balanced post, quite novel for any political post on here, but very welcome and I for one agree with your point/post. The thread was supposed to be about the next Labour leader but has descended in to the usual, here's a chance for me to "blame" and ignore so much, it's always a problem when you wear your blinkers and ignore everything else.

RMutt
Been Liked: 373 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by RMutt » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:49 pm

KateR wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:09 pm
wow, I mean a balanced post, quite novel for any political post on here, but very welcome and I for one agree with your point/post. The thread was supposed to be about the next Labour leader but has descended in to the usual, here's a chance for me to "blame" and ignore so much, it's always a problem when you wear your blinkers and ignore everything else.
I can see both your and aggi’s point but I think what those on the left of the discussion are pointing out is the blatant hypocrisy of some of the threads contributors. It isn’t helped when a topic about the next Labour leader has Tories all over it who’s only interest is trying to gain some schadenfreude.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:51 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:02 pm
Few things are quite as vomit-inducing as rightwing virtue signalling over the victims of organised sexual abuse. Be honest. The issue interests you because it provides the opportunity to attack Muslim people. If you actually cared about young working class girls, then why vote for a party that has always let them down? Austerity fell hardest on the shoulders of single mothers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indepe ... html%3famp
It's £100 a month after all the bills have been paid they'll have to live on £25 a week, in fairness if you was working on minimum wage, paying the rent, upkeep of a vehicle, council tax, food, & the list goes on, you wouldn't be much better off working than claiming benefits, I'm not saying either situation is right but it's not just the single mums who are feeling the squeeze, a single working man poorly paid would consider the single mums situation as not far off as his own, when you also consider the child benefits & NHS prescriptions & other fringe benefits, a single mum would also likely to be doing Avon or Virgin V parties ect to supplement the income.

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:09 pm

RMutt wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:49 pm
I can see both your and aggi’s point but I think what those on the left of the discussion are pointing out is the blatant hypocrisy of some of the threads contributors. It isn’t helped when a topic about the next Labour leader has Tories all over it who’s only interest is trying to gain some schadenfreude.
I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to say, but sounds as though you think if the topic, as in this case, The Next Labour Leader, it should only have comments from Labour voters, or could it for instance Greens comment and you are only relating to Tory voters who should not be allowed to comment?

I would never have voted Labour while certain members of the leadership were in place, for my own reasons, yet I think many who have abandoned Labour lately and indeed voted for the Tories, will be interested in this race. It may cause them to change there allegiance once more in the future.

Is it not indeed some form of discrimination, akin to racism, to try and exclude people who think/look different? I believe Aggi's post point was to the fact that both parties have issues in these areas and finger pointing should stop and changes made where it counts. At the party level, but also posters on both sides do not need to make it a contest over who is worst, rather that we should all strive to make it right where we can in own little ways.

RMutt
Been Liked: 373 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by RMutt » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:13 pm

I’m talking about the posters who’s interest in the topic is only one of amused mischief making. They have no genuine interest in who leads the Labour Party.
This user liked this post: KateR