Colne FC racism row

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Colne FC racism row

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:09 pm

So it seems like the Colne striker and best player Sefton Gonzalez has quit the club after accusing the vice chairman of making racist remarks about him. It allegedly happened after the FA Cup game at Gateshead a few weeks ago.
Looks like Colne have tried to cover it up and are now denying it happened, so the player has walked and reported Colne to the FA. Have to say it doesn't look good on Colne, it's all over social media and they're getting absolute pelters.

Im_not_Robbie_Blake
Been Liked: 383 times
Has Liked: 234 times

Re: Colne FC racism row

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:28 pm

Is he the same who played for FC United? (I assume there won't be too many with the same name!)

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:29 pm

I think the fact that he “handed in his notice” and refused to play ..... which led to Colne fining him for missing matches after trying to brush it under the carpet is what has made Colne look even worse than they would have if they just apologised and actually cared.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:30 pm

Im_not_Robbie_Blake wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:28 pm
Is he the same who played for FC United? (I assume there won't be too many with the same name!)

He was at FCUM and Clitheroe and Stockport. He’s a decent player at that level!

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:31 pm

Im_not_Robbie_Blake wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:28 pm
Not sure, I know Colne signed him from Droylsden. You can tell just by watching him he's played at a higher level.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:35 pm

bfccrazy wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:29 pm
I think the fact that he “handed in his notice” and refused to play ..... which led to Colne fining him for missing matches after trying to brush it under the carpet is what has made Colne look even worse than they would have if they just apologised and actually cared.
Have to say it stinks to me of Colne getting together behind the scenes and agreeing to deny it to the hilt and then he can't prove it. Shame really after the progress they've made. Be interesting what happens with the manager and other players now, you'd think they'd want to back their mate up.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:39 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:35 pm
Have to say it stinks to me of Colne getting together behind the scenes and agreeing to deny it to the hilt and then he can't prove it. Shame really after the progress they've made. Be interesting what happens with the manager and other players now, you'd think they'd want to back their mate up.
I think the backlash from fans has hit them harder than expected. They rely on a lot of the locals to nip in for a pint and have a laugh supporting Colne and I know they have a great community feel around the club as my nephew has played against a Colne FC junior team in the final of a cup competition and they had big Colne flags all around the Darwen ground in prep for the match and to support the young lads.

Seeing comments on their fb page from fans saying they want this issue dealt with properly and if it’s just half assed then they shall turn their back on the club will be the driving factor in them changing their tune if they had opted for what you think they were going to do.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:55 pm

bfccrazy wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:39 pm
I think the backlash from fans has hit them harder than expected. They rely on a lot of the locals to nip in for a pint and have a laugh supporting Colne and I know they have a great community feel around the club as my nephew has played against a Colne FC junior team in the final of a cup competition and they had big Colne flags all around the Darwen ground in prep for the match and to support the young lads.

Seeing comments on their fb page from fans saying they want this issue dealt with properly and if it’s just half assed then they shall turn their back on the club will be the driving factor in them changing their tune if they had opted for what you think they were going to do.
I try and get up there if I'm not on the Burnley game. There's a really good community feel about the club with lots of really dedicated volunteers as well. Was up when they played Southport in the FA Trophy a few weeks ago, they're in the Conference North and even their centre backs couldn't cope with big Sefton. He'll be a massive loss, potentially the difference between going up and staying down.

Longsidelenny
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Longsidelenny » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:00 pm

On his way to south shields fc watch this space utc

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:10 pm

bfccrazy wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:39 pm
The trouble is how do you deal with it if it isn't true? It is one of those things that once it is made into an accusation then you are automatically guilty. No ifs,buts or maybes allowed. No evidence needs to be provided or considered. How can you prove you didn't say what you are accused of saying?

I know none of the antagonists in this story and, whilst I know where Colne is, I couldn't tell you a thing about Colne FC. So my words are a general comment on what recourse anyone has to such accusations?

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1152 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:31 pm

Seems big Sefton has changed clubs about 15 times in 4/5 years . If Colne manager has racial abused him then there’s no excuse .Though makes you wonder if Colne will have as many disgruntled erm “fans”as Oldham did ( about 10k) after the Ched Evans affair

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:39 pm

bfcmik wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:10 pm
The trouble is how do you deal with it if it isn't true? It is one of those things that once it is made into an accusation then you are automatically guilty. No ifs,buts or maybes allowed. No evidence needs to be provided or considered. How can you prove you didn't say what you are accused of saying?

I know none of the antagonists in this story and, whilst I know where Colne is, I couldn't tell you a thing about Colne FC. So my words are a general comment on what recourse anyone has to such accusations?
If none of the witnesses back up the claims then I don't suppose anything can be done really. There has clearly been other people present at the time, and Colne are claiming no one heard anything.
But for all we know the witnesses could be club officials or the accused's mates who have decided to back their mate up no matter what. The whole things a huge mess really.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:54 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:31 pm
Seems big Sefton has changed clubs about 15 times in 4/5 years . If Colne manager has racial abused him then there’s no excuse .Though makes you wonder if Colne will have as many disgruntled erm “fans”as Oldham did ( about 10k) after the Ched Evans affair
It's the Vice chairman not manager, that the complaints about.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:41 pm

I'm sure the FA will get involved now so that definitely won't be the last of it.

Jeremy_Bentham
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by Jeremy_Bentham » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:43 pm

. thinks Gonzalez is a quality player at that level. He’s seen him destroy Padiham once or twice in his Clitheroe days.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:43 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:39 pm
If none of the witnesses back up the claims then I don't suppose anything can be done really. There has clearly been other people present at the time, and Colne are claiming no one heard anything.
But for all we know the witnesses could be club officials or the accused's mates who have decided to back their mate up no matter what. The whole things a huge mess really.
From what Sefton has said, the vice chairman was drunkenly shouting “where is Sefton?” whilst drunk and trying to have a laugh/act the “lad” in front of his friends and then claimed he couldn’t see a 6’5 black bloke less than a metre away from him because it was dark outside.

Colne then said to Sefton that it was just because the vice chairman was drunk that he said it potentially (which should never make a difference or be an excuse).

It’s not looking good for Colne in the fans front as people are just saying they’ve tried to brush it under the carpet and deal with it in house which even Sefton seems to have tried to do but it wasn’t dealt with in a decent manner at all so he tried to leave the club to which Colne started fining him for missing matches.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:06 pm

bfccrazy wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:43 pm
From what Sefton has said, the vice chairman was drunkenly shouting “where is Sefton?” whilst drunk and trying to have a laugh/act the “lad” in front of his friends and then claimed he couldn’t see a 6’5 black bloke less than a metre away from him because it was dark outside.

Colne then said to Sefton that it was just because the vice chairman was drunk that he said it potentially (which should never make a difference or be an excuse).

It’s not looking good for Colne in the fans front as people are just saying they’ve tried to brush it under the carpet and deal with it in house which even Sefton seems to have tried to do but it wasn’t dealt with in a decent manner at all so he tried to leave the club to which Colne started fining him for missing matches.
Yeah I've seen the statement Sefton has put out. He's claimed some of his teammates were there when it happened, so why aren't they and Cunny backing him up? If it's true about Colne fining him then it looks even worse.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:10 pm

. wrote:
. thinks Gonzalez is a quality player at that level. He’s seen him destroy Padiham once or twice in his Clitheroe days.
He's too good for that level. Watched Colne a few times this season and defenders just can't handle him.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2293 times
Has Liked: 2166 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:16 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:06 pm
Yeah I've seen the statement Sefton has put out. He's claimed some of his teammates were there when it happened, so why aren't they and Cunny backing him up? If it's true about Colne fining him then it looks even worse.
Horrible situation, you just hope everyone does the right thing and tells the truth, which ever way it is. The repercussions are huge, and those there need to do the correct and decent thing. No hiding in this situation, you’re a coward if you do.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:52 pm

Looks like Colne have removed all comments from their Facebook page now regarding the alleged incident. Think the damage has already been done when they seemingly tried to brush it under the carpet.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:43 pm

bfccrazy wrote:

If that's racism I'm a china man ffs!

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2293 times
Has Liked: 2166 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:09 pm

I’d probably not use that term in a racism discussion Tim?

:o

1985tosh
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by 1985tosh » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:33 am

Quick update. A very close source to the club confirmed a full investigation was held and there was a right to appeal that wasn’t taken up by Sefton.

He has then continued to play for the club for 6 games, all of which were paid and made no further issue of the event.
Prior to the alleged incident the player heard of interest in him. After he made the allegation the player handed in his notice.
The club had to attend a league hearing and were found not guilty of all charges, due to inconsistencies in his statement.

If the player was really racially abused and then his teammates didn’t back up his story why wouldn’t he refuse to play for them again?? Why wouldn’t he appeal the decision when given chance?
All local and national press wouldn’t touch the story when hearing the details.

Could this be a player angling for a move to a higher level who would pay him more brass?
All will come out in the coming weeks when the player gets his move... feel sorry for those at a local club being dragged down by this. An easy comment to make by the player but a difficult reputation to shake off.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 508 times

Post by Claretforever » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:20 pm

The club themselves reported the situation to the FA, with the VC stepping down whilst the investigation took place. After an investigation there was no further action to be taken. The player, who hadn’t been paid for a few weeks as hadn’t been available, said he wanted to put everything behind him, get his head down and back to the football and help the team, who are struggling.

After a heart to heart he then received money from the Manager’s own pocket before putting his resignation in the following morning. The club have therefore told him he has to honour his contract now, so have refused to release his documents?

That’s what I’ve heard.

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:44 pm

He cant be that good they are 15 th in league

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:14 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:44 pm
He cant be that good they are 15 th in league
Got loads of games in hand due to their cup runs. He's a very good player at that level, Colne can kiss goodbye to any hope of promotion without him.

Jeremy_Bentham
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by Jeremy_Bentham » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:30 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:14 pm
Got loads of games in hand due to their cup runs. He's a very good player at that level, Colne can kiss goodbye to any hope of promotion without him.
. thinks Colne had no hope of promotion even with Sefton.

BFC Gold
Been Liked: 80 times
Has Liked: 38 times

Post by BFC Gold » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:01 pm

If the statement made by the vice chairman is true. then I`m struggling to see the racist connotations in it. I`m genuinely confused as he`s obviously trying to be humorous and if that is indeed the case then surely the player is of an age where he can see that?. If not then obviously he`s a very sensitive boy and maybe he`s better playing womens football, or is that sexist?