European Holidays after Brexit

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Stockbrokerbelt
Been Liked: 221 times
Has Liked: 137 times

Re: European Holidays after Brexit

Post by Stockbrokerbelt » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:20 pm

Heathclaret, just up the road at Manilva/Port Duquessa on top of the hill😄😄

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:29 pm

dsr wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:16 pm
But we aren't talking about visiting the USA, Canada or Australia, are we. We're talking about visiting Europe, and European countries don't fingerprint on arrival. Americans don't get their fingerprints taken on arrival in the EU, Schengen area or not; why would we? Obviously if the EU decides to play very silly beggars, and introduce draconian rules that apply only to the UK and not to the rest of the world, then we might suffer; but I don't think that's really likely - do you?
Well the plan is that as of sometime in 2020 fingerprinting will come into place for those entering from outside the EU so that would include the UK. Obviously you still have to answer considerably more questions, etc.

I'd say on average the EU queue goes 5-10 times faster than the non-EU one and that will probably increase when EES is introduced.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:48 pm

I'll not say too much about it, the pack will start howling, but I'll let you know mid-February. St. Anton here we come !

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:30 pm

aggi wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:29 pm
Well the plan is that as of sometime in 2020 fingerprinting will come into place for those entering from outside the EU so that would include the UK. Obviously you still have to answer considerably more questions, etc.

I'd say on average the EU queue goes 5-10 times faster than the non-EU one and that will probably increase when EES is introduced.
Will we be on the EU queue with Ireland, or will they make Ireland queue in the non-EU section? I suspect the former. And they can't have separate procedures between the UK and Ireland becuase there will be, then as now, free movement between the UK and Ireland.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:49 pm

Claret-On-A-T-Rex wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:50 pm
Sounds awesome, who needs Spain when you can go caravanning in Britain?

Given the number of people who died this year from flooding in Spain that’s in poor taste

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:18 pm

dsr wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:30 pm
Will we be on the EU queue with Ireland, or will they make Ireland queue in the non-EU section? I suspect the former. And they can't have separate procedures between the UK and Ireland becuase there will be, then as now, free movement between the UK and Ireland.
I don't really understand your point here.

If you're an Irish citizen with a document showing that then you'd be in the EU queue.

If you're a UK citizen with a document showing that then you'd be in the non-EU queue. (Obviously some may have both and would choose whichever they felt best.)

You join the queue representing your citizenship so where you're coming from is irrelevant. Are you suggesting that on a flight from America to France the UK citizens would be in the same queue as the Irish citizens because there is free movement between the UK and Ireland? I can't see how that's relevant.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:27 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:49 pm
Given the number of people who died this year from flooding in Spain that’s in poor taste
That isn't Spain, that's the best caravan site in the UK on the dryest day in July :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marvins Van
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Marvins Van » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:55 pm

Ok, question.
Once we are outside the EU, will duty free sales return to UK flights and ferries etc?

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5000 times
Has Liked: 6715 times

Post by bfcjg » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:13 pm

Claret-On-A-T-Rex wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:14 pm
Cultural trip then?
If theres a parrot show on at the bar then yes it is.

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:23 pm

Arrive in Europe brandishing my EU Eire passport, return home showing my British passport, avoids the queues.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:58 pm

No Ney Never wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:23 pm
Arrive in Europe brandishing my EU Eire passport, return home showing my British passport, avoids the queues.
It doesn't currently avoid any queues but most of my family already do that, and I think it might be very useful to be a dual national if freedom of movement ends.
The other big issue to be negotiated, (and not so far mentioned on this thread I don't think) is the EHIC card.
If our government can't reach an agreement on this, then I can see Travel (Health) Insurance costs rocketing, but again anyone who still has EU citizenship should have no problem.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2143 times
Has Liked: 3060 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:26 pm

ten bellies wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:51 pm
Refusing entry for returning Remainer holiday makers could solve any potential UK overcrowding issues.
Please do ;)

timshorts
Been Liked: 410 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:50 pm

Rowls wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:53 pm
Going abroad simply won't be possible after Brexit.

Britain will be closed down and you'll all die of hunger.
We seem to be quite good at keeping horses. We can eat those and then use the huge mass of land that they occupy to grow turnips, mangolds and other non immigrant vegetables.

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:02 pm

timshorts wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:50 pm
We seem to be quite good at keeping horses. We can eat those and then use the huge mass of land that they occupy to grow turnips, mangolds and other non immigrant vegetables.
Is that the points based irrigation system that Boris is proposing? :D

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:09 am

ten bellies wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:51 pm
Refusing entry for returning Remainer holiday makers could solve any potential UK overcrowding issues.
Sorry but shouldn't you be refusing entry to the Leave voters?
Remain voters voted to stay in the EU so why shouldn't they be going there on holidays?

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:33 am

nil_desperandum wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:58 pm
...Travel (Health) Insurance costs rocketing...
Depends what you mean but since you can get a worldwide policy currently for £50, I can't see how this would materially alter.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:04 am

thatdberight wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:33 am
Depends what you mean but since you can get a worldwide policy currently for £50, I can't see how this would materially alter.
Because insurers are likely to have to pay more medical bills so their overall costs will go up. It’s likely that travel insurance will go up across the board.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:19 am

martin_p wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:04 am
Because insurers are likely to have to pay more medical bills so their overall costs will go up. It’s likely that travel insurance will go up across the board.
"The SUN" - not generally regarded as "anti-brexit" - reported that medical costs for UK visitors / travellers / workers in the EU could rise by 900% in the event of a no deal brexit and the end of EHIC benefits.
[To be fair, I don't believe much of what is in the SUN, but it does identify that it's going to be a big issue.]
https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/3751927 ... al-brexit/

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:51 am

martin_p wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:04 am
Thanks for stating the bleeding obvious.

My point was, if you can get worldwide cover for £50 a year, including remote destinations and high cost areas such as the US, I'm not sure how a change in European cover through EHIC would, (my word) "materially" alter these costs to the extent that insurance costs would (not my word) "rocket". That's before we get into the quid pro quo that obviously the NHS will no longer provide reciprocal free care.

The Sun's extrapolation of Admiral's research is, by the way, garbage. Admiral's point was to show that things that are free now (or in some cases a very small cost) will not be free. It was not a piece about insurance costs. But, still it got cited here. Strange how that happens when usually it's written off as unreliable.

Still, that definitely wasn't just an acorn that fell...

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:56 am

Here's something a bit more sensible that sounds like there might well be price increases (rather obviously) but, sadly, fails to strike the note of doom and panic some are looking for.

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/travel ... ce/europe/

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:36 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:51 am
Thanks for stating the bleeding obvious.

The Sun's extrapolation of Admiral's research is, by the way, garbage. Admiral's point was to show that things that are free now (or in some cases a very small cost) will not be free. It was not a piece about insurance costs. But, still it got cited here. Strange how that happens when usually it's written off as unreliable.
No one said it was a piece about insurance costs, and the SUN, for once was pretty balanced in its article.
It quoted Admiral. Admiral, as I understand it, claim that the additional costs of treatment, (if the EHIC arrangement ends), could be as much as 900% higher than what it currently costs. It didn't claim that it would push premiums up, but the obvious conclusion is that someone will be left to bear the cost. Now who do you think that will be?
As you wrote "things that are currently free, .........., will no longer be free."
I don't detect in previous posts anyone striking a note of "doom or panic".
There'll be a cost. It may only be a small one, but - as in all cases - the wealthy will simply shrug it off, but for a hardworking family of 2 adults and 3 children it could make a big difference, and obviously those who are elderly or who have medical conditions will most likely notice a difference.

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:54 pm

Loch Lomond is lovely in August although the locals and the midges are savages.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:06 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:36 pm
It quoted Admiral. Admiral, as I understand it, claim that the additional costs of treatment, (if the EHIC arrangement ends), could be as much as 900% higher than what it currently costs. It didn't claim that it would push premiums up, but the obvious conclusion is that someone will be left to bear the cost. Now who do you think that will be?
As you wrote "things that are currently free, .........., will no longer be free."
I don't detect in previous posts anyone striking a note of "doom or panic".
There'll be a cost. It may only be a small one, but - as in all cases - the wealthy will simply shrug it off, but for a hardworking family of 2 adults and 3 children it could make a big difference, and obviously those who are elderly or who have medical conditions will most likely notice a difference.
The costs won't be any higher - who bears them will change. Which I said originally. Which I've said all along. Which will change premiums. But that's not enough. I need to go along with the original post which said the costs would "rocket" to keep you happy although you then say the cost may be small so it turns out we agree on the substance but I'm just not wailing loud enough for your liking.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:21 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:06 pm
The costs won't be any higher - who bears them will change. Which I said originally. Which I've said all along. Which will change premiums. But that's not enough. I need to go along with the original post which said the costs would "rocket" to keep you happy although you then say the cost may be small so it turns out we agree on the substance but I'm just not wailing loud enough for your liking.
Not sure why you're making such big personal issue out of this. Why would I want anyone to be wailing? I said that I expect premiums to rise. Most independent sources seem to agree. You seem to be agreeing. The article you quoted says so.
Ok, maybe using the term "rocket" was not the best choice of word to cover everyone, but I fancy that those who already pay a lot will be the highest risk and therefore the most penalised.
Not sure how you define "rocket" but I would say anything beyond say double the inflation rate might come into that category, but I acknowledge that it's a rather vague term.
I do however personally know a number of elderly people who have stopped doing long haul holidays outside the EU because the cost of travel insurance is prohibitively high.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:00 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:21 pm
Not sure why you're making such big personal issue out of this. Why would I want anyone to be wailing? I said that I expect premiums to rise. Most independent sources seem to agree. You seem to be agreeing. The article you quoted says so.
Ok, maybe using the term "rocket" was not the best choice of word to cover everyone, but I fancy that those who already pay a lot will be the highest risk and therefore the most penalised.
Not sure how you define "rocket" but I would say anything beyond say double the inflation rate might come into that category, but I acknowledge that it's a rather vague term.
I do however personally know a number of elderly people who have stopped doing long haul holidays outside the EU because the cost of travel insurance is prohibitively high.
I haven't (yet) got experience of buying insurance as an elderly person so can't comment. I know as a late 50 something, I can get a good policy, worldwide, for the whole year, for both medical and my other requirements for £50.

If that price "rockets" by, let's say, 3 times the current rate of inflation, that'll add £1.80 to the cost of my holidays.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:39 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:00 pm
I haven't (yet) got experience of buying insurance as an elderly person so can't comment. I know as a late 50 something, I can get a good policy, worldwide, for the whole year, for both medical and my other requirements for £50.

If that price "rockets" by, let's say, 3 times the current rate of inflation, that'll add £1.80 to the cost of my holidays.
I’m no insurance expert but wouldn’t your worldwide be based on the fact that 95%? of British holidays are taken in Europe. Where costs are minimal. Now the EU is about to become worldwide that 95%? will be taken into account.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4069 times
Has Liked: 6535 times

Post by bobinho » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:03 pm

Claret-On-A-T-Rex wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:13 pm
Imagine if the Brits stopped coming to Spain altogether.
The Spanish could market it as "Brit-Free" Holidays, tourists from all the world would flock there and boost the Spanish economy through the roof.
Wouldn’t happen overnight, and we are in the age of “everything now!”

People STILL fretting over brexit? Wonder what Europeans (millions of tourists) fret about?

It’ll all be fine. Business rules, not mard arsed politicians.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:19 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:21 pm
Hi nil_d, I can't get excited about the loss of, or retention of EHIC. I wonder how many of us actually look at the health section of our travel insurance policies and check whether health insurance cover is limited to EHIC within EU (and the other 4 included countries). Similarly, I wonder how many of us research the health care systems of the EU countries we may wish to visit on our holidays and check which ones operate a system where the patient has to contribute to their health costs.

Yes, as you get older, and/or as you have existing health conditions, you'd expect to pay more for health care element of travel insurance. If the figure quoted for a heart attack £32,000 is correct - I'm always going to make sure that I'm fully covered by my travel insurance policy.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:24 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:39 pm
I’m no insurance expert but wouldn’t your worldwide be based on the fact that 95%? of British holidays are taken in Europe. Where costs are minimal. Now the EU is about to become worldwide that 95%? will be taken into account.
Hi Trevor, is that "worldwide excluding USA" or "worldwide including USA?" - That's where you will see the difference in premiums. I'd assume that very nearly 100% of people who insure "worldwide including USA" are going to visit USA - and, maybe some other countries beside.

Keep an eye on the maximum length of individual trips and the total number of days travelling in the year. All no worries if you are only taking a 2 week holiday, but "gap years" and the like will need specialist travel insurance policies.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:58 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:24 pm
Hi Trevor, is that "worldwide excluding USA" or "worldwide including USA?" - That's where you will see the difference in premiums. I'd assume that very nearly 100% of people who insure "worldwide including USA" are going to visit USA - and, maybe some other countries beside.

Keep an eye on the maximum length of individual trips and the total number of days travelling in the year. All no worries if you are only taking a 2 week holiday, but "gap years" and the like will need specialist travel insurance policies.
I was generalising, Paul. As said I’m no expert.

Joe14
Been Liked: 249 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by Joe14 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:35 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:19 am
"The SUN" - not generally regarded as "anti-brexit" - reported that medical costs for UK visitors / travellers / workers in the EU could rise by 900% in the event of a no deal brexit and the end of EHIC benefits.
[To be fair, I don't believe much of what is in the SUN, but it does identify that it's going to be a big issue.]
https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/3751927 ... al-brexit/

I stopped reading after “THE SUN” :o

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:10 am

Joe14 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:35 pm
I stopped reading after “THE SUN” :o
That's generally a good idea, but it was really the quote within the article from Admiral Insurance that I was highlighting.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:35 am

Everyone hates certain publications until they write something they agree with.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:26 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:35 am
Everyone hates certain publications until they write something they agree with.
I've never had an issue with Admiral Insurance myself.
This user liked this post: Quickenthetempo

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3747 times
Has Liked: 7519 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:53 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:26 pm
What if you go as a couple and you both voted differently?
One can join the 5 mile High Club.
The other uses the outside loo. :twisted:

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:46 am

thatdberight wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:00 pm
I think you'd have a shock if you actually knew what over 80s with pre-existing medical conditions, (e.g. diabetes, and high blood pressure) are expected to pay if they want to got to USA. We're talking over 4 figures.
Out of interest I just got the best quote on MoneySupermarket for someone aged 85 who has had a heart problem, (but not recent) and diabetes, for a 14 day trip to USA. It was over £1700.
The majority were over £2000 per person.
My dad gave up on long haul nearly a decade ago because of the prohibitive cost of insurance, but still holidays in the EU because the costs are only fraction.