Burnley on " Sky " News ...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Re: Burnley on " Sky " News ...

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:54 pm

Burnleyareback2 wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:40 pm
It’s amazing that Labour / remain voters still think everyone is stupid for not voting the same as they did. Perhaps ironic would be a better word
Somebody should take the poor little lost lambs and explain to them that denial is not a river in Egypt.
These 2 users liked this post: Burnleyareback2 tiger76

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:05 am

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:21 pm
It’s ‘booming’ in terms of a few new bars but not from any government investment.
People just opened those bars on the off chance that the poverty stricken could afford to pay £4 a pint did they?

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:22 am

claret wizard wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:36 pm
Well they reopened the old A&E as an urgent care centre. Guess you’ve not be up to Burnley General recently to see the new buildings on Briercliffe Rd.
"Reopened " a sad , 5 hours if you're lucky, pathetic attempt at replacing a genuine, no need to track-to-Blackburn, A&E unit.

Just remind me again, who was the illegal war mongering government that oversaw Burnley's A&E being closed in the first place!?

I'll give you a clue. It starts with the letter "L" and ends with "abour"

Over to you......

mapinchina
Been Liked: 11 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by mapinchina » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:21 am

"the UK economy is strong, most people are in work and most people have disposable income"
Really ? The situation must have changed since I was last in England, 3 months ago.
When you claim most people are working, do you mean places like "BoHoo" ?

Heathclaret
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 179 times

Post by Heathclaret » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:28 am

Leisure wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:01 pm
Bo**ocks. Well quite a few working men voted for them. The majority of this country either are or have been working men!
Well Leisure, let’s see what the next five years brings in terms of investment in the north. The “ I’m alright jack “ attitude with society nowadays is obvious.

If I’m wrong, I’ll gladly hold my hands up.

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:39 am

mapinchina wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:21 am
"the UK economy is strong, most people are in work and most people have disposable income"
Really ? The situation must have changed since I was last in England, 3 months ago.
When you claim most people are working, do you mean places like "BoHoo" ?
Sadly there will always be people working at places like BooHoo and other unskilled jobs, 100 years ago people round here worked in the mills and forty years ago the “shoe factories”. All these jobs provided an option of promotion if you showed a bit of aptitude now with the gig economy there is no career progression in many jobs which lead to the hopelessness feeling.

The major problem is that is unlike 40 years ago if you were in that sort of job you still had enough spare income to buy a house, run a car, have a holiday, watch the football and have a pint or two at the weekend. Now if you are on that type of minimum wage job you are just getting by where you are above the threshold for benefits. I am by no means a natural Conservative but it is the people who “play by the rules” that Johnson has to help so they can see some sort of future if not for them their children. They have lent him their vote, I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he will listen to his Mp’s representing the less prosperous areas of the country.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:25 am

Bfcboyo wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:37 pm
The food banks are needed but are also badly abused.

The foodbanks are needed- just about sums up the sorry plight we are in.

thomaspaine
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by thomaspaine » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:36 pm

Clarets4me wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:06 pm
They actually interviewed one of the people manning the food bank bins ....

I was in M&S earlier today and saw eight people, mostly retired, packing people's bags and collecting money for Pendleside Hospice .... I would suspect most of them were Conservative voters .... the evil, uncaring b*****ds ! :roll: :roll:
The key words "I would suspect"......dont. If you were going to err on the side of caution then the evidence would suggest that the Tories in general don't give a toss about charity and the less fortunate, otherwise there would not be people living on the streets in every town and city in the country.They have had 10 years to address this stain on our countries record and the problem continues to get worse.

claret wizard
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by claret wizard » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:21 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:22 am
"Reopened " a sad , 5 hours if you're lucky, pathetic attempt at replacing a genuine, no need to track-to-Blackburn, A&E unit.

Just remind me again, who was the illegal war mongering government that oversaw Burnley's A&E being closed in the first place!?

I'll give you a clue. It starts with the letter "L" and ends with "abour"

Over to you......
Think we're in agreement, it was the Tories who reopened the Urgent Care Centre, well the Tory Lib Dem pact with Birtwistle driving it locally. Lots of money being pumped into the NHS in Burnley, real money, not dodgy PFI contracts like the Schools (let's not even start that discussion) were.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:31 pm

I thought Birty was promising a full blown A&E? BTW: I not batting for Labour here - it was closed on their watch so **** 'em.

I wonder if our new Tory MP will be up for reopening it and I don't just mean empty promises? If the A&E was reopened on his watch, he'd be fairly certain of a second term.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:56 pm

Heathclaret wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:28 am
Well Leisure, let’s see what the next five years brings in terms of investment in the north. The “ I’m alright jack “ attitude with society nowadays is obvious.

If I’m wrong, I’ll gladly hold my hands up.
I think as a society we're getting more and more selfish. You can tell just by reading some of the posts on here from the Tory contingent. "Me and my family are doing OK so tbh I couldn't care less about the less fortunate in society" seems to be the gist of it.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1647 times
Has Liked: 402 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:17 pm

For the benefit of jrgbfc, the "selfishness" actually comes from the liberal left, the moderate right want social cohesion and a focus on community, nation and family.

There is nothing wrong with liberalism per se, but it has been hijacked by people who create their own echo chambers and get offended by perceived injustice from anything sitting outside it. They are selfishly hijacking the political agenda, and it is all about them - THEIR right to smoke pot, THEIR right to self declare, THEIR right to have free movement of people etc etc. These rights affecting others never crosses their minds, it is fundamentally selfish and this trait tends to affect Lib Dems more than any other, and the Labour leadership cult too (less so the rank and file).

That is why ordinary working class people have embraced the Conservatives in huge numbers and would have been even greater numbers were in not for the toxicity Cameron's austerity led to, and the Brexit party pinching 642,000 votes.

If you go into Conservative Member's events up and down the country and look at the issues discussed, they will be about giving, opportunity for all, aspiration, community cohesion etc. Labour used to stand for all that too (economically left but like the Conservatives socially right of centre) - no longer.

So I'm sorry, Conservatives being selfish, it's nonsense. Until other parties wake up to this, they will lose every time.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2753 times

Post by Stayingup » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:22 pm

Dy1geo wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:39 am
Sadly there will always be people working at places like BooHoo and other unskilled jobs, 100 years ago people round here worked in the mills and forty years ago the “shoe factories”. All these jobs provided an option of promotion if you showed a bit of aptitude now with the gig economy there is no career progression in many jobs which lead to the hopelessness feeling.

The major problem is that is unlike 40 years ago if you were in that sort of job you still had enough spare income to buy a house, run a car, have a holiday, watch the football and have a pint or two at the weekend. Now if you are on that type of minimum wage job you are just getting by where you are above the threshold for benefits. I am by no means a natural Conservative but it is the people who “play by the rules” that Johnson has to help so they can see some sort of future if not for them their children. They have lent him their vote, I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he will listen to his Mp’s representing the less prosperous areas of the country.
Hopefully Johnson will back up what he has said and encourage investment in places like Burnley. From what I have read of what he says he will. All political parties have moved to the left and I think Johnsons government will move more in that direction.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2753 times

Post by Stayingup » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:30 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:56 pm
I think as a society we're getting more and more selfish. You can tell just by reading some of the posts on here from the Tory contingent. "Me and my family are doing OK so tbh I couldn't care less about the less fortunate in society" seems to be the gist of it.
Really you want to shake your head you do and wake up to world around you. Your off beam again. Very much so. Intolerance rests in North London where they are saying northern voters are stupid AND unbelievably saying the Labour was not Left enough. My Goodness. Amd they are rich and dont care about you. Think about that. Thats your modern Labour party and due to this its going nowhere. They may even elect a leader who represents South Islington to replace one who represents North Islington. I wonder if she woukd sing the national anthem on Remembrance Sunday?

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:19 pm

Did you see Burnley on Monday’s 6pm BBC1 news?

They only ever film the poorer parts of town. Makes me sad they never show the nicer parts.

No doubt we will be on again when they do an article about the cheapest houses in the country.

Does it affect us? Yes of course it does. People decide not to come shopping here or visiting at a weekend or thinking of it as a place to make home.
This user liked this post: claretfern

Venkys4eva
Been Liked: 139 times
Has Liked: 183 times

Post by Venkys4eva » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:32 pm

Have to say as a former Labour voter and now proud conservative member im so pleased with my choice of party leader. :mrgreen:

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:50 pm

The BBC could have run that news item and juxtaposed it with a different part of our town along with the surrounding countryside. Even pointing their TV camera a few degrees higher would have shown the green hills.

There is poverty here and it's stark and I've no problem with them showing that aspect of the area or indeed the people on the rough end of it, but yes, TV reporting like this does indeed affect our town and not only its shopping footfall, but people coming to here work, like the much needed doctors and teachers and other professionals along with businesses that might wish to locate or setup, but no, we'll show the worst part of Burnley Wood while avoiding anything that might show the town in a positive light.
This user liked this post: claretfern

RMutt
Been Liked: 373 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by RMutt » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:01 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:50 pm
The BBC could have run that news item and juxtaposed it with a different part of our town along with the surrounding countryside. Even pointing their TV camera a few degrees higher would have shown the green hills.

There is poverty here and it's stark and I've no problem with them showing that aspect of the area or indeed the people on the rough end of it, but yes, TV reporting like this does indeed affect our town and not only its shopping footfall, but people coming to here work, like the much needed doctors and teachers and other professionals along with businesses that might wish to locate or setup, but no, we'll show the worst part of Burnley Wood while avoiding anything that might show the town in a positive light.
Don’t worry. If my discussions on here are anything to go by, no one takes any notice of the media and every body makes their own decisions regardless of the information they are given. Ergo, the world will think Burnley is lovely.

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:41 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:25 am
The foodbanks are needed- just about sums up the sorry plight we are in.
I was trying to be diplomatic.

The food banks are needed by 1% of the users the rest of them pished and smoked their benefits away or couldn't make an appointment to the job centre once a week .
This user liked this post: Greeny

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:45 pm

Bfcboyo wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:41 pm
I was trying to be diplomatic.

The food banks are needed by 1% of the users the rest of them pished and smoked their benefits away or couldn't make an appointment to the job centre once a week .
Any evidence or stats to back up this claim or can we chalk it off as you talking bullsh*t?
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Bfcboyo

Post by Bfcboyo » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:05 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:45 pm
Any evidence or stats to back up this claim or can we chalk it off as you talking bullsh*t?
Definately the latter.

Bfcboyo

Post by Bfcboyo » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:09 pm

I wouldn't mind helping at one actually to make a fair assessment before throwing wild biased comments about the need for them on wild camping and fishing trips on cold winter nights.

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:43 pm

We are a town in poverty and have been for years, i think the club could help some deprived fans and look at their incomes and let them pay what OAP pay if they fall into a genuine financial everyday battle.

All it needs is an assessment of there incomings and out comings and a figure set to qualify.

Why should a low income fan family pay as much as a millionaire to watch a game.
Fanatical low income fans are probably going short to watch there heroes in bleak
times and this does happen.
Just a thought maybe do it on a half season system basis